Help with BF-110D colors

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello all im in a bit of a conundrum here. Im building Eduards 1/72 Bf-110D weekend edition. I know the Decals are forZG-77 in Norway. But i know the squadron was also in the BoB through august of 1940. The scheme calls for the standard RLM Color callouts of RLM-70/71/over 65.

My Questionis this ? Would it be possible to do mine in the RLM-02/71/65 or a variation of RLM-70/71/65 with additional splinters of 02 also sprayed on ? And also Do i add mottling for August or did that start later ? 

Any offer of ideas will be greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

For Spring 1940 I think Eduard's color suggestion of 70/71 uppers is correct. The book The Messerschmitt Bf 110 in Color Profile 1939-1945 by Vasco and Estanislau, Schiffer 2005 has quite an assortment of side profiles and B&W photos of the profiled a/c. There are Bf 110C from the ZG 76 (note Eduard's marking are for the ZG 76, not 77) summer 1940 are standard 70/71. While there aren't any ZG 76 Ds from August profiled, there are several D models from Erprobungsgruppe 210 with presumably 71/02 uppers and 65 coming well up the sides of the fuselage from August 1940

• Like 1

My mistake i was going off memory when i typed it. I didnt and dont have the instructions in front of me but i trust you are correct in the ZG-76 detail. As i am a week or more from paint yet i shall wait to make a final decision on the upper scheme im good either way. I was just hoping i could go with a less common scheme such as 02/71. But 70/71 is fine if thats what it must be.

Hello, Corsairfoxfouruncle

I agree with Chuck1945, Bf 110 D fighters in Norway remained in their original scheme during battle of Britain period and beyond well into 1941. For further info you may try this link:

http://www.ipmsnorge.org/wp-documents/artikler/fly/bf110_i_Norge.pdf

It is an IPMS Norway PDF booklet about Bf 110 in Norway during 1940-45 period. It is in Norwegian, but photos and colour profiles are more or less speak selves-explaining. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1