RAN Wessex 31A

abat

Hi Everyone, this is a continuation of a build I commenced under last year's Wessex STGB. I didn't get to complete it under the group build but have been tinkering a little over the last few weeks and thought it worthwhile posting my further progress. I decided to start a new thread rather than continue under the now-finished Wessex STGB but if the Mods disagree then I'm happy to have it moved back there. 

So just a re-cap, it left the build during the process of gluing endless pieces of fiddly etch to the fuselage. Well I've now gotten through that stage and have masked and glued the canopy and put on the first of several primer coats. I'm pleased with how well it has all stuck together but conscious that more sanding and primer will be needed to make it neat and tidy. There's a fair bit of putty on the fuselage to fill the nose join and tidy up other areas.

The fuel points and the steps up to the cabin have been relocated. The Italeri locations of both were wrong for this Mark (maybe wrong altogether?) and numerous etch hinges and panels have been added. I used Gator's grip for the etch which I found to be a much nicer experience than super glue. I hope it's strong enough to hold but I'm sure a few coats of paint will help. Stepping around to the front and I scratch built a grill for the intake out of thin plastic rod. I was forced to use a little superglue here as a filler to make the rod gip fully to the fuselage. There's a fair bit of work still required to blend the windscreen neatly into the fuselage.

Progress will be slow as I'm now embarking on another aircraft build but I figure if I do a little bit at a time I'll eventually get there. It'll be painted in the Oxford Blue and white Australian Navy theme. 

IMG_1116-L.jpg

IMG_1117-L.jpg

IMG_1118-L.jpg

Edited by abat
Included link to original group build
  • Like 10

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Since the type is a favorite of mine hope you dont mind if i follow along ?

With pleasure, but you'll need a fair bit of patience, it might take awhile.

32 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Not bad

Thanks Steve, work in progress.

12 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Glad to see you have picked up on the build again, looking good.

Colin

Thanks Colin, apologies for never meeting the group build deadline. I remember all that etch and comlexity puncturing my enthusiasm.

• Like 1

"Beggar it, you are making me need to finish mine too!"

I'm glad to see this resurfacing, but now I've run out of excuses for failing

😠

Can I sit at the back and enjoy this one too please?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, perdu said:

"Beggar it, you are making me need to finish mine too!"

I'm glad to see this resurfacing, but now I've run out of excuses for failing

😠

Can I sit at the back and enjoy this one too please?

No pressure, no pressure. And you're most welcome to watch. 

36 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I'm in

Excellent. 

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Who can resist a Wessex build? Not me, that's for sure!

Martian

Happy to have you aboard Martian. 

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Italeri..... YES  you are correct that they are wrong 

Thanks for the confirmation  Hendie. I remember well your extraordinary build in 1/48. 

:popcorn:

Looks like you have added a fair bit of detail with the external steps and the like Andrew.

A Matchbox kit lurks in my stash and I will build it up to a RAN Wessex. Built one many years ago but it is now in a collectors collection so I need one for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Cracking work so far, can't wait to see the Wessex gain the fiddly bits and colour!

Thanks, the masking line for the blue has me a little worried, but that's a way off yet.

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll second that!

Thanks Pete.

1 minute ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

:popcorn:

Looks like you have added a fair bit of detail with the external steps and the like Andrew.

A Matchbox kit lurks in my stash and I will build it up to a RAN Wessex. Built one many years ago but it is now in a collectors collection so I need one for me.

The bottom step location is way off but the top one is OK. I decided to fill both step holes (the top one isn't quite wide enough), thin down the kit supplied steps and pop them back in their proper positions. The etch steps didn't look right so perhaps fit another mark. I'll use a bit of black decal to represent the step holes - I just couldn't see myself cutting them out in 1/72 scale, especially as the fuselage is now closed. Open I might have given it a go.

I almost bought a Matchbox Wessex at a show last year. It'll build up nicely and at least has the correct decals in the box. Look forward to your future build.

• Like 1

I tidied up a few more bits. The kit tail rotor has the blades the wrong way around. I fixed that by swapping the drive shaft over to the other side - easier and safer than cutting and turning the blades. There's a nice piece of etch on the winch housing. The mould lines on the winch frame and undercarriage were quite prominent and took a bit of scraping off - hopefully I got it all. The Eduard etch has some nice little steps for the undercarriage that will go on next. The wheels go on the kit as-is without the floatation devices which is a nice as you get to see the spoke detail.

Next step is to fettle in the windscreen and pop on a second primer coat to check everything ship shape.

IMG_1134-L.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Only a little progress over the past few weeks as I've been concentrating on my Fairey firefly build, but here's the current state of play. Probably doesn't look much different but I have been puttying and sanding the lower windscreen area in order to improve the fit. its better but maybe not quite right yet. I also touched up some issues hilighted by the first coat of primer and laid down a second coat just before taking these shots. There's still a bit of tidying up to do but hopefully I can now move on to the undercarriage and rotor assembly. I folded the rotors (and tail) on my last Wessex but I'm likely to leave these ones in flying position. Slow progress but I'm determined to get there.

2017091816125094-IMG_1283-L.jpg

2017091816125094-IMG_1284-L.jpg

• Like 4

On 18/09/2017 at 6:00 PM, perdu said:

What James says

Almost unbelievably sharp, I truly wish I could work that tidily

Going to be the best 72th scale Walt, I think

There's some pretty sharp work in your latest Wessex build too. Looking very smart. There's a lot of Wessex around lately, sorta like a perpetual group build. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Don't forget to re direct the rotation of the tail rotor and shorten the main u/c legs.

Colin

Hi Colin, tail rotor has been done but I didn't know about the u/c legs. Can you explain further? Thanks.