Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

Hello all!

A really great range of aircraft to find myself amongst here - the best of luck to all of you taking part! :thumbsup2:

I'm going with the <'venerable'/'well-known'/'not entirely without problems'> Dornier Do 18 from Matchbox, meaning that it will require some not insignificant work turning the 'G' variant OOB into an earlier 'D'. I'll take you through some of these issues in a moment.

The Roy Huxley box-art is characteristically gorgeous and evocative:

36467144981_18076b6157_c.jpg

I don't intend holding things up by doing a kit review of already well-documented issues but will simply point out the things that need doing for a 'D'.

The transparencies have already been thrown away on the grounds of optical thickness:

35769804914_b78129a9a4_c.jpg

I should add that the kit came without instructions or decals. The former I've sourced in digital form from Scalemates, the latter will be dealt with at the time by a combination of painting and printing my own decals.

The particular aircraft I'm intent on modifying the kit to represent is M7+YK, a Dornier Do 18 D-3 from 2/Kü.Fl.Gr 506. Piloted by Lt z See Wilhelm Freiherr von Reitzenstein she was shot down by Skuas from H.M.S Ark Royal on 26th Sept. 1939, reputedly the first Luftwaffe loss of the war (though this has been questioned in some quarters). Other crew members were the observer: Leutnant zur See Ernst Korner, Radio operator: Unteroffizier Walter Heckt, and Flight Engineer: Unteroffizier Fritz Schmalfeldt. My interest in this incident was piqued by discovering a wartime HMSO volume on the Ark Royal from 1942 in a Dorset bookshop back in the summer:

36582554432_181b4d0236_z.jpg

In it was a sequence of shots of HMS Somali rescuing the crew of M7+YK, that I hadn't seen presented together before:

36705151336_d34f353fd3_c.jpg

There was something about seeing this sequence that gave an immersion in the incident that a single image alone can't reproduce. For some reason the sunglint on water in the final image is resonant of a particular moment in time and place. History, in fact...

There is little substantive material published in web or book form on the Do 18 to base a detailed build upon - let alone the 'D' variant - so I purchased a complete set of flying and maintenance manuals from Udo over at Luftfahrt-archiv-hafner. The level of detail is astonishing in them and despite the contemporary gothic font hampering my minimal language skills, provides all that is required for this project. 

If I punch up a composite of kit and ladenplan for a 'D':

36606901295_973c6b51d8_b.jpg

...you can see that Matchbox did an excellent job of getting length and much of the shape right for the most part.

Same for the dual-engine upper-works:

35796420793_8a88bc4522_c.jpg

Only some minor addition of shape at the rear beneath prop where it curves inwards.

Aside from panel lines - both those present needing toning down and those needing scribing-in - the main things this needs to be 'D-ed' up are as follows.

1. Complete re-shaping of nose - from sharp prow-like 'G' to rounded 'D':

36705152476_89db19e4cb_c.jpg

You can see where I've sketched the difference in between the two in the image above.

2. Propellor blades and bosses. Not exactly sure how yet but these need to be reshaped and re-profiled, with the rear and front props being slightly different diameters as well (don't ask me which way round, I've got it written-down somewhere...).

3. Interior. Supplied cockpit and other interior parts need completely re-doing - I'll cram as much other detail in as seems appropriate at this scale. Supplied kit guns are risible (the cannon for the'G' turret is just a stick!) so I've a set of these on order, plus some spare mags to line the gunnery positions:

CMK7086.jpg

That's the only sop to AM parts, everything else will be scratch built.

The question of how the aircraft will be presented in the final display has required some thought. It was no real temptation to try and create a diorama of the shots taken from the Ark Royal publication as to be quite honest, I'm no great fan of building dioramas of actual events. What I want to try is something I've not seen done with this aircraft before: having a number of the access panels opened up as if it is being overhauled prior to an operation, fuel tanks being removed etc. I suspect lack of references have stopped people trying this before but with the maintenance manuals to hand, you've got to try and give your audience something different - haven't you? :lol:

How far we proceed down that route depends on the deadline for the GB  or course, as well as family and work commitments, but let's see how far we can push the process.

Conscious of the 20% rule, I've done some preparatory work in vacforming a new canopy and starting to re-shape the nose profile, but nothing to contravene the rules. I'll post some shots of these processes up tomorrow rather than make today's starting installment too heavy.

Looking forwards to this immensely and hope you are too!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 31

Hmmm, have to say I'm not that keen on WW2 Luftwaffe stuff (which doesn't explain why I have a half built Do17,  and 3 or 4 each of Fw190's & Bf109's in the stash!), so I'll just sit quietly at the back and watch this one Tony. Whatever it is though, I do like a nice Matchbox build...!!

Keith

• Like 2

Hi Tony, 

Welcome to the GB and thanks for the detailed discussion of your project. I'm really overwhelmed by the ambitious aims you set here!  I can only praise your courage :clap2:

Looking forward to seeing you setting it in motion! 

Cheers

Jaime

This looks like a nice and very interesting challenge.   Flying boats are almost as interesting as helicopters, and this one is a pushme pullyou to boot!

I'll be extremely interested in how you present the open panels and internals.  FYI - when I opened the panels on my Wessex, I vac formed styrene over the removed panels to get the correct('ish - it was an Italeri after all)  shape and something resembling scale thickness.  it seemed to work out okay.  

Also,  small electronic appliances yielded a remarkable number of useful "boxes" and gizzits for filling up the internals with aircrafty looking electrics 'n' bits

48 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

before but with the maintenance manuals to hand, you've got to try and give your audience something different - haven't you?

Can't wait..... I just hope the GB deadline doesn't impose limitations and deter you from doing what feels right !!!!!!

• Like 5

Wonderful introduction Tony :thumbsup2: 

It's an attractive seabird and warrants a comprehensive 'correcting'. I'm glad that Matchbox gave us such models, they were brave in their choices and have given us a superb legacy of diverse models.

I visited the Hafner archive; many thanks for the link. Now I think I must save pennies for a Klemm 32 CD manual :hmmm: .

The more Dorniers the merrier Tony, good luck for a fun build :).

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

Super!

Very interesting choice. Interesting sleek hull shape contrasted by up-out-of-the-way-of-the-waves (like most flying boats) engine pod.

This will make up for the Pelican (another seabird ;)) 9 hiatus, by the looks, given the amount of delcared (and no doubt unpremeditated) alterations and so forth.

Well done on your documentation coup, I'm envious (as usual).

It's a nice touch that the German crew was saved from the briney.

Following with great interest :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Looking forwards to this immensely and hope you are too!

..Very much so!! Nice choice & admirable ambitions for the conversion. Here's hoping it doesn't pusher & puller you apart along the way 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see a Matchbox kit in the group Tony. Far to much work for a lightweight like me, but I'm sure you will make an excellent job of it. 

Looking forward to your build. Joe.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to do this plane and only recently got the Matchbox kit (as a Revell rebox). I've mulled it over as an option for this GB but will probably go for something else. I'll be watching this with interest. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Can't miss this one Tony :popcorn:

This should be fun Ced.:D

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'll just sit quietly at the back and watch this one Tony. Whatever it is though, I do like a nice Matchbox build

Glad you're here Keithski! ^_^

22 hours ago, jrlx said:

Looking forward to seeing you setting it in motion! 

Cheers Jaime! Shhh...don't mention the word 'motion': there are folk on this forum who expect flashing lights and folding wings on every build. Trust me, I've met some of them.:lol:

22 hours ago, hendie said:

Flying boats are almost as interesting as helicopters

:rofl2: I may have to steal that line hendie and print it on a T-shirt to wander round Telford in. A perfect piece of deadpan for the occasion!

Thanks for the tips on handling the panels btw.:thumbsup2: I'm hoping the contour saws I got recently on Ced's recommendation will facilitate removal in a neater fashion than my usual butchery.

22 hours ago, hendie said:

I just hope the GB deadline doesn't impose limitations and deter you from doing what feels right !!!!!!

Since when has a deadline ever interfered with me cutting my way into trouble? I thought the Boxcar would be done by July!:lol:

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Wonderful introduction Tony :thumbsup2: 

It's an attractive seabird and warrants a comprehensive 'correcting'. I'm glad that Matchbox gave us such models, they were brave in their choices and have given us a superb legacy of diverse models.

I visited the Hafner archive; many thanks for the link. Now I think I must save pennies for a Klemm 32 CD manual :hmmm: .

Ta for that Tony.:thumbsup2: 

Udo is extremely prompt at replying and I think the stuff reached me in 3-4 days - immacculately presented.

16 hours ago, AlexN said:

This will make up for the Pelican (another seabird ;)) 9 hiatus,

I can still hear the muttering from over in WIP...:emo:

16 hours ago, AlexN said:

It's a nice touch that the German crew was saved from the briney.

I'm glad I could find the names of the whole crew - it bothers me when only the names of those in charge get recorded. 

11 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Nice choice & admirable ambitions for the conversion. Here's hoping it doesn't pusher & puller you apart along the way

Cheers greggles.:nodding: Mercifully no-one seems to make the Jumo engines for this in 1/72, so any temptation there may have been in that area is well-rebuffed...

7 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Looking forward to your build

Ta for that Joe! Matchbox stuff always pleased as a kid didn't it? And now we're all older kids....;)

5 hours ago, 825 said:

I've mulled it over as an option for this GB but will probably go for something else.

Don't by any means let me put you off 825. AFAIK there's no problem having different versions of the same kit done in the GB?

• Like 4

Can't wait to see this one started. I will build one as well in this GB, but I start it about a month later. This has to do with that I want to save some time and also that I will build it in the Matchbox GB that will start a month later.

Good luck with yours.:thumbsup:

Cheers,

• Like 1

These Dornier variants are really going to be interesting to compare. I have always had a fascination for flying boats and when I was younger and less well informed I confused the Dornier types with the Bv (Ha)139 - they look similar from a distance!

I am looking forward to seeing you take out panels and bits - so much more interesting than just a plain machine. Pity there are no engines available though, but you could always scratch build one........er no, better not go down that road...!

P

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 9:50 PM, Arniec said:

I will build one as well in this GB,

The more the merrier Arnie!

On 8/30/2017 at 11:15 PM, pheonix said:

I have always had a fascination for flying boats

Likewise phoenix, likewise. It's a fascination that can be explained in many ways but no single explanation is ever sufficient unto itself I feel. They just are, and are absorbing artefacts.. And yes, this GB should make for an interesting family tree for the Dornier Flugzeugwerke!

On 8/30/2017 at 11:15 PM, pheonix said:

Pity there are no engines available though

Bit of a relief tbh!:lol:

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice one Tony. Glad to see you're doing a standard out of the box build.

Ta Johnny. Well...the bits come out of the box at the start - as you well know, what happens to them after that can pretty swiftly change into the Rites of Dionysus...

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ditto.

Thankfully having no wheelie-bits to contend with on this Steve saves me from looking a pale and distant cousin to your magnifico Hawk roller-skates...;) 

My overall impression of the kit so far is that for its vintage it is a decent representation of the overall shape and dimensions, and what is astray seems amenable to a reasonable level of correction.

One thing I will say is that having gotten my sticky mitts on a proper slew of documentation for this beastie, it has made me want to amass the same level of research materials for future builds. In terms of a formal understanding of structure, not having any personal experience as air or ground crew to draw upon makes me keenly aware that I only understand a small body of the implications of things seen in photographic walkarounds. I already have my minces on a parts manual for a Boxcar for the New Year resumption of same....

8 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Wow. I'd like to build one of these, but I'd never dream of going this far beyond the box. So, I'm fascinated to see how it builds up. In the meantime I shall keep perusing the ebay for a cheap kit that I can abuse.

Wotcha Chris. I had no idea that there was a vacform of the Whale's Calf available! :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRMODEL-vac-form-kit-of-the-Dornier-Do-18-Flying-Boat-rare-kit-/322700113750?hash=item4b226cf756:g:v3kAAOSwd7lZqF1p

As to going 'beyond the box', the trick is to see the box as a boundary that can be transcended by the application of unjustifiable optimism...:lol:

11 minutes ago, hendie said:

C'mon c'mon.... you've got fully paid up spectators here drooling with anticipation don'tcha know - when are we going to see some laceration and butchery ?

Ay can prawmise a bit of haction at the commencement of this festival of plastic tomorrow!

Btw, you are officially a bad influence hendie. One of these, along with some brass sheet is now winging it's way to the Baronial sward:

71Mm3gZg3LL._SX355_.jpg

:lol:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'm sure I can find something else to entice you with if I try hard enough

He went and made a top-drawer vac forming machine - which took took the Dental Vac off the list........;)

But I've been thinking that I might wander along to Maplin and invest in some of this soldering type stuff.  Everyone else bloomin well has...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, hendie said:

heh heh heh!   So that's a soldering iron and a mini lathe thingy so far.  I'm sure I can find something else to entice you with if I try hard enough

I just pointed @CedB at one of these;

http://modelskills.co.uk/tools/45-the-strutter.html

As this Dornier thing appears to be festooned with struts, it might come in useful. And as Tony has invested in a soldering station, then if any of them need joining together....:D

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, since his Baronship now has a soldering iron, he probably needs to invest in a set of these (<- note this is the US site).  The different tips do come in handy for various jobs.

... or he could go the full hog and get one of these (a steal at less than $200!)

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

He went and made a top-drawer vac forming machine - which took took the Dental Vac off the list........;)

That is very true and a darned fine job he made of it too!

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm sure I can find something else to entice you with if I try hard enough

Please don't buy a Bugatti hendie. I can't follow you there....:lol:

16 hours ago, Fritag said:

But I've been thinking that I might wander along to Maplin and invest in some of this soldering type stuff.

Just think what you could do with it Steve!;)

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

then if any of them need joining together...

...then Ced and myself can go into business as 'Strut and Flux Associates'. You'll want a percentage as business-consultant on the enterprise I'm guessing Keith? :whistle::lol:

11 hours ago, hendie said:

There has, I must confess, been some mental salivation occasioned by that link hendie. I know, just know that setting foot in such territory is not that far off in my vulnerable condition. Thankfully in the above case they only deliver in the US as I'm cruelly in a state of financial lockdown due to secondary school fees (which are deceitfully referred to as 'voluntary parental contribution' in this neck of the woods, close brackets, curtail the angst....

There is an Ultimaker rig at work which requires some surreptitious investigation in the mean time.

I might just be able to smuggle a set of those new tips for the iron through under the radar in time-honoured BM-fashion however.

Now.

September 2nd.

It begins.

I've a two-part post to start with then - firstly some declarative stuff about the preparation I did on the kit before the kick-off, followed later this evening whatever I manage to get done today.

Eyes and Nose

The weakest element of this kit (in contemporary terms) is imho the milk-bottle quality of the moulded transparencies. Not sure so far how I'll handle refining the portholes along the fuslage, but this:

36582322372_e6d49c9cd7_c.jpg

could armour the Presidential limousine.

Being utterly in the throes of Milliput addiction at present, the simplest route was just to knead-up some Welsh wonderpaste to take a mould:

36705153236_3779464e27_c.jpg

The black disc it's sitting on is a can of silicone bike lubricant that I thought I'd test as a release agent:

36582323632_fac9971290_z.jpg

Not what you might call an unbridled success as a release-agent, if you're going to be pedantic about the matter:

36705156296_48a55f62eb_c.jpg

However it doesn't matter that much as an experiment because that needed a further overlay of Milliput just bring it up close to the outer-dimensions of the canopy so that the final moulded vacform with mate properly with the fuselage. Note also that I managed to snap the kit canopy whilst prising it off - unsurprising brittle at this stage given the near four-decade vintage of the material.

Having built that up to the required size and applied a little Squadron Green to smooth any remaining flaws (I learnt my lesson with PPP flaking off under heat in my previous vacform adventure), this was ready for the kitchen.

(Not for the first time my finger moving over the trackpad has prematurely posted so if you see this I'm still writing...)

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

...then Ced and myself can go into business as 'Strut and Flux Associates'. You'll want a percentage as business-consultant on the enterprise I'm guessing Keith? :whistle::lol:

35% will do nicely, thank you Tony!

Waiting anxiously to see what your premature finger cut off....!! :D

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 3