Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

i.e. your 1/72 crew can really use it to speak to each other 

Alternatively, if you press your ear to it you can hear the sea....:lol:

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That aerial just has to go on the model!

Despite the fact that I've no evidence whatsoever that the aircraft I'm making had this gear rigged at any point in its operational life (or indeed, if this particular night flying system was widely used in service at all), I believe I'm going to have to do it Martian!

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

hope that you still will dare to shake my hand and have a drink in Telford

Be delighted to shake your hand Cc since the explanation was so reassuring!:lol:

A pal of mine was on holiday in Vietnam a few years back and the hotel they were staying in offered guests the chance to fire AK47s (on a firing range) as part of general hospitality. I presume you were less likely to complain about room service after that...

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Your Dornier will be pristine, what a detailling,

The more I do in it the more I'm enjoying the almost Gothic nature of the aircraft, as if Cologne Cathedral had been given wings...

18 hours ago, jrlx said:

it's a good obsession and we onlookers rather like it

:D

17 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Are you sure you're not using this Dornier carcass as the basis for making a Farley Fruitbat??

Ein Fruchtfledermaus!;)

2 hours ago, AlexN said:

I've caught up now, you will be sad to hear

Fear nought - more to follow Alex.:D

Lest there be any doubt that I am anything except an execrable linguist, behold the true horror of my translation process

(look away Benedikt! :lol:)

Being primarily a visual rather than textual person (good with maps, but can't give verbal directions to save my life), I start by sketching out the structure I'm interested in - to try and work out how it goes together - and then approach the original German textto work out the relevant keywords that describe what's going on, in what I flatteringly refer to as 'a translation'. Here;s the working out for the sliding seat, which I think I've now cracked:

36249918494_9e52b1838f_c.jpg

I'll go through this in greater detail when I get to building this part, but you get the flavour from that I hope.

One thing that did seem clear from that little session is that there is no floor in a narrow central 'aisle' of the flight-deck, in order to accommadate i) the legs of the person sitting in the sliding seat, and ii) the trim wheel mountedon the side of the pilot's seat. More on that when we build it but for now, I've excised the relevant portion as shown in the plans:

36271726723_9096a97a5f_c.jpg

You can see the kommandantensitz indicated in the plan there but as it was only present on the civilian version of the 'D' and for instrument training on the military variant (not operations), it's the square behind and to one side of it (indicated by the pencil mark) that I'll need to make later on for the sliding seat.

Prior to this however, I wanted to finish off the pilot's seat and so began by soldering up a chassis from some scraps of piano wire:

36249916014_f117f3b6e3_c.jpg

Not mega-accurate but it will be totally concealed when installed so it just needs to be strong. Marking out the required holes in the flight-deck floor was a simple case of blobbing some red paint on the legs and pressing the frame onto the plan at the correct location:

36271722843_3a6a006216_c.jpg

The drilling and testing for fit:

36249917104_ffc4d2f926_c.jpg

With the chair attached to the chassis, but the chassis not glued-in yet so the whole sub-assembly can be removed for further detailing:

36249917644_4ac3423295_c.jpg

I've bunged it into the fuselage again temporarily in order to make sure that the back of the chair ends at the right height in relation to the ceiling - which thankfully it does.

36271724013_4ab3edc007_c.jpg

There's some kind of perforated truss that reached from the back of the chair chassis to the ceiling, so I popped this in after drilling out some scrap strip. (@Fritag - those new drill-bits were excellent for this...):

36271725143_42b3615c56_c.jpg

There you are. I've still to build leather upholstery for that of course but that can wait until I have all the required seating built and then we can knock that job out in a single sesh.

I had a few hours free today but expect tomorrow to be busy at work so mightn't have much to say until the weekend.

Hope your own builds are giving you pleasure, I'm really enjoying looking around the variety of aircraft and building styles in this GB!

:bye:

Tony

39 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Thought the sketch at bottom right was the crew's loo again....!!

There is an unhealthy fascination with aeronautical bowel motions in this forum if you ask me Keith.

:huh:

Actually, there is a toilet on the plan, way up the back behind rib 17. 

No.

I won't be building it.:lol:

• Like 12

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

(@Fritag - those new drill-bits were excellent for this...):

Funnily enough there is a set in the post on route to me............

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

There you are. I've still to build leather upholstery for that of course .........

Do you know I'm inclined to take that literally........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thought the sketch at bottom right was the crew's loo again....!!

Keith

Do we know if the aircraft was actually fitted with a loo or did the crew have to make do with fresh air openings fore and aft with an infinite capacity gutter installation below? If it helps, I did find out what Wehrmacht bog roll looked like for you. This is a bout life size so reduce by 72 and you are good to go (pun intended).

_91025835_toiletpaper.jpg

And further research indicates that someone from IPMS Deutschland is ahead of the game!

Red_Zebra_chem_toilet_02.jpg

Martian the Ever Helpful

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

See the bottom (sorry) of Herr Baron's post #101

K

Spoil sport isn't he? Mind you now he has all the correct reference material.................................

Martian the Mischievous

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Again, did not look away from your translation as they where correct by now (except sometimes, mostly due to a/ä, o/ö; u/ü. a,e,i,o,u are the german vocals and  these three are irregular in plural .  And all nouns are capitalized here as some other things, but a very great start to learn it. Good job.). Cheers Benedikt

Edit: eine Fruchtfledermaus, but this means:  ein or eine (indefinete article; /f), which depends on (the gender) of the definite articles "der, die, das" (m/f/n) of the nouns. ("the" in english),  but you cannot really explain that to anyone. It's like with in/at/on or mostly/ mainly etc. for german people or other ones.

So forget my edit. It will only confuse you. So it's crap, after you see how often  I edited this one to try to explain  my mother language, which I normally speak and write fluently

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rob85 said:

Christ man your five pages deep already! 

Some lovely work work going into this, good luck not getting carried away do it comes in on time 😃

Wotcha Rob, thanks for that and welcome along amigo.:thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Fritag said:

Funnily enough there is a set in the post on route to me............

Top man!

23 hours ago, Fritag said:

Do you know I'm inclined to take that literally........

:hmmm:Now where can I find a very small cow...

22 hours ago, pheonix said:

Here's a suggestion concerning all of that lovely detail which is going to be covered up. Why not present a cut-away model?

You raise an interesting point Phoenix.:nodding: I wonder how that would look at 1/72?

I guess such a decision means deciding whether the internals represent the feature of this build, as opposed to maintaining the essential character of the aircraft itself as a coherent entity - there are compelling arguments in either direction. :hmmm:

My response to that suggestion at this stage is a genuine 'let me think about it' - it's the sort of decision that needs to percolate amongst the neurons for a few days, and of course, if anyone else has opinions (on BM, what's the chances?^_^)....

20 hours ago, Greg in OK said:

Looking forward to this one, your have got a great start!

My thanks for that Greg!:thumbsup2:

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I did find out what Wehrmacht bog roll looked like for you.

You know your audience...:doh:

'Klosettpapier': sounds so much more refained than 'Luftwaffe bog roll' donchaknow.:lol: 

Actually, thanks for that Martian. We'll see what we can do.;)

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm now tempted to add a fire extinguisher to one of my walls.

You'll need it for all that flame work you mentioned....

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

See the bottom (sorry) of Herr Baron's post #101

The beginning of a sentence that you fear may have ended oh-so differently...:lol:

17 hours ago, jrlx said:

Well done!

Thanks Jaime. Today won't be so productive unfortunately but the weekend beckons! 

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Tony , what do you think about Germans look like using their toilets?

Believe it or not Benedikt, you are the first person who has ever asked me that question and I must confess I'm at a loss to know how to answer you... :rofl2:

That graphic made me giggle!

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Mind you now he has all the correct reference material

The borderline between altruism and peer pressure...so nebulous.:rofl2:

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

So forget my edit. It will only confuse you. So it's crap, after you see how often  I edited this one to try to explain  my mother language, which I normally speak and write fluently

Your English far outstrips my German Benedikt. Can you imagine the havoc I'd cause posting on Deutschemodeller? There'd be an international incident for sure...

Thanks for your responses all. I've just replied over lunchbreak as I'm in meetings at work until late today and will probably not therefore be in a state of mind commensurate with fiddling with small parts.

More over the weekend.

Good luck to you all!

Tony

• Like 10

It's been 24 hrs since I updated in this thread and just as well I hadn't my heart set on getting any bench time in last night - about 8pm last evening we had to call the fire brigade out to the house due to a roaring chimney fire. Nothing like a storm of flashing blue lights in the driveway to get the neighbour's curtains twitching. Thankfully our eldest is an alert lad as I was upstairs at the time and it was he who noticed the sound and glow of molten slag from the edge of the inspection hatch in the chimney breast. Cosmetic damage to the plasterwork on both sides of the dividing wall between kitchen and living room and I have to completely rebuild the inspection bit with fire cement, but the main thing is that the flue-work wasn't cracked by the conflagration. The brigade were a great bunch of lads and make you realize that we continually pay the wrong people in society too much money whilst disregarding those who keep us safe.

It shouldn't have happened - we get the chimneys professionally cleaned twice a year and the stove was dampened right down at the time - but there you go. At least our youngest got to carry a fireman's helmet back to their wagon for him, so a chuffed lad went to bed...

As a calming exercise this morning then I decided to wade in to some more detail-work on the sliding seat that I post a sketch of a couple of updates back. This thing slides out from the starboard side of the flight-deck into a central position behind the pilot, in which the connecting door to the radio room behind serves as a temporary seat-back, with an attached headrest. According to the handbook, this is the station for the flight-engineer during that take-off and landing phases of the mission. 

Having acquired a new soldering station recently, one recommended by @hendie over in his inspiring Pullman thread:

...I'd been champing to get into action with it since it arrived, so for the sake of strength I used some 0.4mm brass tube (some of it squished in flahead pliers to approximate the rails the assembly slides in and out on) to solder a representative structure together:

36949978702_32fbba9732_c.jpg

It's blobbed with flux in that photo in readiness for some flakes of 145°C solder. I really find the lower temperature stuff sold by Eileen's Emporium to be a godsend for soldery at this scale. A fre brief applications of the iron-tip on the lowest heat setting and these were fused together in a single operation:

36949979002_af490d7d04_c.jpg

Erring on the side of caution I added a second bit upright along that run as you see it there; not that such an addition is shown in the plans but this is one of those instances where strength of the assembly needs to take precedence over exactitude. Here is is now CA'd to the underside of the seat base:

36978664251_839b9699af_c.jpg

Side profile:

36949976442_7f39635d37_c.jpg

Hopefully in that shot you can just make out the slot in the sliding rail at the back that the seat-base slides along: it's purely serendipitous that brass tube seems to yield such a groove when squeezed flat like that in pliers.

Mounted into position on the flight-deck bulkhead:

36949977002_294236f9b5_c.jpg

Like much on this aircraft, it is an idiosyncratic arrangement:

36978664921_1da4f989fc_c.jpg

With the addition of cushion and head-rest, that looks a decent enough expression of those parts:

36949977662_f467ee6873_c.jpg

As @Fritag suggested, I just need to find some suitable leather to upholster that with.

Finallyin this session, I built a door for the bulkhead, adding some scrap brass hinges and handle, before mounting it into place behind the seat:

36949978122_f1bc99f71c_c.jpg

There's a little more I want to add to that bulkhead as it is quite a busy area with various levers and pump handles.

I'm off to rebuild the chimney inspection hatch now....

Have a great Saturday all of you!

Tony

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

make you realize that we continually pay the wrong people in society too much money whilst disregarding those who keep us safe.

Hear hear, always infuriates me when the media talk about what footballers are 'worth'....

Anyways, some neat metalwork going on there again Tony, glad blazing chimneys haven't killed the mojo (& that the fire wasn't as bad as it could have been)

Keith

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice wire work Tony continuing in usual style.

As for the chimney fire, well thats where the curtains went LOL

Glad all is safe though Tony, My mum once sent the chimney alight when she moved into my Nan`s place, she was unable to look after herself, and was chair bound.

They had the upstairs bedroom as a living room with an open fire place in it, downstairs had a gas fire fitted from when I can remember.

Of course, the chimney had not been swept in years and the result was quite embarrassing for mum.

Luckily no one was hurt though.

Simon.

• Like 3

It's good to hear that the fire was dealt with quickly. A shame it happened at all, but it sounds like it's not as bad as it could have been :phew: 

The sliding seat assembly and door with hinges look just superb. 

You may have mentioned it earlier, but what's the little 'four circles with Phillips screws" clamp you have there?

A very useful little item :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Hello Baron, I've just stumbled upon this build and you are doing a cracking job. You mention in the beginning that you purchased a manual (?).

I have in my SEAWINGS archive an extensive set of Do-18 manuals and other reference material that might be of use to you.

If that's the case, let me know and I'll set up a DrpBox folder for you.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Hello Tony, looks great. Good job. Glad to hear, that the chimney fire did not cause major damage or someone  got injured. Oh yes the fire brigades are a mostly underestimated group of people, which you only cry for, when it becomes serious. But then more than twice in a minute. And the payment? Don't know, how this works in the U.K. ? Here there are professional firefighters ( mostly Officers) in the cities and metropolian areas and the ones who do this  in the rural regions. And these work unsalaried and only by heart beside their normal jobs. This only goes well, because everyone! respect them for that. So all in all both a very underpaid in relation to other celebrated heroes, who do not work that in any comparision to those. I could mention some or a lot. Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I too was pleased to read that the damage caused by the fire was limited - although still very upsetting I am sure. Pleased too that no-one was hurt - that could have been much worse.

The work you are doing is truly first class: again I suggest that you build a cut-away model just to show the world what remarkable skills you have.

P

• Like 1