+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks great so far; (Italeri did a good job on the new interior) with a careful amount of work on that of course! Cheers

Thanks! I still have some tidying up to do and a wash to apply before calling the interior done.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks very much, Johnny, much appreciated! Next time I'll use black primer. At least it saves the pre-shading step :) Anyway, the problem was my fear of ending up with an overdone effect.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear all,

First, I was away from this build for more than a month due to real life obligations. Then, I managed to get back to it by the end of November. However, I still didn't have the time to update the thread. Now that I'm away from the bench for Season's Holidays for a week, I'll finally have the time to show what I've achieved.

In my last update I had applied all the basic colours to the cockpit parts (also to the propellers, engine parts and guns). So, I resumed work by tidying up a few spots in the paint job of the cockpit parts, followed by a series of weathering steps.

My first weathering step was dry-brushing the raised detail and edges of the cockpit parts with a lighter tone of each of the colours. This was done for the base colour RLM02, mixing a few drops of white to make it lighter. The black parts were dry-brushed with RLM66 (a very dark grey). The seats' cushions, which are RLM70, were also dry-brushed by mixing RLM70 with a few drops of white.

Next, I did some metallic chipping of the cockpit parts using a silver pencil. I also used the silver pencil to chip the leading edges of the propeller blades. This produced very satisfying results.

The cockpit parts were, then, coated with Aqua Gloss, to seal the previous weathering steps, in preparation for a wash. After drying, I applied a dark brown wash:

y4mH7s-L9c_M7B1eyemsD9ffEVVpXoWZyV5iBMuf

IMAG5121

After letting the wash dry, all cockpit parts were flat coated with Alclad Flat Kote. The following pictures show the end result for the cockpit parts.

The cockpit base:

y4ms2DylSza7sB-zAI0oCAsvP_x0efY2EyvCqz6r

IMAG5126

y4mnqxZI3tdcvvRs_5Ab-mBFHjMbWi8l96o3gD0C

IMAG5127

The PE instrument panel with some metallic chipping and Aqua Gloss on the instrument faces. It's a pity that Italleri didn't provide a decal for the instruments:

y4m9li_2oL-w0k8DXVBF6sZJ4POtXSL0FZlhIH9p

IMAG5128

The side panels to the pilot and co-pilot seats:

y4mHJPA1fX7CF4JAA1ajoPsFjswU3EHebmTBjcUz

IMAG5129

The pilot and co-pilot seats:

y4mApUzrxNKh7uag1KKg52xIU5HrE72h7h-lPFLy

IMAG5130

The front and back of the bulkhead parts:

y4mTI4BggB9Grh4CG_gUZgHznv696LIs-I6QrFok

IMAG5131

y4m-gXvcgnV_yDoqUJ6B1Lsk3e5KLKWO8J_22GaO

IMAG5132

Parts for the radio operator position and the door between the cockpit and radio operator compartments:

y4mIx7YgOPVPZNWsFeFrAAEN9SwyNxHxtOdo_Pn6

IMAG5133

The PE seat belts were also finished with a wash and flat coat:

y4mVicFNSBMCtnH0VLnG0B4AKHL8_WEQFWrUw4_z

IMAG5124

The engines were treated with silver, steel and black metal dry-brush, in this sequence, to highlight the cylinder detail, and a final oil grime coat:

y4mzxXgnaMZk1s1Y6_MLoGZtBMj2Q23FBoxreJGn

IMAG5125

Here is the end result for the propellers, already flat coated:

y4mu-Ongogrslcr6eUNR0Upc6kUwNRq7bwPhiQAK

IMAG5134

To be continued in the next post.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 6

Continuing with the update of the thread.

With all the cockpit parts weathered, I started assembling the cockpit. First, I applied the PE seatbelts to the seats:

y4mqxNL7lAuESSFRwI4vupFHKUfEi1D2RciuI5Ap

IMAG5136

The seats and other parts were applied to the cockpit base:

y4mSQDg-vDqvDQAI7UxTPuGN5l8U21gCsK5xvYIR

IMAG5137

y4mDkxi1p_kDYC2rfTaPBxPWIZRYK3dhsn8R5b1r

IMAG5138

This was followed by the bulkheads between the cockpit and radio compartment and at the end of this compartment:

y4mxfYlhRUb7-n-TMJX5RKcCg_Z9hOlDlL1-hy0P

IMAG5139

The PE instrument panel was glued in place:

y4mFelUltWL7GKlhTYv3KPePQc7EAbWrr-g28t6A

IMAG5140

Finally, this front bulkhead with the instrument panel and the side panels were glued to the front and sides of the cockpit assembly.

The following series of pictures show the end result:

y4mnJeD3Z_dCstNNduZUDqg11cSHU0ITwRPg4VYX

IMAG5141

y4mHXwi3131JS1qjWAgjPHNE-cPbg-4ngDajgi-K

IMAG5142

y4mVmWMwy8ouhNxjBRJWEOwYXc1aZXZsENv_i6kB

IMAG5144

y4m0IBjchWeU2vYH32E-FY6GbFnylX9vBtIiQnF5

IMAG5145

y4mJ9uasYvil8mBdCHZGrTeUfHPWg_kAVIh2beZr

IMAG5146

y4m2qHj8b3Nh2mzu8HZmmDqQl6X_A3nbpYWcEICm

IMAG5147

y4m_E30fBOmTS36-EjiuPYTya2IUov10bA0pwDe8

IMAG5148

To be continued.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 7

Continuing...

It was time to take care of the transparent parts. Here are the tools used to remove them from the sprue and clean the attachment points. To avoid damage I start by using a micro-saw, followed by the blades to remove excess sprue and the sanding sticks to finish off:

y4me1HbckaHGKfnQNpBify6Skkb9YTETAY_moJPb

IMAG5122

Here they are, off the sprue:

y4mt6V6A8Y1FjuD-zDv-ryrpcwH0BAlcnubTWFzu

IMAG5123

These parts were, then, washed in warm water and dishwasher detergent and left to dry for a day. Next, they were given a bath of Aqua Gloss, to improve transparency and brilliance. Unfortunately, the improvement isn't great, as the parts have a bit of distortion.

According to the instructions, the gun turrets should be inserted between the fuselage halves when closing the fuselage. I intended to do this, which implied installing the guns in the turrets and a complicated masking job later, with a high probability of damaging the guns while handling the model during subsequent building, painting and weathering stages. So, I thought better and decided to adopt Chris' (@amblypygid) approach in his Aeronavale Dornier build: I cut the base ring from the front and mid turrets (using a micro-saw), so these turrets can be installed in the end of the build:

y4mRCHQYTXwIkqOMOzIpr2d9MESyX32NY_fQxX47

IMAG5149

The frames of the turrets will be hand painted, since they are fairly well demarcated as raised lines. But the canopy was masked for airbrushing:

y4mSQbod-h_QlaNWyA0fCdpXdML7UqkllNU5stD-

IMAG5150

The base rings and turrets were mounted on toothpicks for easier handling during painting. The rings will be also airbrushed:

y4mC_fjj6Ch6b-5ztZr-vat_X3FLiwUC8M0bsurY

IMAG5151

Finally, the fuselage windows were glued in place. For this I used Revell 's Contacta glue for transparencies and let it cure for one day. Then, applied CA around the interior edges of the windows to ensure a strong bond to the fuselage and avoid any of them to get pushed and lost into the fuselage while handling the model. I also repaired some damages to the Aqua Gloss coat but this was a bit useless since the windows are thick and full  of distortion:

y4mZbJ8WwqPRmP9wTib6bYEeLgxaHiTBZnepqueg

IMAG5152

To be continued.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Wow Jamie, that cockpit interior looks the business: superb finish there. The engines and propellors also look very good - I especially like the chipping which is sufficiently restrained to look very convincing. I di hope that you can get more done before the deadline - I would really like to see one of your models in the gallery.

P

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

Wow Jamie, that cockpit interior looks the business: superb finish there. The engines and propellors also look very good - I especially like the chipping which is sufficiently restrained to look very convincing. I di hope that you can get more done before the deadline - I would really like to see one of your models in the gallery.

P

Thank you very much pheonix! This was my first attempt at chipping with a silver pencil and I also think it produces good results, at least for small areas, being a quicker and easier method than using a metallic paint layer, chipping fluid and scrapping the base colour. I'd also like to finish this one in time but I'll only be able to resume work after Christmas.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Your usual superb work and a finely detailed cockpit Jaime - nice work! :)

Thank you very much, Ced! Very kind and much appreciated!

I still need one or two more posts to get the thread up to date.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Quite seriously good looking work on both the interior and the glassworks Jaime. I agree with Phoenix about the restraint of your wear & tear effects - really nice results!

:thumbsup:

Tony

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Quite seriously good looking work on both the interior and the glassworks Jaime. I agree with Phoenix about the restraint of your wear & tear effects - really nice results!

:thumbsup:

Tony

Thank you very much, Tony! Much appreciated!

I'm afraid the transparencies are not the best to show the interior. However, I know it's there and can always go back to the pictures :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Continuing with the thread updating.

The next phase was the closing of the fuselage. First, I glued the cockpit sub-assembly to the inside of the starboard fuselage half:

y4mlcpsQOL3JqMqwKW5KwWyQWFvJcqJdqhwJ-8Y6

IMAG5154

Next, I glued the ring bases of the gun turrets in place:

y4m2xANccWwbRbMpExEzM0LSboaCiiODPFoAauOH

IMAG5155

Finally, the fuselage halves were glued together by slowly applying Tamiya's Extra Thin glue in small stretches along the joins. The fit is rather good but despite this and all my efforts to the contrary, I managed to produce a slight vertical misalignment between the fuselage halves, resulting in a slight step along the joins. Here we can see the fuselage halves clamped together while the glue cured overnight:

y4mZLoAyhQPO3G0dd4JOrl5JNoK4vyk7f4zyHrDT

IMAG5156

The next day I glued the canopy in place. The fit on the sides and top is rather good:

y4mQd5Yc0stJAbZ2tds_ELdvEAJ4gWbSPCpKhjEu

IMAG5157

But there are some gaps to fill in, due to the slight misalignment of the fuselage halves:

y4mCHI-VhyGw8CbzLlFwv9SUXJHgLObciQgyhk4c

IMAG5160

Another problem I found is that the canopy is slightly wider than the fuselage, as can be seen here:

y4meZNX2jNWltdbEkcbaL2-GiRMul8bGpct-IW-C

IMAG5158

If we look at pictures of the real machine, we see that the front lateral window could slide back over the window section with the V frame, which should be flush with the fuselage:

Do-24_p603.jpg

It seems that Italeri didn't bother moulding the rear section of the canopy (the section of the windows with the V frame) flush to the fuselage, while keeping the front lateral window slightly proud and aligned with the rails on the fuselage. Or perhaps it would be too difficult to mould the canopy piece this way.

Anyway, there wasn't much that could be done without a complicated surgical operation and risking damaging the canopy part, so I decided to live with this state of affairs. I just filled in the gaps between the canopy and fuselage. For that I used Squadron's White Putty diluted with enamel thinner and mixed with a few drops of RLM02, to blend in with the cockpit interior colour. This was applied to the gaps with a number 0 brush. Here are the results, which were left to dry and will be tidied up when I return to the bench after Christmas:

y4m-yGMsHo3TV9_llpkgtUPTO9UrOhCn_t5FIXez

IMAG5163

y4mHoxUCRUcsaa_ipHYptq84Cy_5NrMAYH4Kyywm

IMAG5164

y4mn4o6W55rp_1-qnqCblckEKK6sVbFU1Dw3pJon

IMAG5165

To be continued.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3

There were still some big parts to be glued together.

First, the lateral winglets that act as floaters (what's really their name?):

y4mq_H00GZfQP-jaw0vNFUVeeLe3Xethq_8vyWxl

IMAG5161

The tail plane and double fins with rudders:

y4mN8Bl1wUXJAXLkYtAAA_7c3S0zQ7lwbCAnyqW7

IMAG5162

The fit of the above parts was so good that I just applied TET along the joins and applied some clamping with clothes pegs and let the parts dry.

There were some joins to improve on the tail sub-assemly, nonetheless. I used Perfect Plastic Putty here:

y4mS_Ghz30cs37-nzzyChwzWgdKafbqy3de7oNwF

IMAG5166

The following big challenge was gluing the wing,  which is made up of three sections, each made up of a top and a bottom part. Initially I thought the best approach would be to glue the top parts together, to ensure aperfect alignment of the top parts, and then glue the bottom parts. However, test fits led me to conclude that it would be safer to glue the part of each section together and then glue the three sections, as the fit between these was good.

So, here are the three sections clamped while the glue cured. I used medium thick Tamiya glue:

y4mrCC3tjZCCWOWf8RcTOSTaQeJ1uSA1Z0iIkpgT

IMAG5167

The three sections were glued together and placed to rest over a LEGO gig, which would ensure a symmetrical dihedral of the outboard sections:

y4mxvk7HXB_8e_g9rQ3aLzuoYZ5TXVX-Otz3c6_1

IMAG5168

y4mG90K9bF9zJPEtpc2hwxku2MqeXDsU3aWvmMfm

IMAG5170

To further ensure the proper settling of the wing to the jig, weights in the form of filled paint jars were applied over the joins of the centre and outboard sections of the wing:

y4m75WS76JfMBxIsesr4WVm9M-6xFaqVQV-CvU57

IMAG5171

This was left to cure overnight and the final result was very satisfying.

There were gaps along the joins of the wing sections which were filled in with PPP. Here are the results after cleaning:

y4mThM1G2TM3_KrWKyMSi9TXQPZNoLR6Y5-3K3YZ

IMAG5172

y4mxCG_ibv2fEVTiX2OB8iwzZLgaKD9mf9i4iB3y

IMAG5173

This is as far as I managed to go before going away on Christmas holidays. The thread is now up to date.

I still need to finish cleaning the wing joins along the leading and trailing edges, the tail sub-assemblies and the fuselage joins. Then, the tail and wing-lets will be glued to the fuselage and the painting phase will be initiated. I'll paint the wing and fuselage separately and glue them together in the end.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Nice tidy work as usual Jaime - good job :)

5 hours ago, jrlx said:

the lateral winglets that act as floaters (what's really their name?)

I know the answer is somewhere in The Baron's thread... sponsons?

• Like 2

That is really developing into a very fine model. The wings look spot on to me - well done with that. (I approve of the jig BTW). I think that you would be asking rather a lot of a kit manufacturer to procuce a canopy which represents the sliding window - that is a very thin section and would be difficult to make the mould for. In any event the cockpit canopy looks very good and apart from the odd anorak I doubt whether anyone would know!

P

• Like 1

Ced, pheonix,

Thanks for the interest and kind words!

Ced, thanks for pointing out the correct name of the sponsons. I knew I've read it somewhere but couldn't recall where exactly.

This thread is again on hold till after Christmas, as I'm in Porto for the season's festivities with my folks. That will leave me with less than two weeks to finish the model in time. Let's see if I manage to do it.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2