Westland Wessex HC2 Fly 1/32nd

HL-10

With regards to the intake mesh, this is how it was done.

A very kind chap, DMC, sent me a piece of mesh after I accepted that the aluminium bodywork repair mesh from Halfords was way too big!

The mesh I was sent is the same as the mesh used in these £1 tea strainer/sieves you can get in Morrison's kitchen section:

IMG_1269.jpg

I annealed it over the kitchen stove, heating it until it glowed red, then let it cool. Be aware, the handle gets very hot!

Once annealed, I cut out the mesh and as the heating had softened it, it was easy to crush form around a block of Milliput I had forced into the resin FOD cover provided in the kit, taking care to align the mesh so it runs "North- south & east- west":

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

The whole thing can be smoothed over the block using a brush handle.

Once shaped it can be trimmed to size using a pair of nail scissors (Not the wife's!!!!)

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

The trimmed edges are sharp and very stabby(?) so take care.

To make the internal frame I used solder which is easy to cut and shape.

The external frame running around the outside edge, was made using self adhesive aluminium tape.

Hope this helps :)

Angelo.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all very much indeed for all the comments, compliments, advice and support throughout this build.

I am calling it done and I'm heading over to RFI.

IMG_1299.jpg

All the best,

Angelo :)

• Like 12

Well I've been following this one and started roughly at the same time and I'm just doing the cockpit :huh:, so amazed by the speed of some builds. Anyway splendid build and finish 👍

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Fantastic build! I've always loved the type, remember hearing and seeing some Belgian Choctaws overfly my hometown. On the subject of Choctaws: is there a conversion availbale for the Fly kit to make it an SH-34? Would love to make Dutch navy example:

4PxvdcE.jpg

Edited by Grunticus
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 9/15/2019 at 5:49 AM, Grunticus said:

Fantastic build! I've always loved the type, remember hearing and seeing some Belgian Choctaws overfly my hometown. On the subject of Choctaws: is there a conversion availbale for the Fly kit to make it an SH-34? Would love to make Dutch navy example:

4PxvdcE.jpg

yes i made one.

• 2 weeks later...