Westland Wessex HC2 Fly 1/32nd

HL-10

Need some advice from the Wessex experts regarding the main rota pleas.

The kit's instructions say that one of the blades should be painted completely yellow.

Is this only on Air Sea Rescue machines, or would a troop transport also have it?

Many thanks :)

XR525 the Wessex HC2 preserved in RAF Cosford Museum has one yellow blade but it should only be on the upper surface out of view of the crew

The purpose of the yellow blade is to increase visibility in the search role but many of the HC2s I have seen pictures of had the same detail

One upper blade in yellow ony, I  believe the lower surface in yellow could endanger the aircraft if the flicker effect  hit the pilot in the hover near obstructions

The Modeldecal instructions give dark green uppers for the rest although I have seen many blades which are just dark

Dark something, some look almost black or faded charcoal grey

Its a good subject for discussion, there's lots of real Wessie experts round here

• Like 1

A single yellow blade was quite rare on 72 Sqn. The standby A/C had a secondary SAR role but generally, the less conspicuous the better if you were low level in South Armagh.

The harness was a five point but I recall the seats were black as was the cockpit interior. The instrument panel was generally grey painted ply. I don't know what the underside of the kit seat is trying to portray. The seat base simply flipped up and was held on to by a wire either side.

There was also a large piece of armour plate that hinged outboard when the window was slid open. You could do it in the air but they were known to fall off (1500' over Warren Point comes to mind)!

Do a google search for 72 Sqn Wessex, there are a couple of photos that show the armour well. If the A/C was going out of NI, it was removed as you would never get out with a PSP attached if you ditched.

Edited by tarlucan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I would agree with Perdu, top side of one rotor blade in yellow.  They were mainly done like this for SAR, but could occasionally be seen fitted to camo trooper HC.2s as well, guessing as parts were moved around. 

@hendie, I think some sort of grill for the intake would go down a storm.

I looked around a Wessex just last week, I don't remember being able to see the engine fronts, more a curved wall leading to ducts.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Tye yellow-top blades quickly get quite battered and require regular re-spraying - certainly on SAR Sea Kings, & I assume Wx the same.  Very effective mod; it's astonishing how clearly they stick out when seen from above.  Clearly any non-SAR HC2 with a yellow blade wasn't anticipating any air-to-air threat!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information, as usual you are a wealth of knowledge! :)

I have adjusted the seat harness to a five point configuration, but just adding the crotch strap!

IMG_1209.jpg

Next bit of work was to rectify a small problem.

Fly only include 3 flat transparent pieces for the cabin window, and none for the door!

A template was made using masking tape:

IMG_1213.jpg

The kit includes the larger windows for the Navy version, so I transferred the template to one of those, and cut myself a new clear panel for the door.

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

And I have the problem solved :)

IMG_1217.jpg

Next I fitted the instrument panel to the shroud and put it into place in the cockpit.

Fly provide individual decals for the instruments, but some are out of register :( .

So maybe some replacements from our aftermarket friends should be sourced next time? (if there ever is a next time!)

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

The cabin door was fitted to it's etched guide rails and it can actually open and close! :)

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

I was going to call it a day, but I couldn't sleep so I just sat down at my desk and had a long session adding the undercarriage, canopy, and various other fixtures and fittings:

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

Still a lot more pieces to add, and I have ordered some etched mesh as I want to have a go at making the intake screen, rather than used the resin cover.

Stay tuned!

Thanks for continuing to look, and all the input,

Angelo :)

• Like 8

You should have four HC.2 square cabin windows in the kit, one with an outward bulge.  The bulged window is the forward port side one, sometimes the SAR cabin door had a bulged window as well.

Nice work around though.

I hate to say this now, but as far as I'm aware HC.2s had a black instrument panel and forward cockpit area. 

Sadly ex Navy HAS.3 XT257 painted and preserved in RAF SAR markings is often photographed and stated as being a HC.2, which doesn't help modellers at all.

Absolutely superb work there, and love all the detail bits being added.

Must admit I hadn't realised that the HC.2 served in Arctic camo before now,

p1315501882-4.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

You should have four HC.2 square cabin windows in the kit, one with an outward bulge.  The bulged window is the forward port side one, sometimes the SAR cabin door had a bulged window as well.

OOPS!:oops:

Yep, you're totally right! I have dropped one here!

All sorted, window changed over for the bulged one.

I thought that it was only the rescue helicopters that had the bulged window.

Thanks for that :)

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I hate to say this now, but as far as I'm aware HC.2s had a black instrument panel and forward cockpit area. 

Not the one's I worked on.  Black cockpit with grey instrument panel.  They never had a yellow blade either.  Always best to check references of the actual a/c you are modeling when possible

• Like 2

Interesting, the ones I saw go through HMF had black panels, looking at references (inc our own walkaround) that seems to be the case also. But glad that's not always so as HL-10 has done a cracking job.

I have got a couple of pictures of 72 Sqn camo HC.2s with a yellow blade.

Absolutely agree at looking for reference shots of the particular machine that you are modelling.

• Like 2

Definitely positively absolutely find the bird you want to model first, do not look at the Wessex I am doing for confirmation of this

I was well into the build before I hit upon the HMS Antrim machine

Anyway, I'd like to add to the confusion with a couple of pictures out of my Wessexy files

Here the dash (I.P.) of XR517

Which was being lovingly worked on sometime ago

xr517_03.jpg

This may have been when she was in service, the photographs gave no clues, sorry

This one definitely not in service, it is XR525 in Cosford's Museum and I took it years ago

wes7.jpg

shows of course the noses of the engines hanging down inside the filter housing

But you cannot see if they are visible from above, in front

I think this next one shows that it is unlikely you could see them with the filter housing dropped down, there is a lot of housing before the air passages get to rising up

wes8.jpg

And for fun, here is the view inside the jetpipe, not sure if Fly gives you this

SDC10590.jpg

If this interference is unwanted, say so and I can get them removed for you

I do have lots of pictures of XR525 if they are needed

XR525 and XR517 are HC2s, by the way

• Like 5

72 Sqn left Odiham in about 1980 & went off to Benson.

Up to that time I never saw a yellow blade, or the 

I.R. sensors* you've fitted fore & aft.

You'll need to find dated pictures and go from them

to match the kit fitted with a particular colour scheme.

I don't think you could even see the starter bullets down the intake!

*I think that's what they are.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

so I'm thinking Leuchars?

Correct!

HL-10

I just looked at some slides I took of XV720 at Leuchars and you cannot see the engines.

Regarding the mesh grille on the intake. They did fly without it (on SAR anyway,not sure about SH) but sods law pops up and I can't find my photos of XT675 so here's an internet grab of XV730 in Cyprus

club.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Correct!

...I can't find my photos of XT675 so here's an internet grab of XV730 in Cyprus

Thanks Scimitar!

Here's a nice one of XT675 courtesy of AirTeam Images,

http://www.airteamimages.com/westland-wessex-28helicopter29_XT675_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_63342_large.html

Is this the one that's going to be modelled?

• Like 1

Confusion reigns! I think I'll go and see about a brain transplant.

XS675 and XT670 were shiny (ish) yellow with 'B Flt',22 Squadron at Leuchars. Never flew in XT675 so no idea where she appeared from :huh:

Must get around to setting up a replacement photo thingy and scan some of those 1980s slides.

All that aside,one never tires of seeing the mighty Walter.

• Like 2

You can never have too many pics of the Wessex!

The ex-Bristow ones were much more colourful weren't they?

http://www.pilotoviejo.com/images/wessexan065la.jpg

2 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Edited by Scimitar
Sorry,photo keeps jumping back to a link

On 08/09/2017 at 07:51, Scimitar said:

Correct!

HL-10

I just looked at some slides I took of XV720 at Leuchars and you cannot see the engines.

Regarding the mesh grille on the intake. They did fly without it (on SAR anyway,not sure about SH) but sods law pops up and I can't find my photos of XT675 so here's an internet grab of XV730 in Cyprus

I wonder if its only me that sees a yellow top surface to the blade overhanging the co-pilot/observers seat...

Aha its RAF make that codriver  ;)

Those yellow blades got everywhere after a bit, obbyussly