RAF bomber wreck discovered in the North Sea

Graham T

Short article from the BBC re a new discovery.  The general opinion is that it's a Stirling & this seems to be based on the fact that many Stirlings went missing whilst carrying put supply trips to Norway; however there must be HUNDREDS of such wrecks in the N Sea of a/c of all types.  The only image released so far shows a wheel & I must confess, having looked at the Stirling's rather complex undercart, I can't reconcile that hoop shaped feature with any of it.  To me it actually looks like a tail wheel but of course there's nothing to give it any scale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-41049104

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1

Didn't the Stirling have twin tailwheels? I agree that the photo gives no real clue. Presumably other photos exist which led them to believe it's a Stirling not to mention the survey results. 

It would be nice if it was identified so the crew would be properly remembered. 

the hoop is the scraper ring on the tail wheel. Some of the images appear o show the glider towing yoke and a part that I recognise from the cockpit floor. I'm in touch with the chap from the National Grid and hope to get a few more higher res pics in time

John

• Like 1