Hello gentlemen, 

This is my entry for the Flying Boats and Float Planes GB. 

QBuCUeU.jpg

Tamiya 1/48th scale. Aichi M6A1 Seiran. Kit Number 61054.

This kit was first released in June 1997 (20 years old at the time of writing).

There are 65 parts to the aircraft. This includes 2 crew members, 2 different windscreens and 2 different gunsights depending on which one you select. There is also another 18 parts for the trolley.

The decals are by Invisa-clear. 

Tamiya went through a stage of putting these high quality decals with their kits around this time. I've used them before, and found them to be very good.

The only draw back was, when I used a set which were about ten years old, they stuck like glue to the backing paper, and could not be used. I'm hoping this was just a one off as this set I intend to use could be 20 years old.

I intend to use Tamiya Acrylics for the majority of the painting. With a Flory wash for the weathering, and a brown gauche on the trolley to represent the grain on the wooden components. 

As you can see on the box lid, I bought my example from EDDY'S in Helston in Cornwall for £15.99. Unfortunately, EDDY'S are no longer in business. This is the art work for the original release. The kit was released again in 2007 with a different box art. 

The kit is typically Tamiya, very well engineered with recessed panel lines.

I've chosen this subject because I wanted a simple build, and hopefully I should finish it within the time span as I don't want fail to finish in yet another group build!

Below is a link to Wikipedia should you wish to know more about the Aichi Seiran.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_M6A

The aircraft was designed to operate from submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The link below will explain more about the submarine aircraft carrier.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400-class_submarine

Thank you, Joe. 

• Like 9

Hi Joe,

Great choice, it's our first Japanese entry! Very interesting concept that one of the submarine aircraft carrier. I had no idea it existed!

I fully understand your wish to choose a simple subject, in order to be able to finish it in the time frame of the GB, as I've done the same.

Looking forward to your build. Best of luck!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi Joe,

Great choice, it's our first Japanese entry! Very interesting concept that one of the submarine aircraft carrier. I had no idea it existed!

I fully understand your wish to choose a simple subject, in order to be able to finish it in the time frame of the GB, as I've done the same.

Looking forward to your build. Best of luck!

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, I've made the Tamiya model of the I-400 Submarine.

I will post a photo of it when I start my build next week.

Cheers, Joe. :D

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fatboydim said:

Thank you Jaime, I've made the Tamiya model of the I-400 Submarine.

I will post a photo of it when I start my build next week.

Cheers, Joe. :D

That'll be interesting to see. Do you have a RFI or WIP of it? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jrlx said:

That'll be interesting to see. Do you have a RFI or WIP of it? 

I did have a RFI on here, but it was a victim of Photobucket. I will repost again and give you the link if you like. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Yes,  please! 

With the new extensions for Firefox and Chrome we are again able to see PB pictures.

Cheers

Jaime 

I didn't know that. Here's the link. Hope it works, if not, I'll repost the photos.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Thanks for the link,  Joe. I'll take a look at it. 

You can find info on the new extensions here:

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, I use Safari on an iPad to do all my work, so I don't know if that will work for me. But thank you away. 

• Like 1

Great subject, Joe!

I use Safari on the ipad too - there are, as far as I know, no extension for Safari on iOS, which a pretty tightly walled garden; the same would therefore apply to Firefox and Chrome on iOS. It would be different on macOs, wirh the plugins being available to Firefox and Chrome users, but highly unlikely that a Safari extension would get past the gatekeepers at Apple (who would be wanting to keep 'on-side' with the PhotoBlaggard lawyers, accountants and spin-doctors).

I won't be holding my breath on the likelihood of the plugins lasting: I'm sure that the above-mentioned creatures will put the bite on their pet programmers to get the block back in place. In the meantime, though... :).

Back to the Seiran!

• Like 1

The extensions probably won't last but they're useful for the moment. Anyway, it seems they only work on desktop versions of the browsers. At least I couldn't have the chrome extension installed in my Android phone. 

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Great subject, Joe!

I use Safari on the ipad too - there are, as far as I know, no extension for Safari on iOS, which a pretty tightly walled garden; the same would therefore apply to Firefox and Chrome on iOS. It would be different on macOs, wirh the plugins being available to Firefox and Chrome users, but highly unlikely that a Safari extension would get past the gatekeepers at Apple (who would be wanting to keep 'on-side' with the PhotoBlaggard lawyers, accountants and spin-doctors).

I won't be holding my breath on the likelihood of the plugins lasting: I'm sure that the above-mentioned creatures will put the bite on their pet programmers to get the block back in place. In the meantime, though... :).

Back to the Seiran!

Thank you Alex, I'm using Imgur now, so hopefully all will be well. I've updated the submarine photos through Imgur as well. Joe

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I've an odd fondness for aircraft launched from subs so will be interested to see this one come together. Best of luck with it Joe!

:thumbsup2:

Tony

Thank you Tony. 

Hello gentlemen, 

here are the first photos of my build. 

COE1oW8.jpg

nBmPiB6.jpg

cIV3QfP.jpg

NjMIcAr.jpg

XQvjnlh.jpg

H28Pm7B.jpg

TFL9Vd4.jpg

Below is a model of the submarine that the Aichi Seiran operated from. I made this model when it was first released in 2007. 

QPpc0KD.jpg

9z8eu7x.jpg

All the the images were posted via imgur with the text on the photos being added with the aid Snapseed.

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 7

Hi Joe,

Nice images of the box contents and congratulations for the superb model of the submarine.

Looking forward for the "hands-on" pictures :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen, 

I've made a start by test fitting some of the main parts, and gluing together a few bits and pieces. 

KuqQjZT.jpg

The weight supplied with the model goes in one of the floats. 

C4j2h01.jpg

I taped the wings and floats on the fuselage to get an idea of the finished model and to test fit the parts. 

Next, I've glued a few of the parts together ready for the seams to be sanded down before spraying with a primer.

VnCfesM.jpg

I used a combination of Tamiya Liquid Cemant and Revell Contacta Cement. 

F5xd0WS.jpg

When gluing the main sections together, I normally use the Revell glue.

I run a bead of adhesive along both the joining surfaces, then squeeze the parts gently together. This leaves a small continuous line of glue raised above the surface (see photo above). This is left overnight to harden. 

After it's cleaned off and sanded smooth, hopefully no more attention will be needed on the join line as the glue has filled any gaps. 

Thanks for looking, Joe. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Joe,

A nice and gracious one, well, good choice !

Have a nice modelling time.

sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hello Corsaircorp, thank you very much. Regards, Joe. 

Hi Joe,

Great start and things are taking shape fast! The fit of parts looks superb and I concur with your approach to glueing in order to minimise the need for seam treatment. I do the same but I use mainly Tamiya Extra Thin (or regular thickness for larger contact areas like top and bottom parts of wings).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That is a superb idea redoing the aircraft from your sub build (which looks ace btw!) at a larger scale. Great concept Joe!

Nice work so far.:thumbsup2:

Tony

Thank you Tony. 

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Joe,

Great start and things are taking shape fast! The fit of parts looks superb and I concur with your approach to glueing in order to minimise the need for seam treatment. I do the same but I use mainly Tamiya Extra Thin (or regular thickness for larger contact areas like top and bottom parts of wings).

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, thank you. The fit looks very good so far. 

• Like 1