Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

Lots of open windows and hatches?

It looks like the main cockpit window opens up quite a lot?

This chap is quite an enthusiast;

http://www.worley.me.uk/aeromodelling/dornier_do-18/dornier_do-18_photos.htm

Best regards

TonyT

PS: make sure you're standing  outside the chimney flue whilst plastering it up :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hendie said:

Lovely soldering work sir.  That seat looks great.

Thanks hendie.:thumbsup2: 

You know I can't believe just how much of a difference getting a 'proper' soldering iron has made. Obvious really in hindsight, but my earliest attempts months ago (with one of those cheapo clunky supermarket jobs) were useless beyond belief due to the unwieldy great iron and lack of thermal control. It's why I'd gone over to using a mini-gas torch for soldering up the engine cantilevers on the Barracuda build, but flamethrowering a bench full of flammable items was always a concern. This Aoyue iron has really gotten me motivated to learn more, now that it allows so much more control at this scale.

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Anyways, some neat metalwork going on there again Tony, glad blazing chimneys haven't killed the mojo (& that the fire wasn't as bad as it could have been)

Thanks Keith. They'll have to prise the soldering iron out of my cold dead hand now...:ike:

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

My mum once sent the chimney alight

It's always an alarming sensation and make you realize the primal power of fire over our lives - as recent tragic events in London have showed.

20 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The sliding seat assembly and door with hinges look just superb. 

You may have mentioned it earlier, but what's the little 'four circles with Phillips screws" clamp you have there?

Thanks TT! :thumbsup2:

That yoke is this thing here:

36303141974_1e15291a9f_c.jpg

It was being sold as a jewellery/watchmaking vice, in that both upper and lower sections allow you to hold curved and circular items securely, as well as straight. It's already turned out to be another must-have tool in terms of securing various irregularly-shaped assemblies for drilling and gluing. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out for themselves:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-Bench-Table-Clamp-Vice-Vise-Craft-Hobby-Work-Watch-Jewelry-Repair-Tool-New-/152444471165?var=&hash=item237e66077d:m:mnE16HHl_uE2crcS1SgFu0w

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh hell, just read about your fire!:o

Well, won't that just learn me to go into other people's threads making jokes about flames...wasn't that ever tempting fate....?:doh::lol:

I managed to rebuild the inspection/cleaning aperture into the chimney last evening and get the new cement heat-cured, so the stove is back on line again this morning.

19 hours ago, seawings said:

Hello Baron, I've just stumbled upon this build and you are doing a cracking job. You mention in the beginning that you purchased a manual (?).

I have in my SEAWINGS archive an extensive set of Do-18 manuals and other reference material that might be of use to you.

If that's the case, let me know and I'll set up a DrpBox folder for you.

Bryan! I love your SeaWings site! How fine to hear from you.:thumbsup2:

I'm enormously grateful for your kind offer sir. Having gotten hold of what appears to be a complete set of technical documentation from Udo over at Archiv Hafner in Germany, I find myself in the unusual position of having fairly comprehensive technical coverage for once; however, if you had any photographs of the interior of the 'D' variant throughout , that would be enormously helpful due to the scarcity of synoptic photos. Whilst the technical material on this aircraft is superb, in focussing on details it does not always make it a simple job to relate these details to each other when it comes to things like relative heights etc...

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

This only goes well, because everyone! respect them for that. So all in all both a very underpaid in relation to other celebrated heroes, who do not work that in any comparision to those. I could mention some or a lot.

Amen to that Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

16 hours ago, pheonix said:

I too was pleased to read that the damage caused by the fire was limited - although still very upsetting I am sure. Pleased too that no-one was hurt - that could have been much worse.

The work you are doing is truly first class: again I suggest that you build a cut-away model just to show the world what remarkable skills you have.

Thanks for the good wishes phoenix. :thumbsup2:

In and around other matters I've been giving the cutaway notion some prolonged consideration. Although I wouldn't put it quite as firmly as Keith:

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I hate cutaway models (other than maybe in an educational or museum context) as it removes any realism from said model...

...I am in sympathy with the 'realism' (I know...what does that term mean exactly....) aspect that he mentions. I think a compromise is possible as I want the aircraft to look 'in-use' rather than a display of its (admittedly handsome) engineering. In this I'm aided by a number of structural apertures that can be opened-up to show some of the interior, but in a manner consistent with a working aircraft. Here'saquick scribble to show what I mean:

36998068381_752230b7a9_c.jpg

The shaded areas  in the fuselage, motor room, and canopy,  can all be featured as viewing opportunities without disturbing the integrity of the airframe. I need to study the manuals more intently to make sure there aren't any similarinspection hatches in the fuselage that can be opened also....

• Like 8

Glad to know the chimney fire was put down quickly and no one got injured. That must have been quite disturbing...

Great scratch building work on the seat and door. The attention to detail in your build is very impressive!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

This is a two-part post as there is definitely a weird glitch using the forum software with my laptop in that if I scoot across the screen too quickly with the trackpad, it triggers the 'submit reply' button. I'll have to watch that hair-triggerish response.

Anyway.

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hope he had a nice end of a working day

:rofl2: I giggled at that almost as much as he was himself!

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Lots of open windows and hatches?

It looks like the main cockpit window opens up quite a lot?

You guessed it TT.:ike:

Thanks for Mr. Worley's link! It was one of the first I stumbled across initially trying to research structural information for the aircraft and made me realize that the web hadn't enough fodder for the level of detail I needed. The cockpit canopy in particular has both roof and side windows which can all be opened out as shown above, which is handy in regard to work currently being done on the cockpit area...

1 hour ago, greggles.w said:

Nice detailing!

Ta greggles! I might do something easier like build a watch next time...:banghead:

17 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Glad to know the chimney fire was put down quickly and no one got injured. That must have been quite disturbing...

Great scratch building work on the seat and door. The attention to detail in your build is very impressive!

Thanks for your kind thoughts Jaime.:thumbsup2: More detailing to follow....

Now.

That's the correspondence up to date, let's look at some pictures.

There is beside the pilot's seat a large prominent wheel, referred to in the manual as Handrad für Verstellung der Höhenflosse (Querruder u. Landeklappen) , which I think is the trim wheel for the aileron and flaps (There seems to be some kind of clutch lever associated with this which in my ignorance I'm assuming allows the pilot to switch this wheel between either of these two control functions in order to separately trim flaps and aileron? I don't know...) 

Either way, it needs to be built, and metal seemed the best material to offer a nice sharp definition to the part at this scale. Starting off with some 15 amp fuse wire, I twisted this around a piece of scrap runner of the required diameter:

36968051472_ecd54815ec_c.jpg

This was then cut at the overlap and soldered to form the rim of the wheel:

36303144034_0bfd074fe8_c.jpg

That done, a cruciform structure of 0.4mm brass tube was soldered into place around a central axle:

36968052192_ac917e9898_c.jpg

To stabilize the central shaft was a simple matter of making a small indentation in the wood with a sewing-machine needle in order to keep the tubing wedged upright during soldering. The excess can then be filed-off:

36325659653_d75c08a3b4_c.jpg

This 'antennae' was then trimmed to the correct diameter and then soldered into place to form the spokes of the trim wheel:

36303138004_41b9be0da3_c.jpg

Vwulla:

36325660863_2a5c6f8776_c.jpg

I think that whole process took about 30 mins tops, after some careful pre-planning.

How it looks in place:

36325662033_b60c1959b0_c.jpg

From the rear quarter:

36325663063_78a19d3780_c.jpg

CA'd into place:

36303139204_2e5ec0cdc8_c.jpg

Something's being baked out in the kitchen - I'm off to investigate.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Tony, can you email me off-board please and we'll check what you have together and see what I can add to it. You can get through through the CONTACT icon on the SEAWINGS website - just go to 'Enter Site Here' and scroll down the page. Doing it this way keeps it from chocking up this forum with our discussion!

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm running out of adjectives... the work on the trimm wheel was beautifully done, at the same level of care and attention to detail as all other work posted here :clap2:

Also very inspirational. I may end up using these ideas sometime in the future.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

nice round thing.  I did the same on the Lysander for the trim wheel - flat PE just doesn't cut it when you can make such 3 dimensional shapes relatively easily.  Of course there is a limit to how small you can go but there's nothing quite like pushing the limits is there?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Although I wouldn't put it quite as firmly as Keith:

Oops,  apologies if by firmly you mean rude Tony (& Phoenix), I was only trying to present a different argument. 'Hating' cutaways is very much a personal thing - as to the realism aspect I can do no better than quote your good self again -"in a manner consistent with a working aircraft." That's my personal aim in my own modelling, but of course it's each to his own!

Keith

• Like 3

On 9/10/2017 at 1:03 PM, jrlx said:

I may end up using these ideas sometime in the future.

That's what this forum's all about Jaime. :thumbsup2:

On 9/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, Spookytooth said:

What`s a cooking?

Apple pie it turned out. We've a massive crop of apples for the first time ever (I planted the trees over a decade ago but being an exposed ridge site, the trees have only recently become sturdy enough to bear a lot of fruit) so lots of apple cuisine looks on the cards.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, hendie said:

flat PE just doesn't cut it when you can make such 3 dimensional shapes relatively easily.

Except for genuinely planar details I think flat PE tends to give a model a Potemkin village appearance. Your Lizzie build was an big factor in me deciding that I needed to start learning to solder.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, hendie said:

there's nothing quite like pushing the limits is there?

Hear hear!

On 9/10/2017 at 1:59 PM, keefr22 said:

Oops,  apologies if by firmly you mean rude Tony

No apologies necessary Keith! Firm convictions are no sin in a world full of equivocation.

On 9/10/2017 at 6:11 PM, pheonix said:

I must try to master this soldering business too - so much better than making things out of plastic rod - and stronger too.

It is immensely satisfying Mr.P. In terms of obtaining a certain crispness of shape I find access to metal indispensable sometimes.

Some movement on the cockpit now to relate tonight. I've been pushing on trying to get the major details blocked out:

37170341285_6801e64bc3_c.jpg

All the detail has been sanded-off the IP as there is a decent face-on image of the dials etc. in the handbook and I'll print that out and add once the painting has been done:

36998834542_db90997826_c.jpg

The IP sits in shadow under the lip of the canopy anyway, so should provide more than sufficient detail if rendered in printed form:

37170340285_0ae0f03a84_c.jpg

One large detail on the bulkhead behind the pilot's seat is a large conduit of pipe.I built this out of 30 amp fuse wire and used 0.8mm brass tubing to create a 'collar' at one end:

36998835582_bf1cce67e1_c.jpg

I scored the collar with a scalpel to simulate the washers and coupling that are visible up at that point. After shaping to between tweezers to obtain the correct profile, I added this to the rear bulkhead with CA:

37170334685_2f83623fd4_c.jpg

Once that had set, the bulkhead was in turn glued on to the cockpit floor in order to begin the process of boxing-in the flight deck:

36998829612_58c58f9f6d_c.jpg

I've no idea what that pipe does, but it would look bare without it:

36998828052_0788f13469_c.jpg

37170335845_aae1f0233a_c.jpg

After this shot was taken I ran the rivetting tool along the floor  - whether it shows up in the final analysis I don't know but we'll see.

Having got the essential cockpit structure together as a 'room' now, it seemed prudent to install it temporarily inside the aircraft to test for fit:

36998833272_928a120abb_c.jpg

Decent enough:

36998831462_f1e336b628_c.jpg

Even with the canopy in eventually, I'm hoping the open windows will allow a decent bit of that detailing to still be seen:

37170338725_239105c32d_c.jpg

Apologies for the lack of sparkle; it's been a taxing day at work:

giphy.gif

• Like 20

Gut'n abend Herr Baron !

Sorry to hear about your chimney fire, and glad that it has been fixed rightly !

I also experienced it 2 years ago, I was on my job, far from home.

SWMBO is still about the fact that I did'nt make it back home fast enough !

Very nice job on your interior, :worthy: I agree with Keith, definitely don't like the cutaway !

What is marvelous with Blackburn Modeller is that anyone can see the work done in following the WiP :yes:

Must try the soldering too... One day ...

Congratulations !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Just had a happy few minutes catching up Tony.

Apart from the chimney fire a great read and some really nice detailed work going on here... that sliding seat, amazing!

It's made me think about soldering too...

• Like 1

Splendidiferous cockpit (tempted for a mo there to say Bridge..).

Great multimedia modelling :clap2:.  I'm thinking that plastic is so déclassé - I shall have to get the yellow pages out (do we still have them?) to see if there are some local metalwork night classes (do we still have them?).

• Like 3