RAN Wessex 31A

abat

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

My old squadron HU-816 decommisioning flight

Thanks for sharing that one Steve. Some great footage and beautiful scenery. What year was that by the way?

I've updated the first post in the thread to include a link to the original thread under the Wessex STGB. Only just worked out how to do this. The link gives a bit of background on the 31A and earlier build and modification work. 

Edited by abat
Does anyone else find iPhones hard to type properly on?
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I thought you'd be along with that one Steve.

Must have been sad to see the old girls go but realistically they had done their bit hadn't they?

Looks like around 25 years of service. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I thought you'd be along with that one Steve.

Must have been sad to see the old girls go but realistically they had done their bit hadn't they?

They weren't being retired for that flight, they soldiered on til 1989 with 723 Squadron.

HU-816 decommisioned in 1987 in Wessex then recommisioned as HS-816 in July 1992 with the Seahawk S-70B Bravo

• Like 1

The Fighting Eight Hundred and Sixteenth South Coast Vertical Assault Squadron on the occasion of our last operational detachment to RAAF East Sale (the polite name)

in the counter terrorism role with the steely eyed killers of the SAS (lovely chaps, hated the Crabs as much as we did) as part of Operation Bursa. Taken at the CO's request in 1986.

After this the Wallies reverted to the SAR role and the taxi service for the chaps in black fell to the brigands of 817 Squadron and those godawful Sea King things.

Muggins here is back row eight in from the right.

L2Zt9nh.jpg

For further reading on Operation Bursa please make your way here

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/snippets-history-operation-bursa/

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been focusing on my Fairey Firefly build the last few weeks but managed to get some Wessex time in the last few days whilst on holiday. I cleaned up the rotor blades and parts and added a few more details including the (lubrication?) hoses and approximations to other bits and pieces from a series of rotor head photos. A slight mis-alignment in the molding meant a fair bit of sanding was required. I umm-ed and arr-ed about folding the blades and even experimented building a rotor hinge from plastic card and rod, but in the end settled on spreading the wings for simplicity and sanity. 

This isn’t glued together yet (to allow easier transport home from the beach) but you get the idea. There’s still some small etch circles to sit atop the rotor head and I’m replacing the crude linkages between the swash plate(?) and the blades. I should spend more time learning about the components. Interesting things, helicopters. 

2017100510204340-IMG_1448-L.jpg

2017100510204340-IMG_1449-L.jpg

• Like 6