RAF Messerschmitt (JKRV)

This humble and plain model represents one of the more "gaudily" marked Royal Yugoslav AF Bf-109E-3s.

They were so plain and modestly marked that its no small wonder that they're not often seen in model form.

The Kingdom of Yugoslavia expensively bought cca. 70 machines from 1939-1940 in order to mantain good relations with Nazi Germany that was starting to surround its borders. And since Yugoslavia also rellied on Western allies from the WW1 they bought some Hurricanes mk.Is from UK as well as a licence to produce them. The domestic Ikarus company also managed to produce about 12 IK-3 fighters. All 3 types of fighters were involved in brief and tragic April war, when Germany, Italy and Hungary attacked and in 12 days overpowered the isolated and internaly divided Kingdom and its armed forces which were full of traitors (mostly comanding officers).

The only units that were able and did provide an organized and somewhat succesful armed resistance were fighter and bomber groups and a lonely river Monitor Drava.

JKRV Messerschmits prooved their worth when trying to defend the capital city Belgrade against the overwhelming might of experienced Luftwaffe and the sheer courage of their pilots became a legend that is still remembered and was the sole motivation for this model. Surviving machines were mostly prematurely burned on the ground during hasty retreats and overall panic that was spread by traitors and Nazi symphatizers.

Eduard Weekend kit was used and I was not particulary happy with it. AirVallejo and Revell acrylics were used and LiftHere decals.

Its mostly OOB.

Josip

069.jpg

070.jpg

064.jpg

080.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

• Like 28

Thank you.

Yes it was. Especially for Luftwaffe bomber crews. German 109s were otherwise very vividly painted and marked with yellow noses but still, a 109 is a 109. German ones were also more modern versions with explosive shells and tracers as well as drop tanks and head armour plates. Ofc. their pilots were all veterans and that was a tremendous advantage.

I don't think so as their performances differed and they were also in different units. The 109s were the best machines and as such were stationed mostly in the vicinity of Belgrade, while Hurricanes covered other sectors. Most of them saw very limited action ast they were deliberately sent to patrol the areas without enemy activity.

The only surviving Hurricane was later repainted in Regia Aeronautica markings and flown to Italy.

• Like 1

My problem with Eduard kit was that I have intended from the start to build it in closed form. The Eduard kit however is ment to be displayed open and some care and hard work is involved to saw off the top of the engine block and get pieces of cowling to blend in. The aft part of the canopy wouldn't fit without sanding and both wing radiators needed puttying and I have botched it.

To put it short, I 'd be more happy with Tamiya kit.

Josip

A beautiful model and a fine tribute to those pilots who fought against impossible odds during the tragedy that befell Yugoslavia.  I hadn't realised the Yugoslav Air Force had operated the type so thank you for the background history.  I actually like the scheme as it shows to advantage the sleek lines of the Emil.