Supermarine S6B - Eastern Express 1/72

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon :)

Choices are:

- Italeri Sunderland Mk III in white(ish)

- Airfix Catalina

- Airfix Ju52 or

- Airfix Grumman Gosling.

Should I hold an election?

All I can say is, if you're going to do the Bowling make sure you have plenty of filler in stock.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

What would Theresa May do?

Whatever, probably wisest to do the opposite. If it helps, my vote would go to the Tante Ju. Mmmm, corrugated surfaces, just right for sanding and filling.

Thanks Chris - go for a walk? :D

4 minutes ago, Beard said:

All I can say is, if you're going to do the Bowling make sure you have plenty of filler in stock.

Thanks Simon - "Bowling"? Auto-correct strikes again? I think all of the Airfix kits are going to require lots of filler... and other stuff!

Just now, giemme said:

She's looking gorgeous and shiny, Ced :clap:

However, from you last pic it seems that the starboard float has a visible seam on top of it ...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Where did that come from! Just for you I've applied some Mr Surfacer.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon :)

Choices are:

- Italeri Sunderland Mk III in white(ish)

- Airfix Catalina

- Airfix Ju52 or

- Airfix Grumman Gosling.

Should I hold an election?

I really think there needs to be some kind of Proportional Representation involved here . I mean, first past the post, between this lot of contenders. You could end up with a hung aeroplane here!.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, CedB said:

In more important news, David Slater has won his copyright case for the 'selfie' that Naruto the crested macaque took and that was widely publicised and used by people like me as their screen saver. I've now replaced it with a picture of Molly. So there.

The world has gone bananas Ced.

🍌 🐒 

:coat: 

PS: The Supermarine looks really good; I like the rigging and struts :thumbsup2: 

TT

PPS: Junkers or Sunderland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

Whatever, probably wisest to do the opposite. If it helps, my vote would go to the Tante Ju. Mmmm, corrugated surfaces, just right for sanding and filling.

Also my vote for the Tante Ju. Should be ok, but not that Italeri quality. But what would Mrs. Thatcher think or like??  Obviously no german plane ever, I guess :whistle:. Especially none of that period in England. :winkgrin:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Snap-fit kit, somehow still manage to get a gluey thumbprint in the canopy.

(Throwing stones from a glass American house here.)

Ced, it's got to be the Sunderland. Huge. Friendly-looking. British. Three qualities one wants in both a flying boat and  most baked goods.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Rob - Proportional Representation? Hmmm, OK, let's give it a go... what's your vote? :D

Thanks TT :) Bananas indeed. You should have seen the Piers Morgan 'interview' with Slater and a PETA woman on 'This Morning'; Mrs B called me in for it. Potty. I've removed then image from the lock screen on my 'phone though in case the lawyers come after me :shutup:

Thanks Simon, I thought it was the auto-correct :)

Thanks Martian - vote recorded! :)

Thanks Benedikt - I'm sure Mrs Thatcher would have taken a lead! Not one for 'the popular vote' that Lady :)

Thanks Johnny - getting better thanks. I should have taken a leaf from your rigging book and used BluTak :)

Thanks PC - "Huge. Friendly-looking. British." You know me so well... :D

Thanks P - nearly done :)

So the votes so far?

Junkers - 3

Sunderland - 3

Typical! Hung parliament. I'll wait and see if anyone else votes and that may swing it... or even help me choose a kit (fnarr!)

Sorry, I don't have any funds to help a decision. I'm going to try to do all of them in the GB so it's just a matter of who leads (as usual)

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, philp said:

While I love the Sunderland there are already 2 under construction so I would pick th Auntie Ju.  Besides, be fun to watch you deal with the corrugated skin.

As (self-elected) leader of the Britmodeller Society of American Pals, it's my sad duty to inform you that this is treason.

• Haha 5

You could always do a passenger one Ced:

Brazil;

IMG_6777.jpg

Norway:

IMG_6781.jpg

Finland;

IMG_6775.jpg

Sweden;

IMG_6787.jpg

That's all the public domain ones I can find for now; but there are more airlines and countries.

I can't find a British floatplane Ju-52, but there may have been one.

Here's a British wheely one.

IMG_6774.jpg

And an Icelandic one:

IMG_6788.jpg

:)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Phil, I think :) Although there are two other Sunderlands one isn't 'my scale' and Simon's is a Mk I so I could justify another. You can never have too many Sund... oh no wait, that's not right is it? As far as being 'fun' dealing with the skin, that's just wicked :wicked::)

Thanks PC - you get 'im mate! :D

Thanks TT - I think those pictures have endeared me to the Junkers, although I'll stick to the kit scheme I think as it fits my WWII Europe theme.

I'm also not quite mojo'd up enough for the attention the Sunderland deserves so Ju52 it is!

(Any suggestions that this vote was rigged will be met with the usual excuse 'the Russians hacked me' :D )

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the S6B! I think the Airfix Catalina would provide most audience satisfaction - cue Victor Meldrew-ish quotes when seeing how well the canopy fits...

Regards,

Adrian

You're a bit of a wicked s*d Adrian, there's far worser things about the Airfix Cat, much as I love it, than the canopy fit

Nothing like an undercarriage sprung to mind at once

Engine/wing/cockpit location interface even more

But it can all work out in the end if you get some of John A's Twin Wasps

Catbuild_painting_c_023.jpg

Oh yes and two tons of Liquid Gravity

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Ced your Supersupermarine S6 looks lovely, going to be a beauty with the stickers on

Much as I prefer the beautiful Sunderland, did I ever tell you my dad used to make the tea in them? I would think you are going to knock us out with the corrugated tin Junkers

Go on, go on go on you know you want to

If however against all logic, and I might build another some time too, you go for the Airfix Catalina please consider treating the model and yourself to an after market undercarriage

Airfix were designing for their user's benefit, the reall thing is nowt like the single beam apparatus they gave us

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adrian - the Cat will get built for the GB but I think the Junkers gets first place so it's now on the bench. Also, as Bill says, you are wicked! :wicked:

Thanks Trevor - 'Tante Ju' will be next, but what's with all this "Tante" stuff? Something to do with aunties I guess... :)

Thanks Bill :) Thanks for the warning about the Cat - I'll be building wheels up as usual; do I still need a replacement u/c? Nice story about your Uncle. I bet 'making tea' was one of those humble statements eh?

Feeling a bit less wobbly this morning so transfers. Decals. Whatever you call them, they're sometimes a pain. This one looks easy:

37220482965_5b6438cfff_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've cut out the ones I need to use (obviously), checked the reference shots for #6 (I think it's supposed to be panel lines so I've left them off, yuk) and checked there are no walkways or red dots.

The rudder/fin flashes are in two parts with a cutout in the smaller one, obviously for the tailplane:

37048388142_1afaa4d7d9_z.jpg

I like to cut out and arrange the transfers for each side and then do one side at a time. Look at that photo again. The one with the cutout is under the rudder flash for the other side. Spotted that!

What I didn't spot or even consider is that the cutout, er, isn't:

36383562544_8337008e66_z.jpg

Rats. Of course proper modellers would have cut away as much of the carrier film as they could before trying to apply them. So you now know why I didn't. Chop off the cutout carrier and apply. They're too big:

36383562574_835c505cff_z.jpg

After a lot of cursing and cutting this is the best I could get:

37030304376_7b0533bb67_z.jpg

Now doused in MicroSol and fingers crossed. Should have painted them? Yeah, right, with hindsight but really this kit isn't THAT good (said the bad workman).

The other problem was the serial going over the cooling fins:

37220989535_1eb70bdab1_z.jpg

Poked and prodded, they've also been doused in MicroSol and I have Daco strong if that doesn't work.

The #7s are also 'interesting' - just cut the carrier film off, OK, AND note that some of them have a shorter leg so they fit the float curve. Don't ask me which ones, they got moved around so much I couldn't tell you.

Four transfers, four problems. Easy? Oh, the irony.

I'm now 'looking forward' to getting the rudder flash over the balance weight. A ha ha ha.

Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Ced no mate, if you're building for the ceiling you can use the Airfix wheels

Doh why did I forget that huh?

Got to pull you up though, t'wasnt an uncle, it was me dad 

Painting to trim the fin and rudder won't be hard either, it'll look nice up there then

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob - what's It? :confused:

Thanks Bill :) Sorry, your Dad! Must have aunties and uncles on the brain.

Last two applied:

36386172094_c780616c5b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Nasty hack job over the balance. I'll try to tidy it up when they're dry.

Carrier trimmed this time but they're still big - what's the best way to sort this:

36408694353_0145df3f76_z.jpg

I'd ideally like to glue the transfers together / to the fin. What glue works for transfers?

• Like 6