Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

On 17/09/2017 at 13:22, hendie said:

richt stoatin' it is.

Sorry can't do German but I have retained some of the vernacular of the homeland, so that will have to suffice

Welsh, Hendie? 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just caught up over a few hours, with a little sleep in the middle (it's 9.10am here).

A fascinating build thread Tony; it's going to make a great resource for future build(er)s of this model.

I know you'll have thought about this already but: memories from my 1:1 car restoration days (in particular an old Lotus Europa and a mishap) are telling me that it would be wise to put a goodly blob of Milliput behind, as well as on top of, your reshaped nose skin.

Pack some in the compartment, so that the tiny amount of remaining original plastic is sandwiched by Milliput.

That will prevent Captain Misfortune from coming along, just after you've put the last coat of varnish on, and putting a nice, prominent hairline stress crack in the nose.

Experience shaping fibreglass repairs on vehicles (which, of course, flex), informs this suggestion.

Once your Dornier is on the waves, with those big high wings, the waves lashing the hull, the vibration of the engine, that hull will need to be strong :thumbsup2: 

Who said that?

What do you mean; "It's not real"?

Of course it's real you clot! Haven't you been listening, the fuel tanks go in next?

I ask you, some people :rolleyes: .

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Codeword involved here: Mrs T. has posted the 'pikelet tidy' to you. Don't let on, in case anything bad happens over the South China Sea. They keep firing missiles you know. It looks like a nice pikelet tidy and was well wrapped :).

TT

• Like 4

On 9/19/2017 at 5:05 PM, CedB said:

Wow, that was SCARY! Texas Dremel-clone Massacre! Worked out fine in the end though, phew!

Pleased to hear the drill bits are working well - mine are on the way from the Orient as we speak...

All in a day's work here at Grindcore Central..:lol: I was glad to see in your Tante Ju thread that your drill bits had arrived Ced - I can't believe the difference they've made.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, hendie said:

Isn't that half the fun ?  

Fun? 

It's the voices make me do it...

On 9/19/2017 at 5:20 PM, jrlx said:

Regarding the C1 level, it's the first of the advanced levels in the German language course I'm taking.

My very best wishes for success in your studies Jaime!:nodding:

On 9/19/2017 at 6:14 PM, Martian Hale said:

Good work on the cutaway bits, the loo and the Wehrmacht toilet paper really do have to go in now!

On 9/19/2017 at 7:12 PM, pheonix said:

Totally agree with the tentacled one! You have your work cut out now!

It bears repeating, but there is an unwholesome fascination with sanitary fixtures in this forum...:winkgrin:

Or is it that being gentleman of a particular age, we tend to keep a weather-eye on the location of such facilities when out and about...:hmmm: 

I can't help noticing that many local councils in England now seem ideologically committed to flogging off public toilets as 'commercial opportunities', thereby putting England back to a pre-Victorian state of civic amenity.:swear:

On 9/19/2017 at 10:55 PM, Spookytooth said:

Great surgery there Tony.

Ta Simon. Sir Lancelot Spratt is my role model...

YooniqImages_102302137.jpg

On 9/20/2017 at 12:26 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

I know you'll have thought about this already but: memories from my 1:1 car restoration days (in particular an old Lotus Europa and a mishap) are telling me that it would be wise to put a goodly blob of Milliput behind, as well as on top of, your reshaped nose skin.

Pack some in the compartment, so that the tiny amount of remaining original plastic is sandwiched by Milliput.

I was blithely ignorant of that eventuality so my thanks for that goodly advice Sir Tiger. It shall be so!

Codeword involved here: Mrs T. has posted the 'pikelet tidy' to you.

Wunderbar! The rest can wonder for a while...:wicked:

the fuel tanks go in next?

I had imagined so myself...but then found some other bits that needed doing before we get to that point. What are the chances eh? :lol:

Milling and plunging to relate in this next update.

I'd mentioned previously my immediate disenchantment with the first pass at making the radio compass fitted to one of the tables in the radio room. The old part is in the bin and I hauled the lathe out to machine a better representation from some old Boxcar runner:

37182056996_43cfb5abce_c.jpg

The plastic from the Italieri Boxcar is a rather decent creamy texture (like a hard resin) and machines down very nicely. And yes Martian - I WILL build 

bcd8693f553627574dbf3ea550737469.pngin a similar fashion....

Here is the compass added now - looking rather like a chess-piece I grant you - but a lot closer to the real thing than my first pathetic attempt:

37182057676_f7cc6d1ec1_c.jpg

I've also finished tidying the tank room access panels, by the simple expedient of pressing a blob of Milliput in the necessary corners, belnding them in with a wet round brush,and a final tidy up with a small half-round file when hard:

36974390820_1c0f3868ef_c.jpg

More to follow in a few mins, just trying to find the folder I dumped the pics in...

• Like 12

You're only s'posed to blow the bloody...well...you get the idea:

37182049206_0a530b19dd_c.jpg

A quick and brutal plunge to bore out the bulk of the access doors to the motor room. I'm not sure but I believe these doors may have been the main way the crew embarked into the aircraft.I've not seen shots of ladders up elsewhere for them to crawl in through the top of the canopy of gunnery positions, plus on shots of demise of M7+YK, that's where the crea are also bailing out from with the dinghy:

dornier_do_18_oct_39.jpg

Second stage of the operation involved the use of a smaller birr to grind away the remaining material until flush with the door frame:

36974392310_9b8ecae71a_c.jpg

The final smoothing out needed some 'slow but sure' with round and half round files for the final polish:

37182051766_b20260b25d_c.jpg

Taping both sides together and you can see the level of visibility this will give into the motor room area:

37182052716_d953e15680_c.jpg

Not a huge amount:

37182053396_c9853fb314_c.jpg

But enough to give some added interest above the tank room. Although the engines won't be visible there's some large compressed air flasks to go , plus a floor with a ladder presumably allowing the crew to climb down into the aircraft through the motor room, though oddly enough I can find no reference to this actual region/operation in the manuals so far:

37182054246_e3c8943170_c.jpg

One last matter. Our postman Gerry turned up with some guns for me today:

37182056246_d01c5c755b_c.jpg

I'd almost given up on them arriving - 5 weeks to reach me from the Czech Republic seems rather long in this day and age..ah well. Pleased with the quality of the goods, now that they're here.:thumbsup:

Night all,

Tony

• Like 14

Nice work on the compass Tony, that's turned out well (titter) :D

It does look a bit like a chess piece but even more like a radio? You'd better check mate (guffaw) :)

Those access doors look great though, very neat job Sir. Do you think they need a ladder? How far is it from the floor?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

She's taking shape very nicely. Those open doors will really make a difference!

Thanks for that Ian. From what I've been able to guesstimate from the manuals, there must have been some kind of ladder leading down from that motor-room into the tank room below. 

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great progress and your usual high standard of work!

Thank-you Jaime. Other things are competing for my attention at present so the bursts of activity at present seem to be short, intense, and periodical. One benefit of this pattern of course is having time to reflect upon the previous detail before attempting the next.

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the compass Tony, that's turned out well (titter) :D

It does look a bit like a chess piece but even more like a radio? You'd better check mate (guffaw) :)

Those access doors look great though, very neat job Sir. Do you think they need a ladder? How far is it from the floor?

Well. Somebody was high on the gin of life yesterday! :rofl2:

There's a collapsible ladder further back mounted on the wall in the cargo space Ced, which is the only evidence I can see so far for climbing up or down into the motor room from the fuselage. Presumably this would be tucked away in the cargo space during missions in order to avoid blocking the narrow corridor that runs between the fuel tanks on either side. The ladder itself would have to be long enough to reach from near the keel to the top of the fuselage to give access I reckon.

18 hours ago, pheonix said:

Super attention to detail. I do think that drilling is a bit brutal,

18 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Very neat and tidy work on those door apertures (even if it did look a bit brutal at the start).

Phoenix, Nigel, my thanks both.

I'd be the first to say that this 'forthright' approach with the Dremel is surely a matter of personal taste - in my case I prefer this methodology purely on the basis that being more rapid and decisive, it yields fewer mistakes than if I was laboriously using small saws and filing on such tasks. This says a great deal of course about my patience and ability with saws and files.:lol:

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Quick and Easy

I shall not be backward in invoking the trade descriptions act should the case display contraindications m'lud!:winkgrin:

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Err, you didn't go to Eton did you?

He couldn't have. Our Johnny is far too decent a human being to have endured the same place that regularly excretes a cast of sharp-elbowed chancers upon British society.

17 hours ago, hendie said:

Do the doors open inwards or outwards ?

That sir is an excellent question, to which I must emphatically answer er....where's the manual....let me get back to you on that hendie.

Yes indeed - a lot of room to put in place some pukka engineering-baroque. One thing I noticed last evening thumbing through the handbuch was that the floor of the tank room is not a floor per se (as I had blithely believed from plan views), but from an oblique photo it became  clear that in this space it becomes a narrow walkway nearly down on the keel of the hull itself, due to the height of the surrounding fuel tanks. More on the tanks below.

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ok, you killed her,  but now I like to see, how the tale goes on!

Ah. A little bit of the Maiden of an Autumn evening. Thanks Benedikt. I miserably failed in a mission to get tickets to see them on that tour at the Hammersmith Odeon, in late 84 iirc. Having already seen both Motorhead and Michael Schenker Group there the previous year though I wasn't hard done by metallically-speaking. Hard of hearing perhaps, but not hard-done by...:guitar:

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I am a child, for this has been the high point of a very long day.

I no longer feel alone in a cold universe brother.

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Hells no.

Of course not. Didn't I say as much to Ian above.:nodding:

Charterhouse though?:whistle:

Having been paring-away the original kit lately I thought it time to start giving something back.

I went out to the Siegfried Line and plucked me one of these:

36576875843_ac1a4fd49b_c.jpg

Doubtless neither the first nor last modellificator to find some necessary raw material dangling amidst the domesticities. I've no idea what wood they actuallymake clothes pegs from (white deal?) but either way the greater  density than balsa made a good starting point of a vacforming buck.

Some sihrscing and sanding and about 15 mins later we have a decent replica of the top of a fuel tank:

37199669726_ce84b44286_c.jpg

This doesn't need to be uber-smooth but does need to fit the fuselage opening from which these are dragged forth when undergoing tank replacement:

37199662496_7cb7175cbb_c.jpg

A check also against the plans stuck to the tankraum floor, for width:

36576872313_38423522c2_c.jpg

Enough to move onto the next stage.

I've a lot of 1mm black sheet left over from making the replacement rear end for the C-119, so on with the oven and out with the vacform rig:

36576873333_cb99523cf2_c.jpg

I needed one each for port and starboard, and by letting the plastic get nice and 'saggy' in the oven, there were no problems forming such a small shape from such thick sheet:

37199665056_7cd1466eea_c.jpg

As with using big attachments in the Dremel to open out small areas on the aircraft, I also find it easier to use big tools for trimming shapes like these:

36576874733_3afda3a69c_c.jpg

The Stanley blade gives a perfect guillotine cut and when clunked with a geology hammer: the force is transmitted down in a more concentrated form, thereby needing less force I find than a traditional hammer, due to the long and narrow cross section of the hammer in the direction of travel. Four clunks apiece and:

37199667696_de70c5bf8b_c.jpg

Total time for job from start to finish, about 90 mins.

There's some frame-detailing and pipe connections to add on top. I might try and get some more of that up for you later.

On a related matter I bought a ticket for Telford earlier. Ferry and Travelodge booked also for what will be a flying visit on the Saturday as I have to be back at base on the Sunday. My youngest is going to come over with me to sample the glamour of it all as well. Never having been before it should be 'an experience' and hopefully a chance to shake a few hands of good friends from here!

:guitar::thumbsup::yahoo:

Yay etc.

Baron Excited.

• Like 13

Great sihrscing Tony, looking great

Now listen up pilgrim, you HAVE to come to the Birmingham IPMS table and log in

OK?

There will certainly be many of us to meet, greet or... avoid if you like and we can use Brum's stand as an IP

I'll be manning it most of the time anyway, Tomo will likely be around too. ☺

( you've really got the way of the sihrsc by the way, very smooth work)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, perdu said:

Great sihrscing Tony, looking great

OK?

There will certainly be many of us to meet, greet or... avoid if you like and we can use Brum's stand as an IP

Group photo!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

That was never in doubt Bill, whatever else was going on the Brum table was on the itinerary as a matter of course. Knowing Tomo will be in the vicinity too, well, icing+cake really.:D

Is there a map of where all the various clubs etc. are stationed? I must check the website...

Did I say I love the sihrsc? :lol: Magnificent implement.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Group photo!

If I can fight my way through the hordes of society photographers trying to get shots of all the beautiful people I'll do my best PC. It is smart formal-wear at these events I take it?:hmmm:

36 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

You make that vacforming malarkey look easy. I know it's not.

I have had good teachers on the forum.:nodding: Same with learning to solder. <Looking at you Mr. Heath...>:winkgrin:

A final surge tonight - some detailing on those tanks:

36540118794_c16df37794_c.jpg

Serendipitously one of the circuit boards I'd been dismantling had some itsy-bitsy metal cuff-like things that looked perfect for one of the connection points on top of the tanks, so these were CA'd into a drilled hole on each one.

The remaining work adding a second connection with pipework was made from a punched-out piece of metal foil and some scrap tube, plus handling rails down each side with more metal foil for the straps: hardly a thrilling set of tasks so I just took a shot at the end:

37392409185_d978f48066_c.jpg

They look a bit like steampunk suppositories in that state but slathered with some primer and paint later on they should set off the metal nave of the tankraum rather nicely.

Sweet dreams all.

:bear:

Tony

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

If I can fight my way through the hordes of society photographers trying to get shots of all the beautiful people I'll do my best PC. It is smart formal-wear at these events I take it?:hmmm:

Many years ago, before I was married and got to touch a lady on the (semi-)regular, I used to attend GenCon, a very large Dungeons and Dragons convention, which not incidentally in sartorial terms makes Telford look like London debs being presented to HRH The Queen. I always wore a suit, because one has a responsibility to raise the tone.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Many years ago, before I was married and got to touch a lady on the (semi-)regular, I used to attend GenCon, a very large Dungeons and Dragons convention, which not incidentally in sartorial terms makes Telford look like London debs being presented to HRH The Queen. I always wore a suit, because one has a responsibility to raise the tone.

I just inhaled me warm milk and nutmeg reading that. :lol:

My mother once got presented to the Duke of Edinburgh at some Variety Club do she'd blagged into. Her comment on the encounter: 'His shoes were in an awful state...'

Noblesse dis-oblige I guess you'd call it...

• Like 4

I regret, children, that I will be required to wear uniform at the show for the duration

Not even denims and hairy shirt and stable belt with tucked away beret, (ah happy days) but the new, as  yet unseen burgundy coloured polo shirts with the rather fetching IPMS Brummagem logo and my name

My real name too, the chairman looked a trifle askance when I mooted the possibility of perdu finding its way on there

Oh well I tried

I do hope we can get a group hug sorry photograph of the sort we managed with Ced Keith and Deb amongst us last year, maybe Martian the friendly alien can muster one or two tentacles to hold the box Brownie whist getting in shot with us all

I will be like the Duke

My trainers will not be polished I fear

I am told Tony that we (the Branch) will again be within the area also retained for our overseas guests which is very convenient for the café

And I believe, the entrance  ;)

• Like 3