Supermarine S6B - Eastern Express 1/72

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'd ideally like to glue the transfers together / to the fin. What glue works for transfers?

PVA? It's water-soluble and dries clear. If it goes wrong, you should be able to rescue the situation.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Beard said:

PVA? It's water-soluble and dries clear. If it goes wrong, you should be able to rescue the situation.

+1. And despite what you said, I'll tell you that you'd have better painted them stripes on ... :chair:  Did I ever mention I hate decals? :whistle:  :D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Trevor - 'Tante Ju' will be next, but what's with all this "Tante" stuff? Something to do with aunties I guess... :)

"Tante" is auntie in German. It was a term of affection used by the aircrews, not least because of its rugged reliability.

P

• Thanks 2

Some tricky enough detail to get them badges finessed over there Ced but you've aced it, of course.:clap2:

Sorry to have missed your big election earlier but rather glad you've chosen Tante. It should prove an arresting piece of work.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I've cut out the ones I need to use (obviously), checked the reference shots for #6 (I think it's supposed to be panel lines so I've left them off, yuk) and checked there are no walkways or red dots.

I'm certainly no expert Ced, and am quite lkely completely wrong, but might they be 'trestle here' type markings for the beaching gear?

Keith

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Beard said:

All I can say is, if you're going to do the Bowling make sure you have plenty of filler in stock.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Adrian - the Cat will get built for the GB but I think the Junkers gets first place so it's now on the bench. Also, as Bill says, you are wicked! :wicked:

Ced, how detailed will you be doing the Cat?

I only ask as I've seen a Catalina at Telford, which is done as a cutaway model, and it was detailed to the extent it had the elsan with loo roll. Yep, a loo roll.

Now that's what call superdetailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm also not quite mojo'd up enough for the attention the Sunderland deserves so Ju52 it is!

(Any suggestions that this vote was rigged will be met with the usual excuse 'the Russians hacked me' :D )

As if they didn't already have enough to answer for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

As if they didn't already have enough to answer for.

For a moment just now,  the whole forum trembled at the heartfelt depth of emotion contained  in that statement PC!

• Like 2

Thanks Simon :) PVA? Aha, I have Gator's Grip which is very like that. Thanks!

Thanks Giorgio :) At one point I did consider ripping the transfers off but then I considered what I'd have to do afterwards. The Gator's Grip worked which is just as well 'cos I don't know how I'd have replicated the serials:

36831054370_c064ac8965_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Not perfect (like a lot of the kit) but good enough for the ceiling.

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

"Tante" is auntie in German. It was a term of affection used by the aircrews, not least because of its rugged reliability.

Thanks P :) Nothing like my Aunties then...

Thanks Tony - the Tante (oooh, get me) should prove interesting indeed. Hopefully not arresting though, at least not for me!

Thanks Keith :) I'm sure you're right and the lines are positions for the beaching gear.

John I'm not sure about the detailing on the Cat - I'll cross that chicken when I've counted my baskets :)

Thanks PC :D Like Tony, I felt your emotion!

Like the rudder transfers the lower bits are good enough for the ceiling:

36414376123_b033e9955f_z.jpg

I've purposely taken the worse angle shot. From most angles it's OK, especially if you squint. So, here we are:

37057041342_afa60fc547_z.jpg

Something missing (apart from the prop and canopy)... I know, wash!

37229218855_d1d137a5df_z.jpg

Just a bit but, as we all know from Johnny's builds, it makes all the difference (as long as it comes off!).

I used one of my French Supermarket brushes for that. Lovely soft hair. Reminded me of a French Girlfriend I had in my teens.... .... .. .

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

The weathering especially works well. :D

Hold fast there, Johnny.

I think this thread is about to veer off on a bit of a detour.

Something about a French girl in a supermarket with soft hair, or something.... Did he say he gave her a wash,?

Hang on, I'll have to go back...

• Haha 3

What the.....I've only just found this and you're already finished! I'll have to keep an eye open for the '52.....

Very nice by the way!

I was going to start my own build for this GB but decided all the kits I have need way too much work. (It was going to be a Libramodels FBA Leveque, but it's not even close to what it should be!)

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks greggles - prop and canopy on now, she's done :)

Thanks Giorgio - Johnny's convinced me about washes now - they do make things more realistic somehow :)

Thanks Keith :) Fond memories of the girlfriend and no, I won't be expanding my comments!

Thanks Johnny - wash wasn't wiped off in those shots but is in the gallery. Flory black; nice. :)

Thanks Rob :D

Thanks Trevor :) I'm out this morning but I'll come back and post a link to the Tante when I start.

Thanks Ian :) I know what you mean about GBs - oh, the pressure!

The transfers settled OK in the end:

36423066183_aaff897de0_z.jpg

and the wash came off well, leaving a nice effect IMHO.

In the gallery here.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, CedB said:

Fond memories of the girlfriend and no, I won't be expanding my comments!

OK, OK, fair enough :D  :D  :D 

I think I've been the first commenting on your RFI, do I win anything? :wink: 

Been a pleasure following this WIP - as usual with a CedBuild :clap::clap:

Ciao

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Congratulations Giemme, you win a rubber chicken LOL.

You'll probably get a clout round the head with it from the GB moderator Giorgio - guess you didn't notice this - "Please do not post comments in this thread. All comments should go in the subject's build thread" - oops...!! :winkgrin:

Keith

Ooops again - forgot to say - another cracking job Ced, lovely little floatplane! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

I think I've been the first commenting on your RFI, do I win anything? :wink: 

Terribly sorry Giorgio ( @giemme), but there should be no comments in the GB Gallery, just posts of the completed builds. The comments should go in the build threads. I'd be grateful if you could delete the comment from the Gallery.

Again, sorry for this.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Terribly sorry Giorgio ( @giemme), but there should be no comments in the GB Gallery, just posts of the completed builds. The comments should go in the build threads. I'd be grateful if you could delete the comment from the Gallery.

Again, sorry for this.

Cheers

Jaime

Dang, I'm an idiot, sorry Jaime - I forgot this build is part of a GB. Comment removed.

45 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You'll probably get a clout round the head with it from the GB moderator Giorgio

And I guess I deserve it. As I said, when following the gallery link I totally forgot this build is part of a GB - I thought I was commenting a regular RFI. :chair:  :chair: 

Ciao

• Like 2