Supermarine Spitfire - seaplane

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the wings, internals and floats Simon... much more fun than housework!

Nice submarine too :D 

Thanks Ced

It's much, much more fun than housework (which still needs to be done).

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

Another one who is going to be finished almost before I have started!

Going great guns here.

P

Thanks, I've made so many AS Spitfire MkVs that I can, almost, do them with my eyes closed (Which describes my painting technique).

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, jrlx said:

Nice and quick progress, Simon. At this speed you'll soon have to think about a second entry to the GB :D

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie.

I have a Seafox, Sunderland and (a couple of) Walrus in the stash. The Sunderland is too big to display and the other two involve rigging.:worry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks Jamie.

I have a Seafox, Sunderland and (a couple of) Walrus in the stash. The Sunderland is too big to display and the other two involve rigging.:worry:

Rigging is not that bad. You can do it the simple way by:

- drill shallow holes on the surface, at the location ends of wires

- use fishing line or EZ-line of adequate gauge

- glue one end of the line to its location hole using CA

- stretch the line to the other location hole with a pair of tweezers, to determine the correct length (the line should be stretched but not excessively)

- without releasing the tweezers, cut the line just after the holding point

- stretch the line again and glue it to the other hole

If the CA is not past due, it should cure quickly.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Oooh, Walruses (Walri?) - I can't wait for the 1/72 Airfix retool, one of my favourites. No, I don't know why... :)

I'm also waiting for Airfix to retool the kit to 1/72. I already have one of the Walrus family aircraft: the Seagul V in its Valom incarnation.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Oooh, Walruses (Walri?) - I can't wait for the 1/72 Airfix retool, one of my favourites. No, I don't know why... :)

Walrus comes from Dutch, so the plural doesn't end in an 'i'.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think you'll be waiting for a while for one in 1/72nd.

13 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Rigging is not that bad. You can do it the simple way by:

- drill shallow holes on the surface, at the location ends of wires

- use fishing line or EZ-line of adequate gauge

- glue one end of the line to its location hole using CA

- stretch the line to the other location hole with a pair of tweezers, to determine the correct length (the line should be stretched but not excessively)

- without releasing the tweezers, cut the line just after the holding point

- stretch the line again and glue it to the other hole

If the CA is not past due, it should cure quickly.

I'm also waiting for Airfix to retool the kit to 1/72. I already have one of the Walrus family aircraft: the Seagul V in its Valom incarnation.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for the tip, Jamie, but if I do another kit it'll be a Spitfire MkIX floatplane. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks for the tip, Jamie, but if I do another kit it'll be a Spitfire MkIX floatplane. :D

that's fine with me, we can't have too many Spitfires, even on floats :D

• Haha 1

Spent most of today wandering around Folkestone looking at Trienial exhibits, having lunch (gnocchi with basil and butter, since you ask) and trying to locate a very, very dark Gray for my 111 squadron Spitfire MkVb nightfighter (unsuccessfully).

Anyhow, this is where I've got to:

20170904_195653

I'm experiencing a problem gluing the Brengun plastic, which is also quite brittle, together; I removed the masking tape jig this morning and one of the upper wing parts came off with it! The above photograph is after re-gluing and allowing time for it to set.

I'm away for a couple of days from tomorrow so there won't be any further progress until Wednesday evening.

Thanks for looking.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I'm experiencing a problem gluing the Brengun plastic, which is also quite brittle, together; I removed the masking tape jig this morning and one of the upper wing parts came off with it! The above photograph is after re-gluing and allowing time for it to set.

Oh Dear... Are you using regular thin glue? Does the plastic melt at all?

4 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Oh Dear... Are you using regular thin glue? Does the plastic melt at all?

I'm using Humbrol Liquid Poly and Tamiya Extra Thin but the Brengun plastic doesn't melt as easily as other manufacturer's does. I might have to resort to Araldite... :D

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Beard said:

Spent most of today wandering around Folkestone looking at Trienial exhibits, having lunch (gnocchi with basil and butter, since you ask) and trying to locate a very, very dark Gray for my 111 squadron Spitfire MkVb nightfighter (unsuccessfully).

Anyhow, this is where I've got to:

20170904_195653

I'm away for a couple of days from tomorrow so there won't be any further progress until Wednesday evening.

Thanks for looking.

Phew! What with Ced nearly finishing his S6B in three days and now you so far advanced in your build, this might give the rest of us a chance to get started!

Glad you managed to get the wing repaired - just hope that it will not show or fall apart again when you have to clean up the joints.

P

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2017 at 01:09, CedB said:

Nice start Simon - familiar bits so far! :)

Yairss - those instructions look revoltingly familiar >gurgle shudder<. I wish you much better luck with yours than I had with that :rant: Pavla, Simon  (not that you'll need it :)).

Cheers,

Alex.

On 09/05/2017 at 9:34 AM, pheonix said:

Phew! What with Ced nearly finishing his S6B in three days and now you so far advanced in your build, this might give the rest of us a chance to get started!

Glad you managed to get the wing repaired - just hope that it will not show or fall apart again when you have to clean up the joints.

P

'Build in haste, repent at leisure' is my motto.

On 09/05/2017 at 1:25 PM, AlexN said:

Yairss - those instructions look revoltingly familiar >gurgle shudder<. I wish you much better luck with yours than I had with that :rant: Pavla, Simon  (not that you'll need it :)).

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks Alex, it's going okay (so far)

I have you given up on your Seafire?

She's on her floats. I'm not entirely sure that they're in the right position.

2017-09-06_05-51-01

Once the glue has set, I'll prime them before applying the yellow (I've decided to do the prototype, in its original guise).

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Hello Simon, not completely given up on the Seafire: "not dead, just resting". So to speak. Probably. Trying to pluck up enough courage to deal with the mess that I made of F11. I see that you have very wisely left yours alomst entirely (but not quite) alone! :)

Just been looking at the Spit-on-floats above, and I can't help thinking, "why do that to such a beautiful piece of engineering and aerodynamic design?" Because they could? Because they wanted to see how much drag they could induce before the design cracked? (Actually, the Seafire really did push the design to breaking point - literally.)

But I'm enjoying your build - very satisfying.

Cheers,

the alex. :sheep: is enjoying it too - you can tell by his wiggly beak

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

Hello Simon, not completely given up on the Seafire: "not dead, just resting". So to speak. Probably. Trying to pluck up enough courage to deal with the mess that I made of F11. I see that you have very wisely left yours alomst entirely (but not quite) alone! :)

Just been looking at the Spit-on-floats above, and I can't help thinking, "why do that to such a beautiful piece of engineering and aerodynamic design?" Because they could? Because they wanted to see how much drag they could induce before the design cracked? (Actually, the Seafire really did push the design to breaking point - literally.)

But I'm enjoying your build - very satisfying.

Cheers,

the alex. :sheep: is enjoying it too - you can tell by his wiggly beak

There's not much point in going over the top detailing the interior of a Spitfire because not a lot can be seen (at least when I paint the canopy).

The seaplane was developed because there are places where airfields are scarce, but water common, and the use of an aircraft carrier is out of the question. The idea of water-based fighters carried on into the jet age...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.A%2F1?wprov=sfla1

5 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Of course you would be building a spitfire that floats!

Rob

Of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just in case anyone thinks I've forgotten about this one, I've been waiting for a dry day to undercoat the underside.

2017-09-13_04-41-41

I've since filled the gaps I spotted, given it a first coat of yellow and, spotted some more gaps to be filled.

• Like 7

On 09/14/2017 at 1:44 PM, jrlx said:

Looks good with that coat of primer!

Cheers

Jaime

On 09/14/2017 at 11:28 PM, stevej60 said:

looking good!

Thank you gentlemen.

I've been busy making land-nased Spitfires (as detailed elsewhere on BM) but I have given this one a couple of coats of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey.

2017-09-19_08-00-17

It'll get a rub-down with some Micromesh, then at least one more of each.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6