Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

:gobsmacked: OK Tony, I'm very much regretting I haven't been following this build of yours since the beginning :chair: I only went back a couple of pages and geez! You are a gold mine in terms of proper modelling tips and tricks! :frantic:

I'll keep following, quietly sitting in the back row....

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Regrettably we had some very poor language teachers at my school and though I was enthusiastic about learning German at the start, this was soon blunted by the system. A pity. My youngest son however has chosen it as one of his languages at school so I take a vicarious pleasure in him teaching me!:D

Hello Tony, looks great so far. I also can write my  posts 1:1 German/English , if you don't mind. So your son can learn from it. My german should be school German enough for him  :whistle: .Cheers

• Like 3

Marvellous stuff Tony. The props and spinners are kits in themselves, but well worth it as your up-detailing adds so much more depth and realism. Oh and steady on with the nervous breakdown, as a preventative measure Dr Tomoshenko prescribes a brief sabbatical in the West coast of Ireland and plenty of ale...

• Like 1

One?

👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅👅💖

Those damned things are always breaking, as soon as they start cutting they begin stress building

Because they simply spiral the waste it can only build up inside the helix, the hole can only clear its waste material as it reaches the conical rear part so they tend to snap simply as stress relief

If they had a central flute/ spine they would be fabulous things

Sadly they ain't

They break.

:(

• Like 3

17 hours ago, giemme said:

I'll keep following, quietly sitting in the back row....

Delighted to have you here Giorgio!:D

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Tony, looks great so far. I also can write my  posts 1:1 German/English , if you don't mind. So your son can learn from it. My german should be school German enough for him  :whistle: .Cheers

That's very kind of you Benedikt! :thumbsup2:

I'll have a word with him about that as at the present time getting him to attend to homework is quite frankly skirmishing activity and I wouldn't want you to take such trouble if I wasn't confident he'd actually engage with it...

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Wow, what have I started?

Well, I just hope you're happy with yourself - that's all I can say.:lol:

In truth I was running out of excuses not to turn the props into something more accurate and you simply made it an imperative Ian.:thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Marvellous stuff Tony. The props and spinners are kits in themselves, but well worth it as your up-detailing adds so much more depth and realism. Oh and steady on with the nervous breakdown, as a preventative measure Dr Tomoshenko prescribes a brief sabbatical in the West coast of Ireland and plenty of ale...

Cheers for that Tomo! If only my actual sawbones were as generous in their prescriptions.

Truly you are the George Clooney of the Britmodeller ER room...

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work on that prop Tony (and being a pusher it actually is a propeller!) - really excellent improvement to both spinner & blades!

Look forward to seeing the same on the front airscrew....!! :lol:

Wait no more Keithski - it's been a busy morning in the People's Airscrew Production Facility No.7.:winkgrin:

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent improvement to the propeller, Tony! Much accurate, now! I'm very impressed with this detailed work :worthy:

Thanks Jaime!

I hope you're getting a chance to relax after the language exam - do you have to wait long to hear your results?

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Great job on the spinner and blades Tony - they look so much better than the kit ones.

Has one of your drills broken?

Umm.Err...yes.Well, more than one.

Pure clumsiness on my part Ced as these are some of the nicest drills bits to work with - you don't have the link to these in your purchase history you could send me do you? I went online earlier to re-order a new set and weirdly my account history no longer goes back beyond the last 2 months.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Sadly they ain't

They break.

38423760826_04b47bdb34_c.jpg

My set currently resemble a badly-mauled Katyusha...:closedeyes:

Right. Day off today due to working through lunchbreaks all week to get the caseload sorted so ante-meridian involved (re)constructing the front prop. One advantage of having done the job once already is knowing how to turn it into a bit ofaswifter production-line process. Shades of routing-out ships blocks in the sheds at Portsmouth....

Cut together for equal sizing:

37764636304_54410a899f_c.jpg

You've seen all this once already so just the main points. Blades shaped and thinned, with piano-wire shanks added:

26703670599_a999c0155e_c.jpg

Front spinner shape corrected and polished en lathe:

37764636784_7b419f85ce_c.jpg

After drilling the holes into the hub for the barrels to fit into, one of these diamond-dust birrs fitted into the Archimedes made for an excellent level of control in boring out the required diameter:

26703671359_509b76f586_c.jpg

Dry-fit of barrels to blades and thence into spinner:

26703671909_fbf1c443f7_c.jpg

You're not seeing things, I have drilled a fine (access?) hole there in the nose of the spinner in order to match the one present on the actual aircraft.

Barrels glued to blades with CA and left to set over lunch:

38423763276_44e9ddf693_c.jpg

Right.

I'm starving and off for some nosebag.

I hope to get back to that little lot later this afternoon and start getting them into complete assemblies and polished up for primer.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Barrels glued to blades with CA and left to set over lunch:

38423763276_44e9ddf693_c.jpg

Your lunch is under there? 

Sorry....:coat:

Ian

Very nice props by the way!

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

... you don't have the link to these in your purchase history you could send me do you?

Certainly - here you go.

Nice props Tony, very neat work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Agreed!

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Same here, very nice :clap:

Ciao

Bill, Keith, Giorgio: thanks chaps. :thumbsup2:

A little more for you below....

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Your lunch is under there? 

Yeah. I went for the cheese board.

(:coat:x2)

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Certainly - here you go.

Much obliged for that Ced.:thumbsup2: A fresh set ordered just now.

A busy afternoon too but I'm pleased with progress, despite a thumping head from squinting through the magnifiers.

One of the bittersweet aspects of the switch to digital image-making over the last couple of decades has been the gradual divestment of old analogue pieces of equipment - I refuse to let such pieces of gear go into the skip if they can be re-purposed. Earlier in the weekthey were clearing out the old darkrooms at work and as well as well some beautifully-engineered stainless steel film holders 4x5" film holders (no idea what I'll do with them yet but good engineering's too precious to discard) and trays I managed to salvage the 14x17" base of an enlarger. With sliding rulers and a secure paper-holding mechanism it was too handy to pass up on and came into it's own earlier in building an ad hoc propellor fixing jig:

37597758325_3b23789110_c.jpg

There's no doubt an elegant way to do this but I just went with what was to hand, the main issues being to get a consistent angular separation for the blades, keep them level, and uniformly-angled in the correct orientation:

38484749661_b490524284_c.jpgCircles were added as fiducials to make sure that the patent lo-tech angling-system (one of the original kit blades) was always in the same place for gluing each blade in turn:

38484750091_283c1f09cc_c.jpg

Front prop completed:

38484750671_23f163952e_c.jpg

I used a blob of CA on each barrel in order to tack each blade into place in turn, the intention being to complete the job by adding some epoxy to the underside later.

The same procedure for the rear prop, remembering to re-orientate the angling device in the opposite direction to previously:

24613027718_a9cbaa2d0a_c.jpg

About 25 mins of breath-holding and silent cussing and:

38484751271_475ecb5208_c.jpg

TBH that was quite straightforward in the end but I had woken up at about 3am this morning and mentally rehearsed what to do in advance as I couldn't sleep.

Rear propellor, leading edges angled towards engine for pushing:

38484752041_600b00d7b2_c.jpg

Front edges angles aways from engine to pull:

24613028498_1d85664e8c_c.jpg

These voids in the underside will get a generous dose of 24hr epoxy:

38484752881_9cced8b65c_c.jpg

I know my audience - a quick dry fit to finish?

24613028758_f52611173b_c.jpg

38484753511_ae2655bb8b_c.jpg

38484753751_659fd18794_c.jpg

24613029158_b8a5778bdb_c.jpg

Closer to the actual aircraft now in the way that those spinners shapes curve from blunt at the front to acute at the rear:

24613029438_f1b832b072_c.jpg

A couple of 6mm holes drilled in the cheese-board to hold the spinners whilst the epoxy cures overnight:

38484754761_5ac7968a53_c.jpg

And I'm fit for nowt else now this evening. Base plates to go on those prop bases in the morning and then some primer to see what needs smoothing out.

Have yourselves a fine evening gentlepersons.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

Tony,

I like you determination on proper shape of prop! I have found nice photo taken from from rear which shows some details of "side walk" on the top of fuselage and flaps. This is for civil but those elements are nor different. This is from Russian page  http://www.airwar.ru/enc/sww2/do18.html

do18-13.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Lovely pair of propellors there - very elegant method of manufacture too. I always use the simplest possible jigs - they are effective, less likely to go wrong but easy to correct if they do. Modelling does not have to be difficult if we do not want it to be and the results can still be very good - as you have just demonstrated.

P

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Cue @CedB the toolman.........

Took the words right out of my mouth (do NOT continue with the song lyrics!)

Ahem.

Great work on the props Tony and I share your love of old engineering tools. Sadly I don't often get the chance to 'rescue' them so I have to resort to new tools like the (ta dah) PropMasterTM from UMM, recomended to me by TT. I see they've reduced the price (rats!) and if you want to optimise the postage you could add one of their lovely scribers too. I've used it a lot - first on the Beaufort and then on the Hornet. I've got the '02' little scriber and it's uncanny how it seems to know where you want the line to go. Both recommended.

/End Tool tart

• Like 2

On 11/15/2017 at 10:00 AM, perdu said:

" which makes it also more difficult to create good lyrics in a song. "

I dunno Benedikt, the Mop-Tops from Liverpool seem to have got away with/mit ;)

I was always a bit partial to DAF myself.  This was always a great ice breaker in the clubs many many moons ago

Geh' in die Knie
Und klatsch' in die Hände
Beweg' deine Hüften
Und tanz' den Mussolini
Tanz' den Mussolini
Tanz' den Mussolini

I don't suppose there's a great many words rhyme with Mussolini so I think they made the best of it.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, TheBaron said:

But you know as soon as I'd done that, I realized just how dissatisfied I was with the kit props and that they'd be staring at me accusingly for evermore

I was just biding my time... I knew it was coming.

• Haha 2

Great work again on the front propeller. The solution devised for adjusting the pitch of the blades was quite ingenious and the end results look superb :clap2:

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I hope you're getting a chance to relax after the language exam - do you have to wait long to hear your results?

Thanks for your interest, Tony. I relaxed a bit after the exam. Now I have to get up to speed with the Hausaufgaben für nächste Montag :frantic:Possibly this coming Wednesday I'll know the result of the exam.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hendie said:

I was always a bit partial to DAF myself

Hello, the NDW and Krautrock in the 70/80 was a funny time. I preferred more Kraftwerk, Rheingold, Nena, Ideal etc. But there were also some really stupid bands / songs around. The more fancy, the more popular was the name otf the game then. Cheers

• Like 3

Just adding my appreciation for the prop work to that of the mob other fine gentleman BM’ers Tony :thumbsup:

One thought.  Seems to me that that could have been  a classic job for resin casting.  Make one blade and cast several identical copies.  Resin work would be a walk in the park for a man of your calibre Tony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1