Supermarine Spitfire - seaplane

10 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good progress, do you brush paint or use an airbrush?

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Coming along nicely Simon :)

Thank you gentlemen.

Jaime, I paint with a brush (that's my dinning table it's sitting on) and haven't done a very good job of it, the port wing looks okayish but the paint on the starboard wing has gone glossy. I'll give the whole thing a light sand (to remove brush-marks) and give it another coat.

• Like 3

Here's where we are:

2017-09-23_04-53-02

Probably needs another (thin) coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey and definitely needs some touching up where the masking went wrong.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 6

Hello Simon,

Very nice job ! Congrats !

So unusual, a Spitfire with floats and they tried the Mk IX too !!

Will be in the gallery soon, I must change gear and go faster on mine :guitar:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

I've been thinking... for a WIF, how about a Griffon Spit on floats? More oomph in the goey bits, more bang in the wings, and a contender for the Pacific 1946 scenario. Hmmm...

<exits stage left, thinking about unnatural associations between Airfix PR.XIXs and Matchbox Twin Otter floats...>

Looking very good there Mr Beard. We've had a bit of a plague of floaty Spits here over the last year or so, but it's nice to see another.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Simon,

Very nice job ! Congrats !

So unusual, a Spitfire with floats and they tried the Mk IX too !!

Will be in the gallery soon, I must change gear and go faster on mine :guitar:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks. I might do the MkIX later.

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Now that looks nice Simon. Odd for a Spitfire but nice nonetheless :) 

Thanks Ced.

56 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I've been thinking... for a WIF, how about a Griffon Spit on floats? More oomph in the goey bits, more bang in the wings, and a contender for the Pacific 1946 scenario. Hmmm...

<exits stage left, thinking about unnatural associations between Airfix PR.XIXs and Matchbox Twin Otter floats...>

Looking very good there Mr Beard. We've had a bit of a plague of floaty Spits here over the last year or so, but it's nice to see another.

Thanks and, surely a '46 one would be a Spiteful on floats... :wicked:

22 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks the business keep up the good work :partytime:

cheers Pat

Thanks, keep up the work (not sure if it qualifies as 'good').

• Like 3

Looking very nice Simon :thumbsup2:.

I just caught up. I think my current (medicine induced) vagueness has led to me making a mess of my 'notifications', so I've been missing a lot of progress on a few threads, including yours here :(.

Thank you for offering to send a voltage regulator if you had a spare one. I (quite badly) scratch built one in the end. I nearly finished the relevant Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb that is on a thread here from around March. Once I update it (photos now successfully on Flickr), all and sundry will be able to cringe at my fumbling with the regulator. I know to be more careful with them in the future :unsure:.

Now this Spitfire floatplane is built up, I can see the lineage with the Supermarine Schneider trophy competition aircraft. One of these in a 'what if' Schneider colour scheme would, IMHO, look rather good :)

Best regards
TonyT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Thanks and, surely a '46 one would be a Spiteful on floats... :wicked:

Hmm... the late mark Spits would be proven by then, so they'd be safe (and would Their Airships send new equipment to where it was most needed? What does history say?) The case could be made for Spitefuls on floats though... Martin-Baker MB.5s? Someone should make up an alternate history to see where it goes.

I tried a Mk.XIV on Twotter floats- looked like a wee nipper wearing his dad's sea boots. Some serious shortening required. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

Hello Rob,

Do not remember where I did saw it, BUT

The Hawker Monsoon seem to fit the bill :wicked:

Someone has done a Typhoon on floats, really brutish and easier to extinct when the Napier catch fire !! :rofl2:

Nonetheless the kit was pretty good, Will show it if I find it back.

The Wyvern on floats will be a good WiF too :guitar:

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Looking very nice Simon :thumbsup2:.

I just caught up. I think my current (medicine induced) vagueness has led to me making a mess of my 'notifications', so I've been missing a lot of progress on a few threads, including yours here :(.

Thank you for offering to send a voltage regulator if you had a spare one. I (quite badly) scratch built one in the end. I nearly finished the relevant Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb that is on a thread here from around March. Once I update it (photos now successfully on Flickr), all and sundry will be able to cringe at my fumbling with the regulator. I know to be more careful with them in the future :unsure:.

Now this Spitfire floatplane is built up, I can see the lineage with the Supermarine Schneider trophy competition aircraft. One of these in a 'what if' Schneider colour scheme would, IMHO, look rather good :)

Best regards
TonyT

Thanks Tony. 

Whatever the medicine is for, I hope it's doing its job.

I look forward to seeing your Spitfire MkV, I imagine it'll be very nice.

A Spitfire floatplane as a Schneider trophy plane... there's a splendid what-if, it's a shame this GB doesn't allow them.

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

Hmm... the late mark Spits would be proven by then, so they'd be safe (and would Their Airships send new equipment to where it was most needed? What does history say?) The case could be made for Spitefuls on floats though... Martin-Baker MB.5s? Someone should make up an alternate history to see where it goes.

I tried a Mk.XIV on Twotter floats- looked like a wee nipper wearing his dad's sea boots. Some serious shortening required. :D

A MB5 floatplane sounds like a very good idea... lots of power and no swing on take-off, thanks to the contra-prop. I think it would have retractable floats though.

51 minutes ago, Rob G said:

@Beard  Simon, would you like your thread back now?:whistle:

No, you carry on, I don't need it at the moment.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow recently, I got bored with doing a floatplane Spitfire and decided to do a couple of Spitfires elsewhere.

However, I am nearly ready to give it a gloss coat before applying the transfers.

Photographs will follow shortly.

• Like 2

There's been a distinct lack of modelling motivation over the last 2 weeks, due to a bereavement, but I have done the gloss coat and installed the canopy.

I'm going to do the transfers today but the ones Brengun supply leave a little to be desired:

2017-10-26_11-21-40

a trip to the loft, to find some replacements, will be needed.

More soon. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1