Flory / Ultimate - Washes - WANTED - Opinions / Advice

BIG X

Hi Gang and a Happy Bank Holiday Weekend - for those of us enjoying it.  I am looking for some honest opinions / advice / tips / tricks etc with regard to washes.  Up to now I have only had a quick play with Humbrol washes and was very frankly - dismayed and disappointed.

Today I've been watching some videos - such as these...

...now I know well enough that a good demonstrator can make anything look - easy / good / a must have - but I do want to get into this - as I think my aircraft are lacking a certain 'something'.  I'm not really interested in chipping, but I am interested in adding some panel lines and light staining, as well as creating depth in recesses etc.

Also - I'm about to have a dabble in the dark world of AFV modelling - where I think proper weathering IS A MUST!!!

I would be really interested in thoughts on Flory and Ultimate washes - from anyone who has personal experience with them.  The videos give lots of information - but is it as good and easy as it looks???

Thanks in advance as always - I know I can count on you to point me in the right direction - Steve

• Like 1

Hi,

Simple answer- yes it's as easy as it looks.

I have used enamel washes from both AK and Humbrol before (there was a careful balance between wiping away excess wash and wiping the paint along with it that eventually led me to switch to Flory for overall washes). I have only used the dark dirt wash which I picked up last year at Telford and at the time my thoughts were along the line of "well, i've seen other people use it and it looks quite easy to use, so I guess i'll have a go". It's unbelievably intuitive and easy to use compared to my previous experiences with enamel washes!

I tend to stick to one method now, which is:

1. Paint model in chosen paints and seal with 1 coat of gloss vanrish

2. Add decals, then seal with one more coat of varnish

3. After the varnish has dried I wash the entire model (if a small 1:72 kit) or sections one after the other (if a large kit) with the Flory wash

4. Having left the model/section about 5-10 minutes, I moisten a piece of tissue paper and wipe away the excess wash (often I wipe perpendicular to the panel lines so I don't end up wiping wash out of them)

5. And after all of that, the result should look something like this: :P

DSCN2091.jpg

(1:72 Tornado)

or like this:

DSCN0603.jpg

(1:72 Harrier)

To model areas of increased weathering, one can leave the wash for 15-20 minutes and use varying amounts of moisture on the tissue paper to remove the appropriate amount of wash- streaking can also be done this way.

Hope that helps a little! :)

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 3

Sam - That is so reassuring - if I could 'like' your results more than once - I would.  I have a couple of 109's crying out for this treatment - but following poor results in the past - I'm scared witless of ruining what are turning into 2 'good' models.

...but then again they could be 'great' models with a professional looking wash.

Can anyone else give some more pix / advice / tips / techniques for either flory or ultimate???

BTW - are they the same thing in  different bottles perhaps???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

... flory or unique???

BTW - are they the same thing in  different bottles perhaps???

I must confess that I haven't heard of "unique"

EDIT: My mistake! It gets quite confusing, I thought I had a Flory wash and I've always referred to it as a Flory wash but it's actually the UMP (Ultimate Modelling Products) wash!

From what I now know, they're two different companies selling *nearly* the same product (from what I gather, a clay-based wash). Apologies about the confusion!

(I also confuse AK Interactive and Ammo Mig Jimenez too! -they seem to offer similar products to each other)

Sam

• Like 2

I'm not sure that I have either the wisdom or the talent to hand out advice but I do know that are plenty of other options:

- thinned oil paint will do a fine job

- thinned gouache (my current favourite) can also deployed

- watercolour and poster paint can be used, check out tonyot's builds

• Like 1

Nope.  I had humbrol washes, which dried up before I even got to use them, they were stored in my garage, at reasonable temperatures.  I used Ammo by Mig on the 109 cockpit. It seemed pretty good.

Edited by SimonT
Spelling

Hi,

I've been using "Ultimate" for a while on my aircraft. The effect is reasonably subtle in the photos but it does have an effect. Here's the latest post on Britmodeller -

I find it quite easy to use. I tried to make my own washes using watercolours or artist oils but found the results were not consistent and if I made mistakes they couldn't be removed. The Ultimate wash is quite controllable and can be cleaned up (usually) if you make a mistake.

They are probably even more useful for AFV's. I don't build targets normally but my son does and the wash made a world of difference to his last 2 projects. We used dirt and mud. Sorry, no photos of them as they are Nathan's models not mine.

I believe flory sold his company and name but then started a new company with a modified formula. I've never used the original.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

The Flory Models clay-based washes have a MASSIVE advantage over most commercial model-washes out there....

If you don't like the results they've given you, you can simply remove ALL the wash with a dampened cloth. Try doing that with enamel or oil-paint washes.... Just to state the very obvious, it's always a good idea to have a completely-dried varnish coat (or two) between any washes you might be using and your base coats of paint. Having said that - in theory - Flory washes should not affect the base coats in any way (but do checks on an old model first, just to play it safe).   

I have used the Flory washes a couple of times and have nothing bad to say about them.  

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses folks - I've just ordered the Flory wash set on line.

I'll keep you posted on my success - or not...

On 27/08/2017 at 10:18 PM, cathasatail said:

I must confess that I haven't heard of "unique"

EDIT: My mistake! It gets quite confusing, I thought I had a Flory wash and I've always referred to it as a Flory wash but it's actually the UMP (Ultimate Modelling Products) wash!

From what I now know, they're two different companies selling *nearly* the same product (from what I gather, a clay-based wash). Apologies about the confusion!

(I also confuse AK Interactive and Ammo Mig Jimenez too! -they seem to offer similar products to each other)

Sam

Glad to see it isn't just me then, these same but different paints,washes,etc confuses the hell outa me. Not sure some days  if i'm coming or going or been or went, Arthur or Martha springs to mind.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this. I see you already went for the Flory washes. All I can say is good choice, have a look at any of my builds and you can see them in action. I'll tell you something if I can do it anyone can. Paint or I can recommend airbrush on and then when dry, wipe off whatever you like to achieve your look. Hope you have fun with your new washes.

johnny.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Only just seen this. I see you already went for the Flory washes. All I can say is good choice, have a look at any of my builds and you can see them in action. I'll tell you something if I can do it anyone can. Paint or I can recommend airbrush on and then when dry, wipe off whatever you like to achieve your look. Hope you have fun with your new washes.

johnny.

I've enjoyed watching how you use the Flory Washes Johnny; great results :thumbsup2: 

I would like to try them, especially given the fact that if I muck it up (in an unintended way :winkgrin:), it can all be taken off again.

I do have a question; what to use to 'lock them in' when pleased with the result? I have W & N Matt varnish and Alclad Aqua gloss. Would these be ok? I was worried the varnish might dissolve the wash, but strongly suspect I've no need to worry at all :shrug: ?

Very grateful for any advice.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've enjoyed watching how you use the Flory Washes Johnny; great results :thumbsup2: 

I would like to try them, especially given the fact that if I muck it up (in an unintended way :winkgrin:), it can all be taken off again.

I do have a question; what to use to 'lock them in' when pleased with the result? I have W & N Matt varnish and Alclad Aqua gloss. Would these be ok? I was worried the varnish might dissolve the wash, but strongly suspect I've no need to worry at all :shrug: ?

Best regards

TonyT

Alclad Aqua Gloss is exactly what I use and as long as you avoid pooling then it locks them in perfectly :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

johnny.

Yeh Johnny I have to say I'm really pleased with the Flory Washes.  Previously I had tried to do panel line washes with various products and they either completely washed off or left stains that wouldn't clean off - the Flory does exactly what it shows on their videos - I'm a fan :)

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony I have tried them with W and N Matt for my twin BF109 build and with humbrol clear acrylic gloss whilst experimenting - they both work perfectly and don't move the wash.

Proviso - that is with an airbrush...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Alclad Aqua Gloss is exactly what I use and as long as you avoid pooling then it locks them in perfectly :)

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Hi Tony I have tried them with W and N Matt for my twin BF109 build and with humbrol clear acrylic gloss whilst experimenting - they both work perfectly and don't move the wash.

1 hour ago, colin said:

Just make sure your gloss varnish is really smooth as if it's slightly rough you'll have trouble getting the Flory wash off if you do a sludge wash, even using a lot a water

Thanks to all for the advice :) that's very kind.

I hadn't thought of that aspect of getting the gloss coat smooth. That makes perfect sense; potential disaster averted! 

Time to send off for some. I'll first have a practice at it with a couple of 'Drawer of Doom' models :thumbsup2: 

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Thanks to all for the advice :) that's very kind.

I hadn't thought of that aspect of getting the gloss coat smooth. That makes perfect sense; potential disaster averted! 

Time to send off for some. I'll first have a practice at it with a couple of 'Drawer of Doom' models :thumbsup2: 

Best regards 

TonyT

I have to say the quality of service from Flory was fantastic - I would order direct from them.  I happened to check my box contents the moment they arrived and had inadvertently got 2 'grime' and no 'concrete'.  I emailed them and got an instantaneous response - the missing wash also arrived the very next day - well done Phil Flory - 5 stars.

I practiced on a couple of mules first - it simply makes sense and yes a good gloss coat makes removal of the excess a doddle.  If you wash onto matt or just plain paint it won't come off - but then it's only supposed to come off gloss.  I hope you have fun - it has certainly cheered me up and given me new confidence.

Steve 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing the Flory demos, I gave them a try.

Love them! Ridiculously simple to work with, very forgiving and come in a nice variety of pigments. I'm pretty new to the world of washes and have had little if any success with other methods and products. This stuff works perfectly for me and does exactly what I expect it to do.

• Like 2