Supermarine Spitfire - seaplane

Great choice Simon :thumbsup2: 

I had to Google these; there's a good little history here:

http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2011/01/spitfire-floatplane-that-reginald.html?m=1

I tried the Amodel Bf109w twice (a 'paper plane' ;  I think as a result of my mishap first time around I may be able to offer a useful transferable tip: weights in the front inside of the floats are good for making such fighter floaty things level on display :thumbsup2: . You probably knew already, but I thought it worth a mention.

Looking forward to this :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Beard, 

Welcome to the GB! Great choice: we can't have too many Spitfires, even on floats :)

Cheers 

Jaime

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

You can never have too many Spitfires :D.

Good luck,

Alex.

Thank you Alex and Jamie, I couldn't not do a Spitfire.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great choice Simon :thumbsup2: 

I had to Google these; there's a good little history here:

http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2011/01/spitfire-floatplane-that-reginald.html?m=1

I tried the Amodel Bf109w twice (a 'paper plane' ;  I think as a result of my mishap first time around I may be able to offer a useful transferable tip: weights in the front inside of the floats are good for making such fighter floaty things level on display :thumbsup2: . You probably knew already, but I thought it worth a mention.

Looking forward to this :)

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony, I had thought about putting weight in the front of the floats, to make it sit properly, although I might buy the Brengun breaching set (here's a link) and you've saved me the trouble of posting something about the history of the floatplane Spitfires.

As promised, some sprue shots (I hope this isn't too early, I won't be cutting or painting any plastic until Saturday):

You get an AZ Spitfire VB...

20170828_160908

20170828_160914

Two canopies (with external and internal armoured windscreen) and a resin carbourettor filter.

20170828_161104

Floats (obviously)

20170828_160921

A sprue with a different propeller and tailplanes

20170828_160929

A small etched fret.

20170828_161139

Decals (I'm going to have to find replacement roundels for the upper wing)

20170828_161117

Instructions

20170828_160939

20170828_160951

According to this review, the voltage regulator is missing. I have one in the spares box

20170828_161009

It's all back in the box until Saturday. In the meantime, I'll decide which one to do.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 13

I remember a conversion article in Airfix Magazine which used the old Airfix Mk IX and Frog Shark floats. I still have a kit (with an old pair of floats pushed into the plastic bag) in the roof, together with the magazine........

Yours is a much easier route of course and will make a much better model too. Looking forward to seeing this as Spits on floats seem to be rare birds as models (I know that only one of each mark, V and IX were built so they were hardly common in reality either).

P

• Like 1

On 08/30/2017 at 9:28 AM, Grandboof said:

Will be watching this Good luck 

Martin H

Thanks Martin.

17 hours ago, pheonix said:

I remember a conversion article in Airfix Magazine which used the old Airfix Mk IX and Frog Shark floats. I still have a kit (with an old pair of floats pushed into the plastic bag) in the roof, together with the magazine........

Yours is a much easier route of course and will make a much better model too. Looking forward to seeing this as Spits on floats seem to be rare birds as models (I know that only one of each mark, V and IX were built so they were hardly common in reality either).

P

I don't know whether my effort will be 'better looking' but it will be easier. 😊

There were five Spitfire floatplanes made: a Mk1 (which never flew as a seaplane); three MkVs (which almost entered combat) and; a MkIX. Not that that makes them common.

• Like 4

Parts have been cut from the sprues!

20170902_145143

The molds are showing their age, not surprising.

I've cut the armour so it can have a headrest and that voltage regulator is going to go:

20170902_145510

I'm replacing it with a more appropriate one from the newer KP MkVb boxing.

20170902_145800

That's all for today, although I have started to glue the cockpit bits together, because I need to visit the loft as I have some airgun pellets to use as ballast in the floats to stop it being a tailsitter (I never thought I'd type to in relation to a Spitfire build).

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 7

It's Sunday and rather than do housework, I'm doing some work on the Spitfire.

According to the instructions (I have looked at them, Ced), the bulges over the wheelwells have to go:

20170903_124613

Gone:

20170903_124544

The sprue attachment points need some sanding:

20170903_124713

And there are some ejector bits to remove too:

20170902_173325

A bit of sanding will be required to get the port elevator to fit:

20170903_124642

I've painted the inside with Colourcoats Gret-green, some details picked out with Humbrol 33, dry-brushed with light grey and a wash of black poster paint.

20170903_130338

Because AZ use the same mold for the cannon-armed Mk1 & Mk2, MkVb and MkVI, there are some bits to remove from the cowling:

20170903_130358

A little chisel work and sanding later:

20170903_130421

Finally, the fuselage halves have been glued together:

20170903_130847

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

• Like 10

The airframe is together now so I've started on the bits that allow me to make a Spitfire in this group-build.

20170903_150752

The .177 pellets should mean it rests on the front of the floats.

They do! (Although I appear to have made a submarine.)

20170903_150357

Once the glue has set, I'll attach the rudder and elevators.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

It looks like you'll have this together in a jiffy Simon.

A very nice job on the interior as always, a good move with the .177 pellets in the floats :thumbsup2: .

All in all it looks like a nice kit.

'Voltage regulator'; now I know what the name of the part is that the carpet monster ate from my Tamiya kit, way back in April   :(.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Best regards

TonyT

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It looks like you'll have this together in a jiffy Simon.

A very nice job on the interior as always, a good move with the .177 pellets in the floats :thumbsup2: .

All in all it looks like a nice kit.

'Voltage regulator'; now I know what the name of the part is that the carpet monster ate from my Tamiya kit, way back in April   :(.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony,

I've made three or four of the AZ Spitfire Vb (and there are five or six still in the stash), it's not a bad kit but it's nowhere near as good as the KP MkV.

Glad I could help with the name of the part you lost to the carpet monster. I might have one in the stash, if I have, would you like it?

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2