Curtiss Racer #3

Hello Greggles,

That's what I call modelling too !

Ideas like the one of using electrical tubing as a Template !

Really enjoyed that way to do thing, Congrats

Nice job on that floats.

A Schneider trophy collection !

Please No do not induce me into such an idea, it will be hard to resist !

Have a very good modelling time !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

Hello & thanks for the encouragement!

Work on the floats is nearing completion.  Next has been layering up some detail.  Here using an adhesive label with set-out guides to lay out the raised strips along the top spine of the floats & drill locating holes for the future struts:

BM_8_Float detailing

You can see those strips here ...

BM_8_CR-3_Float detailing

Two other details apparent in the photos above are the rectangular covers to access the strut junctions, and all those recessed, shallow-domed ... 'plugs'.  Presumably relating to the watertight compartments within the floats, as written about in the references.  The same rectangular covers & 'plugs' were present on the R3C-2 floats, built two years later, as seen here circled in red in a restoration photo:

BM_8_R3C-2_Float restoration

But at the time of racing, 1925, the R3C-2 'plugs' had flush covers, shown here:

BM_8_R3C-2_Float race config

Here's one back in place on the Smithsonian's exhibited R3C-2:

BM_8_R3C-2_Float plug cover

I think a similar effort to streamline was made with the earlier CR-3.  In contrast to the initial CR-3 float photos I opened with - which were taken a few months before the race - photos such as these - taken at Cowes during the race - suggest the 'plugs' were covered over.  To the point where it is difficult to spot them, but they are there ...

BM_8_CR-3_Racing float detailing (1)

BM_8_CR-3_Racing float detailing (2)

So here's me having a go at these..

I took a punch to the thinnest styrene sheet, then deformed them using a metal kitchen skewer, to raise the centre bump, something like as seen in the photo above.  Some more adhesive labels to help with set out:

BM_8_CR-3_Plugs (1)

... and then position them like so ...

BM_8_CR-3_Plugs (2)

... all 10 of them!!  Four out & six in.

BM_8_CR-3_Plugs (3)

My aim is to have them only subtly discernible, so the photo above shows them after a little effort to sand down the rim of each to blend them down into the float.  Unfortunately in a few instances the little bump in the middle of the circle has collapsed.  I've decided to stop fiddling with them, as it's pretty hard to judge the overall effect while they are in stark white against the grey.  So I think it best I hold judgement until I get a monotone of a coat of primer on.  I'll do that tomorrow morning, all going well.  In the meantime, I'm trying to make sure float No.2 keeps up!

Thanks for checking in ..

g.

• Like 12

That is a very tricky exercise indeed: I can commiserate with the thin plastic bulges on the plugs as I have had similar problems in the past. I agree that a coat of primer is the best way forward - the feature is so subtle to achieve. Good for having a go though.

P

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'd say that you're right to withold judgement until a snort of primer gives some uniformity to appearances.

4 minutes ago, pheonix said:

I agree that a coat of primer is the best way forward - the feature is so subtle to achieve.

Thanks gentlemen, it's nice to have that judgement seconded.

Having said that (!) I have kept fiddling a bit on other things..

There's an extra detail only found on the inner chine (I had to look that word up!) of the float, seen below left, a blade-like strip which presumably was there to deflect water spray down away from the fuselage.

BM_9_Float spray strip (1)

So while having a go at that with some fine strip (foreground), in much the same manner as the keel strip (background) ...

BM_9_Float spray strip (2)

... I belatedly notice the size of the float step there, which is more apparent to me now the excess white sheet has been trimmed off at the back.  Here's an image of the real thing showing a proportionally much smaller step...

BM_9_Float step (1)

So, it seems primer may be put off for a little longer.  A slab of thick sheet laminated to the under surface to lower the step ..

BM_9_Float step (2)

Trim that tomorrow after the glue dries & repeat for the other face.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Great work on the floats.

Thanks S.!

To keep myself from impatiently causing further harm to the near-to-finished floats, I've opened up the packaging for the airplane they will support.  Laid out below are the lovely resin & (quite soft) white metal parts which will be used for this CR-3 project.  The zip lock bag contains the various jewel-like bits for the undercarriage, tail skid, and Lamblin radiators of the CR-2 - which won't be used - together with cockpit bits like seat & so on which will be replaced by a pilot figure.

BM_10_CR-2_Noix kit components

I've undertaken no clean-up of these parts.  This is how they came out of their wrapping.  Minimal flash, minimal casting blocks, very fine panel lines, lovely form.  Looking forward to transitioning to this stage soon!

• Like 5

Today's work in cardboard.  A jig to bring together Float + Plane.

BM_11_CR-3_Jig (1)

It occurred to me that I didn't have an easy way to hold these floats for priming.  The logical thing would be to have a few struts connected & to use them.  But to make the struts I would first need to confirm the geometry & dimensions.  So a jig.

One of those exciting moments when plastic bits hint at becoming a plane!

BM_11_CR-3_Jig (2)

Edited by greggles.w
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is some jig!

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Wot Mr.Phoenix said. That jig is incredible! Almost a piece of Modernist architecture in it's own right...

Thanks Pheonix, thanks Tony.  Brutalist modern architecture perhaps?  As it happens architecture is my trade, and the jig is made of a low cost card which we used to use to make models back at university (before 3D CAD had taken over).  The jig is evolving, a little less 'architecture' & more shanty...

BM_12_CR-3_First strut jig

The additions being to join the dots, between the locating hole I've already drilled on the float, and the tiny locating hole in the fuselage.  As far as I can tell Curtiss used the CR-2's undercarriage fixing locations for the CR-3's float strut fixings, as shown below, so that helpfully lets me use the Noix kit's locating holes on the fuselage.

BM_12_CR-2 CR-3_Wheels Floats

So out with the soft brass tube, flattened & ground to a symmetrical aerofoil profile:

BM_12_CR-3_First strut

Then use the jig to grind down the angle to the end joining the float ...

BM_12_CR-3_First strut fitting (1)

... and then much the same for the junction with the fuselage:

BM_12_CR-3_First strut fitting (2)

Then next I laminated some thin plastic sheet to the ends to capture the 'sleeve' detail which can just be seen here:

BM_12_CR-3_Struts

Like so, with a brass pin inserted too...

BM_12_CR-3_Strut sleeves

And fixed in place to the float!

BM_12_CR-3_Strut finished (1)

BM_12_CR-3_Strut finished (2)

BM_12_CR-3_Strut finished (3)

That'll do for today..

• Like 8

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'Great architecture should always be applauded.'

:clap2:

Very kind sir, thanks Baron!

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

This is a very interesting build, and read.  I'm in admiration of your rebuilding of those floats- excellent

Thanks Robert.  A few things going in my favour with those floats: the relatively straightforward geometry; plywood construction meaning no panel lines or rivets; and a very close likeness to the donor R3C-2 floats.

9 hours ago, pheonix said:

Excellent bit of scratch building there. The evolving jig is interesting too.

Thanks Pheonix!  Well the jig is evolving further, with a new growth ready to support the rear strut.  Joining the dots again, this time from the float to the Noix kit underwing undercarriage locating hole, visible on the upturned plane in the background below:

BM_13_CR-3_Rear Strut Jig (1)

The resulting geometry is markedly different, leaning forward not back, and leaning further in.  That greater inward lean can be seen in the photo on left, and is confirmed as OK & generally consistent with the drawing on the right:

BM_13_CR-3_Rear Strut Jig (2)

Yet for all that, the resulting strut length is only 1.5mm shorter than the front strut.  I didn't predict that.

Here's one of my spare strut cast-offs sitting in place:

BM_13_CR-3_Rear Strut Jig (3)

That will have to do for today, as I'm due to head out of town shortly.  No more work on this for me until Monday at the earliest.  Will keep my eye on all the other great projects underway here in the meantime ...

• Like 6