Champagne Today - A French M4A3 (76mm).

Well, for the first time in nearly two months, I've managed to get some modelling done. Primer added to the Tiran and also to this build, Champagne. 24 hours later, it was time to give Champagne a coat of green. I call it green because although when it was in service it would have been finished in olive drab, I don't think that those tasked with repainting the tank for displaying in the town of Ville-sur-Illon used the same paint, not if the photos on the Shaddock Free site are anything to go by. It's a much more yellowy green. So I mixed up some Tamiya XF58 olive green with some XF3 flat yellow in a ratio of 3:1, thinned 50% with Tamiya thinner. The beauty of this build is that there was no masking to be done. That is to say that everything could be sprayed green, including the tracks, as that is what they have done to the original. Using my Iwata airbrush, I gave the model two light coats of the mix, followed a few hours later by Tamiya Clear gloss coat. This was left for 24 hours to harden before the decals were applied.

fcbefc20-09bf-482f-b7dc-8b843e8a169f.JPG

I was able to obtain a second decal sheet for Champagne, namely Bison Decals sheet 35095, but this time it wasn't just a case of following the decal's instructions as now they are not all in exactly the same place as originally. The markings on the front are all practically in the same position, although the yellow bridge plate is absent, and the centrally positioned serial number should be on a black background. Sadly, I realised that too late.

5ce21b77-e547-41af-ae58-187db3a7d767.JPG  7bfa7739-80fe-4cc1-a395-7341722a281d.JPG

The only markings on the turret are the number 55 on each side. The current ones are more squashed down than on the sheet, but I can live with that.

7044980a-bd5f-4d16-958a-3f63074f840a.JPG  ca462f18-1169-4f3d-a2d6-4909c7e012ca.jpg

On the side the USA serial numbers are now absent and the tricolours are further back. I had a complete brain melt down while applying the decals on the right side. I put the squadron marking (the yellow C on a blue square) in completely the wrong place and although I realised my mistake fairly quickly, the damned thing had started to adhere. So as I tried to remove it, it tore into about five pieces. I managed to get it to sit into the correct place, but I may need to touch it up with some paint later. Doesn't the air look pretty when it turns a shade of blue!!

d6d22ea5-2fdf-415c-901d-d86eb9aefb5e.JPG  0484adfe-c7d7-4fcc-9aca-70c47bf3442b.JPG

On the rear hull plate there are some differences. Originally, the squadron sign was over towards the left hand side, but now it's on the right hand side, where the spare track links were carried, and there is an additional tricolour on the left where the other set of spare track links were carried. Also, there is a serial number in the middle of the rear hull, and again I had brain meltdown, or rather I applied this decal without wearing my glasses, so I applied the wrong one. Before I get to the recoating with Tamiya gloss, I will scrape off this serial and apply the correct one, and this time it will be on a black background. Strewth!!

b747d40a-8bdf-4d91-b493-c675ee97ae2b.JPG  3fb4be8a-a36c-4152-8bd4-d69d6b5759d0.JPG

So that is the stage that I'm at now. I will be giving it another coat of Tamiya Clear to seal the decals in before moving on to the weathering (after correcting the faux pas). Thanks for looking.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking good john, nice attention to details,  usually missed by me

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn. I thought that given the fact that this is a model of a display tank that it would be very easy and straight forward. Not so!

John.

Well despite all the problems with decals you seem to be keeping this project nicely on track........you see what I did there?...tanks.....tracks..... :coat:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Well despite all the problems with decals you seem to be keeping this project nicely on track........you see what I did there?...tanks.....tracks..... :coat:

You're forgiven Stix. I'm going to try and rectify the problems tomorrow. Thanks for the comments.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Welcome back to desk, color looks nice, very smoothed...:popcorn:, cheers John:yes:

Thanks a lot Francis. I'm in the process now of scraping the incorrect decals off, quick repaint and gloss, and then reapply the correct decals. I've also got to reposition the pivots for the gun travel lock. It would all have been a lot simpler if I'd done it correctly in the first place.:rage:

John.

Before I sprayed the sealer coat of Tamiya Clear there were a couple of jobs to do. First up was to enlarge the turret opening so that it would take the Asuka turret. It needed to be increased approximately 4mm in diameter. Once this was done, I moved on to the front glacis plate. The two brackets which the gun travel lock sits in were too low down, so I had to remove them and reposition them further up the plate. Once these were in the correct place, I was able to fix the travel lock in place after distressing the top part in line with the actual one. The gun on Champagne doesn't sit right down in the travel lock, it sort of hovers above it. Just as well, because I had glued the gun and mantlet in place and the gun wouldn't go down any further.

115b319d-bf04-4205-b73e-cbeeb26006aa.JPG  e2c4a560-9933-465c-830d-4caa0afbc1d0.JPG

I thought that I should revisit the decals that I had wrongly applied. First, on the rear hull plate, I carefully scraped off the incorrect serial number. I did the same with the one on the glacis plate as well as the tricolour which once the gun travel lock was moved upwards, would be in the wrong place. It should be between the two brackets. I mixed up a small amount of Tamiya XF58 and XF3 and touched up the scraped areas, and when this had dried, I applied some Johnson's Kleer ready for the decals (the correct ones this time). On the glacis and rear hull plate, I placed two oblong pieces of black decal to act as the backing, followed some time later by he serials. The tricolour decal that I had didn't have the white outline around it that it should have so with a shaky hand, I painted it using a 10.0 brush. Not great but it'll have to do. While I had the brush handy, I touched up the torn squadron marking on the right side of the hull.

33604c9b-4394-4898-960a-a0745e58a2fb.JPG  4aa992e0-dc74-4623-b2d4-03c90c87e996.JPG

95631607-4312-4922-a796-1bbf594d54de.JPG   The close up makes it look worse than it actually is.

The photos of Champagne on the Shaddock Free site show a tank which to me appears to have been recently repainted. An exhibit like this which has been open to the elements would at least have rain streaks running down the vertical surfaces. I wouldn't expect scuff marks on the turret and hull, usually made by the crew's boots, or excessive chipping, so with that in mind, I decided that the weathering process would be light. It didn't need another gloss coat because I wasn't going to do any streaking with oils or use any washes, so the next step was to was to give it a coat of matt varnish. Then I got to work with the pigments.

25bef07b-328c-4cd1-8de4-db475db93cea.JPG  ce3b7d81-5387-491f-b56b-d9081b0b1ae3.JPG

I used just two different pigments, namely Carr's Coal Black and Mig's Allied Green Fading. The black was applied with a thin brush around any part that dirt would accumulate around or shadow areas and along panel lines. I also used it in conjunction with the Mig fading to simulate rain streaks or any drain off areas where accumulated dirt and water would run off. I kept it fairly simple as this is a model of a static display tank and not one in service, and so with that in mind, I called it a day.

cb3aa64e-20d0-41b2-874f-9a47d67748f9.JPG  9232afb9-2e67-4db7-b086-3e3d35df605e.JPG

21f96973-fdb3-48b8-a385-79f2483a9da2.JPG  0912d5c2-2357-4f35-886e-b6e8be04d765.JPG

It'll be a little while before this appears in RFI as I need to build a base for it. I want to try and replicate (not exactly, but near enough) the place where Champagne sits today. The ground around it is covered with small stone chippings and my idea to reproduce this in 1/35th scale was to use some budgie grit, but having looked in the pet section of the local supermarket, it doesn't appear to be something that they sell over here, so I'm going to have to find an alternative, perhaps some course sand. Anyway, thanks for looking and the comments.

John.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good John.

How about cat litter, they must sell that and most here is made of a clay so it might work, just don't wet it.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. I'll look into some kitty litter but I have a feeling that the bits may be too large.

John.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

so I'm going to have to find an alternative,

Try Chinchilla 'dust'... that's crushed Chinchillas I believe, or possibly the 'grit' they put in their cages. Cat litter can be ground up very easily into smaller particles, but it does turn to mush if you get it too wet with either water or PVA glue. That can be an advantage sometimes though. My favourite 'grit' though is made by mixing up plaster of paris, letting it set, then crushing that up. A few different sieves can then be used to 'grade' the grit. Another good alternative is to get a sledgehammer and take any frustrations out on a house-brick.

Loving the colour of your Sherman btw.

Rearguards,

Badder

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Looks great John, as per the usual!

For the stand, how about 'chinchilla dust'? As used on my Alam Halfa dio :)

Thanks Clive. Unfortunately, the French are not the same as Brits when it comes to pets. I'll try some other shops as the one I went to is just a local super market.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Clive. Unfortunately, the French are not the same as Brits when it comes to pets. I'll try some other shops as the one I went to is just a local super market.

John.

Happy to send some on, John, free and gratis, should you wish - just PM me some details and I'll sort it :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Try Chinchilla 'dust'... that's crushed Chinchillas I believe

:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Badder said:

Loving the colour of your Sherman btw.

Thanks Badder. I've got a few ideas of what I can use. If all else fails, I'll use sand. Builders sand over here is very course.

John.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clive_t said:

Happy to send some on, John, free and gratis, should you wish - just PM me some details and I'll sort it :thumbsup2:

Many thanks Clive for the kind offer. If I can't find something suitable, I might just take you up on that.

John.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Looking Good John,soon time to crack open the champagne,How about crushing up all that mice droppings in the roof,may work:DCheers.

Shhhhh! They're all hibernating now, so no poop! Anyway, I think that the python may have got them:D. Thanks for the comments Jim.

John.

• Haha 1