+++ FINISHED! +++ Dornier Do 24T, Luftwaffe Seenotgruppe 3, 1942 (Italeri 1/72)

jrlx

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I spent my modelling time in September trying to finish my MiG-29 in time for the MiG-29 STGB. As usual, I didn't make it. I'm still working on it but this last week I finally started my entry to this GB.

So, I started by removing the main parts off the sprues. Here are the fuselage halves and the lateral floaters:

y4mIZFjANvSjbkLJR__1BldQvlZU7uND4BsU1034

IAMG5023

The parts were joined together with tape to check fit. Fit seems to be good and the panel lines are properly aligned:

y4maOhrXZAeSA-lE8TFdyYb2uWM5OuwiF0Qz_tM7

IMAG5024

Next off the sprues were the wing parts and tail parts. The wing is made up of six parts: two outboard sections (top and bottom parts) and a centre section (also top and bottom):

y4m9ng4l72FCb2bdKazbDY_LWjiENklyrjCTN0Mt

IMAG5025

It seems, from the instructions, that the top outboard parts should be glued to the top centre section first, and with some support on the tips in order for the top surface of the wing to be flat. Then, the outboard bottom parts of the wings should be glued and the bottom centre part should be glued last. There are location pins for the outboard top and bottom parts but no location pins for the centre parts. There are also location indents on the mating surfaces of the outboard and centre parts to aid in the alignment of the wing. The wing span will be almost 40 cm.

The tail parts fit perfectly. In the picture they're just holding together without glue or tape. Here we can also see the positionable elevators:

y4mIH3ifaL8RxIF3IYSakBTfnUARb6-BeGP66fhc

IMAG5026

The wing and tail parts were cleaned of moulding lines and misalignments of moulding halves (This seems to be a "feature" of this kit).

Next, the cockpit base and bulkhead parts were cut off the sprues, cleaned and dry fit. The following pictures show the fit is perfect and the parts are just holding together without any glue or tape. The interior detail is very good as well:

y4mWCrnpMqviKsSLMCtSEdroWagKc-u_cgXtlsLR

IMAG5027

y4mEd6z3OximSDTYihSPDmmPhCRJPDP-amoLrrOQ

IMAG5028

y4maH3YIPnzNUL9jQoUIsNe70NyL0Xe6ohcg3LCc

IMAG5029

These interior parts will be painted separately for easier painting:

y4mtKjW3EMU-nifsftcHhr2PbWq3dNxRIiqhmpT7

IMAG5030

The bulkheads and cockpit base will also be painted separately but first I glued in place all smaller parts that wouldn't make painting difficult. This small part above the door on the bulkhead behind the pilots:

y4mrykiUT4sJaDqG89tI3eGFo6y6lesZxGlpzd99

IMAG5031

and the control columns and side levers by the pilots' seats:

y4mklU7HUIF1u0sGQsfvQBJDH1W5bGL8F4TKL_rE

IMAG5032

I prefer to cut off the sprues and clean as many parts as possible in order to paint everything later. So, with all cockpit parts taken care of, I moved to the propellers and engine parts.

There was some flash around the edges of the propellers, moulding lines on the propeller blades and moulding misalignments on the hubs. So I spent some time cleaning all this. In the picture the propeller on the right is already cleaned, while the one on the left is just cut off the sprue:

y4mez419Kl8sIDQbjvsANbv_fxtCft4uqEY0aE3p

IMAG5034

After cleaning, the propellers were glued to the tips of toothpicks, for later painting.

y4mUavMevZUiNyhDAC4Jq_wXXseW1XcVaRu_ILd2

IMAG5035

Next, the engine faces were cut off the sprues. As they'll be enclosed in the cowlings, the moulding misalignments won't be seen, so they were only cleaned of the remainings of the sprue gates:

y4mcqwCdFRsThn5kB5f5Opad4KRa3N44apNoiGAc

IMAG5036

and also glued to toothpicks for later painting:

y4mzJ2HpfNCTZoFHK64c93v-zLCkR4W90rcScaUV

IMAG5037

The engine cowling parts must be painted black inside. I thought it would be easier to paint their interior while still in the sprues. To avoid spraying other parts, I sawed the lot off the rest of the sprue:

y4mr5AYPDwwNGmrj6C2y2Ne12MnpeKwla_ee13kQ

IMAG5038

There's really no point in cleaning the ejector marks inside, as they'll be blocked by the engine faces:

y4mujpwbn4jMV4QYsZXKgcg9vdtYVBXmKfUW7cYC

IMAG5039

Then, I took care of the the guns. There are two MG 15 and a MG 151 (the bigger one). They're not too bad for plastic, after cleaning all the moulding lines. In the picture the MG 15 on the bottom is still to be cleaned:

y4mwn7Ky4zqs25SYKqr5s-glxJ5BSdKN8DDJQUtO

IMAG5040

To improve them a little, I drilled holes on the tips. This was done slowly, using a succession of increasing drill diameters: 0.3 mm, 0.4 mm, 0.5 mm and 0.7 mm (this one just for the MG 15s). Here's the result:

y4mFpUmPQcCKRZs2wOYMFf9_Gp7-1hQYRXfsffjp

IMAG5042

The magazines and the gun supports, which will be later glued to the insides of the turrets, were finally glued to the guns:

y4mlIl1noHugjqzb-FCG77L2_MxCQ5YgtZkDc9C5

IMAG5043

To finish with the parts that could be painted before closing the fuselage, I took care of the engine exhausts. There are six of these. I cleaned most of the moulding lines with the parts still in the sprues, as it would be very difficult to do it holding them between the fingers. I marked the initial position for drilling holes on the exhausts using the tip of a nº 11 blade:

y4m3ACg6JDiOkfVQ4LhhDhCiW-D5UnJfn-FGQcHC

IMAG5044

Then, I used a succession of drill sizes to slowly open the exhausts: 0.5 mm, 0.7 mm and 0.9 mm. The process was done in succession for each pair of parts and then each pair was cut off the sprue to make access to the next pair easier:

y4mZ20uHhSr8yKTv-qLwqHim0mzHRN8bdMXNqmku

IMAG5045

Here's the end result:

y4mDbfvt-5nw6qmhUvrOquI9OLTs5nXJB9q4gdFk

IMAG5046

Finally, here are all the parts that will be painted before closing the fuselage, ready for priming:

y4m-_zw0VDJvd5fXmZ7E5-rHuaUQ920k6dKHP6hZ

IMAG5047

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 12

That is a good start Jamie. Painting shoukd be a relatively rapid process except where you have to use different colours for specific details. Are you intending to add any extra detail or are you going to build this OOB? The interior details look good even as they are.

P

Thanks, pheonix! Yes, I'll build it OOB, no additions whatsoever. The interior detail is quite good and, since the canopy is closed, not much will be seen anyway.

Cheers

Jaime

Hello, looking great so far. I guess the Italeri concept with upgrading their old kits with new cockpits etc. for a reasonable price is  a very good way. They were far more accurate than Revell, Airfix in the 70th and fit well. The best choice then for any german WW2 planes in comparison  to others and italian ones either of course. And Italeri produced the best clear parts imho. So I think you have to paint the cockpit tidy. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Hello, looking great so far. I guess the Italeri concept with upgrading their old kits with new cockpits etc. for a reasonable price is  a very good way. They were far more accurate than Revell, Airfix in the 70th and fit well. The best choice then for any german WW2 planes in comparison  to others and italian ones either of course. And Italeri produced the best clear parts imho. So I think you have to paint the cockpit tidy. Cheers

Thanks! Yes, the kit looks really good. The only general problem is the misalignment of the moulding halves, which produces misaligned parts that must be thoroughly cleaned (sometimes is more carving than cleaning).

The cockpit is very well detailed. I'll paint it properly and I'm thinking about applying pre-shading, instead of post-shading, as I usually do.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Jaime

Some lovely work and detail here.  This looks to be so much better than the one I built so long ago and is much better than the one I'm going to build idc as the MS version.  Perhaps I better swap out my old Italeri version for this new one; the cockpit pieces on the version I have are very few and with limited detail.

Looking forward to the next reports

Regards

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Ah, Jaime, you're very kind to provide such helpful tips  :)

I'm curious, though: how do you plan to deal with the turrets? I've only really looked at the nose turret, but I can't see a way of sawing off the bottom "lip" safely so that I can put it in after painting the model.

• Thanks 1

Andrew, Joe, Chris,

thank you for the kind words and interest! Much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

I'm curious, though: how do you plan to deal with the turrets? I've only really looked at the nose turret, but I can't see a way of sawing off the bottom "lip" safely so that I can put it in after painting the model.

I'm planning to install the turrets when closing the fuselage. They'll be masked to avoid painting the clear panes and I'll have to mask the guns and gun slits as well but should be simpler than surgery acts to insert the turrets in the end, I guess.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Thanks, Johnny! Very kind!

3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

40cm wingspan!:yikes: she's a beast.

It seems it won't be much smaller than a B-17 at the same scale!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Great start Jaime with your usual attention to detail and precision drilling.

Those internals look good too, nice crisp detail.

Looking forward to the next update :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words and interest, Tony! Much appreciated!

I've been painting all the parts the appear in the last picture I've posted above. I still have to update the thread but been very limited of time. I either work on the kit or update the thread :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, amblypygid said:

What Ced said, Jaime. I've never tried using Vallejo's primer, but I use VMA with Stynylrez, or sometimes without primer, and have not had a problem with lifting paint.

Dear Jaime et al.,

Sorry I'm late to this, but FWIW, I've been happy with Vallejo primer. It seems to really help if it's left to cure for some time (days–a week). That seems to really help adhesion.

Jaime, I think this is a really interesting choice. I think that in profile the Dornier resembles the Kawanishi Mavis, which I consider quite attractive (probably not a chance resemblance). I'm afraid I can't offer anything sensible on the RLM dilemma. 

Regards,

David

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

Sorry I'm late to this, but FWIW, I've been happy with Vallejo primer. It seems to really help if it's left to cure for some time (days–a week). That seems to really help adhesion.

Jaime, I think this is a really interesting choice. I think that in profile the Dornier resembles the Kawanishi Mavis, which I consider quite attractive (probably not a chance resemblance). I'm afraid I can't offer anything sensible on the RLM dilemma. 

Thanks for interest and comments, David. I also think this Dornier has beautiful lines. You're right about the Kawanishi: the resemblance is striking.

REgarding paints, I eventually bought a bottle of Tamiya XF-27, so I'll use XF-26 and XF-27 for RLM 72 and RLM 73. The tonal relation seems to work better than using Gunze and Tamiya as discussed earlier.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

I did a bit of work last week and week-end, so I should really show some progress here, before I have too many pictures to deal with.

In the last post on work done I had several parts ready for painting. I started by painting the metallic colours, all of which were from Alclad range of paints.

First, I used ALC-106 White Aluminium for the rudder pedals in the cockpit:

y4mx0jP_dTBVDbTnPdlQJIgewV_SzY9QQMuZ4ZJz

IMAG5052

and for the star-shaped thingies that cover the engines:

y4mRvPRaJvedjHsveS3YjNMusDzncUt7s5heW93d

IMAG5053

The engine radiator grills were painted ALC-112 Steel:

y4mPG4tsKuneA_V_lrNwuOXzgv1nhNJ8FVnZomyt

IMAG5054

The engine faces were painted ALC-121 Burnt Iron:

y4m1WkwtLSOu8_Wy_-sL0poIIvWCK9WzR1lLtzZZ

IMAG5055

The guns were painted ALC-120 Gun Metal:

y4mCZMSA6vdjKlESv0XGx6AD3qCZTjBwzMWulSgf

IMAG5056

and the exhausts were painted ALC-123 Exhaust Manifold (which looks a bit brownish, unlike in the picture due to lighting):

y4mRfolcXfaLHhM2brHgo63rMaqT0pptJZE6sLBf

IMAG5057

A few days later, in the week-end, I moved to painting the other colours. I decided to pre-shade the cockpit parts, so I chose to start with the darker colours. First, I painted the RLM70 bits.

The seats in the radio operator compartment:

y4m25Owddq5PRtyxzbIOV5WUtnN-bORpa17Sg0YN

IMAG5058

This bit on one of the inner walls of the cockpit:

y4mh6NkMXbAK8XB1c3WPhZBbrOzVH8xtnh5bZW2w

IMAG5059

The propellers:

y4m3FkkP6yqHK-bYmvmFp2oBwlRDsSRfa9npYlrg

IMAG5060

and some other cockpit bits and the pilots' seats:

y4mrlZWJoHydoCfkOfWJlLRr9w_G9XgiEFsjNfYl

IMAG5061

Then, prior to pre-shading, I masked the previously painted areas, which was really a lot of work:

y4m9E6jFFJwPPEc-LdCIUSMmkgnQtcbV-upGrUJh

IMAG5062

y4mMPsBxJIa7Nq_K159mkULhXwl_xp5KNlvJ5qoh

IMAG5063

Next, I painted the matt black parts.

The interior of the engine nacelles:

y4mX6ovRrz4aeaT-Y8cnJbKT7nnejrHqI2E4EPKk

IMAG5064

The control  column handles and PE instrument panel:

y4mFSnmuZym1uRmbJAGYjUNk1wNH_SErnwp87qo6

IMAG5056

Then pre-shaded the cockpit parts and also painted the matt black bits on these parts:

y4mdMtOplt7Mmu2qO2i18MHr5bnpNi8EEqqWDoIc

IMAG5065

y4m4P9CR8hDkDYaHdlAdhZQRW8U9fRmCQ8Zgijlt

IMAG5067

y4mZ3aC7jsbjYNnnuKD6u3CB0BPt60qwTiL2jCxI

IMAG5068

y4mefgrmMjilh5-YwIVZ4yhw82_bueBwVjp0dkv6

IMAG5069

y4m3EYnmWapmdtAVv1qu8_K2Q3w5qW5Zt5wBxoHZ

IMAG5070

To be continued.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 8

To finish with, I moved to the lighter interior colours.

First, I painted the PE seat belts with Tamiya XF-57 Buff:

y4mItgOUzdJCSxsuzS4Vq_Uas2nG7ceWGWa-zuXi

IMAG5072

Next, I masked the previously painted black bits. Again, a lot of lengthy and tedious work:

y4m6BBdzQf0BbgWTvaYZOuC1LrOp7cveTbfK3WXv

IMAG5073

y4m1KtXSZ96T76So_GFsvPgb-iNfhdobV_5HHtMc

IMAG5074

y4myKwi2MwWplr-GH7aqspqkT_9Ek1mbSiR6BKIy

IMAG5075

After all this, I painted all parts with RLM02. In the end the pre-shading is a bit too subtle, as I was so afraid to end up with too stark an effect that I applied too much RLM70. The results show a bit better in photos taken under day light but are very subtle nonetheless:

y4mjxHErmYkJgXo5kJvfjr3vK-Y8ytgBt3nZozo4

IMAG5081

y4mxX4vlnDzwqOLkGoUbvasA2Y_iNDa-3jffJbGp

IMAG5082

y4m2kyE5eqW1HSeSKbNniS4xbqCW1s_8tbyNJAUB

IMAG5083

y4mxjZrsbIVPFNi999ve1cEpkWO1eLD11Eo0tOwA

IMAG5084

y4mPu31b7wgYoZcNZpIMJ-nRgikyKh3belAKfnUk

IMAG5085

There's still a bit of tidying up to do in places and a bit of detail painting to do.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 11

Hello Jaime,

Hey, you're going strong !!

Very nice job and fast ! This time you will finish before January !!

Sure !

congratulations.

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

Looking very good there Jaime - I do admire your attention to detail and your patience masking up all that stuff; I still use a hairy brush on the internals because I'm too lazy to mask, but looking at your results I may try harder!

Very nice, neat work :)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

I still use a hairy brush on the internals because I'm too lazy to mask, but looking at your results I may try harder!

You're very kind as always, Ced. If I had to repeat all that work, I'd probably brush paint the interior details... I'm not so sure it would make such a big difference, especially if thin layers of ink were applied.

• Like 1