Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

On 11.12.2017 at 1:59 PM, TheBaron said:

These were semi-regular and periodic about 100 yds down the lane from the house. I  might have to send that in to the back page of New Scientist as it beats me.

Looks like traces of  ice from cables and branches, which broke and fallen ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bbudde said:

Maybe they were something of  a "Windleitblech" or a smoke deflector? Don't know, but could make sense for the square ones behind the cabin underneath the props.  I do believe that Cheers

Or maybe the edges of a non-slip walkway.....

Ian

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 8:30 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Thanks for the accolade Tony, but blimey mate, them 1/444 scale fossil picks...

I nicked your idea for brass strutwork earlier I'm afraid as well Tomo.

Regular magpie at the moment...:banghead:

On 12/12/2017 at 8:43 PM, bbudde said:

Thanks and keep in mind the one is 8 years older than me.

It's one of the oddities of age when you start to feel yourself within the flow of history. I've even secreted a few of my children's Captain Scarlet diecast verhicles so that one day in the future digging through my stuff they'll make a pleasant discovery...

On 12/12/2017 at 10:22 PM, giemme said:

Time for some paint? :whistle::D

Oooh!! Somebody's keen!:lol:

I had the airbrush out last evening Giorgio in order to give the undersides what I refer to as a 'unity' pass. I like to leave paintwork in a slightly unfinished fashion for a few days and come back to it later with a bit of perspective. What I've done here is to finish off with longer and more diffuse strokes in the direction of the airflow over the surface:

27274110689_cb30b710bd_c.jpg

Once treated with some (restrained) panel lining later that tonal variation should work.

Interestingly, since shooting photos with a stronger LED lightsource I'm noticing a slightly stronger contrast in the photos than what the naked eye sees above - I wonder is the stronger light bouncing being reflected from some of the darker layers under those lighter topcoats, in the same manner light interacts with layers in human skin?

On 12/12/2017 at 10:42 PM, The Spadgent said:

it’s like a detailbananza

I like that Johnny. I like that a lot. That's going into my modelling lexicon along with Ced's gunthingies!:thumbsup:

On 12/12/2017 at 10:42 PM, The Spadgent said:

I wish I knew what a cleat was

See that metal fitting that Richard Dreyfuss has the rope looped around in a bid to lose his fingers....

jaws-dreyfuss_custom-2f1d443a474bb8ca698

;)

On 12/12/2017 at 11:18 PM, jrlx said:

I've just read 411 pages of it (there are about 850 pages of text plus several more of references and index)

Can't wait for it to arrive Jaime! I'm just dying for a 'big book' to become submerged in over the Christmas break and this one would be perfect....

On 12/13/2017 at 1:14 AM, limeypilot said:

Does the rope get added too?

Ev-ery time.

There's always one that has to go over the score.:lalala::lol:

Err..just out of curiousity Ian -  how do you make 1/72 rope look convincing?

I'm just asking, as I have this friend who might need to know....

On 12/13/2017 at 2:56 AM, Thom216 said:

Some really fiiine work being done on this old match!

Mighty fine of you to say so Thom. Thank-you sir! 

23 hours ago, blg63 said:

You have a "beau bow"  now (french joke).

:lol: Merci Bernard!

23 hours ago, blg63 said:

I realize that I have forgotten them on my Do 18 and that they are very visible.

I rmust slide over to your forum for a look at how yours bird is coming along as well! Hope it's going ok?:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, CedB said:

It's not very often I say this during the week but 'very nice cleats'.

That raises several questions about your involvement with cleats at the weekend of course...;)

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Don't know, but could make sense for the square ones behind the cabin underneath the props.

Quite possibly Benedikt - the only other reason I could come up with was to keep water from sloshing down the centreline where crew might walk and stop them slipping off, but that's pure guesswork.

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Just joining you in a moment's silent contemplation....

:D

6 hours ago, JWM said:

Looks like traces of  ice from cables and branches, which broke and fallen ...

Spoken with the elegance and insight of a trained physicist Jerzy. :worthy:

That makes perfect sense!

38 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Or maybe the edges of a non-slip walkway.....

I hadn't seen your response when typing above Ian. :thumbsup2:

That does sound like a runner as a potential safety feature, given the number of shots that show crew standing on various regions of the upperworks. I don't see any clear evidence of a different material surface in those areas but it might make sense that the raised linear features provided some kind of safety barrier to stop feet from slipping over the curve of the hull. Again, just guesswork on my part...

The wing went on today!:frantic::work::cyclops:

But first this:

27274113689_174f93ef2f_c.jpg

The bipod that supports the wing at the rear of the gondola.

The kit part to my eye looks a little chunky in cross-section and as simply thinning it down would reduce the supporting strength of this feature, I elected to reproduce it more to scale out of brass using a technique 'liberated' from the compendium of lore on display in Tomoshenko's Fury mentioned previously.

Taking that 1mm brass tube, I squashed it to the required (slightly oblate) form around some 0.4mm brass rod in a vice:

27274115539_795b833711_c.jpg

These parts were then soldered at the correct angle with another piece of brass rod sandwiched between them to act as the locating pin for the wing:

24189737467_ccfab37eed_c.jpg

Test fitted:

38169468555_c8a702ff10_c.jpg

A lot better than the plastic and should give a good strong support for that horizontal acre of wing to go on. This fitting revealed the bipod to be a little tall, so I drilled out the mounting points in the fuselage a little more with a 6mm bit in order to sink them a little lower. Where that apex fits into the underside of the wing there's a hemispherical kind of fairing that I'll add later from Milliput.

Say goodbye to that central interior because it's the last time you'll see it:

24189738077_d63264ff4c_c.jpg

Et voilà:

27274108069_343a59379d_c.jpg

As with joining the fuselage halves together, gluing the gondola to the fuselage and bipod I relided upon 24hr Araldite again, for three main reasons:

1. Lets you fettle respective parts into place without being panicked by rapidly-setting glue.

2. Simultaneously acts as an excellent filler along the seam lines.

3. Strength of bond between large awkward pieces.

Just my preferences of course...

Actually beginning to look like an aircraft after how long?:

27274106179_9ef8cc0fcc_c.jpg

That new bipod should give a good bracing now against the weight of the wing:

27274101909_baed27e3cf_c.jpg

24189738677_db99dfffe6_c.jpg

I hadn't forgotten to put the crew ladder that I'd built inside as originally intended, I'll leave it in the gondola doorway as if it's being used by the maintenance crew:

24189739807_b4e67d2497_c.jpg

She can sit there under the tape now for 24hrs before we have a look at the underwing struts...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Err..just out of curiousity Ian -  how do you make 1/72 rope look convincing?

I'm just asking, as I have this friend who might need to know....

Cotton or wool thread comes to mind, like these:

Risultati immagini per cotton thread

Maybe? :2c: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

:lol: Merci Bernard!

I rmust slide over to your forum for a look at how yours bird is coming along as well! Hope it's going ok?:thumbsup:

Nothing has changed for 2 weeks in the  topic on my forum. I'm unable to do like you. Building, posting AND replying to all your numerous followers.

I built this Do 18  a "Matchbox contest" and the dead line is the 16th.   I will post pictures of the bird ready to fly tomorrow, just in time.

Regards

Bernard

• Like 1

The underwing tonal variations look very good, Tony! The brass support for the wing is excellent!

So, you'll paint the model with the wing on? Will you be masking the whole underside of the wing?

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Can't wait for it to arrive Jaime! I'm just dying for a 'big book' to become submerged in over the Christmas break and this one would be perfect....

I hope you like the book. I'm finding it very interesting but it's not always an easy read, for instance when discussing the philosophical views of Kant, Nietzsche and others.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

I too use cotton for rope. I haven't tried drooping it over anything or tried to replicate the weight of the rope, but I'm guessing white glue may have a role there.....

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wing is on at last! Really like those brass struts - I too have opted to use brass rod in the cabane struts on my build as I too have 1 1/2 hectares of wing which would otherwise sit on six rather thin pieces of plastic. I am just hoping that my wing will go on as easily as yours appears to have done. Super micro-detailing as usual.

This is really looking like an aeroplane now: am sitting on the edge of my seat to see the real painting start......

P

• Thanks 1

On 14.12.2017 at 3:48 PM, TheBaron said:

I've even secreted a few of my children's Captain Scarlet diecast verhicles so that one day in the future digging through my stuff they'll make a pleasant discovery...

Do this and keep them away tiill they  are  above 40, when you can get that!

• Like 1

On 14.12.2017 at 3:48 PM, TheBaron said:

Quite possibly Benedikt - the only other reason I could come up with was to keep water from sloshing down the centreline where crew might walk and stop them slipping off, but that's pure guesswork

The Antirutschbleche (what a word, but a good one :whistle:) seem to make quite sense although.

25289316_1771441259546375_46621607891334

• Like 1

Well.

I dunno where Britmodeller went today? Must have been the Mods Christmas party last night and somebody knocked an oyster into the CPU...?

A semi-industrious couple of days to report on - little and often rather than any prolonged bench time -  but looking back I'm surprised to see how much got accomplished.

Last night saw famille Baron having Friday night at the flicks. Be the last Star Wars installment we'll bother with <actually dozed through the last two> but we did discover a most excellent fish and chip shop on the way home that more than made up for the cinematic dyspepsia. You just can't beat engulfing something hot and fried on a winter's night can you? :Tasty::heart:

Christmas Eve just over a week away? Haven't written a card, baked a mince pie or laid down any sweets. Is it just a time-of-life thing that I now just seem confronted at every turn by a bunch of spivs cloaking corporate gain as 'the gift of giving'? Thank goodness neither myself nor Mrs.B come from large families and have to deal with the benign authoritarianism of happy-family 'dos'.

Bring back the Lord of Misrule, fire festivals, and an exultant contemplation of the turn of the year. Every 21st of December I read John Donne's A Nocturnal upon St. Lucy's Day as a reminder on the shortest day of the connection between light and life. You have to invent your own rituals nowadays, don't you?

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44122/a-nocturnal-upon-st-lucys-day

Ah. Excuse the self-indulgence....

Anyway. Today's correspondence:

On 12/14/2017 at 3:10 PM, giemme said:

Cotton or wool

That looks about right to me Giorgio.:thumbsup2:

On 12/14/2017 at 9:51 PM, The Spadgent said:

Jaws reference couldn’t be any more perfect.

'Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...'

Always used to hum that when I went fishing, though mercifully nothing bigger than a fat pollack ever troubled the lure....:D

On 12/14/2017 at 10:05 PM, jrlx said:

The underwing tonal variations look very good, Tony! The brass support for the wing is excellent!

Thanks Jaime. I've added some more extra tonal variation in the form of dirty fingerprints, just to be sure...:doh:

So, you'll paint the model with the wing on?

Yes.

Will you be masking the whole underside of the wing?

Yes. :lol:

The main reason being the join between gondola and fuselage needing a good clean-up to get a flush seam, and as a result I reckoned that sticking that on after paint would result in some egregious wear and tear on the paint finish. More detail on that below.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:56 PM, limeypilot said:

I haven't tried drooping it over anything or tried to replicate the weight of the rope, but I'm guessing white glue may have a role there.....

The elegant solution Ian. :thumbsup2:

On 12/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, pheonix said:

The wing is on at last! Really like those brass struts - I too have opted to use brass rod in the cabane struts on my build as I too have 1 1/2 hectares of wing which would otherwise sit on six rather thin pieces of plastic. I am just hoping that my wing will go on as easily as yours appears to have done.

Where would we be without brass Phoenix? :thumbsup2: The more I work with it the more I like it as a material - not at all as forbidding as I used to find it once upon a time. Certainly at the scales we work at it gives a strength you can't achieve with plastic. I was lucky with my wing that Matchbox made a decent job of the point at which the gondola floor mates with the fuselage, giving a good stable platform.

On 12/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, pheonix said:

This is really looking like an aeroplane now: am sitting on the edge of my seat to see the real painting start......

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

:thumbsup:

Not long now, I promise.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:30 AM, Thom216 said:

That brace looks great. Nice job.

Thanks Thom. It's one of those little jobs that just gives you a bit more confidence in the structural strength of those parts, compared to plastic.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:35 AM, bbudde said:

Oh, that marriage looks very promising, but also like a difficult paint job.

You said it Benedikt! :lol:

I'm going to have to rehearse the painting process carefully on this before adding any pigment to the airbrush,  just as you would learning a dance move - especially critical where the demarcation lines of the splinter camouflage run around all those complex contours...

One outstanding task on the snag sheet was to drill all the holes for the various antennae (not all of which te kit provides), pitot tube and rigging points. In relation to the latter I had been expecting to have to drill holes in the wings and sponsons to seat the bracing wires that form an 'X' between the underwing struts. Thankfully I have the handbucher to stop me making that errors as the bracing wires are actually shackled to the base of the struts, disappearing into the fairing at top and bottom. I'm staying with the kit struts as these clean up to look pretty close to the actual aircraft:

25225546738_e34687689e_c.jpg

I'll make the braces themselves from 0.2mm brass rod and slip them in at the end, but to make the mounting slots for them, it was first out with the scalpel to score a guide line, then incise it more deeply with (the now indispensable) contour saw:

25225547198_6442710bc9_c.jpg

I'd rather precipitously hellblau'd the undersides of the tailplane when painting the main wing, neglecting to consider that there would probably be some argy-bargy getting those fitted to the fin that would disturb the paintwork:

25225548288_938bcc61b9_c.jpg

Not least of which was the need for filler:

25225550428_d6cd82c262_c.jpg

You can't see it under the layer of PPP but on the actual aircraft the ribbed construction of the tailplane continues right up flush against the fin, whereas the kit has a flat slab-like 'sill that the tailplane glues onto. Strong, but not visually accurate. Dutifully I got out a round file and added this feature in on each side:

39091749191_8d00026376_c.jpg

Not perfect, but a sight better than the raw state.

Digging around on the shelf earlier I happened upon a blob of plasticine. Remember before I made the metal rings for the gun mounts that  - lacking resin and mould-making material - I'd made some rough sprue-gloop impressions? In all the ensuing kerfuffle I'd forgotten to even look at them again:

25225551468_e407aabf7a_c.jpg

To my surprise they actually turned-out to be Ok! :D I'll hang on to those in case I need them for a Walrus...or something.

Speaking of the gunthingies (@CedB ), there's a loop on the arm that the barrel of the MG 15 slips into: 

38384994774_c81c691ac0_b.jpg

I can't believe I managed in the past without a bending tool:

25225552018_772304985f_c.jpg

0.3mm brass rod, cut to size:

39091747351_f9ef476f2d_c.jpg

Getting these (robustly) soldered on to the gunthingy was not easy:I didn't want a mass of solder everywhere but neither did I want the join so weak that it then part would fall-off. What you see here then is a compromise between those two extreme positions:

39091748421_dcde63d02b_c.jpg

Cleaned-up and with the gun barrel test-fitted I can live with the results:

39091748701_b2aa9ef9f0_c.jpg

Ignore the big clumpy laser-cannon bit on the back of the MG 15, I just haven't cut the weapon off of the mounting block it came on yet:

39091748911_3b993a987e_c.jpg

What else?

Added the fairing around the head of the bipod - Milliput shaped with a wet paintbrush to create the necessary profile:

39091749421_e4a8c1190e_c.jpg

Jeez but the bench is getting impossible to find anything in at the moment:

38209988425_e3a5856b12_c.jpg

A final push after tea, adding the struts beneath the wings:

39061334272_eb0b2de265_c.jpg

Tacked in place with CA, then the obligatory Araldite for strength and filling properties:

38382020464_01484b0423_c.jpg

Remaining jobs on the snaglist before painting include:

1. Build the canopy (with framing and windows open)
  2. Build rudders, antennae, blind-flying aerial and pitot from brass.
  3. Build central balance weight for either side of fin/empennage.
  4. Add straps to gunthingies.
  5. Build beaching trolley.
  6. Print decals (the combined laser/inkjet paper arrived on Thurs so I hope to have a small trial to show you).

If all goes well during the week I'm expecting a hot time in old Iwatatown next weekend.

I do hope you're having a good weekend.

Tony

• Like 15

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, bbudde said:

Yep, very snowy and windy here tonight and the first time of the year, that it will stay obvously. John ( The spadgent) who's living 'round about 100 km up north on the degree of latitude to me, will also have a nice white intermezzo over the weekend (or more), I guess. So his thoughts are proven right, I think. For me some restoring of old diecast again, if my mojo strikes back for them. Otherwise music and a hot chocolate with rum and other chilling things. :chillpill::rain: Cheers.

By the way she looks great  and you will surely nail it. No doubt about that and I'm glad you like that song. For the first few seconds  I heard this one at  the first time it was clear, that it would stay there for quite a while.  I like that kind of sound and rhythm, which never bores me.

Hello Benedikt,

I spend the last week end in Westerwald, Niederwambach kreis Neuwied And there was snow, lots of snow !

My poor Starlet has did it, but SWMBO did'nt enjoy it at all !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I dunno where Britmodeller went today? 

Had you ventured onto the 'Official Britmodeller' page on Faceache Tony, you'd have found Mike explaining all...

"The server is currently down for maintenance by our Hosts (a pre-notified company-wide change they are implementing)"

Anyway showing just how thick I am, I have to say I didn't understand a word of that poem you linked to! Which makes me wonder how I got the top grade in O level (are you old enough to remember them?) English Literature. A wonderment re-inforced by my idea that this is what true poetry is;

'There are holes in the sky where the rain comes in,

But they're ever so small,

Which is why rain is thin.'

S.Milligan, Esq. 1918-2002

Anyway, back to more on topic wonderment - those gunthingies (due respect to Ced's Copyright) are indeed truly wonderful, really most excellent modelling, as is all the rest of the work you are putting into the Dornier floaty thing! Bravo....!!

Keith

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Milligan even

Bless the man and may he rest in peace, all the time taking the M off the Maker

The wonderments of the Baron's entourage exceed  all expectations

I have been having tense times with the modelling and in my automotive endeavours, suffice it to say I am not enjoying reinventing the wheel with regards to BMC brake components

I digress

Ropes, The Baron asked a question re: ropes in 72th scale

I wonder if a reprise of the techniques I used in 1/48th and 1/35th scale might help?

Cotton does indeed act as rope in many applications in the modelling sphere but has an accuracy minus drawback, in so much as it looks like droopy cotton

Rope should be thicker looking even in skinny scales, what I do is take a length of beige or fawn cotton at least twice the length needed and clamp one end in a vice ( a rather sexy looking etchy bending tool may suffice here) ;)

With the one end held tightly grip the other end in something able to keep a grip on it and rotate the cotton in the opposite direction to its twist

You will see the twist unravel visibly as you go and (at this point you can earn your degree in ropemaking) place a rod (or needle or almost anything really, you will see) at about the centre point of the 'rope' and hold it there and bring the 'loose' end back to the fixed place and hold 'em together

Let both ends retwist carefully which they will try to do as they mingle

A little practise will give you rope-alike that will tether your boat to the sea and stop it becoming an aeroplane

This isn't an aeroplane but it does have 'my rope' in 1/48 scale

Cosford_April_12th_012.jpg

Sorry for the truly awful picture but I cant lay me 'ands on a better one at the mo'

Then there's this in 54mm with varying sizes of ropes

sleighridethree.jpg

It's quite a fun pastime, be careful you don't have so much fun you forget to make models

This is probably why people knit, there is a very high satisfaction level from twisting cotton

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm staying with the kit struts as these clean up to look pretty close to the actual aircraft:

:o Why this is tantamount to herecy. Such wild remarks are seldom heard on yonder thread dear Barony. :giggle: 

In all seriousness though the “Gunthingies” tm are looking even more splendid than usual.

I totally sympathise with the bench thing, I have to take stock every few sessions and do a tidy or I’d get lost in a sea of CrAzY. “La la la, fair Spanish ladies” 

feel free to continue at at your leisure. 

Johnny.

• Haha 2

Outstanding progress, Tony :worthy::clap:

I think I'm going to have to do some soldering myself at this point of my current build - let's see if I can get anything as clean as you do :frantic:

Oh, and Bill's method for the tiny rope sounds ace, thanks for sharing @perdu

:thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just done a catch up. 

Very impressive.

I doubt there will be a launch into the bath pic in the RFI section then?

:lol: It's always a temptation with a seaplane isn't it Pete? I'm not sure that the forum is ready for such decadence...

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

'Official Britmodeller' page on Faceache

I have to remember that - ta Keith! :thumbsup2: Not being overly fond of social media I tend to forget such matters...

Which makes me wonder how I got the top grade in O level (are you old enough to remember them?) English Literature.

I do remember 'O' levels.:D 

And the fact that absolutely nothing that the school told us about them turned out to matter in the long run.

A saving grace was our English teacher, who introduced us both to John Donne...and to Spike! Bless him.

S.Milligan, Esq. 1918-2002

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

RIP Spike!

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Milligan even

Bless the man and may he rest in peace,

Amen to that brethren.

Cotton does indeed act as rope in many applications in the modelling sphere but has an accuracy minus drawback, in so much as it looks like droopy cotton

Rope should be thicker looking even in skinny scales, what I do is take a length of beige or fawn cotton at least twice the length needed and clamp one end in a vice ( a rather sexy looking etchy bending tool may suffice here)

Bill: I just love these timely interjections of expertise.:thumbsup:

Keep an eye out for some Perdu-esque textile working before this build is over!

This is probably why people knit, there is a very high satisfaction level from twisting cotton

:D

Loved the pics - the barge rope looks excellent!

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

The model now looks like a flying boat indeed

Suddenly, after many weeks of pieces - a thing! :lol:

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Why this is tantamount to herecy.

I heard you say that in the voice of Vincent Price...:devil:

7 hours ago, giemme said:

I think I'm going to have to do some soldering myself at this point of my current build

Go for it Giorgio! :jump_fire:

43 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Rope? surely there must be some sort of fishing line that will do the job?

Good point I have some quite fine PowerPro braid like this that I used to use for spinning Pete: 

picpowerpro14.jpg

Might be worth trying to unpick and Perduificate it as a test? :hmmm:

Having been shown the ropes (so-to-speak :lol:), I've filed those nuggets away for final detailing. For the moment though, needs dictate we crack on with final structural bits n' pieces. 

Something I forgot to post yesterday was the remedial work on the area where the gondola mates with the fuselage - in the case of my work there was a slightly raised profile:

25225548928_eaf814905b_c.jpg

On the actual aircraft this area is a smooth curve so this obviously couldn't stand in this condition. I'd actually forgotten that I'd scored one of those micro-chisels (that many of you have raved about on the forum) off of the lovely bunch of lads on the Modelling Tools stand at Telford. Absolutely brilliant for shaving that 'lip' flsuh in such a hard to get to confined space beneath the wing:

25225549728_db9a2622b2_c.jpg

I only bought the 3mm one and am already regretting not buying one of each that they had.

Now.

Canopy.

Yes. No putting it off any longer. Whence you saw it last it was perched thus:

24249673607_12e12cbbeb_c.jpg

As of this afternoon, it now looks like this:

38400250264_2dbfdd6bd6_c.jpg

Using a fresh scalpel I scored-out and excised both roof windows, and each of the side windows:

24249672727_2fb8c6ae14_c.jpg

Close scrutiny of photos of that region - plus the wealth of detail in the handbucher about fixtures and fittings in this region - reveal the canopy framing to be quite beefy in character. Here I've begun blocking out the main structural elements with Slater's microstrip:

38228862595_31ef2ab597_c.jpg

The various excesses will be trimmed to size when I'm satisfied everything's juxtaposed correctly (and also to stop the canopy keep falling into the cockpit at this stage!):

38400253754_feb17b716b_c.jpg

I've masked inside and out using @Nigel Heath's double-cutting method for the masks. The masks were hand-cut and subsequent painting methodology for this rather tricky region of openings is to give the interior framing a good layer of RLM02 before masking the interior off completely and gluing the canopy into place. Once the exterior paint job is done the tape can be pushed-in and retrieved with tweezers and the sliding windows added. That's the theory anyway. Let's see how that pans out in actuality...

Thanks for your support and feedback as always.

Tony

• Like 14