Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

I am just catching up after having been away. I am completely intrigued and somewhat blown away by this technique. Brilliantly explained and demonstrated, the effect looks fantastic. Not being an artist I would never have thought of this and it is so much more effective than pre-shading IMO. You are really gilding the lily here - a masterpiece of scratch building with a truly novel method for achieving a worn effect. The leather for the seats is a method that I must try out - I could probably just about achieve that on the third or fourth attempt....

Thank you so much for the very detailed demonstration.

P

• Thanks 1

Blimey

And yes, W O W !

Lovely work inside that boat Tony, you're making it fly

Well you know wot I mean

😀.

Really fine stuff, giving me some vital clues too

Noice

• Thanks 1

Remarkable and inspiring stuff Tony.  Difficult to know where to start when it comes to registering appreciation!

Excellent scribing and I love the rivet lines.  What technique did you use for the riveting?

Fascinating (and either brave or barking mad or both) paint technique.  But the outcome speaks for itself; this is my favourite section and I think the result is superb; there’s a quality to the tonal variations on the fuselage floor that seems unique and different to that achieved with post shading and oil filtering and it looks fantastic.  Bravo maestro.

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

37812518231_10de31ef88_c.jpg

IMHO you should do it on the fuselage sides as well.  I’m tempted to say that the technique is actually seen at its best on areas devoid of detailed structure.  But then the beauty of all such finishes is that it’s personal preference :)

On 19/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, TheBaron said:

I'll make ye both a promise: I'll have a bash at grisailling an aircraft some time within the next twelve months. I want to get the Boxcar completed after this build but have a number of single-engine candidates that might make suitable subjects. How's that sound?

Sounds like a lot of fun.   Hmm - Mini informal grisailling group build hosted by his Baronship........inspired by those favourite WW2 B&W piccies of Sptfires etc.....No arguments over what colour the fuselage band was :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, hendie said:

Lovely results.  It's strange how it all looks a bit mundane in the earlier photo's- until you add the "real" colors - leather and such.  The relative (in comparison) vividness of those colors really enhance the overall contrasts in the rest of the airframe. 

Ta for the compliments hendie. :nodding: I may have quelled my painting anxieties by letting the paint paint the aircraft for me. :lol:

That was my feeling initially about the colour effects also also - until the warmer tones of the leather were added it was quite 'Arctic' inside there, then it was surprising how much anything with colour seemed to spring out as it were. You're right btw - I did forget to give the back of the radioman's chair the 'warm leatherette' treatment - thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Get's better and better. Like it very much so far.  Cheers Benedikt (, back in the autuum mood after equivalent weather today here at 16°C and windy)

Thanks Benedikt. :D

Likewise here Autumn seems to have swung in all of a sudden - there was the first frost of the year on the car windscreen on Thursday morning, a reminder that we still need to get firewood delivered for the stove....

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I like that! Great effect at the end of it all Tony! Those seat cushions are good too, I use clear orange glaze on wood effects but have never thought of it on 'leather'....

Glad it made sense in the end Keith: I got so caught up in the process that I had to make myself stop and take notes from time-to-time simply to be able to remember what I was doing myself. The orange glaze procedure was simply me thieving adapting Ian's (limeypilot) beautiful wood-finishing techniques and adapting it to leather.

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I like that effect a lot. It is subtle, but very effective. Top marks for coming up with that one!

Glad you liked it Ian. It was a bit of a gamble but I'm always of the opinion that you need to let your instincts run with an idea - even when you're head is murmuring 'Are you sure about this...?' :lol:

17 hours ago, pheonix said:

I am just catching up after having been away. I am completely intrigued and somewhat blown away by this technique. Brilliantly explained and demonstrated, the effect looks fantastic. Not being an artist I would never have thought of this and it is so much more effective than pre-shading IMO. You are really gilding the lily here - a masterpiece of scratch building with a truly novel method for achieving a worn effect. The leather for the seats is a method that I must try out - I could probably just about achieve that on the third or fourth attempt....

Thank you so much for the very detailed demonstration.

Thanks Mr.P. :thumbsup2:

As I mentioned a few posts back, I've always found my own efforts at pre-shading too formulaic and stylized so I was really hoping that this would help get me through a personal impasse regarding painting. Thankfully it seemed to work.

That leather technique is not at all complicated and as I say above, simply an adaptation from Ian's gorgeous wood effects!

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Beautiful, gorgeous, realistic interior Tony. Astounding job! Love it...

Merci M.Ced. I may don a wetsuit when doing it next time however due to the floods of water spreading around the bench...:snorkle:

13 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Love that interior!

Thank-you sir!:D

11 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent results and very interesting weathering technique! :clap2:

Thanks Jaime. :thumbsup2:Clearing up afterwards takes a bit of a while however - the bench looked like a bad day at Sellafield....

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Blimey

I know if I've got you to say 'Blimey' then I've done something right Bill.:winkgrin:

Thanks.:thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Excellent scribing and I love the rivet lines.  What technique did you use for riveting?

Thanks for the kind words Steve.:nodding:

Here's what I use for rivetting:

37119494974_326f7949ea_c.jpg

A small flexible steel ruler and the SBS Z63 rivetter. For my needs it gives a beautifully sharp and precise response to the fingertips - IIRC I got mine from BNA Modelworld but unfortunately they seem to be sold out at present:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-tools-supplies-scribers-templates-sbs-model-sbs-rvt72

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Fascinating (and either brave or barking mad or both) paint technique.

I'm quite content with 'barking' thank-you.:lol:

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I think you should do it on the fuselage sides as well.  I’m tempted to say that the technique is seen at its  best on areas devoid of detailed structure.

Agreed. Looking at the difference between the walls and the main detailing, the former looks too pristine by comparison so I'll revisit those areas in due course.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Sounds like a lot of fun.   Mini informal grisailling group build supervised by his Baronship......

What would be the collective noun for such a group?:hmmm: 'A bunch of grizzlies'?:bear:

Here's the scene of yesterday's Crimes Against Logic all tidied up again:

37829936371_a777328924_c.jpg

Having had such a marathon bash on the colourfuls yesterday I elected to avoid plunging into another big painting session so soon, and concentrated tidying-up details from the mental snag-sheet.

There were  still a few minor bit needing doing to the outside of the motor gondola, starting with the addition of exhaust nozzles for the rear engine:

37119625754_efd1f06711_c.jpg

I've also scribed back-in some further surface detailing like the vertical ventilation 'gills' on that inverted triangular access panel in the centre of that photo above. Up the front I used a hot needle to incise some fasteners around various removable panels:

37571643440_01d3e84fa4_c.jpg

priot to closing-up the gondola there were two further jobs to take care of. No.1, the compressed air flasks were painted ready for installation:

37119628004_80df0b388b_c.jpg

I've no idea the correct colour for those bottles (they're just shown as dark and shiny in the photogravures in the manuals) so I went with a dark grey-black mixture using Tamiya XF22 & 85. Once installed they look pretty good, though I'll need to be careful stuffing foam into that doorway during painting of the externals later on:

37829936541_46bba9a4d5_c.jpg

The kuhler for the front and rear engines likewise got some makeup on - in this case I brushed on some Alclad 'Exhaust Manifold' followed immediately by a generous thick wash of black oil paint and white spirits:

37119629564_8629edf6da_c.jpg

The initial 'yuckiness'of the mixture didn't phase me too much after yesterday's experiments as I know ionce dried that would look different. Not necessarily better of course, but certainly different!

In the event it turned out to be a pretty decent expression of 'radiatoriness' once the oils had dried out:

37119631794_2ffc1fb084_c.jpg

Then it was just a case of out with the clothes pegs and TET to glue progressively around all the seams:

37829936711_6cbeba3eba_c.jpg

The 'bits' box still has some further bits of finery needing attention (including the shooters which turned up during bench-cleansing last evening) but I'll keep a lot of that for another dedicated session. To finish off this morning's adventures then I wanted to do something completely different so started working-up some decal designs. 

Remember some time back our Martian tried to tempt me to build a toilet with a lavish posting of Wermacht toilet roll? Well I took the original (which being an oblique shot had some problematic perspective to deal with if it was to become a decal) into Photoshop and took out as much distortion as I could. Original on the left, rectified on the right:

37797136772_17e1e1573b_c.jpg

Not perfect, but the best you can pull out from an image like that. I then mapped the rectified version back onto itself in order to produce a double width design suitable to print out and cover a cylinder all the way around.

As an essential service for the relief of modellers everywhere, the full-resolution rectified version (suitable for all scales) is free to download here should you need to print your own:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4466/37120351534_6b13f2f7ec_b.jpg

I wanted to do up the IP as a decal also, so I extracted the dials from a cockpit reproduction in the manuals and mapped this on to a new background in Photoshop as well:

37780463196_feb01934da_m.jpg

Work in progress:

37780458236_3a45b7b0ed_c.jpg

You can see up on the screen that I've also been working out some material for the aircraft codes.

Having done a bit of research around the web I managed to lay hands on a Luftwaffe font 'Blockschrift für Flugzeuge' produced by Ronnie Olsthoorn:

https://www.dafont.com/blockschrift-fur-fl.font

that seems to do the trick.

Time for a paper test. The (top line) 25pt.size seems closest to the scale:

37780458776_2833ec863b_c.jpg

The lower line of test is a basic Pill Gothic font just as a comparison.

Let's stick that on to the kit temporarily for a better look:

37570986770_3d94e83fd3_c.jpg

Needs to be slightly bigger than 25pt. I fancy, but not by that much.

Now to the IP:

37570985670_78e432680d_c.jpg

Scaled down the 50% of the original size of the graphic looks close. Let's stick that on too:

37780461896_ca684a798b_c.jpg

A little bit of adjustment to the outer curves and a slight decrease in height but otherwise pretty much spot-on. 

Oh alright. The toilet roll too:

37570988750_d0b36e338e_c.jpg

1mm Slater's rod looks a little on the big side compared to the klosett - even allowing for capacious buttockage on maritime flight crews - so I reckon a 0.5mm rod and take the size of that decal down by about 50% to match.

That's enough today. Don't want you getting over-stimulated and not finishing your tea later.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, perdu said:

Get die kuchenrollenpapier down to standard

Haha, that sounds funny great:lol:. This would be more or less this:

100-backtrennpapier.jpg

I guess, you think of Küchenrollenpapier, which should be this:

kuechenrolle102_v-contentxl.jpg

But I guess also Tony talks about Toiletten /Klopapier:

product_l.JPEG

Here also as a cake:shrug:

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

even allowing for capacious buttockage on maritime flight crews - so I reckon a 0.5mm rod and take the size of that decal down by about 50% to match.

Given the wartime materials shortage, I doubt there would have been a nice chromed toilet roll holder.  I suspect the roll would be hanging on a string, with a few sheets dangling.

Remember... we want to see the perforations!

• Haha 5

The two cylinders popping their heads out of the door remind me of the British aircrew in ‘Allo! ‘Allo!  

Missed the weather discussion the other day but I asked a question in work as a joke but looking back on it has taken on a Dr. Strangelove-esque feel to it.  I asked if the nuclear winter would cancel out global warming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good progress on the gondola and ingenious use of modern digital tools to create the decals!

Thanks Jaime.:thumbsup2:

I'd forgotten about the unit badge that goes on each side  of the gondola as well, so I need to dig that out of the files and add it to the prospective decal sheet.

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Yup!

Get die kuchenrollenpapier down to standard b.g roll size and that is perfect

And the i.p. has worked beautifully Tony, it's very gradely lad

Danke Bill.:thumbsup2:

Making a name in toilets for myself on the modelling scene; not quite how I'd anticipated this all panning out.:rofl2:

The instruments are in the right locations on the IP but it just needs a couple of tweaks shape-wise to get the outline from the manual illustration to match the inner curve of the kit fuselage at that point of the airframe.

16 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Nice work on the rescribing, definitely one of my least favourite modelling tasks. Good progress on all fronts.

Ta for that Nigel. Taking my time and not rushing-through a perilous task certainly worked wonders on this occasion. I've certainly come away from that stage having gained a better feel for the individual performances of the scribing tools on various planes and countours...

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

But I guess also Tony talks about Toiletten /Klopapier:

I don't know if you ever suffered from these in Germany Benedikt, but in England back in the 1980's, all of my relatives' houses were infested by ghastly toilet-roll holders such as this:

38b1ec3fabc84350b5e70e8ffe35fbe3--paper-

These abominations were regularly inflicted as 'prizes' upon a suffering populace at summer fetes and jumble sales. The fact that such dolls all had those winsome 'Edwardian maiden' faces whilst something deeply disturbing was clearly happening beneath their skirts lent them an air of psychological menace.

13 hours ago, hendie said:

Given the wartime materials shortage, I doubt there would have been a nice chromed toilet roll holder.  I suspect the roll would be hanging on a string, with a few sheets dangling.

Remember... we want to see the perforations!

Ersatz toilet roll - made from powdered acorns for that extra frisson!

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Gobsmacked. :D

:D to hear it!

30 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

The two cylinders popping their heads out of the door remind me of the British aircrew in ‘Allo! ‘Allo!  

That's weird Ian. Only last night it struck me that they might be the Thompson Twins from TinTin! :lol:

dupondt.jpg

33 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Missed the weather discussion the other day but I asked a question in work as a joke but looking back on it has taken on a Dr. Strangelove-esque feel to it.  I asked if the nuclear winter would cancel out global warming.

Ah. I see you're anticipating Trump's New Years' Resolution for 2018....:blink2:

A far more modest presentation for you today.

I've been having a tawdry time of it with the MG 15s from CMK:

37851473571_2a4047f5c8_c.jpg

Whilst beautifully-detailed, the polyurethane that they're made from is uber-brittle - I mean extremely brittle - brush even lightly against them and the barrels are off! Given that 3/4 of the barrels in the packet are bent and need straightening, this has made for a frustrating morning trying to get a corrected pair for use here.

Having tried boiling water I finally resorted to a really hot hair dryer close to the barrel for a few seconds and then quickly squeezing into shape using thumb and forefinger. I now have two acceptably-straight guns whilst three of the others are now Star Wars blasters as you can see above...

As a break from this I turned to the fuselage fuel tanks. As with the compressed air flasks, the manuals only show these as dark (but not black) and shiny.As a result I'm again going for a very dark grey appearance: this time however rather than a single coat of acrylic to get that (the flasks were ok but I felt the finish could be better) I decided to use a series of oil washes and varnishes over the bare primer to incrementally get to a point where I was happy with the resulting visual textures. 

A wash of Payne's Grey to start then:

37851471661_9f17b8df76_c.jpg

A layer of matte varnish from a spraycan and then a wash of Terre Verte:

37851472131_aa77b7151e_c.jpg

In betweenst these drying I was working on the MG 15s and magazines in a slightly different fashion:

37802912536_f2b6561ced_c.jpg

Black oil wash first, matt varnish, Payne's wash, matt varnish and finally dry-brushing with Alclad 'Steel'. I think you're not s'posed to brush Alclad but from experiments I'm actually finding that this gives a more 'metally' feel at this scale due to the translucent qualities of the laquer compared to more opaque pigments like acrylic.

Same treatment for the MGs:

37802913346_3510ca3605_c.jpg

As a further experiment I did the two guns you see there in opposite ways.

The one on the left is:

black oil/alclad steel/payne's 

the one on the right:

alcladsteel/black oil/payne's.

I think I prefer the one on the left?

Another (heavy) wash of Payne's around the fuel tanks  (who was Payne btw?....) and those are all drying off overnight now:

37851472971_8b3978b0ed_c.jpg

I'm anticipating the next 3 weeks to be quite a busy time at work so there may not be too much in the way of long sessions at the bench - I'll just grab time as and when I can find it.

It'll be Telford before you know it!

BTW: any of you more experienced Telford hands - what's the best options for parking there on the Saturday morn? Any advice gratefully received...

Hope you all have a great Sunday in whatever pleases you most.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

whatever pleases you most

I wouldn't take it over the top, so I won't say "going to toilet this morning" Haven't said that:whistle:. And yes I suffered from several of these things in the eighties

klorolle-350068760997547082.JPG

...and yes of course, you are now becoming an expert of everything dealing with toilets and applications for that in the modeller scene at  first rate. :lol:

• Haha 7

52 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

what's the best options for parking there on the Saturday morn?

Really depends what time you get there Tony - if you get there earlyish you can park in the centre car park which was £3 for the day last year (or it may have gone up to £4, memory playing up again) But unless you're an IPMS member you can't get in till ten, so might be sitting in the car for a while. Last year there was a catering van on the concourse outside, so you could grab a coffee if you wanted. Otherwise, there are I believe a couple of multi storey car parks within easy walking distance, with, I think.the one called 'Cherry' being closest. We always park in the centre car park though, so not 100% sure on the town centre car parks. Sunday is henerally much quieter than Sat so the centre car park may well be easier to get into. I also think the multi storey's might be free on Sunday?

I like all these paint experiments you're up to, very interesting!

Keith

Edit - it's the 'cherry pink' car park that I think might be nearest;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=telford car parking&oq=telford+car+parking&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9291j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=52676683,-2445824,241&tbm=lcl&rldimm=14157810938950081758&ved=0ahUKEwjbt6CEp4TXAhWF1BoKHe_rC3AQvS4IQzAB&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:3#rlfi=hd:;si:14157810938950081758;mv:!1m3!1d6199.145950665219!2d-2.444007000000056!3d52.67480699999998!3m2!1i401!2i492!4f13.1

• Thanks 1

I really like the effect on those tanks Tony - very nice :)

Re Telford parking, last time I went there was a queue from the IC back to the roundabout... I'd given another BMer a lift an he recommended coming off the A442 at the Hollingsgate exit, going down Grange Central and parking in Cherry Pink or Red Oak if that's full).

When we got to the centre the reason for the queue was obvious; everyone being turned away from the full IC car park was stopping to ask the security guy where else they could park.

• Thanks 1

Great work Tony, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that Bog roll!

Mind you, I have bone to pick with you. What are you doing with the Martian's lap top?

37570985670_78e432680d_c.jpg

• Haha 5

I just caught up Tony :).

I’m glad that the storm passed in a fairly benevolent manner.

There’s something rather nice about being safely locked in at home/school/with friends in a pub , during a storm. 

On the modelling front: Really great stuff. 

Fascinating to watch the  paint technique on the interior; plus very good step by step description and photography :thumbsup2: . It looks like a lot of fun to try as a technique and does give a nice understated effect.

I keep agreeing with Hendie; I must stress that I’m not affiliated, nor were we there at the same time ( :rofl:), but the leather finish on the seats really made your interior effect stand out.

Lovely work on rescribing and riveting the nacelle. I must search for one of those riveting tools; a very nice result.

I’m still rocking back and forth over the lack of a scale engine in 1/72 :mental: . 

Regarding the radiator; it looks great. Nevertheless, I would like to plug a really great, far from you, modelling emporium; ‘Jay’s Models’ in good old NZ.

A great resource and customer service second to none. Moreover, for radiators; a rather superb range of ludicrously fine mesh:

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=ma6u64deu503djv0a48tiv6dp0&keyword=Mesh

I’m currently faffing with some on a Hawker Tempest. Looks far better than engraved plastic. It *is* a faff, but our AFV friends inspired me and it’s worth it ;).

One of your photographs of the interior of the nacelle really shows the beauty of the German design, the flowing almost gothic lines of the nacelle profile,  here on the Dornier.

As an aside, not floaty, but definitely Dornier, today I read that in 2018 Mars Models could be releasing a 1/72 Dornier Do-23 :o.

I just thought I would mention it for any other Dornier fans following your thread, Here’s the first released artwork:

Do 23

I May be alone in this, but: Must have one.

Still no work on mine, as I’m currently even sicker than the parrot I’m normally as sick as, but really enjoying following this build.

Nice Germanic font stuff going on.. 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I May be alone in this, but: Must have one.

No, it looks like the opposite of the Heyford and if I had space to do these, I would obviously do both and several other again as Ced do on his ceiling, but on rent here it woudn't work that well.

• Like 2