+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

Thank you, Ced! Very kind, as always!

The black primer produces a surface finish that is a joy to look at but it is also ruthlessly revealing of all imperfections. I'll have to go over a few spots and joins and apply another layer of primer before proceeding with the painting.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

After reading through the entire thread from start to finish I'm  very impressed with what you've accomplished so far.

Eagerly looking forward to the next update!

(and possible to acquire one for myself, to make the sole Swedish example)

• Thanks 1

Great work Jaime. She would also look very nice in black, I guess. Good idea to paint the main parts seperated as it is big. Bigger than you would think at a first glance and you can paint the camo on the upper sponsons much easier. Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 12:01, Christer A said:

After reading through the entire thread from start to finish I'm  very impressed with what you've accomplished so far.

Eagerly looking forward to the next update!

(and possible to acquire one for myself, to make the sole Swedish example)

On 2/16/2018 at 12:16, bbudde said:

Great work Jaime. She would also look very nice in black, I guess. Good idea to paint the main parts seperated as it is big. Bigger than you would think at a first glance and you can paint the camo on the upper sponsons much easier. Cheers

On 2/16/2018 at 18:23, TheBaron said:

Steaming along nicely Jaime.

Christer, Benedikt, Tony, thanks very much for the kind words and interest!

I still have to update the thread with the work done earlier in the week, but it's just one or two pictures showing the results of the second phase of seam treatment after the primer application. I didn't manage to do any further work since Tuesday.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

I second what Benedikt said Jaime - post when you're ready - I know, when life gets in the way of modelling, posting on BM can be an added pressure.

Enjoy the modelling and update us as and when you're ready and able. :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bbudde said:

Everything's ok Jaime. Post whenever you like. I'll get that, if I want to. Cheers

17 hours ago, CedB said:

I second what Benedikt said Jaime - post when you're ready - I know, when life gets in the way of modelling, posting on BM can be an added pressure.

Enjoy the modelling and update us as and when you're ready and able. :)

Thanks for the support and interest, Gents! Much appreciated! :)

Jaime

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

I've been extremely busy since mid-February with the day job and German classes, and used the limited available modelling time for slowly progress with this build instead of updating the build thread. I only managed to work on week-ends, since at night, on work days, I was always too tired to consider a session of seam treatment or airbrushing as an exciting prospect.

Anyway, I'm now enjoying a holiday week away from home, and can finally update this thread.

As said above, after applying the first layer of black primer it was evident that several joins and surfaces needed improvement. First, I sanded all the top and bottom surfaces of the wing with medium grain micromesh, as these surfaces had a slightly rough texture. This sanding resulted in smooth surfaces. Next, I had to improve the seams between the three sections of the wing and between the sponsons and fuselage, as well as a few other spots on the fuselage. For this I sanded the joins with 500-grit wet & dry, followed by the application of PPP.

Here's the fuselage after sanding and application of PPP:

y4mlhis4QgRIWh4JiikT2DQHOj9tJbduIV1SYA7q

IMAG5250

y4mq2W0Ypig1sA-GSfP9FRlX6Mu2Osu2fG-Jk2v2

IMAG5251

Unfortunately, after letting the PPP dry, I didn't find the results convincing. So, I decided to improve the same joins using Squadron's white putty, diluted with enamel thinner, and applied with a brush.

Here are the wing and fuselage, while the putty dried:

y4mRu1DnMx_MxZfvtkXeRJmX_cjJir45Clyp9pxN

IMAG5252

I also applied white putty to the engine nacelles, to improve the joins and sink marks, as PPP didn't seem to have solved the problems:

y4mmBsRYlnYA2GhW00JgyYpSWd4T3QYW3yEU_KA1

IMAG5254

After letting the putty dry and sanding the excess, here's how the fuselage looked:

y4mPnVcThuMV7xv70j6A3nPboMrcCKr7QERVzkGr

IMAG5262

y4mJ4y3QXeGrwdSgaahDrXn2EadHjvK2uKO2godK

IMAG5263

The wing looked equally battered, after the additional treatment of the seams between the wing sections:

y4mZSLnujDOyt_jwhGROxirANiVrzrzJdQhwEz36

IMAG5264

y4mIIeTSy53OZol_vkydSPOxTYW-Qb2wk49triXb

IMAG5265

The following pictures show one of the joins at closer inspection (top and bottom views):

y4m5Ed9Zip2YN9ajL5L7-SMzj4Ow2W4ZKdcPMfZ4

IMAG5267

y4mHJGej8JFT9n6M6gJMAealCtzDzTDcwgkC6JDI

IMAG5266

The end result on the engine nacelles:

y4m29Hk40qadmLqWSd1YrYAmwWxzot5o0DyIKHpi

IMAG5268

The results were not perfect but there was an improvement, which was revealed after applying the second coat of black primer:

y4mxhSlgfi1-xhGah6tN09sWPznzL2LTdgG_6j0M

IMAG5275

I decided that the joins were now good enough to proceed to the painting phase, which will be initiated in the following post.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 10

Nice to see this one back in progress. I hadn't heard of white putty thinned with enamel thinner before, I'll make a note of that as it seems to work pretty well!

Ian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice to see this one back in progress. I hadn't heard of white putty thinned with enamel thinner before, I'll make a note of that as it seems to work pretty well!

Ian

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Good work Jaime and pleased to see you overcame the PPP issues. :) 

Ian, Ced, thanks for the interest and support. I'm still updating this thread. Hopefully I'll post some more pictures tonight.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

Here's another post, to bring the thread up to date with the work already done.

With the priming done, I was ready to start painting. However, I decided to use this build to test some flying boat weathering techniques, which are described in the magazine I mentioned in a previous post. To get a feel for the kind of weathering to apply, I looked at pictures of real aircraft. The following are some of the most useful and are all linked from dornier24.com

The following four pictures show where the crew used to walk: on the sponsons, walkway on top of the fuselage and in front of the cockpit and on top of the wing between the engines. These areas are visibly worn in the pictures:

Do-24_p167.jpg

Do-24_p266.jpg

Do-24_p342.jpg

Do-24_p110.jpg

The following two pictures show the weathering of the hull and along the float line:

Do-24_p112.jpg

Do-24_p263.jpg

Based on these pictures, I decided to weather the aircraft as follows:

• chipping of the areas where the crew walked, with a mix of visible metal and primer coat
  • dark grime along the float line
  • chipping of the hull, due to friction with sea water, again with a mix of visible metal and primer coat
  • dark grime and stains on the hull: stronger along panel lines and generally stained on random panels
  • darker panel lines on the top camouflage
  • general faint effect of the top camouflage due to salt water

I'll use a combination of techniques, learnt in the said magazine, which imply the use of a few new weathering products.

To start with, I applied a coat of Alclad Aluminium to the areas subject to chipping: the top surface of the wings and the engine nacelles...

y4m8AqRFlJisUaNwB_o7fHKS4Z7nugjxGSY_FskO

IMAG5277

...the top surface of the sponsons and the fuselage walkways...

y4meRgm7v8IgxWb3SpWufYx426NV8OjekGvayrLZ

IMAG5278

...and the hull and bottom surfaces of the sponsons:

y4mXzh29OoHMdxqIQEWWG9TgllBJdRHpAFKJndP-

IMAG5279

After letting the aluminium paint dry for a few hours, I applied two coats of chipping fluid over the aluminium, giving about one hour drying time between these coats. When the second coat was dry, I painted the metal areas with RLM02, which I guess was the primer colour used in Luftwaffe aircraft. I also applied matte white paint to the areas that will be later painted yellow: the underwing tips and the aft fuselage band.

Here are the results:

y4mobh5kYFIfhW9JlRuBAObGdHCpLzjQ-CriacQw

IMAG5280

y4mhFDejj8JBqKgeHHbO5qsub1dTfAme0eQyzK7K

IMAG5281

y4mGwWfa_3M4ZeKVRK-HSUykkyQ5oIB104sd--NF

IMAG5283

y4mBPbvrdMS2z_TvtpGgDDlpQSd86PFM-znqD12s

IMAG5282

The RLM02 dried for just about 20 or 30 minutes, before I chipped the areas using a stiff brush and the tip of a toothpick. I chipped the surfaces quite a lot, so that I could later get a good mix of metal and primer chipping, without going over the top in the finished model:

y4mTa9T7Un68UiADoSqOf7hzutZ6I-PjBDe64Sef

IMAG5288

y4mECqJ_L6V6O4J-aZUmPTQEGh7sMC3rYzc1yKJ6

IMAG5286

y4mKq_eDnDOcWzjuDqAjMMccVvFDLCLpCiLXxf0c

IMAG5287

I think the effect is very realistic.

I'll leave the remaining work for another post.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 12

19 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Nice chipping effect, how do you find the chipping fluid as opposed to other methods 

Thank you, Neil! Regarding chipping techniques, I've tried using dry-brushing with silver paint, silver-coloured art pencils and chipping fluid. I think the first two are usable for small areas and produce good scratch effects but chipping fluid is the best option for larger areas and for more realistic paint-chipping effects. However, chipping of the paint layer must be done when the paint has just dried. If the paint is too dry, it won't be possible to do any chipping.

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Glad to see this one up and running again. Nice paintwork btw:clap:

John

Thanks for your interest and kind words, John! Your black-cat build was one of the inspirations behind my trying these weathering techniques :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Before proceeding to painting the underside colour, I had to mask the white areas of the wing tips and tail band. However, a better analysis of pictures of the real aircraft showed that the white paint used as primer for the yellow tail band should be closer to the tail plane. So, I had to correct this first.

I applied some masking tape to protect the fuselage in front of the area to correct:

y4m945hQ5WHeujSh_Y9qVMXN-y_ZOOF-ThI-gG9y

IMAG5284

Next, I applied matte white closer to the tail plane and matte black to correct the previously white-painted area in front:

y4mFtB_EIvVByqAIxQWApYrfnOqc3j2TAeehbg3j

IMAG5285

The paint was left to dry for a few hours and, then, I masked the tail band area. First, I applied narrow strips of masking tape to delimit the area. The horizontal strips had a length equal to the tail band decal width, and were used to ensure the proper width for the tail band, which will be painted with RLM04 Yellow:

y4mduvL_MddaP-rhz88wXap30ckeSPxNtsv6JVir

IMAG5291

y4mnJczO2QPQM0cTbAFah0mBBHjqlmQYjCp_rWgy

IMAG5292

Then, the area was totally covered with tape:

y4m6WR7BLqhas7rqLQIMdIRi5iMiDKU6OGnyIUVZ

IMAG5293

Next, the underwing tips were masked. First, I marked the limits of the future yellow area with masking tape:

y4mArGfTZTgY9mekqskMNlHmENQkyRIig08T6OsH

IMAG5294

Then, the area was totally masked, including around the wing edges:

y4mMn_dI47rZ3gA1D7fufyUjR7qel1ic0z_EQAD9

IMAG5295

After finishing the masking, I applied two coats of chipping fluid to the undersides of the hull and sponsons.

Now, I was ready to apply the underside colour: RLM65 light blue.

These are the results after painting:

y4m_nwFHjiC0NQqO7h4WtlNMSPmhWq12OxLZcdnU

IMAG5296

y4mu-vRocE5EeKl9drTHQJpyVpXjlSiWxKRC0Vcd

IMAG5297

I also painted all the small parts that had to be painted RLM65, which took me some time. So, when I got back to the fuselage, to chip the hull and undersides of the sponsons, the paint was already a bit too dry. Even so, I managed to chip it and produce some effects that I think are good enough and not too exaggerated. Anyway, I would advise to start chipping immediately after the paint is dry to the touch.

Here is a general view of the chipping of the hull and sponsons, showing a good mix of metal and primer coat (RLM02) chips. The chipping is not as extensive as in the first phase of chipping the primer coat (shown in the previous post), but that was also my intention, as I didn't want an exaggerated effect:

y4max_PeKGglNLTRhRFb1q6q-QLXYLaNycJGIwrQ

IMAG5298

The following series of pictures show detailed views of the chipping results:

y4mrwQp2w3e287hA83XqJo3uJhKqgny3Et6jnNCZ

IMAG5299

y4mg0sCeODxuS6Vxcaf0LTyHEeXcn9viUGDF6jQ3

IMAG5300

y4mXefqho7APSTciSKa7ZCAjBk8FVb4JWcDfEkDC

IMAG5301

y4mSgO0t_Kf5DkNFgezFO6qEXgVU3I_r4I-NM8IG

IMAG5302

y4m_SzQyHRCsmRQrhfupvEODNbqUWKZpD511kVKS

IMAG5303

y4mUIaS7SfEe0HcgY7XsPlea_5ZUfg354nLzCvUN

IMAG5304

That's all for now. The thread is now up to date. I'll only be able to do further work next week, when I'm back home.

Till then, all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 10

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Jaime, as above very pleasant.  Good to see something from you here again. Cheers Benedikt.

Thank you very much, Benedikt! You're too kind!

Cheers

Jaime