Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There is another theory that many psychologists should just get a hobby...

What, like sticking bits of plastic together...?

And those bits you are sticking together will end up as a rather splendid aeroplane!

Keith

On 9/23/2017 at 12:37 PM, TheBaron said:

I must apologize for any impression I may have given Mr.P that I am anything but an occasional rock-knocker. Geology fascinates me but the hammer is a relic from when the boys were young and fossil hunting along the Jurassic Coast was an annual expedition. Where I currently live is a rather dreary limestone basin rubbed by the glaciers into eskers and clays.

Are you in the drumlin belt?

Excellent work as ever on the Dornier.  

Edited by JosephLalor

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

To finish, an obligatory test-fit to make sure that any detailing doesn't conflict with closing the fuselage halves together:

Wow, that looks great!!!! But if there is anything that won't fit or goes into another, use this. It works/helps everywhere and and everytime:

post2.jpg

:whistle: Cheers and a good evening.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 9/25/2017 at 11:55 AM, TheBaron said:

I won't be surprised to find we have a little argy-bargy - if not an actual hows-your-father -

can you clarify that for me in terms of a stooshie or a stramash please?  (remember... I's from up Norff)  Just be careful it disnae turn intae a full blown rammy

All the gizzards are looking particularly fine and adding a real depth of character to the a/c.  - can't wait for some pigmentation to be applied

On 25/09/2017 at 7:17 PM, keefr22 said:

What, like sticking bits of plastic together...?

Vell, ze hoomin brain is a bit like a model aircraft you know <taps cigar ash>exseppt ze instructions. are ver' confusing und seem to be missing a sheet. Also, it comes in a range off containerz, not all of them pretty to look at. Zis iz vat we find.

On 25/09/2017 at 7:30 PM, JosephLalor said:

Are you in the drumlin belt?

Oh but for such glamour! :D

No Joseph; over here in the unremarkable western end of the Central Plain. Kind of like Mordor on a quiet Wednesday afternoon...

On 25/09/2017 at 8:02 PM, bbudde said:

Cheers and a good evening.

:rofl2:

On 25/09/2017 at 10:56 PM, pheonix said:

I can also suggest much better aids than bbudde's too......

Oh my. What parties you must go to sir.:coolio:

On 26/09/2017 at 1:21 PM, jrlx said:

Excellent work as always! Steady progress as well.

My thanks for that Jaime.:thumbsup2: 

How's the language course coming along?

On 26/09/2017 at 5:32 PM, hendie said:

can you clarify that for me in terms of a stooshie or a stramash please?  (remember... I's from up Norff)  Just be careful it disnae turn intae a full blown rammy

Ach. Ya canny teuchter. Away to yer fancy Alasdair Gray books...:winkgrin:

On 26/09/2017 at 5:32 PM, hendie said:

All the gizzards are looking particularly fine and adding a real depth of character to the a/c.  - can't wait for some pigmentation to be applied

Funnily enough I was idly fiddling with iModelkit last night before sleep, trying to work out the best ratios for turning Tamiya XF22 into RLM02 with my existing paint selection. I'd been mildly tempted by the Model Air RLM stuff @CedB has been wafting across his Tante Ju recently, but take a perverse pleasure in seeing what pretties I can knock up  from what's lying around...

On 26/09/2017 at 7:06 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Wow Tony, I've just been catching up a tad. Some proper bostin' detailing going on. Glad you'll be at Telford

From a chap who makes individual bullets in 1/72, I accept that encomium with pride Tomo! :thumbsup2:

Yeah - Telford should be a mad whirl, but looking forwards to seeing as many of ye there as possible. Apart from leaving some time aside for making costly and injudicious purchases as well of course....:banghead:

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I can't get enough of this!

You crazy Martian. More to slake your Arean appetites below!:D

11 hours ago, pheonix said:

As Hendie writes - that will look even better when it is painted.

Thanks Phoenix. The prospect of breaking out some colour on that is growing increasingly appealing. Unless more knowledgeable heads intervene, I'd intend a general coat of RLM02 for the main structures, blacks for the IP and various pipe fittings, radio boxes etc. with some limited scuff and stain to give it all a general air of Luftwaffe shabby-chic.

I've a couple of days' progress so I'll do this mini-mega-update in two parts tonight. Firstly though I'd like to pause and say a huge

:thanks: to @TonyTiger66,

gentleman modeller of this parish and Avid Antipodean Correspondent on the forum.

Look what that kindly soul sent northwards in my direction:

23520089028_16eec0f92b_c.jpg

As ever I'm knocked out by the generosity of spirit to be found on this forum and Tony's benevolent gift is sure to enhance the final quality of this build no end. Thank-you sir! :worthy:

I had a peek in the box earlier and no doubt you'll want one too?

36663419704_c8925f260d_c.jpg

I forgot to put it in the shot but there's a metal axle to go with that creamy ensemble: ato putting it all together, well Kora show full confidence that the modeller can fashion those sundries into this:

23520090578_b9a27884c7_c.jpg

Simples - no?;)  That hand-drawn bilingual sheet looks most pleasing in an era of 'clean' DTP and CAD....

Now. With that pleasant news related, here's where we've got to now.

As predicted, there was a need for some remedial action on fitting the tanks into the fuselage. Having taken into account the extra thickness of the vacforming plastic (1mm) I used when carving the buck for the tanks, I was initially puzzled as to why they didn't fit, seeing as they matched the required size in the scaled plans. After a period of cogitation, the proverbial low-value coinage descended and I realized that two related issues were hindering harmonious fettlage.

The first factor was that I hadn't taken into account the thickness of the inner walls of the fuel room - those that create the central nave-like passageway in the tank room. I'd also installed them slightly outboard too much by about half a millimetre on each side (enough at these tolerances to make a difference) so scalplelled them off and repositioned them to the correct location. The other factor was simply the thickness of the kit plastic itself in relation to the plans. Obviously really, but I'd simply overlooked this factor. Out with a small birr then for some thinning-down of the fuselage walls:

37303245802_48d76c681c_c.jpg

Not the easiest angle to get at but on low power and moving cautiously I was able to get the thickness down to this eventually:

36623757194_b8e9ae57a2_c.jpg

Any further and it risked buckling or warping the skin.

So did it work?

Well, adjacent - but no Havana was obtained.

Until

Both the sides of the tanks received a minor shave with a sanding drum on the Dremelclone, thence success! :thumbsup:

37303244152_9bcde492ea_c.jpg

They're even level on both sides so not all my measurements were astray:

36623753374_128c4e9e1e_c.jpg

I won't fix those tanks in permanently until the interior painting is complete:

36623759854_82a6cf07e1_c.jpg

Anyone care to make an educated guess as to what colour the bodywork of those tanks might be? I've got it fixed in my head that that they would be a kind of dark-sienna resinous-brown colour, but have absolutely no idea where that mental picture was gleaned from. :hmmm:

Intermission.

Drinks and snack are available in the foyer,

• Like 10

Wow, more scary BIG tool action Tony, your bravery will stay in my mind for some time.

Tanks for the memory (oh, suit yourself) :D

Out with the Potter's Wheel...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Act II, Sc.1

Baron enters, holding a mug of tea and half-eaten caramel wafer. He pauses before a gilt-framed mirror, places the tea and wafer upon an occasional table beside him and proceeds to adjust a splinter camouflage cravat that billows freely from the neck of a pale-green silk van Heusen shirt. His tanned skin is the colour of a Dornier fuel-tank and from the top of his head protrudes a tall motor room with a slowly-rotating propellor at each end. He looks shaken by his reflection.

Baron: My God! What was in that tea?

The Good Folk of the Forum: It's not the tea - it was the caramel Luftwafer...

Exeunt

Why is it that you only finally get the hang of the Gothic proportioning of these interior doorways when getting near to the end of the need to build them?

23520092258_fe049c624e_c.jpg

On thinner card such as this you can see the deformation that my current set of hole punches produces - here's a 5mm effort:

23520093028_6793395026_c.jpg

That distortion around the aperture isn't pretty. Salvagable of course, but not pretty.

The RP Toolz punch and die stuff looks great, but aside from the wedge of moolah involved, their big set doesn't go above 4.5mm unfortunately. I did read somewhere recently of a way that you can cannibalize a set of drill bits to make your own set of whatever diameters you need; it sounded so straightforward that I completely forgot to bookmark it of course....

This is bulkhead 17 that we're working on here btw. On the forward-facing side of it is a remote compass (fernkompass). I know not why there should be such a thing halfway down the aircraft in the cargo space, but  that will not stop me building it:

23520093368_f503eca93b_c.jpg

I then added some framing to the bulkhead and fixed this into place:

23520093918_24d0d8bffe_c.jpg

Adding some Slater's rod in order to express the diagonal bracing underneath:

23520093678_0c1cc84337_c.jpg

Once dry, I glued the bulkhead into place, extending the existing series back to crate another room:

23520095738_9e2201b4fb_c.jpg

Slowly but surely now the tail approacheth:

23520095438_ec2b4bacfe_z.jpg

Here's  the side elevation:

37371908911_0dc9e0b735_c.jpg

Behind that bulkhead nowis what is referred to as the hinterer Raum (rear space), the final one at the back of the aircraft that the crew would use in flight. Directly behind bulkhead 17 is the crew khazi, followed by another seat and podium for the rear gunner. If I re-post the side view from the beginnings of this thread:

dornier_do18_drawing09.gif

You can hopefully see how from bulkhead 17 backwards now the gangway proceeds in a series of upward 'steps', culminating at bulkhead 22 just back from where the rear gunner stands.

Next up then is out with the lathe to build a toilet. Will the glamour never end.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

More great stuff Tony, impressive as always :)

Where did you get those wafers?

The DIY punch thing I saw was made by drilling a hole in perspex and using the other end of the same bit as a punch. I think that's it. If you can get some really good bits with 'sharp' ends, might work?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CedB said:

Where did you get those wafers?

Lidl. They keep them under the counter so you have to ask discreetly...

25 minutes ago, CedB said:

The DIY punch thing I saw was made by drilling a hole in perspex and using the other end of the same bit as a punch. I think that's it. If you can get some really good bits with 'sharp' ends, might work?

That sounds about right Ced. Can you remember where you saw that at all?

• Haha 2

On 9/21/2017 at 8:11 PM, TheBaron said:

Second stage of the operation involved the use of a smaller birr to grind away the remaining material until flush with the door frame:

36974392310_9b8ecae71a_c.jpg

I use edenderries and portarlingtons myself...

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Great update, really enjoyed reading that. That Kora beaching trolly is a most generous gift from TT. I have one for my Matchbox He115 when I eventually get round to building it (it's already been in the stash for nearly forty years but I will get there eventually). The instructions with yours are a paragon of clarity compared to the ones with mine. Looking forward to the beaching trolly annex build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Act II, Sc.1

Baron enters, holding a mug of tea and half-eaten caramel wafer. He pauses before a gilt-framed mirror, places the tea and wafer upon an occasional table beside him and proceeds to adjust a splinter camouflage cravat that billows freely from the neck of a pale-green silk van Heusen shirt. His tanned skin is the colour of a Dornier fuel-tank and from the top of his head protrudes a tall motor room with a slowly-rotating propellor at each end. He looks shaken by his reflection.

Baron: My God! What was in that tea?

The Good Folk of the Forum: It's not the tea - it was the caramel Luftwafer...

Exeunt

:rofl2:  Nutter....!! :rofl2:

And @TonyTiger66 deserves a :cheers:and a :clap:- generosity personified! 

Keith

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I use edenderries and portarlingtons myself...

Dread to think what you do with your Borris-in-Ossory...:P

12 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Great update, really enjoyed reading that. That Kora beaching trolly is a most generous gift from TT. I have one for my Matchbox He115 when I eventually get round to building it (it's already been in the stash for nearly forty years but I will get there eventually). The instructions with yours are a paragon of clarity compared to the ones with mine. Looking forward to the beaching trolly annex build.

Thanks Nigel.:thumbsup2: 

40 years-a-stashing? Why do I picture a vault in your floor like this, packed with vintage plastic?

cave_ronde-400x300.jpg

:D

Annex build? I'd best propose a Beaching Trolley GB so we can both get ours done!

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

:rofl2:  Nutter....!! :rofl2:

These are my people.

:D

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

generosity personified! 

He is that, and more.:nodding:

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Mentioned here but I thought I saw some pictures...

Ta for that Ced. That was exactly the link I was on about! Weird how I too thought there were pictures. A tribute to @SleeperService 's powers  of description I guess!

I ordered a sheet of 10mm perspex last evening to have a crack at that idea...

Hope to get some time in this afternoon so get back to you all this evening. Have a good Friday* y'all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow, more scary BIG tool action Tony, your bravery will stay in my mind for some time.

I hesitate to give this sentence more air time :whistle: - but will plough bravely on in ignorance of any possible misconstruction :) and say simply that you must be a man with nerves of steel Tony and the steady hands of a brain surgeon.......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

First off, TT and all you other generous Britmodeller folks thank you all for being the most generous, inclusive wonderful people in modelling

I find this atmosphere of "I'm not using it, you really ought to instead!" every build I get into, no wonder the 'place of little minds'  doesn't attract me

And back on course, who took that picture of Steve's wine cellar?

Was he off on one of his Scot's forays?

As for the Dornier, this is one of the most amazing surgical performances I've witnessed

I'd love to be sitting near the front as you perform in theatre to a rapt audience of modelling students

Marvellous mi deario, could you be persuaded to share this with us at Telford one wonders?

😀. 😷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Nice wine cellar :D

I prefer the one at the Radisson Blue Stanstead. It's got 'Angels':

I expect they keep the expensive wines at the top to encourage, er, consumption?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

I hesitate to give this sentence more air time

Can't believe I missed that choice example of Ced-deluxe on the first pass Steve! :lol:

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

and say simply that you must be a man with nerves of steel Tony and the steady hands of a brain surgeon.......

Your very kind sir, though them as knows me might say that from time-to-time it might also be hands of steel and brain of a sturgeon. Remind me to tell you about my kettle-flex boiling episode when we meet....:banghead:

5 hours ago, perdu said:

First off, TT and all you other generous Britmodeller folks thank you all for being the most generous, inclusive wonderful people in modelling

Hear hear! I wish to associate myself with those comments by the Rt. Hon. Member for Buccaneershire North.  :clap:

5 hours ago, perdu said:

And back on course, who took that picture of Steve's wine cellar?

On reflection Bill it strikes me as an exceptionally hazardous design for more - shall we say enthusiastic - drinkers? Several bottles down at the dinner party and one of the guests plummets shrieking through the floor on the way back from the toilet...

5 hours ago, perdu said:

As for the Dornier, this is one of the most amazing surgical performances I've witnessed

I'd love to be sitting near the front as you perform in theatre to a rapt audience of modelling students

Marvellous mi deario, could you be persuaded to share this with us at Telford one wonders?

Reet chuffed at reading that Bill. Thanks! :thumbsup:

As to a Telfordian display of said Dornierity, I s'pose there's a couple of options - either bring it over in the boot of the car, else fetchingly arranged as part of an elaborate Ascot Ladies' Day-style hat. Martian did say to dress-up after all. I'll see what state it's in nearer the time...:nodding:

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I prefer the one at the Radisson Blue Stanstead. It's got 'Angels':

Seems an awfully complicated job just to change the keg.

That is quite an amazing video Ced - Stanstead you say? Sometimes I feel that I've been out in the sticks too long when looking at them fancy city ways they have now. :lol:

I suspect that after the 3rd pint of Snakebite and a peach schnapps chaser, I might start feeling a little queasy in the presence of bar-staff that regularly ascend toward the roof like departing souls....

I must apologize btw if my update of last evening was a trifle OTT. I'd just gotten through a pretty intense several days at work and by the time freedom beckoned last evening, was possibly a bit giddy by the time I fingered the Qwerty...

Today has been easier (and shorter!) thankfully, so it was out with the lathe first:

37343116926_c841ab1ffd_c.jpg

Some hollow plastic tube, machined down to about 4mm diameter and a lip incised around the bottom. The addition of a 5mm lid knocked out of some scrasp with a punch and rounded-off, and we have a toilet:

36681632554_b694e4e25c_c.jpg

I'll have to dig back through the thread to that 'Edelweiss' picture Martian put up, as I presume a roll or two would have been provided for 'comfort and convenience':

37343117676_96f59f1a55_c.jpg

Any pictures I've seen of the aircrew and mechanics they look like a typically rambunctious bunch of salts, so I'm presuming reading matter would have been limited to sport and gynaecology.

As mentioned heretofore, the 'floor' of the aircraft narrows down considerably as we head rearward, and begins also to 'step' up in increments in order to followthe profile of the keel,so I've started on this process:

37343115426_9db4bf8c1d_c.jpg

Black plastic isn't the best at showing up in edge-on photos, so here's a better angle:

37360160922_675565f37e_c.jpg

There's a gangway to add down the centre there as well but the next job I wanted to tackle was to get the last of the seats done, which sits at the back of the rearmost step you see in the photo above. It's only shown on a couple of graphic plans, without further detail in the text or parts breakdowns. One of the things I've noticed in the manuals is that as we get farther back in the aircraftm then there's less equipment and hence less discussion of the interior spaces. There may be another manual I haven't been able to source about all the military-related fittings (there's one floating around the web for the 'G' variant gunner's specs for example, but not the 'D'), so I've nothing detailed to base the interior around the rear gunner's position on bar the basic structural elements in the manual and a couple of close-up external photos looking in. Near as I can judge this seat was of the collapsible back-folding-forward-over-the-seat-when-not-in-use type and sits immediately forward of the podium the gunner would stand on in action:

36681630734_f82f11e751_c.jpg

It's somewhat smaller than the pilot's seat, but I basically used the same process to build the main body, scoring the card to shape it, and in this case making the diagonal braces from some parts left over from a Marabu RAF bomb rack set:

37343116026_e0b656ba6c_c.jpg

To add some square legs to the base I simply used some staples:

36681631244_d811a7b060_c.jpg

It occurred to me a few days ago that this would be an economic means for such structure - rather than soldering up a framework the staples already have the legs bent into position on one side so you only need to cut to length and re-bend a single end:

37343116406_18deefed24_c.jpg

Do you hear the Mastermind theme looking at that last photo as well?:lol:

That's all the noo. I want to work some more on this last rear section over the weekend whilst the momentum seems to be there. I think only a few days if all goes well and there might be a shot of primer heading onto that interior in order to start checking appearances more closely.

Do have a most pleasant evening all of you and happy building!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 9

Such an excellent rendition of the 'bognschnausser raum' Tony it looks lovely, maybe not a place to practice the gynaecology revision though

I'd think several, if not many rolls of Edelweiss would be on board

If she'd been a Britmachine I guarantee the paper would have been no less scratchy than Sanizal

And many hours with only Izal was, as you'll no doubt recall ain't no fun...

😵

• Haha 4

Marvellous stuff. Where else would you hear “I used my lathe to make a toilet”. I love this place. 

Bill I remember Izal growing up and the blissful, opulent move to tissue. We’re all soft nowadays eh? Soft, strong and very long...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2