Supermarine S6B - Eastern Express 1/72

I'm sure this won't be the only S6B so I thought I'd get in first:

36724747841_0851e6d60c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Some sprue shots:

36864357905_a5f08c0582_z.jpg

Looks like a nice easy start to the GB (famous last words). Where's the clear part?

36864367975_c690fd4a17_z.jpg

Retrieved from the carpet monster (phew!). Not a good start. Note that this also has the droop fin:

36864372905_f725bfd258_z.jpg

Now carefully straightened.

Bit of NMF, bit of rigging. Nice.

• Like 24

Thanks Jaime, Alex, Joe, Simon and Tony :)

I won't be starting until Saturday but there are some nice pictures of N248 at the Solent Sky museum here.

Southampton. That's not too far away. Hmmm.

• Like 4

Good grief Ced, I was just ambling over to find some missile thing I heard you were building, only to notice you were cracking on with this little stunner too. So I'll just sit here quietly for a while to carch my breath !

Keith

Edit - just a quick thought, were they NMF or painted silver? I have no idea, just wondering?

• Like 2

This builds up into a nice model

Ced. A great mojo booster of a kit.

Also a lovely Golden Age classic.

:popcorn:

Looking forward to this.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks Keith - have a seat (starting Saturday) :) See pictures below for NMF.

Thanks TT - welcome! :)

Thanks greggles - helpful! :D

Thanks PC - that video isn't available here (weird). I did find a video on a reproduction S5 here - is that it?

Thanks Bonhoff - please feel free to chip in if it looks like I'm going wrong. Reboxed Frog? Nice, as Frog were in Southampton too (I think) :)

Scalemates entry confirms it's a rebox of the Frog 1964 kit.

Thanks Sleeper :)NMF or High Speed Silver? That was my worry. Luckily Solent Sky have one so I went to Southampton today.

Here's N248, sort of crammed in to the museum along with a copy of the Schneider Trophy:

36728052442_5bbd928228_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The Wikipedia entry for the S6 has some good shots but I wanted a few more for details. Like a close up of the finish:

36759051651_0c9f8f40b7_z.jpg

So, natural metal, but shiny. Perhaps varnished? Hmmm.

I won't post all my pictures but here are a few important points (you should be able to click on them for the full sized image).

Struts, not wires. Still thin but flattened oval in cross section.

36502077450_c69e4e29f9_n.jpg 36728049012_d34c1d2435_n.jpg

Cooling tubes embedded in the sides, exhaust covers and shiny spinner tip:

36502077970_e277028ec5_n.jpg 36502078610_bfb2396b7b_n.jpg

A couple of drawings of the internals:

36759052161_49f281c0f3_z.jpg

36502079790_c28b8de554_z.jpg

I'm not sure I'll bother with that for a ceiling model. Little can be seen through the tiny gap aft of the canopy:

36898782865_f25b984c04_z.jpg

Still not sure about the finish - it looks painted doesn't it? At 1/72 I think NMF is going to be too stark and there's very little variation in the panels eh?

• Like 19

I'd say the wings are definately painted Ced, prop & spinner NM, floats - undecided, but wavering to painted...!! (and I'd find it strange if the latter were unpainted due to corrosion or oxidation issues?) 

Keith

• Like 6

It's the FROG kit and better than Airfix. As for finish, Prime Portal do a superb walkaround of S1595 at the Science Museum, in unrestored  condition - straight after the speed record attempt.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/supermarine_s.6b_s1595/

N248 is an S6, not a B, and is three feet shorter than a B.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks PC - that video isn't available here (weird). I did find a video on a reproduction S5 here - is that it?s eh?

It's a song about the replica, so close enough.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ced,

If you decide that the finish was High Speed Silver painted, you have this colour in the Alclad II range. Of course there's also tones for NMF in their range too.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

I'd forgotten about the Frog kit. I built one as a kid and the shop sold both Frog and Airfix. I'm going to get to that museum someday. The wings look painted to me but could also be treated. Either way it's still a great subject.

• Thanks 1

Wot PC Ced. Looking at your 'distance' photo of the S6B at the top of your post above, the floats definitely look painted. Whether it's the nature of the beast, a trick of the light(ing) or the camera itself I couldn't pretend to say, though.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith - I think I agree that it'll look OK like that - I'll do some tests :)

Thanks for the link BW - great shots there :) I did ponder the chipped finish and even thought about trying to replicate it but then I came to my senses!

Thanks PC, nice song. Light grey paint might do it with a satin coat? :)

Thanks Tony :)

Thanks Jaime :) Alclad's too smelly for me... worth remembering for when I get my booth vented.

Thanks Sleeper :)

Thanks Alex :) I think the varnish on the metal makes it all look painted. That said the model also has to look like the original eh?

Thanks Pheonix :)

• Like 2