Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

Texas Contour Saw Massacre! You're certainly getting your money's worth already :)

Nice work on the chopping and internals and very pleasing to see the good fit eh?

Can I ask why the template is 'hairy'?

Oh, and what sort of contour gauge are you using please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Tony, I may only correct your german, if it really hurts my eyes:winkgrin:.  Everything is generally correct /ok.

ein Raum/sechs Räume; ein Schott/ zwei Schotten. Cheers

:D My thanks for that Benedikt! I've always had trouble with plurals. I'm the same with beer...

5 hours ago, hendie said:

ooooohhhh lots of scratching I see.    This build is so interesting I'm almost tempted to do one too

Glad you're enjoying it.:thumbsup2: Whatever collision of factors were involved, there is something gloriously fascinating about what was happening with planes that had to float in the first half of the 20th century wasn't there?

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

I know what you mean!  Take one beautiful aeroplane; add a kit from a much loved manufacturer; mix in Tony's practically perfect posting and you have BM magic.

You boys say the nicest things.:blush:

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Some very helpful photographs regarding good use of contour saws in cramped spaces :thumbsup2: 

Righto; this canopy business. Mr. Falcon's sets are quite cheap really. I can't help but think that by the time you've used up Milliput, extra filler, sanding stuff and so on, the saving over the complete set wouldn't be much

Thanks for that TT. I take your point - Mr.Falcon's stuff is indisputably excellent, however, the grand total it's costing me to get the canopy I need for this build is zero, plus I'm cutting several windows out, which would not flatter Mr. F's craftsmanship.

Of course, your debauchery argument is unassailable!:rofl2:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Not content is re-profiling the contours Tony, you are fitting out the internals as well.

Glad I have got a chair for this one,, but must get some more nibbles in.

Keep up the excellent work mate.

Thanks Simon - when you've a kit which gives you such a fine starting point, it would be a heart of stone that didn't want to do the best for it.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Tony,

Here we are

WP_20170823_12_39_05_Pro

Once again, Congratulations, that will be another modelling lesson !

Will look closely for sure, and try jnot to disturb too much..

Were's Percy ??

Brilliant CC! 

Believe it or not I used to travel past there every day in the early 80s when I worked up in Whitechapel and had to get the District Line all the way across London. Little did I know the name would come back to haunt me! :innocent:

I'm not sure where Percy's got to, but tins of sardines keep vanishing from the larder overnight....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Texas Contour Saw Massacre! You're certainly getting your money's worth already :)

Nice work on the chopping and internals and very pleasing to see the good fit eh?

Can I ask why the template is 'hairy'?

Oh, and what sort of contour gauge are you using please?

Ta Ced!

Goes without saying how grateful I am for your recommendation on those saws!

I had to think about the 'hairy template' question until the penny dropped.:drunk:I found with tracing paper templates onto plastic that there was a tendency for the pencil to slip when drawing around the outline, so using that hairy hachure approach gives a more precise outline that you can subsequently sketch in accurately. It's nicked from the old mapmaking technique for delineating gradients:

fig306.jpg

The gauge is just a cheap one of these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/125MM-5-Metal-Contour-Profile-Gauge-For-Tiling-Laminate-Skirting-Boat-Building-/202037546003?hash=item2f0a604c13:g:kP8AAOxyUrZS-PEi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm not sure where Percy's got to, but tins of sardines keep vanishing from the larder overnight....

I'll have to have a word with him about this .

It should stop after this weekend; he's off to the Reykjavik International Literary Festival tomorrow.

He wants to talk to Morten Strøksnes about some technical points in his 2015 book:

"Shark DrunkThe Art of Catching A Large Shark from a Tiny Rubber Dingy"

Obviously, due to the risk of being eaten himself, by members of the local populous, Percy is going in disguise.

He recently visited his cousin Aith in Skomer and has returned with a pronounced Welsh accent. It makes a change from when he returns from secret visits to Shetland wearing tartan.

I've learned a lot, having a puffin as a companion.

For example, most people don't realise that there is an 82% chance that a concealed puffin is staring at them, right now.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thanks Tony for the 'hairy template' explanation - great tip, I've had the slipping pencil problem in the past :)

Thanks for the link to the contour gauge too - on the shopping list!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

look how well Matchbox did at matching the actual aircraft

.. perhaps they had access to the same reference material??

However they did it, it's good news. You're setting a cracking pace & high standard here Tony - great work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tony,

Impressive precision work you've done! I also thank you for the link to the contour gauge, seems to be pretty useful.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

For example, most people don't realise that there is an 82% chance that a concealed puffin is staring at them, right now.

That is, it has to be said Tony, quite the most sinister statistic. I have my back to the wall and am furtively scanning the room whilst writing this. Can puffins identify keystrokes btw:bandit:

21 hours ago, CedB said:

on the shopping list!

I don't doubt it! ;)

20 hours ago, greggles.w said:

.. perhaps they had access to the same reference material??

However they did it, it's good news. You're setting a cracking pace & high standard here Tony - great work!

Thanks greggles. :thumbsup2: At least my German is improving - if only in the most idiosyncratic of directions....

18 hours ago, jrlx said:

I also thank you for the link to the contour gauge, seems to be pretty useful.

No problem Jaime. Like all gauges of this particular kind it gives a kind of 'pixellated' effect to curves, due to the size of the rods of which it is composed. I haven't found this to be any kind of barrier to achieving accuracy however.

I have a chair for you this evening. It's no more exciting than that I'm afraid.

In terms of keeping the cockpit detail all to scale it made sense to start with the pilot's seat (being scale human-sized) and then use this as a benchmark against further detailing to avoid scale creep.

The kits seats are a bit 1980s British Rail tea room. In fact I seem to have sat on a good number of these in an earlier life, in exotic places like Crewe and  Clapham Junction:

36218815533_dcf7524dac_c.jpg

Next to to it is the initial outline of my version, scribed in three places to enable folding correctly in order to match the profile of the real thing:

36885793771_c9d5c2a118_c.jpg

In the end I had to snap the bit your bum goes on and re-glue it at a more acute but correct angle. Not an issue as it is reinforced by armrests and other edging:

36218816283_c1db5d579c_c.jpg

The card I used for the edging is a little on the thick side for a reason: 

36885794231_20ed37e02c_c.jpg

For jobs like this I find it easier to build slightly over-thickness and then file down controllably to the correct scale profile, rather than trying to balance wafer thin bits of plastic on edge whilst gluing. I tend to swear less this way:

36885793001_2b2abcbcb9_c.jpg

Filling-down now done, padding still to make for that later and something in the bondage line for restraints, but that's a decent enough expression of the actual seat now.

I forgot to post last evening, just to show where the thick moulding had been cut out of the rear aperture for the gunner:

36629689430_4ee78e5dc6_c.jpg

For both front and rear MG15s there is some complex tubular mounting to be built, as well as an odd cog-like radius around the aperture (which is related to some kind of drive mechanism?):

Do18_D_MG_dorsal_positionf-s.jpg

It looks so much like the gunner is standing inside of a symbolic clock-like mechanism that I have to assume Kraftwerk did a track about this at some stage.

'He's a gunner and he's looking good.

He'd like to shoot you down that's understood....'

I also unearthed some more visual references:

Flying+boat.jpg

Keep 'em peeled.

Shaw_Taylor,_Police_5_(LWT).jpg

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

A splendid update Tony.

The seat is superb; from British rail to Bauhaus in one fell swoop.

Well, a few incisions a bit of glue and some fettling, but I'm sure that you would have swooped and done some felling if you could :thumbsup2: 

Bauhaus seat, Kraftwerk, precision mechanisms, German plurals; there's a distinctly Germanic feel to this build Tony, I'm trying to figure out why :hmmm: ?

Great scratch building, looking forward to the next instalment :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A splendid update Tony.

I concur!     Small but perfectly formed.

The seat is looking very interesting - how come you get all these exciting builds and I get stuck with the sisyphean purgatory that I'm currently struggling with ?

The MIG holes are slightly suggestive of early steampunk attempts (needs a few more valves and gauges though!) - will you be butchering any time pieces in the strive for detail?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

For jobs like this I find it easier to build slightly over-thickness and then file down controllably to the correct scale profile, rather than trying to balance wafer thin bits of plastic on edge whilst gluing. I tend to swear less this way:

That's good thinking, wonder why it never dawned on me (maybe cos I don't think good very often!!)

That MG mount reminds me of a Scarf ring like;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7209

or these Russian(?) ones;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7201

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7202

Keith

PS, :dinosaur: says hello & that he's enjoying this flying floaty thing taking shape too!

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's good thinking, wonder why it never dawned on me (maybe cos I don't think good very often!!)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7209

or these Russian(?) ones;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7201

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7202

Keith

PS, :dinosaur: says hello & that he's enjoying this flying floaty thing taking shape too!

Keith's on to something here Tony. These 'Mini-World' cast bronze and photo etch machine gun sets are Gorgeous Things™.

They do the gun you need, with the type of spent case receiver shown in your photograph:

IMG_5877.jpg

I got the photograph from here;

http://henk.fox3000.com/miniworld.htm

Lots of web type places sell them. Eduard do a 'Brassin' pair in 1/72, but to be honest, I don't think they look as good as the Mini-World ones.

Here's the Wikipedia on your MG15:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_15

"Ammunition was fed by a spring forced spiral double-drum containing 75 rounds total (not 150 as is often mistakenly claimed). This combined with a firing rate of 1000+ rpm means it could empty the magazine in 4.5 seconds or less. "

:mg:

:door: 

I can't find an aftermarket 1/72 ring piece for the MG 15.

I've never had to look for a scale ring piece before :hmmm: 

HTH

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Nice seat Tony (ahem).

Are you really going to try to model that cog thingey? Do you have a cog tool?

Those MiniWorld guns look nice eh? What's your budget for this build?? :wicked:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've never had to look for a scale ring piece before :hmmm: 

:rofl2:

I've got a few of the Mini World Lewis & Vickers guns & they really are beautiful - almost too nice to stick on a model & cover in paint!

I was sort of wondering if one of those 'serrated' rings could be adapted for the Dornier. I have a Scarf ring too Tony so if you want me to measure it to see if it would be any use let me know. 

K

• Like 4

I have not droped in for a couple of days and another modeller has already made huge strides! Excellent scratch building/conversion work going on here, I really am very impressed indeed by you attention to the minutest detail . I am also taking careful notes of some of your techniques which I may find useful in future.

This is going to be a very impressive model indeed when finished: looking forward to more updates.

P

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

He'd like to shoot you down that's understood....'

I also unearthed some more visual references:

Flying+boat.jpg

Tony

Well, what happened next??? :wonder::D 

Looking good Tony, I'll be popping in from time to time, I've long fancied one of these, without the extra work though. ;)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
get it right!
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

looking forward to the next instalment

Thanks Tony.:thumbsup2: I want to get stuck in to working out the overall internal layouts later and decide what I'm doing about the various bulkeads and ribs. 

16 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

there's a distinctly Germanic feel to this build Tony, I'm trying to figure out why

You need to get yourself a job writing a newspaper column Tony - your mind is far too active! :lol: There is so much in German art and philosophy that I admire, however I'm less sure about David Hasselhoff having been so popular there as a singer post-Baywatch...

16 hours ago, hendie said:

The seat is looking very interesting - how come you get all these exciting builds

The guards encourage me to, so that I won't provoke any more trouble.

16 hours ago, hendie said:

The MIG holes are slightly suggestive of early steampunk attempts (needs a few more valves and gauges though!) - will you be butchering any time pieces in the strive for detail?

:lol: Well, that old Patek Philippe has seen better days...

TBH though, those crenellated radii are a bit of a poser structurally. I want to keep pushing my building/salvaging skills further rather than buying AM stuff so am letting this problem float around the brain for a few days in order to see what it collides with.

On a not unrelated note, that Ayoue soldering iron you recommended was waiting when I got home last evening. I had a quick little tinker/test with it before bedtime and most pleased. Nice one!

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

They do seem to operate on a common dial-like principle don't they Keith? Thanks for those links btw!:thumbsup2:

There's a .pdf floating around the web for the gun fittings on the 'G' variant. It's in my files somewhere but not unfortunately much use in this instance. 

15 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great scratch building lesson, Tony :clap2:

Cheers Jaime.

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice scratching on the seat Tony.

It looks a lot better than the kit`s.

Bondage mentioned? We wonder what else goes on at Baron Towers ?

Thanks for that Simon.

What goes on at Baron Towers stays at Baron Towers....:evil_laugh:

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice bum rest El Baron. :worthy:

No-one's ever said that to me before. Welling up!:weep::thumbsup:

14 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

These 'Mini-World' cast bronze and photo etch machine gun sets are Gorgeous Things™.

Great image TT! I've had the Mini-World' stuff bookmarked for several months and occasionally go back to goggle at the sheer quality of the things; it astonishes me every time when you remember the almost molecular scale that the detailing is produced at. Like a weaponized version of Renaissance silversmithing...

That said, I've already got the CMK resin sets for the MG 15s on order and they should be here soon: Udo was kind enough to include the field manual for the MG 15 in the documentation for the aircraft, so I've no excuse for not getting the features on the firepower correct doled-up for the scale.:banghead:

13 hours ago, CedB said:

What's your budget for this build??

:chair: You're a terrible man! 

In fact there are several terrible men in this thread attempting to bankrupt me I see!

Budget = 0 from now-on I'm afraid.

:lol:

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I have a Scarf ring too Tony so if you want me to measure it to see if it would be any use let me know

That's most kind Keith. Just out of curiosity, the openings on the kit are 12mm in diameter - how does that match what you have?

(Nice to see little T back and roaring btw!)

13 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Must get myself one of those gauges...looks like an essential bit of kit.

Welcome along Dermo!:thumbsup2:

Those gauges are a dead handy investment when it comes to interiors...

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello, great seat (Führersitz, not Adolf's) or more common called Pilotensitz or Flugzeugführersitz  in the 40-68th period here.

Appreciate that distinction Benedikt - thank-you. :thumbsup2: 

I'm conscious that even apparently neutral technical terminology can have historical and emotional resonances, so maybe I'll stick to pilotensitz for that particular feature.

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

This is going to be a very impressive model indeed when finished: looking forward to more updates.

You're very kind for saying so phoenix - I appreciate that.:thumbsup2:

Looking forwards to seeing your own Dornier unfurl it's wings!

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Well, what happened next???

Steve: I think Martin overshot his approach and his aircraft ended up mating with the Dornier like two randy pigeons. 

Just guessing, as I've no idea what comic that frame comes from.

Welcome aboard btw!

Right.

That's me lunch hour gone - catch you tonight when I hope to have a little more progress and ruminations to add.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

however I'm less sure about David Hasselhoff having been so popular there as a singer post-Baywatch...

This is mostly because David Hasselhoff claimed the fall of the Berlin wall as his sucess with "I've been looking for freedom".  So he sung down the wall:surprised::whistle: That must be thought in a very drunken hour and sounds so silly that everybody loves him now for that:rofl:.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

TBH though, those crenellated radii are a bit of a poser structurally. I want to keep pushing my building/salvaging skills further rather than buying AM stuff so am letting this problem float around the brain for a few days in order to see what it collides with.

Excellent - I'm with you on that thought process.

You already have the mini-lathe so you're at least 50% of the way there.... think indexing

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That's most kind Keith. Just out of curiosity, the openings on the kit are 12mm in diameter - how does that match what you have?

No trouble at all Tony. I have this one;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINA7208

The external diameter of the serrated ring is 11.80mm, 8.95 inside diameter. Close enough for Government work?!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1