+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the very kind words and best wishes. I also wish you a Happy and successful New Year!

Yes, I won't rush the build and I'll try to apply a few new painting techniques, namely black Primer,  for the first time.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

I've been slowly progressing on this build since the last update but haven't had the time to post the latest work. With the GB in the voting phase I have now some more time, so here it goes.

In the previous progress report I mentioned the fuselage joins near the tail had cracked. The cracks were repaired with TET but I decided to reinforce the joins applying some CA inside the fuselage. To do this, I removed the masking from the mid-ship gun turret opening and applied a fair amount of medium-thick CA on the lower join through both this and the tail turret opening. Then I tilted the fuselage at an angle, with the nose pointing down, so that the glue would slowly flow along the lower join, from the tail to the cockpit area. A similar procedure was used to apply CA inside the top join between the mid-ship opening and the tail, now with the fuselage upside-down and tilting it with the tail pointing down.

The following picture shows the glue already dry along the bottom fuselage join, as seen through the mid-ship turret opening:

y4mIPbkmvk2yrd37PAEY6NHNo_ESje6JjrQcRrdY

IAMG5207

The fuselage was clamped while the CA was still curing and left alone for a day:

y4mGrfV2M0oLkXbfOPXKSIuAg1D0rDsVgoDs_m4v

IMAG5208

After this, I took care of the joins between the tail assembly and the fuselage. CA was applied first to fill in the gaps, followed by PPP:

y4mc_46BJOVVUxXntYSdAlSyMFcBfNb2rqS3bW86

IMAG5209

y4m_9h80WqX_9gqVxDrArKqNhcEC0pUVm6KISsRt

IMAG5210

After some sanding and polishing along the joins and base, this "thingy" was glued to the top walkway, as per the instructions (certainly not one of Italeri's finest achievements...):

y4mbLMLE2CyUYQk20bkzu6ezhEcTAsKr44gt24bg

IMAG5211

The remaining PE parts for the fuselage were bent:

y4m1ABzlh9bYpeeBQNjPi6dnkyWc1n_AY0KK2-K6

IMAG5214

The smaller ones were glued in place in front of the cockpit:

y4m5y7FdaGnWmCPO_PbP14CK2n7CstbYPH3Ftr3_

IMAG5215

The larger ones were slightly curved in order to better fit to the rear fuselage:

y4mFTWhB9UvFVAl8P1P4dLZEl4QWAlJrYNDAZWLG

IMAG5216

y4mzpmuTHDVKxiyuVwvWXru_lhwEx-QmkubnlUSu

IMAG5217

To be continued.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 12

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice work on the joins Jaime and I think you've sorted them now, fingers crossed! :)

20 minutes ago, Kahunaminor said:

I'd be happy with those joins. I am curious to see how it turns out.

Regards,

Ced, Kent, thanks!

I hope the joins are now sorted out. The fit was so good when I joined the two halves to close the fuselage that I only applied TET along the joins and relied on the capillary action. That didn't make them strong enough. I've seen BMers using other types of glue for glueing together large parts (e.g.: 24h epoxy?). Any recommendations?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Another update of work from last week.

There's a support part in the kit for the tail turret but the instructions are not very clear on how to install these parts. In order to try and clarify this, I looked at the following pictures, available at dornier24.com:

Do-24_p256.jpg

Do-24_p043.jpg

My first interpretation of the pictures lead me to install the turret base like this (the opening of the part is already masked with tape):

y4m8-Hw8KjVgg1rCUqbZ4wvinQfc7V0iCK6318C2

IMAG5212

However, I wasn't completely satisfied because when the turret was installed, it didn't look quite like the picture. So, I removed the turret base and managed to install it in the tail opening, like this:

y4mux74syw8CoJejHOPaUrgkRbMGZLwM0DBNH6qU

IMAG5218

The opening was masked:

y4mIuIoxMoh_QpQN9NvKwfSFYRoX5he5DObTdBQ2

IMAG5220

Now the bottom edge of the turret fits flush with the tail but I'll have to paint a strip around the turret, to simulate the metal structure that can be seen in the picture on the lower part of the turret.

To be continued.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 9

Nice turret Jaime, that looks much better :)

I use TET for joins (and sometimes touch-n-flow weld) but I always make sure to press the parts together and get the plastic flowing - I guess it's easy with capillary flow that it misses some parts or that the slightly melted plastic doesn't 'set together'. It also makes sure there are fewer 'gaps' to fill! HTH

• Like 1

I do the same, Ced. I always try to make the plastic ooze out, to act as "natural" filler. In this case, there were sections of the joins where no oozing occurred, despite pressing and clamping. Maybe that explains the weaker joins.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I completely missed that in my build, Jaime, but Italeri didn't do any favours with the structure around the rear turret. By the looks of it, the bulge in the hull should be lower, so that the turret support/base sits more or less flush with the upper hull (deck? Do flying boats have hulls and decks, or are they still fuselages?). The angle of the photo may be misleading but it looks as though there should not be a slope down from the elevators to the turret.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for looking!

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

By the looks of it, the bulge in the hull should be lower, so that the turret support/base sits more or less flush with the upper hull

The ring that stands slightly proud of the upper hull/deck (I don't know either :) ) fits the inside of the turret. The turret base will sit flush with the hull/deck (that again...)

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

The angle of the photo may be misleading but it looks as though there should not be a slope down from the elevators to the turret

Yes, the angle of the photo is misleading. When the aircraft sits properly (like when the real thing was floating still on water), the slope from the tail plane to the tail turret is very slight.

I'd say Italeri did here not too bad an approximation to the real aircraft but the instructions should be clearer.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Dear All,

I'm currently very busy with my day job and I'll have another German test this coming Monday. So, I don't think I'll have time to continue the build before Tuesday and I may need more time than expected to finish the build. Therefore, I decided to move the build to the Aircraft WIP area.

Hopefully, I'll finish it by the end of January or early February.

I still have work from last week to post, so that the thread becomes up to date.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

Great to see this build continuing Jaime!

Some lovely progress with the PE and tail-work.:thumbsup2:

The very best of luck with the German test on Monday.

(BTW I've picked up 'The German Genius' book again myself!:D)

Tony

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Great to see this build continuing Jaime!

Some lovely progress with the PE and tail-work.:thumbsup2:

The very best of luck with the German test on Monday.

(BTW I've picked up 'The German Genius' book again myself!:D)

Tony

Hi Tony!

Thanks for your interest in the build and the best wishes for my test!

I'm still reading the book myself. I've reached the Weimar Republic period and the Expressionist cinema. I've even bought "The cabinet of Dr Caligari" in blu-ray, the first important film of the period. I found the film by chance in a Book/Film/Music/Electronics Megastore and it's the restored version which was shown in 2014 in the Berlin Film Festival.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello, looking good on the aft turret. Hope it will match like on the original photo. Also good to see you moved here  with your thread after the deadline. So you can surely expect more visitors again. Cheers from a slightly windy Germany.

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt! I hope to bring the thread up to date in the next few days and get back to working on the build early next week. After my German test on Monday ;)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

This is a long due update, to show the point I reached by the end of the GB. I've been terribly busy in the last two weeks with work in the office and the final stretch of the semester in my German course, so I only managed to get back here today.

So, after solving the installation of the tail turret base, there were still a few parts to glue to the fuselage.

These are the mooring heads (?):

y4mmdfHKoV-nQAC2n2frINhMcSaWSDLjqRE14HdY

IMAG5221

Two are glued to the front of the fuselage:

y4mf_ju8DAqbMGpPrGsJLUS4C2zS6E9j4FUwdApB

IMAG5222

Two on each sponson:

y4m-iX-FLnOCGWVRTxvAi_cOR422FDg-b7w_2X_d

IMAG5223

Two on the aft fuselage:

y4mRbzjZ3s_P9OD4oWTtCZ5Lxcnv12sJOTBQT0St

IMAG5224

The remaining parts go on the tail:

y4mFodNlMIxxMVqO5BCWh3wVF43NFhvNAwvS43z8

IMAG5225

And here is the fuselage ready for priming:

y4mKzHo6x2poAN4Hi-GpdsRXgD3Ck0jB0EElsvXk

IMAG5226

But before priming, there's still a lot of work to do. The engines must be assembled first. Here they are in different phases of the assembly procedure:

y4m-KObTyjKnjWOFtoiiwnxP8y1k8U1WNTIXQ9B5

IMAG5227

And finally, the completed engines:

y4mEajhbxQi5YIiYTSgNkpwHiSDQTa4QaO4mA_PV

IMAG5228

The fit was quite good. I just have to do some tidying up on the joins.

That's as far as I managed to go within the GB. The next update will already be post-GB work.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 10

Thanks, Ced!

41 minutes ago, CedB said:

Those cleats (I think that’s what they’re called)

Thanks for the clarification, I don't even know how these things are called in Portuguese...:blush:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Another post, to bring the thread up to date with the work done till now.

I want to prime all parts in one session. So, there are still things to do before being able to do that.

One of those things is enhancing the tail turret. As can be seen in the picture of the real thing, which I repost below, the turret had a metal base and a framed plexiglass dome:

Do-24_p043.jpg

The kit part is just a framed dome but the dimensions are correct (height x diameter) so it's possible to paint the metal frame around the transparent part. For that, I took some measurements from the picture and the kit part to determine the height of the metal base:

y4mCgwfnIV2_QZjQXJZwANPXPpHCL7yyXzc7pIzw

IMAG5229

I cut a strip of masking tape of the correct width and applied it around the lower part of the turret, to serve as a template for masking the top of the part:

y4mzzuD4NRnM1YTFcWUteepGWgcnDIMK693Z2Pph

IMAG5230

Next, I started masking the top of the turret. Due to the curvature, the first strip of masking tape above the template had to be quite narrow in order the get a straight edge:

y4mZ7TnVnsgNzWBme2xVApeGUfe7M52kh-QK-rBp

IMAG5231

The top could then be masked without any further difficulties:

y4mHEBDYcHWsGav6NfnJZu8ZMAjNrgyGkfU6gfF1

IMAG5232

The template was removed and the part was put on a toothpick, ready for painting:

y4m3jCZAXOBx0D9Vp02e7H8ZowRBjk0L60p2r2mV

IMAG5233

Finally, the interior colour RLM02 was applied:

y4mwx2tlns-Hnzdl1MTvrYpmQgpo_L4Qtg7fc-iq

IMAG5234

Black primer will later be applied to this area of the turret, when I prime the fuselage, wing and all other remaining external parts.

After this I removed from the sprues and cleaned several parts like wing struts and other external parts. I haven't finished this work yet. When it's finished I'll post some pictures and will be able, at last, to prime everything.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 6

Hi Jaime

Lovely work here - great to see this progressing after the GB.  The rear turret looks good and a much better presentation against your reference photo.  The Do24 at Soesterberg has a different rear turret again, so clearly lots of opportunity for making a personal statement!!

Also seems clear once again that this updated Italeri kit is way better than the earlier boxing I have waiting to be built.

Take Care - looking forward to the next installments

Andrew

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SeaPlane said:

Hi Jaime

Lovely work here - great to see this progressing after the GB.  The rear turret looks good and a much better presentation against your reference photo.  The Do24 at Soesterberg has a different rear turret again, so clearly lots of opportunity for making a personal statement!!

Also seems clear once again that this updated Italeri kit is way better than the earlier boxing I have waiting to be built.

Take Care - looking forward to the next installments

Andrew

Thank you, Andrew! Very kind!

Regarding the tail turret, the pictures I'm using as reference are for a Luftwaffe Do 24T like the kit and the instructions show the same kind of tail turret in the colour scheme I'm doing. Here's a detailed view:

y4mpeuwTi6RGfxYKYlkvf3x_kJYMiXSLcUm2ZAaR

IMAG4908c

It seems the configuration of turrets could vary. One of the options in this kit (the Spanish colour scheme) only has the mid-fuselage turret.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That continues to grow ever more attractive the more you do to it Jaime!

:thumbsup:

Tony

That's extremely kind, Tony, especially coming from a master modeller like you :worthy:

53 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Beautiful work as ever!! The effort you put in to these builds is great viewing, nice work

Rob

Thank you very much, Rob! Very kind, as always!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2
  • Haha 1