(another) Tiger I

Ian

Well here we go... My first serious foray in to the dark world of WWII German AFV modelling. So to start my 'new direction' I though I'd go with something that everyone has seen before just to try my hand, see where it goes.

nZFnwDT.jpg

GTeDCOm.jpg

fsDXCe9.jpg

Id5jfI0.jpg

This is the Academy Tiger IE 'Early Production' kit just falls together no issues whatsoever (yet - not tried to put the running gear on of course), I won't bore you with the build as for me, this is about the 'colouring in'. I started with an overall black shadow coat as usual. Next I undercoated with a very light misted Tamiya flat brown coat followed by 'Deck Tan' for the highlights and just a spot or three of white for the high, highlights. That done I left it for a day to dry thoroughly.

For the basic 'Dunkelgelb' I mixed Tamiya XF4 'Yellow Green' and XF60 'Dark Yellow' in roughly 30/70 proportions and thinned it with around 30% Iso - unfortunately when I shot the first coat it spattered intermitently so I added more Iso to my mix and got a much smoother flow. As it's very mild here in NZ just now, the model dried really fast on a sunny window-ledge and was ready for camo in an hour. I had a picture in my head of how I wanted the stripes and 'meandering lines' to look, so took a deep breath thinned some 'Field Grey' and shot it freehand using my trusty Iwata BR with the difuser tip removed to get a very fine line.

There are some touch-ups and errors but not too many - for some odd reason I simply cannot get the camo on the barrel to work, but I'll keep plugging-away at it. Once I'm happy with the camouflage I'll shoot a couple of coats of 'Klear' to seal it all in then get the (few) decals on.

Please feel free to make any comment, criticism or ask a question. More soon.

Ian.

• Like 6

Very nice, I like your post-highlighting, I'm thinking of doing something similar for my Firefly. Thanks for the stage shots, they've clarified a few things for me. What's wrong with barrel? Seems fine to me.

Thanks all, very much appreciated. I'll need you lot to 'hold-my-hand' on this one as believe it or not,  after all these many, many years this really is the first Tiger I've ever attempted... As this is written, the decals are on and sealed under a coat of Klear. I'll add the pin-wash next then a couple of brown-based filters.

Stay tuned.

Ian.

Update time:

Varnished (two coats of Klear), and kit decals (cut apart and reorganised to make a different vehicle number).

jDcI0K7.jpg

Pin wash with a 50/50 mix of Paynes Grey and Raw Umber followed by chipping.

jCutpA2.jpg

GpcYvGF.jpg

YxQm8nO.jpg

Next will be more chips (sponge method) then I'll leave it alone over the weekend and next week start with an oil-dot filter to get some rain streaks in. As I said before your feedback and suggestions are not just welcomed but encouraged - will need all the help you can give me.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 1

Personally Ian I think the chipping is a tad overscale and a bit overdone, no tank crew would have allowed it to get to that scale without sorting it out, would you go into battle or fly in an aircraft that is rusting and leaking.  It's the same with oil and fuel stains/leaks we often see, they just would not happen, due to the fire risk and signs of serviceability issues.  I was an aircraft engineer and it's the same when I see weathering on aircraft models, apart from the extreme weathering you see on some Japanese aircraft stationed in the Pacific islands in the late war, chipping and staining didn't occur because aircraft and afv are extensively serviced by ground crews or the vehicle crews.

I think some sponging on some heavy wear areas, some leading edges and some light chipping/scratches would be sufficient.....

Just my opinions mate, as always up to you the builder how you want it to look

Lovely neat looking build, and tidy job on the coats and camo and klear.

As for the chipping, the two colour method does add that extra dimension, but I personally wouldn't use it on every chip.

You said you are going to apply more chipping using the sponge method, and that will create single colour chips. Unfortunately the difference between the sponged chips and the brushed 'two colour' chips will be very pronounced. I think the sponged chipping should be the main method, and the brushed two colour chipping should be greatly limited

I suppose it all depends on the dot filter though, as you say. It may tone down the chipping and bring the sponged and brushed chips together.

It will be interesting to see what effect the filter has.

Rearguards,

Badder