Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

Thanks Tony, too kind. The Do looks great under a coat of paint and is cleary taking shape.

Ps: Alles kann aus Döner sein! Döner Lakritz, Zahnpasta, die nach Döner schmeckt; Döner Obst, Döner Eis und für Senioren Dönerbrei. Coca Cola sind gegen uns nur Memmen! Und, wenn ich das leite , geht Mc Donalds pleite!:winkgrin:

Yes, they are really great. ( But I' ve deleted the typed lyrics as the were too long and only fill up your site too much. I guess you understand, what they sing.)

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Giorgio: as taught to me by the redoubtable Miggers, late of this forum:

• grab brass part in pliers or tweezers and hold it over a gas flame until cherry red, as required.
  • immediately quench the part in cold water.
  • that's it. you're ready to shape. 

This happens very quickly for the kind of small rod I was using Giorgio so be ready to whip it away very very quickly, lest it melt on you...

HTH!

Thanks a lot for that :thumbsup:

Great job with the milliput shaping, BTW :clap:  :clap: 

But ... 10 centimeters of snow and you're out of power supply? Really? :frantic:  :frantic: 

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

But ... 10 centimeters of snow and you're out of power supply? Really? :frantic:  :frantic: 

Yes I wonder at that too, as we had a massive black out here in 2005 and I clearly remember that day. Nothing really unusual till late mid day, but heavy icy winds and very wet snow put it into massive problem then, when they knocked off the electricity pylons like match sticks in the surrounding areas. No more electric power for a week. with all it's consequence. Many animals died then :nah:, but also the birth rate here increased to a very high level! :whistle:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

But I' ve deleted the typed lyrics as the were too long and only fill up your site too much.

Even with my poor lingusitic skills Benedikt I was still able to appreciate the humour!

3 hours ago, giemme said:

10 centimeters of snow and you're out of power supply? Really?

Yep.

Really.

The power company repair crews are great and brave men and women but it doesn't take much with the shaky infrastructure here Giorgio to knock things over. 

One Christmas day we were out of power for 36 hours because a swan flew into a power transformer!

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

but also the birth rate here increased to a very high level!

Climate and sex. Only one has a reliable forecast sometimes!:lol:

Some intense but undramatic work this evening. In preparation for scribing I've been sanding and polishing:

38275837354_6e29ef5c7b_c.jpg

I think that's all the imperfections gone now from the fuselage; any slight dents and dings I've left in as I noticed that some these hulls always seemed have that 'pressed-in' look in a few places that betray the pounding of the seas. This is essentially ready for scribing now, or rather for some scribing. I've seen a few build of this aircraft that either have a lot, or no structural patterning on the fuselage. Neither please me entirely in relation to photographic evidence so I've been combing through images to work out a plausible level of detail for the fuselage at this scale - expect one or two longitudinal panel lines and a few vertical rivet lines, but not much more. You can see also I deepened the 'chin' right up at the very front. That looks more convincing now:

38105032345_27fd2353ab_c.jpg

It also cured the slight asymmetry to the front of the bow that I pointed out previously.

Finally tonight, I soldered-up the seat framing for the forward gun position as well:

38105031325_78b1cd42d1_c.jpg

Having got the rear one of these completed on Saturday was a lot easier to do that the second time around  - about 20 mins from initial bend to fixing in place. The finer tips I got for the soldering iron are a definite necessity for detail this small -  I can't believe I lived without brass rod for so long!:lol:

If you're getting clear skies at night, don't forget the Geminids!:

Geminids_2014_1920x1080_edited-1.jpg

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/meteor-showers-in-2017/

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

One Christmas day we were out of power for 36 hours because a swan flew into a power transformer!

That sounds... weird :frantic: Anyway, I hope you don't have to suffer this any time soon, though it doesn't seem to affect your modelling skills :worthy:

The reshaping looks ace, and so does the micro-welding job :clap:

Finer tips you say, right? :hmmm: Here's something I need to consider

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:
8 hours ago, bbudde said:

But I' ve deleted the typed lyrics as the were too long and only fill up your site too much.

Even with my poor lingusitic skills Benedikt I was still able to appreciate the humour!

No poor linguistitc skills  by  you. I put the link in the right place again, only deleted the written one as it was too long in space. So the link should be fine there.

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

You can see also I deepened the 'chin' right up at the very front. That looks more convincing now:

38105032345_27fd2353ab_c.jpg

It also cured the slight asymmetry to the front of the bow that I pointed out previously.

Finally tonight, I soldered-up the seat framing for the forward gun position as well:

38105031325_78b1cd42d1_c.jpg

I leave that gloriole to another one to quote, but the MG rings are just amazing. Brave work!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Fabulous Benedikt!

Those are completely beguiling.

:clap:

I agree completely Benedikt, they look wonderful! And there's something very satisfying about restoring a battered and play worn 'toy' back to a stunning little model as you've shown here - great work!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is yet more superb work on the gun rings and the bow. Cutting and shaping the recesses for the mounts must have been a bit trying, even for you! Not long to wait now before we see some top colours on.... This is going to be great.

P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I agree completely Benedikt, they look wonderful! And there's something very satisfying about restoring a battered and play worn 'toy' back to a stunning little model as you've shown here - great work!

Keith

Thank you and yes and they have told their mhh, what can I call that: a story, life, leaving and forgetting and getting it back or not? Don't know.

This is the red one:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, giemme said:

The reshaping looks ace, and so does the micro-welding job

Thanks Giorgio!

A little more micro-welding to follow tonight....and then I want to stop doing that for a bit now....it's getting obsessive!:banghead:

21 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent progress and brilliant work on the bow :clap2:

Thanks Jaime. I just hope that Watson's book on Germany arrives before Christmas now. I don't suppose it mentions Herr Dornier by any chance?:D

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

but the MG rings are just amazing. Brave work!!!!!!

Painting them without snapping anything off will have to be done as delicate as handling a reactor fuel rod!:lol:

19 hours ago, pheonix said:

Not long to wait now before we see some top colours on.... This is going to be great.

I seem to keep discovering lots of little jobs along the way Phoenix that always makes the painting stage seem to be  'about a fortnight away'...which seeing as that nearly takes us to the end of the GB is not actually a movable feast any more!:waiting:

19 hours ago, bbudde said:

they have told their mhh, what can I call that: a story, life, leaving and forgetting and getting it back or not

That seems about right to me Benedikt!:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Great nose job Tony - those gun thingies are looking very smart now :)

Thanks Ced - 'gunthingies' they shall be from now on. I like the sound of that!

Well. It started this evening with me deciding to press on and get the fuselage detailing finished. A quick job methought and to begin with it proceeded quite well, getting some parallel lines addedalong the top of the fuselage, all the way along from front gunthingy to the 'hump' that the aerial loop sits on:

25142542008_6f3f080d79_c.jpg

There's some kind of curved cover that crowns the fuselage between rear gunthingy and the hump, which I added from metal foil just to raise it slightly proud:

39012707761_2d2c3c4c1f_c.jpg

Up for'ard, the paralell lines are crossed by another set just behind the cockpit:

39012706561_1860e22319_c.jpg

I know not the function of these, in terms of why they are raised so from the otherwise aerodynamically smooth skin of the aircraft. Due to their small size I made these out of the smallest hair-like Slater's microrod that I had, and once the glue had cured, sandned them down to a squarer profile:

25142542738_f7595d1943_c.jpg

Prior to doing this, I'd also added some panel lines and rivetting. Not a whole shed load, only those elements that seemed to stand outr repeatedly in photos, namely a longitudinal panel line that runs down the side of the fuselage on each side from bow to tail: 

25142547408_ee9da95f27_c.jpg

plus a few rivet lines where the viuewer's eye will be drawn to specific features on the fuselage like the cockpit:

25142546108_a40bdf343b_c.jpg

and portholes:

39012713071_d9bb6dedc7_c.jpg

That is as far as I want to go in terms of creating a semi-realistic representation, as opposed to turning the aircraft into a diagram...

One set of features that has almost been fetishistically tormenting me (largely due to their visual prominence yet miniscule size) on this aircraft are the sets of cleats on both sponson and bow. There is not rational explanation behind this torment, save that they looked extremely hard to build and...well...you guessed it: I had to have a crack at scratchbuilding cleats in 1/72 didn't I?

If anything you can blame @Tomoshenko for these urges - if you haven'tseen the jewellery that he's been adding to his droolsome Fury I urge you to do so with all haste:

Right.

I've no idea how to build cleats so let's start confidently by cutting up some 0.44 mm rod and tube:

39012708691_bf8a0c195e_c.jpg

The closeups might look a bit bigger tonight as I've devised a poor man's macro by sticking one of the spare magnifiers in from the visor I got at Telford in front of the camera lens.

Not optically 'pure' but it does give a handy blowup. 

The lower set of rod with the flattened ends are intended to form the base onto which the other rod parts are soldered at 90° in order to form a T-shape: the respective parts are each about 2mm long, taped down here in readiness for soldering:

25142543548_81e030238f_c.jpg

As always, not a pretty sight when fresh out from under the hot rod:

39012710231_44204be181_c.jpg

But a process of gentle filing starts to bring out some essential cleatiness:

25142544578_12f27f134b_c.jpg

Why am I reminded of the pickaxes of the seven dwarves from Snow White?

'Hi-Ho. Hi-ho,

It's off to the Dornier Flugzeugwerk we go...'

The bow set CA'd into place:

39012711761_d1ab6c6f73_c.jpg

Looking dapper enough:

39012711181_27e34c0703_c.jpg

Same again on the stummel:

25142545568_29f9ddf26e_c.jpg

All four in place:

39012712451_8251f71470_c.jpg

G'night all.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

Bloody hell Tony, it’s like a detailbananza , (let’s leave that as one word eh) I likes it. Great nose shaping, great gunthingies. The best goddamn cleats this side of Christmas. I wish I knew what a cleat was but I know you have done an ace job of making a smallerer representation of one. I do like that halo light in the nose shot. I thought for a minute it was some crazy photoshop madness, then remembered the lamp. Awesome work bud, keep it up.

Johnny work tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Great detailing work on the fuselage and the cleats turned out very well!

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I just hope that Watson's book on Germany arrives before Christmas now. I don't suppose it mentions Herr Dornier by any chance?:D

I've just read 411 pages of it (there are about 850 pages of text plus several more of references and index) and I'm still near the end of the 19th Century. However, the index doesn't mention Herr Dornier... but several industrialists and engineers are mentioned: Benz, Diesel, Daimler, Krup...

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

On 12.12.2017 at 9:14 PM, TheBaron said:

I know not the function of these, in terms of why they are raised so from the otherwise aerodynamically smooth skin of the aircraft.

Maybe they were something of  a "Windleitblech" or a smoke deflector? Don't know, but could make sense for the square ones behind the cabin underneath the props.  I do believe that Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1