1/72 Revell Hu-16 USCG Albatross - DONE

Cheers Jamie!

So the internals got painted up with the bulkheads just tacked in place.

38664647841_19883cdd9f_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_fuselage_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cockpit glued in place along with a 20g fishing sinker.

38664642961_11ac58905a_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_fuselage_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And all buttoned up. Some filler needed here and there but not bad for a kit that's older than me.

38664638301_1d0bba275b_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_fuselage_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good work, Dermot! Filling and sanding seams can be a real chore but all effort invested in this phase of the build pays off later.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to say this one won't get done by the closing date - the poor weather over Christmas took away my spray booth (i.e. outside) so am well behind.

Bit disappointed as I didn't miss a single GB closing date at all last year. Oh well, lesson learned. 

Will try to get more done before the closing and will keep it going over in the Aircraft WIP forum.

Thank you to jlrx, TonyTiger66 and RobG for leading a great GB and until the next time, enjoy your modelling!

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Dermot,

Sorry to know you won't be able to finish it in time. Please keep updating your thread as you keep working on the build. This is a really good looking aircraft!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Last bit on this before the curtain comes down.

Finally ready for some paint that's not white! The book by Arthur Pearcy was a bargain find at a hobby show last year, I think I paid €9 for it

25634459298_fa2186564c_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_paint_10 by  

And while the decals I have are for the scheme on the left, I'm going for the more modern scheme on the right.

25634454588_8612a2925f_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_paint_11 by

Masking underway..

24636904117_9e706c20f6_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_paint_13 by

And a first coat of International Orange laid down. One goof though - should have left a clear panel on the tail for the national insignia. Doh...:doh:

25634442868_6475b14414_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_paint_14 by

More later

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 3

Great paint finish! Well done!

Please note that the GB deadline has been extended one week till the 14th of January, at 23:59. You have some more time to finish this build :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Great to hear about the GB extension (thanks Mods) and might even get this one finished in time!

Done with the masking and painting for the deicer boots and also did the engine exhaust areas and the blue insignia line behind the cockpit. With the blue line, I think it's possibly a little narrow but happy with how it turned out for a hairy stick and some masking tape.

38646256755_cdbb1fe47b_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_paint_16 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 5

Decals underway. These are from Print Scale and really nice. sharply printed with strong colours. If anything, they're thin and don't like being moved when in place.

The Coastguard badge marking is from my spares which is why they're not as strong as the others.

38676377865_70877cd65b_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_decals by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 4

Thanks everyone, appreciate the kind words.

Just a little more done - a light panel line wash just to give it some more depth. Maybe a little dark in places but happy enough with the result and my efforts at rescribing were ok! The cockpit glass fitted really well but i forgot to paint the lower edge of it so it's a little transparent where it meets the nose.. :doh:

24741744757_db11e5fd1f_b.jpgRevell_4380_Grumman_Albatross_weathering_17

Just the landing gear and other bits to add and she'll be done in time hopefully.

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 4

18 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking good Dermot. I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while, your build might just be the inspiration to take the plunge.

Thanks!

I know I probably slagged off the kit but the shape is good for what is an old kit (late 1950's) and if you can look beyond the skinny wheels, millions of rivets and simplified details like the engines/cockpit/landing gear, I've really developed a soft spot for the old girl.

I also think it looks way better with the rivets sanded off and some panel lines rescribed but build it whatever way suits you.

I'd happily build one again, maybe in US Navy or Air Force rescue scheme. 

i wouldn't spend much time on the interior as it's hardly visible.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 2