Westland Wessex HC2 Fly 1/32nd

HL-10

Courtesy of my wonderful son, I have a new project.

Fly's 32nd scale Wessex.

It is a mixed media kit, injection, resin and etch.

IMG_1164.jpg

There isn't much in the way of aftermarket (good! :) ) so any modification or "up detailing" will have to be home made.

I'm no too taken with the offered schemes:

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

I'll be raiding my decal spares to attempt to make an RAF troop carrier.

Work starts on the cabin.

The framing has to be added using parts provided, the stringers have to be cut to fit between the ribs.

They do not provided enough of the etched strengtheners so I made sure they were applied to where they would be seen:

IMG_1155.jpg

The troop seats are printed on paper, which have to be cut out.

The base frames are the kit's plastic parts, but I replaced the support poles with lengths of steel tubing:

IMG_1157.jpg

More to follow, thanks for looking,

Angelo :)

• Like 16

Horrid set of colour schemes

I'm going to enjoy this, are you considering the old Green, Grey and Black scheme or the later NATO Green, Lichen scheme?

Both make Walter a very handsome chap

I'll be back here with the bar next to hand, popping a few tinnies no doubt

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

What do you expect?  It's a Mk2 not a Mk5...

[Exit left running as fast as poss]

You have seen that Bl**dy awful yellow topped cra**y scheme I've tried on a HAS3 haven't you, the nice steady HC2 will do me in future

😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I'm going to enjoy this, are you considering the old Green, Grey and Black scheme or the later NATO Green, Lichen scheme?

Definitely the green, grey and black scheme of old! :)

I've been looking at pictures on line and there is a lot of detail that can be added to the main cabin in the way of piping, wiring bundles and boxes, so I am going to add as much as can bee seen.

• Like 3

I have that yellow-topped scheme in my future, so I prefer to keep my swear-words in reserve for when I am stripping the paint off after yet another bodged attempt at making it look "Golden" [yeah, right].  [There is, however, a special level of Crispo-ire reserved for the Italieri 1/48 HAS3 boxing, which includes a completely spurious all-yellow "RAF Rescue" scheme for a mark that was never operated by the Air Force.]  

But the 60-70s ASW yellow top was still a great scheme.

All joking / ranting aside, I am the sort of modeller who prefers their productions to look like an every-day workhorse; I've never been one for special schemes that were perhaps worn for a couple of days for one particular air show (let alone the - to me - unaccountable obsession with tiger schemes).  Clearly I am in a minority, judging by the sheer number of after-market transfer releases featuring 'special' schemes, and market forces seldom lie.  I guess it's the same argument as producing not one, but two different German WW2 aircraft carriers in 1/350, neither of ever put to sea and one of which was barely even started... yet apparently there is no market for, say, an Ark Royal 4 in the same scale.  Weird, but they'll have done their market research!

It certainly seems somewhat perverse of Fly to have provided 4 schemes, not one of which is representative of the dark green of the majority of HC2s.

[Apologies to @HL-10 for thread hi-jack.  High horse is now calm & back in her stable] 

• Like 7

I know it sounds stupid but I have lots of pictures taken underneath XR525 at Cosford

The colours re different but I suspect much of the undersides remained the same during her HC2 service

If you want em I'll put em in thingybox, thingy

DROPBOX

That's the thingy.  😛

Crisp, you and agree so much its a good job Debs monopolised you last year at Telford, we might still be nattering in some dark dingy Shropshire pub

I know a couple...

If I had the nerve I'd strip mine to the plastic but it isn't going to happen now

Anyway, we can watch this one Fly

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I've seen one built up it looks the part but needs some work to get it there.

I've seen many threads started, but none yet completed. It almost makes me want to bring mine out of the stash (if I could figure out what to do it) 

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I've never been one for special schemes that were perhaps worn for a couple of days for one particular air show (let alone the - to me - unaccountable obsession with tiger schemes).

completely agree there Crisp. 

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

Now this is a coincidence, I've a Fly model Mk5 on the bench at the mo. My plan is a quick out of the box job and take notes as I go. Then revisit the type with a second Mk5 but do a 'Hendie' on it, engine bays, trans and so on. 

I digress, nice to see another 1/32 Wessex on the site, but I do hold with my fellow matlots, it's a crab cab😫 Mind you I would be tempted to do the mk2 in the 2FTS RAF Shawbury scheme, the red, green, grey and black breaks up the yellow peril of two tone green of 60 or 72 sqdns.

I'll pull up a pew and watch with intent at this build.

• Like 2

Not liking the schemes, what's not to love about the Royal Aircraft Establishment scheme?!

The second option (72 Sqn) is the standard late camo scheme, but with (very) odd colouration on the paint guide, and the Cyprus grey scheme is fairly representative of the type.

Your opted for DSG/DG & black scheme is indeed a classic, I do like this though,

1037920-large.jpg

Air Britain - Ken Elliott

Looking forward to seeing this big old beast shape up!

Edited by 71chally
added pic link
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There is, however, a special level of Crispo-ire reserved for the Italieri 1/48 HAS3 boxing, which includes a completely spurious all-yellow "RAF Rescue" scheme for a mark that was never operated by the Air Force. 

Crisp

Just saying

Westland_Wessex_HAS3_XT257.jpg

I know, but obviously some bugger won a bet for painting the beast

:(

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Crisp

Just saying

Westland_Wessex_HAS3_XT257.jpg

I know, but obviously some bugger won a bet for painting the beast

:(

I knew about that, Bill (& presumably that's where Italieri got the idea from).  But it is no more authentic than the so-called 771 NAS / RAF 50:50 painted Sea King in the FAA Museum, which is actually a Mk6 that never flew with either SAR outfit.

And don't get me started on the Buccaneer S1 cockpit at Cosford.  RAF camouflage...  

• Like 2

Hello Angelo,

Very interesting project,

Can I take a seat and poppin'in from time to time ?

Old scheme is a tasty choice ! Go on !

Have a very nice modelling day !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

The original LAG undersides scheme is almost too pretty, white lettering as well

Lovely

Crisp we all knew you knew, but if anyone makes the Italeri one (as if...) they will have evidence that the machine did look like that

and all the other anomolous schemes

I still bet the HAS3 was "DONE" for a bet

• Like 1

Thank you for all the support, comments and advice! :)

The main cabin interior has a lot of exposed wiring and plumbing.

Working from some photos I found online I added a representation of this, its not 100% accurate (sorry to the Wessex guys!) But it will give a business to the interior when viewed through the door.

I used lead wire, copper wire and various thicknesses of solder to achieve the effect.

IMG_1172.jpg

The 3 white oblongs at the front are pieces of plastic card I used to strengthen the butt joint of the nose to fuselage join.

The join is virtually seamless which is good as there is a lot of surface detail which would be lost if any filling or sanding was needed.

IMG_1173.jpg

The fuselage halves fit well just as a dry fit.

IMG_1174.jpg

• Like 9

you are off to a good start in this.  I haven't taken a good look at this kit yet - you may want to search out some photo's of the seats as the framework is a rather unusual configuration and it's possible that Fly have not got it 100%.

I like their idea of not using plastic for the seats, but not entirely convinced that paper is the way to go.  It will be interesting to see how that turns out.  I used aluminum tape for the seats in mine in 1/48.  I'll need to see if there's a material better suited to 1/32

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

22 Rescue You!

Remember?  'Support your SAR helicopters..get lost!' and 'Happiness is a BIG chopper!'

Sorry for partial hijack HL-10.

Does the kit give the prominent ducts (heating?) seen under seats (There is also a vertical conduit not clearly seen here)?

5826643894_f00c4930ed_b.jpg

• Like 2