Civil FW-200 interior - replica?

Admiral Puff

This little black duck has no problems with any thread hijack - keep 'em coming, I say!

Trevor, I believe that it will eventually go on display at the Museum. They look to have the room, but only just - it will be a very tight fit!

• Like 1

On 28/09/2017 at 13:33, rbeach84 said:

Man after my own heart... I have the Koster Condor kit and find it superior to the Trumpie so I also slated the Trumpeter to the conversion pile since converting to civil will correct or eliminate the problems (usual shape stuff...)

I too look forward to your project (and am following...)

Cheers!

Regards, Robert

Well, well. 

I never knew Koster produced a Condor - but a quick Google brings it up, although long out of production I suspect.

The parts breakdown look far more conducive to a civil conversion than the Trumpeter kit. Also Koster were very high quality kits for the time, looks the way to go.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Sadly, Bill Koster has retired. I believe that he's sold his moulds, etc., on, although nothing has been made public so far. Here's hoping ...

I suspected that would be the case.

A lot of his 1/48 back catalogue has been superseded by mainstream kits. In the case of the Condor it would be pointless repopping the military Condor. There may be some mileage re-engineering it into a civil machine, but I suspect the margins will be extremely tight on that.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:58 PM, Admiral Puff said:

I didn't get an answer on that. Logic says that it should end up in a military scheme, since it is apparently being restored in military configuration, but you never know ...

When completed it'll be finished as one of the six Fw200s that were sent to Lufthansa just before the end of the war. They wanted to avoid restoring it as a purely military version - remember it is partly being restored by Airbus and Lufthansa, and that was apparently the best compromise. When completed the actual aircraft will be a composite of three different machines. 

HTH

Chris

• Like 3

Thanks, Chris - that makes sense. They've got a fairly extensive collection of parts from the machines recovered from Russia - and it may provide inspiration for something different to do with the Trumpy 1:72 kit ...

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks, Chris - that makes sense. They've got a fairly extensive collection of parts from the machines recovered from Russia - and it may provide inspiration for something different to do with the Trumpy 1:72 kit ...

I'm pretty sure there's no Russian parts in there but there are three Norwegian wrecks they're using. One is the well-known one that broke in half and collapsed upon removal from the lake, one was partly recovered from the Norwegian wastes and will form the basis of much of the wing and tail restoration, and the third is being used for measurement reasons only, as the components are thoroughly rotted. They also have a lot of .303 Hurricane bullet holes in! If you look in my FlyPast article you'll see the wing of the second Fw200 on end and being worked on. It's got much of its original paint still on, and like all the other components from that crash site was in excellent condition when recovered. having seen that wing close up unrestored, I can say that the metal looks to be in very good shape indeed. Incidentally, the tail components of the first and second aircraft are different. After aircraft number 20 - I think - the design was simplified and made to a different specification, meaning the two sections recovered are different!

It was quite a fun day when I got to Hamburg, as they'd just got the horizontal stabilisers working together for the first time... great stuff, and a lovely group of people as well!

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2017 at 6:33 AM, rbeach84 said:

Man after my own heart... I have the Koster Condor kit and find it superior to the Trumpie so I also slated the Trumpeter to the conversion pile since converting to civil will correct or eliminate the problems (usual shape stuff...)

I too look forward to your project (and am following...)

Cheers!

Regards, Robert

What's funny about that is there was once a photo of the Trumpeter development office with a very prominent Koster Fw200 kit!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

New member here.

I'm a Condor fan and have several of the kits to build.

Admiral Puff, is the picture offer still open? I am planning to convert both of my Trumpeter Condor kits to civilian versions, but sadly my health doesn't allow travel off the North American continent anymore.

If you haven't seen this site, it's worth a visit;

https://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/

I have bought both the Condor complete collection and the Dornier 17 M and P CDs. I don't read German, but having original factory documents available certainly helps with detailing! He has no engineering drawings, just flight manuals, spare parts catalogs and erection and maintenance manuals.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, Sabrejet said:

It is part of the aircraft being restored at various locations in Germany: wings and engines with Airbus at Bremen for example. They are using the recovered crash remains of a few Fw 200s (military) to create a civilian machine.

The mid-fuselage (I'm guessing that just the interior would be a replica, with genuine Fw 200 structure) is indeed on display in Berlin, at the Deutsches Technikmuseum - http://www.steffenkahl.de/luftfahrt/focke-wulf-fw-200/

I haven't seen that part but managed to get a look at the wings, engines and landing gear being restored last year:

xx

SJ,

Thanks for the photos- I have been following the restoration progress since I found out about the recovery. What a labor of love! Too bad it won't be an Fw-200C-3/5/8 version, but military or civil, maritime or transport, it's still a beautiful and significant multi-engine airplane. Can't wait to see the finished product. I do have the 1/72  Italeri civil boxing that I snagged years ago, intending to do one of the impressed  Luftwaffe aircraft, but if I build one, it will be one of the maritime raiders.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2