Supermarine S6B - Eastern Express 1/72

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Great going Ced :clap: Will you make it in time before you leave? Suspence is killing us .... :ninja::analintruder:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - sorry, no, it'll be too much of a rush. :frantic:

11 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Great work. When you have finished knitting, have  ago at a Macchi MC 72. Even in 1.48 it's a nightmare.

Thanks BW :) They do look like similar designs don't they?

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks Ced - that does look a very useful pointy thing actually!

Lovely looking Supermarine appears to have materialised from some other dimension onto your workbench....!!

Slowing down would be a good idea, even if just so the ancients in the audience can get our breath back! :D

Keith

Thanks Keith :) There will be a short intermission! Out with the Potters Wheel.

10 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It all went so quickly I lost my balance and fell over :bristow:!

Well done Ced, the Supermarine looks Super :).

Particularly good advice on masking; duly noted.

Hope you're off somewhere nice.

Good luck with finishing off, but if you don't, it'll probably still be here when you get back.

We can look after it :thumbsup2: . Don't worry, we wouldn't play with your tools :whistle: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks TT :) Off to Brittany so looking forward to some nice food and wine. Thanks for looking after it while we're away... just watch out for the Leopards.

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Drilling with your eyeball?

E E K !

I would rather do it with a dri...

OK my coat is on the floor over there, I'll get it

Looks awesome Ced, but...

Reminds me I couldn't complete a Wessex in three months

Did I need reminding? Hardly...  :(

Thanks Bill :D Only a short break so normal service will be resumed...

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking very good. Just begin to like tht plane. :goodjob:

Thanks Benedikt - she is pretty eh? :)

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Maybe not. but I bet a certain puffin would....

Thanks Keith :) Oh no, not the Puffin...

9 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great progress, Ced! It's shaping up beautifully! I'm also very impressed with the float struts.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, very kind :)

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

So, by the time I figured out how to get to "Group Builds" and have a look around, you've only gone and (almost) finished the blasted thing! Splendid little plane.

Thanks Rob :)

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wonderful job Ced, 

You should offer your services to the museum where the original is kept you could have it restored for them in a weekend  :goodjob:

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat :) Might take me a bit longer... I'd have to shop for full sized tools first!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Have a nice break Ced. 

They have nice Cider in Brittany. Not sure if you like it, but a bit of a home from home.

Good seafood too 🐳  :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Thanks 1

Can I just take a moment to bemoan the lack of good Sneider Trophy aeroplanes...... present company excepted of course.

But really, a plane this size must deserve a scale of 1/48 at least.

I tried the airfix model years ago and gave up ( so extra hats off to you)

The only one I've found in 1/48 was the Testor Curtiss Racer.

But most especially, the fabulous little Supermarine S5 with the Napier Lion engine -  surely the absolute prettiest plane in the World EVER!! Bar none 

Edited by rob Lyttle
s5 and predicted bl***y text
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Can I just take a moment to bemoan the lack of good Sneider Trophy aeroplanes...... present company excepted of course.

This may interest you Rob...

Read through the replies to see others may be in the offering soon too. Hurrah!:pilot:

• Like 2

On 04/09/2017 at 7:26 PM, CedB said:

36219305613_259a8a6b7a_z.jpg

Jolly fine job Ced :D  Have good hols ^_^  Wish I was on hols :(

BTW.  How on earth was the pilot s'posed to see where he was flying this thing?  Let alone have any downward sight line to land it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fritag said:

BTW.  How on earth was the pilot s'posed to see where he was flying this thing?  Let alone have any downward sight line to land it.....

At least the sea is wider than a runway. Usually....

Guess he just drove it down until there was a big splash...:D

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

How on earth was the pilot s'posed to see where he was flying this thing?

My guess is he looks down the slot between those cylinder banks, lines it up on the mast of whatever ship marks the turning point, sets the throttle at helter-skelter & holds on!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, greggles.w said:

My guess is he looks down the slot between those cylinder banks, lines it up on the mast of whatever ship marks the turning point, sets the throttle at helter-skelter & holds on!!

A driving style coincidentally adopted by some fellow motorists on the commute to work, presumably in tribute....

A piece of completely unconnected local logic that I encountered yesterday Ced that you might appreciate:

In one of those generic everything for a pound/euro shops yesterday. They've installed self-service stations where you scan and pay for your own goods. Courteous Polish woman staff member asks if I know how to use them OK, same as supermarket etc. No problem. Older and rather obsequious female shopper rolls up, also answers (rather testily) 'yes, yes, I know how these things work' and stands at scanner beside me doing nothing. After a minute or two, courteous Polish woman walks over and enquires if everything OK, testy old buzzard replies impatiently 'yes, but I always get the staff to scan the items for me.' CPW(nonplussed): 'But that's no different from just going to a till'. TOB:'Well really...!'

And people give off about the youth of today....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

We're back - missed you!

I've come back with a gippy tummy so just a quick catchup - hopefully back to the bench tomorrow. I think the suspicious 'panini' I had in Roscoff might have been to blame :sick:

Thanks Tony, Keith, Giorgio, Simon, TT, Benedikt, Leon, Phil, Rob, Johnny and Chris for the holiday good wishes. We caught the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry just like we used to with the girls, nice bit of nostalgia, and drove down to Quiberon for the ferry to Belle Isle. Lovely place. As usual I forgot to pack my Tilley hat and Panama:

36995661132_7e15b2569c_z.jpg

Red canopy by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... but luckily had an emergency cap in the car. I usually forget my hat until the sun starts toasting my pate. That's why I have a large collection of caps. That's my excuse anyway.

Brittany was great, as usual, nice weather (to start with), friendly people and lots of nice food to be had. There's also a micro-brewery on the Island and, of course, I had to try all three brews:

37166997925_3d71ae376b_z.jpg

Beer by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The white beer was very crisp and the natural bubbles were acceptable even to me (who usually likes my beer warm and flat, thank you).

The amber wassh nish too, very tashty. I sink ish about 5% so I'd better be careful.

The blonde ish really, like, you know, tashty innit? You're my best mate you are....

We did have one 'interesting' purchase despite Mrs B's French degree:

36352900573_dbb4b84888_z.jpg

Not milk by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Grabbing some milk in the local shop we only noticed the 'Fermente' when we opened it. Weird. Off milk, supposed to be healthy for you? Hmmm.

On the way back we stopped in a model shop I'd found by desperately searching the 'net. TEO Modelisme in Lorient. Not too far off the route, it's a nice little shop but the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk I they had on their website for €5 had been sold. Rats. I did pick up an old Academy Mk XIV so all was not lost. I also managed to resist the Revell Stranraer - just.

Home now and I'll post some purchases later in the appropriate chat thread.

On 05/09/2017 at 17:15, rob Lyttle said:

I tried the airfix model years ago and gave up ( so extra hats off to you)

The only one I've found in 1/48 was the Testor Curtiss Racer.

But most especially, the fabulous little Supermarine S5 with the Napier Lion engine -  surely the absolute prettiest plane in the World EVER!! Bar none 

Thanks Rob - they are very pretty aircraft aren't they, an amazing era.

On 05/09/2017 at 23:03, greggles.w said:

This may interest you Rob...

Read through the replies to see others may be in the offering soon too. Hurrah!:pilot:

Thanks Greggles :)

On 05/09/2017 at 23:05, Martian Hale said:

Good progress Ced! I feel anS6 will be finding it's way into the stash very soon.

Martian

Thanks Martian - you won't regret it!

On 06/09/2017 at 09:37, Fritag said:

Jolly fine job Ced :D  Have good hols ^_^  Wish I was on hols :(

Thanks Steve :) Side view only I guess! Some of the photos on the 'net show the pilot peeking around the canopy or over the top... as if the floats weren't enough of a challenge.

Keith, greggles and Rob's ideas work too of course.

On 06/09/2017 at 15:15, giemme said:

Oh come on! :D  :D

Ciao

I know, my thoughts entirely! :D

On 07/09/2017 at 08:37, TheBaron said:

A driving style coincidentally adopted by some fellow motorists on the commute to work, presumably in tribute....

A piece of completely unconnected local logic that I encountered yesterday Ced that you might appreciate:

In one of those generic everything for a pound/euro shops yesterday. They've installed self-service stations where you scan and pay for your own goods. Courteous Polish woman staff member asks if I know how to use them OK, same as supermarket etc. No problem. Older and rather obsequious female shopper rolls up, also answers (rather testily) 'yes, yes, I know how these things work' and stands at scanner beside me doing nothing. After a minute or two, courteous Polish woman walks over and enquires if everything OK, testy old buzzard replies impatiently 'yes, but I always get the staff to scan the items for me.' CPW(nonplussed): 'But that's no different from just going to a till'. TOB:'Well really...!'

And people give off about the youth of today....

Ha! The grumpy old woman... and they say us grumpy old men are a problem! :D

Enough for now chaps, back to my sick bed. Despite my best endeavours Mrs B refuses to follow the 'Poor Little Bunny' treatment. What can you do eh?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1