Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

What Keith says about the Magical Tube Company stand Tony, is not exaggerate OK

But worth the peruse if you have invested in a few punts (OK Yooroows) in real dosh

As you may have noticed I have been neglecting the site and the BuccaGannet whilst having a day or three in Sunny Kernow, with fireworks

Brilliant

As is the impeccable work you've done on that gun mounting device

The Dornerfingy is looking awesome, I doubt there will have been a better piece of Matchboxery built yet*

Super B

looking forwards to two oclock some day at the weekend too, just can't remember why  :party:

*vague memories of a little bifighter spring slowly to mind though Tomo

:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

though haven't decided yet whether to do the connecting actuators and linkages from plastic or brass

Brass!

It's about time you learned a new skill and I hear there's some training classes going on in home photo etching at a thread not far from here.  Go on, you know you want to, and after those gun mounts you wouldn't want to let down the rest of the build now would you?

I'm glad you're continuing to enjoy the various encrustations.:thumbsup2:

as are we all

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Don't know, mostly webfail, but I love these "errrrrrh, What??????" pictures. Cheers and a nice weekend.

Thanks Benedikt: likewise!:D

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

if they have much of what you need, if you place a pre-order with them (Hannants that is) for collection at the show they give you 10% off.

20 hours ago, perdu said:

What Keith says about the Magical Tube Company stand Tony, is not exaggerate OK

Keith & Bill: top tip you two - thanks! I stuck a 'collect from show' order for tubing through with the H-boys just now on the strength of that.:D

21 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Magical Tony.

Sir, I blush!:lol:

Cheers for that Tomo.

See you Saturday? :thumbsup2:

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She looks splendid together.:thumbsup: nice pics too. As always. 

Ta Johnny. I must say that you're no slouch in the pic dept. yourself man!

As you may have noticed I have been neglecting the site and the BuccaGannet whilst having a day or three in Sunny Kernow, with fireworks

Brilliant

Sounds a great idea for a pre-show chillout!

I've a great fondness for those Western part of the Isles in Autumn and Winter myself...more so oddly than Summer. Mist, storm, ocean and raw land.

looking forwards to two oclock some day at the weekend too, just can't remember why

:lol: The onset of a slavering Martian will no doubt prompt you!

18 hours ago, hendie said:

It's about time you learned a new skill and I hear there's some training classes going on in home photo etching at a thread not far from here.  Go on, you know you want to, and after those gun mounts you wouldn't want to let down the rest of the build now would you?

:rofl2:

No.

Not yet.

;)

That is to say that I am certainly taking notes from Steve's superlative alchemistry but am going to watch how you get on with your iteration of the process first hendie - just to be sure I understand it correctly.

You did say you'd bought the gear didn't you? :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yep Tony we will see you Sat at the Brum stand, although it may be at the Albion Alloys stand with a flask and sleeping bag or cryogenic suspension chamber (surprised you haven't scratch built one already out of old pinball machine bits and a 70s chest freezer ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Impressive pictures of the dry fit of fuselage and wings. The model will turn out beautifully, no doubt :clap2:

I think you do well, not to rush any major work before your trip to Telford.

Cheers

Jaime

You did say you'd bought the gear didn't you? :D

that I did yes. 

I did not say that it had all arrived however.  Still waiting on the phote-resisty stuff winging it's way across the South China Sea and other puddles though.  Then I'm off to Chicago again all next week, then it's thanksgiving, then I booked a trip to the homeland in early December.  My first visit back there in nearly 10 years.  I think I've still got a couple of thruppnies and tanners that I can try and spend somewhere.

So, the alchemy should be in the queue right after special fish supper, pie supper, black pudding, tattie scones, decent bread, irn bru, and of course, lamb saag and some chipati's from my favorite indian restaurant in Edinburgh

• Like 4

Special fish supper

Mmmmmm

Pie supper too

Mmmmmmmm

Can't be bad

Just a word regarding Telford, that mythic, mystic place near the West

I have had communications with a wench I know

Also told to be at Ze Special Place on Saturday pm

Say no mo', OK

I am bostin', waiting to see the etchery from our other experimentalists

(Whilst bearing in mind that a large proportion of the word experiMENTALists is just that) 😷😱😟😭😖😨😬😕😉😣. 😇

Now for experiments with Stylenrez on a pair of wings of my acquaintance

😨

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, perdu said:

A 'wench'....??!! Thin ice there Bill old chap, methinks a clip around the ear may be aimed in your direction by said young lady...!! :P :D

K

• Like 1

Or possibly even more deadly devices than clippy hands but this all for a purpose...

Sacrifices for my beloved hobby?

I do it willingly for all that its worth to me

If I'm here on Saturday it means I survived Friday

😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2017 at 11:47 PM, hendie said:

right after special fish supper, pie supper, black pudding, tattie scones, decent bread, irn bru, and of course, lamb saag and some chipati's from my favorite indian restaurant in Edinburgh

In a single sitting?

Respect!

:worthy:

23 hours ago, perdu said:

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thin ice there Bill old chap

Well! The weekend just got a whole lot more interesting....

Bill, Keith, Ced, and everyone else heading to Telford: have a safe trip all of you and looking forwards immensely to meeting you. 

See you there!:clap:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon world.

Having only returned from Telford this morning with the dawn there'll be no modelling done today (merely some salivating over and poking at booty obtained during the show), but what a trip!

Myself and my youngest left  the West of Ireland at 4.30am on Friday, and were keenly poised at the doors of the International Centre by 10am Saturday, to be immediately greeted by the true magnificence our dear Martian overlord trundling along past the queue to get in, supreme and yet benevolently viridian amongst his subjects - a sight that takes a long time to vacate the retina I can assure you.

As a first-time visitor to the IPMS, any pretence at maintaining a coolly-urbane demeanour evaporated within the first five minutes, beginning with Debs' fine Wellington on the BC table and not ending until 7 hours later with a final wistful parting bow of obeisance to Bill's Wasp and the Martian Sikorsky upstairs in the winner's enclosure. Worthy awards one and all and I count myself lucky to have seen such work in person.:worthy:

For the first couple of hours myself and Raph simply circulated the halls, thrusting money at various vendors between and betwixt standing in front of tables of fantastic modelling, communicating with each other largely through the medium of 'Cor!'

Then, suddenly, it was 2pm and time for the Britmodeller meet over by the Birmingham table. I must confess to having felt incredibly nervous (as I always do) at such first-time social encounters but I needn't have worried as a charming @perdu promptly seized my paw and introduced me to the assembled BM posse.  Apologies to anyone I gabbled at there but have missed mentioning here from tiredness but:

Keith, Steve, Don, Tom, Ced, Crisp, Phil, Nigel, Debs:

It was a pleasure to meet all of you, and not for the last time I hope.

Meeting @CedB was the only instance on which I've had the opportunity to say to somebody in a Doctor-Livingstone-I-presume kind of voice: 'I recognize that face from seeing it in a Spitfire cockpit...'

Bill even let me hold his Auster. What a day!

The day was not without certain elements of comedy. After getting delayed by locating my son, we weren't immediately able join the posse decanting upstairs to celebrate the winning BM entries, and so by the time we arrived at the foot of stairs a security guard told us we'd have to leave our bags in the cloakroom. After viewing the winning entries and going back to the cloakroom it was to find a gentleman of advanced years in front of me remonstrating with the woman running the place and rather tersely haranguing her for not being able to locate his black bag in a room full of identical-looking blag bags. After a minute or so of this he rubbed his chin thoughtfully and said 'Well, I thought it was black, but I think it's actually that brown one there at the front.' I swear the woman made the gesture of cocking a pistol as she turned away.:rofl2:

I should add also that when meeting Martian for the first time, the look of mild disdain on his face that I was not clad for the event in full Baronness' pantomime-dame rig has to be the only occasion in my life when another man has been genuinely disappointed that I was not dressed in women's clothing.

The drive back westwards to Ireland was a happy one as a consequence of the day and new friendships, barrelling out of Dublin towards Orion's belt sinking on the horizon with the sun chasing and eventually overtaking us.

I need to go sleep again now: I have to go in and give a three hour lecture first thing tomorrow morning and unfortunately it can't be on the topic of 'My Weekend'.

More as it develops during the week, and for those of you not home yet - Slán abhaile

:bye:

Tony

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I should add also that when meeting Martian for the first time, the look of mild disdain on his face that I was not clad for the event in full Baronness' pantomime-dame rig has to be the only occasion in my life when another man has been genuinely disappointed that I was not dressed in women's clothing.

My Dear Baron,

your non attendance in various furbelows, frocks and tiaras was noted by others, too! We did meet at the meet, I asked you how long your journey was ....  and gathered it was too long! I think your eyes glazed over when I repeated my story of the camera strap .......

It sounds as if you and your son had a cracking day, but somehow I found myself a little diappointed you did not mention the green visage, and brown tentacles gently waving in the cool breeze as Martian's hovercopter wafted him gently around the aisles .......... I think you'd have put it more poetically than I !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A real pleasure to meet you Tony.  I’m only sorry that the posse fractured so soon and that we didn’t get to sit and chat over coffee.  Next time maybe -  now that we’ve all broken the ice - ably facilitated by Bill :D

• Like 4

As Steve put it so eloquently (as usual) it was great to meet you Tony but our parting was too soon... it did get quite crowded eh?

Hopefully we can meet up again in a less frantic setting but please don't feel that you need the 'weekend attire' :D

• Like 4

I'm quite envious of your meet-up, guys :jealous:

As a matter of fact, I've investigated the feasibility of a trip over there - not for this year but for future occasions - but it seems quite complicated from anywhere around Milan :(

We'll see, meanwhile it's just good to know you had a great time :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm quite envious of your meet-up, guys :jealous:

As a matter of fact, I've investigated the feasibility of a trip over there - not for this year but for future occasions - but it seems quite complicated from anywhere around Milan :(

We'll see, meanwhile it's just good to know you had a great time :thumbsup:

Ciao 

Likewise Giemme,

I'm going to plan on going over next year myself. The last (and so far only) time was 5 years ago and I wasn't on here then. Fortunately my Father lives near the M40 motorway so I have a base with easy road access available!

Ian

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, giemme said:

- but it seems quite complicated from anywhere around Milan :(

KLM to Birmingham? Or Bristol? Happy to pick you up at the airport if you need a lift :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CedB said:

KLM to Birmingham? Or Bristol? Happy to pick you up at the airport if you need a lift :)

I managed to miss those in my search, someway ... :chair: 

I might as well take you up on this for next year, Ced :coolio: :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Let me add a few words of thanks to you all that were able to come along and puff me up with undeserved praise, but beggar it lads I enjoyed the whole thing

I was heartened that got an unannounced Whofan joining the happy throng too, chaps ( including Tony's lad) 

This morning Martian had detransformed into human disguise

Still real fun lads

I'm looking forwards even more to next year as there's a chance we've more friends coming along

Can't wait

I've a little tale to close my piece here so Tony can get some kip and some modelling later

I mentioned I won a trophy

A lovely silver (sic) salver with a Czech roundel and a Winner 2017 plaque

It came with a free pen too

I love free pens, we play at lots of crossword puzzles here in our house, but it also had a copy of one of the 4+ publishing aircraft books

I've been very dependent on their magnificent Wessex book so I know how brilliant they are

When I opened the bag to see the rest of their magnificent bounty it was gob -smacking time

They gave the the volume on.....

The Fairey Gannet

Wow

How did they know?

Any way again thank you all for making this an even more memorable 'Telford' than usual

I'm orf, I've some great reading to do.

😃

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10