+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

20 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm afraid it's now almost impossible for me to finish the build in time and it's not due to encouraging others: real life always demands most of my time and energy. Anyway, I'll go on building it to completion. As I've been telling other participants, there's no point rushing the build and end up with a sub-standard end result.

Thanks again.

Jaime

Hi Jaime,

Sorry to hear that you won't get it finished in time, but it really must've taken a lot of your effort to keep on top of this pretty big (and fantastic) GB.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of it in WIP and RFI.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

@Dazey, @CedB, thanks for your interest and incentive! Though it's a lot of effort managing the GB, I can't blame my delay in finishing my entry on it. In fact, I started my build one month after the start of the GB (I was trying to finish my entry to the Mig-29 GB, which I didn't...) and had a one month-long block after painting the cockpit parts, till I got the motivation back to weather them and proceed with the build.

I've progressed a bit on the Do 24 this week and hope to get to the priming stage by the end of the GB. I'll update the thread as soon as possible.

This year I intend to participate in a few GBs in which I can finish some of my staled builds. The first one will be the Hawker GB and I plan to participate with my Harrier GR.3 and, if all goes well, with a Typhoon and a Tempest. Later, I hope to enter the RAF Anniversary GB with my staled Defiant and Tiger Moth. If I managed to finish these, it would make 2018 a very successful modelling year!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Here's an update of work done this last week.

I tried again to bend the edges of the big PE walkway. First, I used a nº 10 blade to make a cut along the bending lines of the PE part. Then, I used the bending tool to try and bend the edges. The bending tool didn't manage to bend the part, because the edges are too narrow for a proper grip but I slightly curved the edges nonetheless. Then, using a pair of straight-nose PE pliers, I curved the edges a bit more. They ended up a bit bent, though not at straight angles to the base of the walkway. Better than nothing, I guess.

The shorter walkway, that goes in front of the cockpit, was filed on its straight end to fit in place and was also slightly curved, using a PE curving tool, to better conform to the shape of the front fuselage.

After this, I glued the walkways in place. I used slow CA but it wasn't slow enough and the long walkway got a bit misaligned. The short walkway slotted in place perfectly.

Here's a general view of the two walkways in place:

y4mE63A7cupnyANxQNd87rOMdGgMa7TrAaAAtm8m

IMAG5187

A more detailed view of the front walkway:

y4mmltBnJtlZS3BNfix8EtxrYBTwZ8ig7j0vmxFb

IMAG5191

y4mCiqcRBNHkFFNpvDgB1wIOuqyt8_UHIHY2cNDM

IMAG5188

A more detailed view of the long walkway, which is slightly misaligned in the longitudinal direction and isn't completely flush with the fuselage on the port side:

y4mOt8I_LFq1pNVewpUE77a6Z3zV5OnwIuMxMNZD

IMAG5189

y4mWrdD9jmMD5RBuCwN7K7e1xJa-STo8MHhNie3F

IMAG5190

Top view:

y4mHdLuejYKqQMrKogq3-0yFgaAemKKL4Q5G91vs

IMAG5192

Next, I glued the sponsons to the fuselage and used a Lego rig to ensure a proper alignment while the glue cured:

y4mCQuIXBOeCfN1AEnDVmk5fXq7zwnuwWPaKFr-R

IMAG5193

I had to scrap a bit of plastic off the top edge of the slots in the fuselage where the sponsons attached, in order to avoid a step between the fuselage and the sponsons. Anyway, there remain joins to be filled in:

y4m16EBqdNL8xlr9UYcOQXCYyGzT300h6PTIn7OA

IMAG5194

y4mgR_XxGNfMtMs9JAulqGhEHkIMKrgzaj7mLCcY

IMAG5195

The joins where filled in with PPP and some PPP was applied along the top-bottom joins of the sponsons' parts:

y4mCbRZ2lPuet4C9kCBR_djivPqaNK_2jM07fsz7

IMAG5196

y4mPdRDT4znOfRNsqndvR4DiC6r-zIo7ThMeADSl

IMAG5197

The excess PPP has already been cleaned from the sponsons, wing and tail assembly but I'll have to give them another PPP application, this time more carefully, on some very small gaps that are still visible.

After that I'll have to mask the side windows of the fuselage, glue the tail to the fuselage and prime everything. I intend to prime and paint the wing and fuselage separately, to ease the painting process. I'll use Alclad black primer, to have a pre-shade effect, which will be my first try of this technique (i.e.: black primer as pre-shade).

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Work done yesterday.

I spent a bit of time on another round of applying PPP to several joins (mainly "micro" gaps) in the tail assembly, wings and sponsons.

While the putty dried, I decided to mask the fuselage windows. The rectangular (-ish) windows aft of the canopy were a relatively simple matter of applying masking tape, mark the edges with a toothpick and cutting the tape with a sharp nº 11 blade. For the round windows I used an Eduard PE circles template and chose a 4 mm diameter circle to cut pieces of tape:

y4miYAIjGCqUJaBk7CBj-UGWLZmn4XEYrJeE8oGJ

IMAG5198

Here's the end result:

y4m8GHoMMQ_69FVWaz5Xnib4mj3U1BxPT46tHwOx

IMAG5199

y4m_qP0PwGQADeah4QlTKwUJIkIuPQKx0ndA_Njo

IMAG51200

While I was manipulating the fuselage a small section of the bottom join between the fuselage halves cracked open and I had to apply glue to close it again. So, the fuselage was clamped and put away for the glue to cure.

I decided to move to the engines in the meanwhile. Here are the engine parts:

y4mGsNE1Y45O013DoMZmFSaHZYuZU3w_XmS0lDrw

IMAG5201

I did a test fit of the parts. The cowling parts and engine fit well:

y4miD57azynX15qi9E9ybsnLP0KBLS5XgiJMGA92

IMAG5202

The star-shaped part goes on top on the engine:

y4mEIjocDyM-sBPnFfurLMsSl_4ATbbhZ-MJVcZ9

IMAG5203

The front part of the cowling also fits well but is not perfectly flush with the other cowling parts:

y4mcCgax9RuZc4qgap-ryhzimTFkIXPI6zj7fV_I

IMAG5204

I found a few moulding blemishes on the inner surfaces of the cowling parts, just in front of the engine position, which I removed with a nº 11 blade. Now I'll have to repair the inner matt black paint, before I can assemble the engines.

To be continued.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 8

Thanks Benedikt! I haven't rescribed the panel lines: this is Italeri's retooled Do 24, with recessed panel lines. I still haven't painted it either.

Cheers

Jaime

Nice work Jaime, those engines look great :)

Have you tried using a No 6 blade for cutting the masks? I find it easier to push a #6 than pull a #10, following Paul Budzik's guidance on canopy masking. Worth a try.

Paul's revising his YouTube channel at the moment but, in brief, with the curved blade you can push it down the cut line using the point of the blade as a guide, easier than trying to pull a straight blade along a line you can't see.

HTH

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the interest and for the tip, Ced! I'll give it a try the next time I have to cut my own masks!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Update of work done today.

I repaired the matt black paint on the inner surfaces of the engine cowlings. I also painted the gun turrets frames with matt black, as the model will be black primed. The frames had already been painted RLM02. Again, I painted the frames by hand with a nº 0 detail brush:

y4mu8iw1LzYIMXM6Zk0jdc7Z__GdxeBTSoU0pp7f

IMAG5206

Next, I spent quite some time cleaning the excess PPP from the joins in the tail assembly, wings and sponsons. Primer will tell if this operation was successful or not.

Finally, I glued the tail assembly to the fuselage:

y4m6SSCnTxN7DkvVQl-E6SjXnRGsDQmq1ORkj1MO

IMAG5205

As can be seen, the front- and mid-turret openings are already masked.

I think I managed to keep the tail assembly horizontal. However, another section of the fuselage joins cracked open, this time both the top and bottom joins near the tail. I applied TET and a clamp to close the fuselage again. Later I'll remove the mid-turret opening masking in order to apply thin CA to the inner side of the joins.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 5

This is beginning to look like an aeroplane now. You have made a very good job of the engines and the filling of the gaps on the fuselage. This should look very good indeed when finished - and another Dornier to add to the family!

P

• Like 1

Hello, coming along very nice. The tail seems to fit nicely. Italeri where ahead in kind of fitting, glazing, shape and detail in these times (70-80, although refitted by now). Nice turrets paintings. Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt! The fit in this kit is very good. However, I had to adjust the fit of the tail in order to keep it horizontal as the tolerances allow some variation in the positioning. If think I succeeded, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Ced, Tony, thanks for the kind words and interest!

Last night I spent some time repairing the fuselage joins that cracked when I glued the tail assembly in place and also took care of the joins between the fuselage and tail assembly. I'll post some pictures later.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank you CC, that's very kind! I'm not sure I'll finish her in the GB but I hope to finish it, at least, in January.

I still have a lot of work to do on her and I have a major homework to do for my German classes, which I have to present next Monday, so I'm not sure I'll be able to do much on the build till Sunday.

Cheers

Jaime

• Sad 2

Great work here Jaime - I look forward to seeing the completed plane at the appropriate time, i.e when its ready, not when its rushed!

While I have the opportunity - many thanks for a great Group Build, I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience through the build, the community, great support, wonderful comment and advice and many congrats on the management.

Happy New Year to You and Yours

Regards

Andrew

• Thanks 1