Champagne Today - A French M4A3 (76mm).

57 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Inclredible mix!!, nice job...:yes:, cheers John

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going John, that looks like a right lucky/unlucky shoot.

Thanks both. Yes, it depends on which side you're on. But it wasn't the only one. Champagne copped another in the upper left hull.

John.

• Thanks 1

The state of play so far.

As the upper hull that I was using was Dragon's M4, the rear hull plate was wrong for this build, so I drilled around the parts that I wanted to discard and then cut it out with a sharp blade, and then made a new one from 40thou card, and glue it in place. Along the top and down the sides I glued some thin stretched sprue and soaked it with MEK and textured it with the tip of a pointed blade to represent weld beads.

ee183929-d7a9-42b6-8f0e-938577c03746.JPG  a88b2ad7-3ea5-455f-a597-da2cddb06720.JPG

Note the small bulge at the top of the plate on the RHS. This is pure supposition on my part, but as far as I can tell, Champagne was hit by two AT shells when it was knocked out. One entered the left side upper hull and probably tore through the engine compartment and glanced off the inside of the rear hull plate, causing the bulge. Anybody knows different, I'd be glad to hear. To replicate this bulge, I added a spot of Milliput and then blended it in with wet and dry. To reinforce my theory, the rear section of the engine deck has quite a gap at the rear and is slightly distorted.

I added the exhaust for the auxiliary power unit from a piece of stretched sprue with the end drilled out (ringed in red).

401f0dcf-033e-455e-aaaf-a9ab2b0f0067.JPG  fd2416d5-0a77-48f2-b7a7-a1a7e06f8deb.jpg

When I built my other model of Champagne, I had to scratch build the exhaust deflector, as the one in the Tamiya M4A3 kit was a bit on the clunky side. Thinking that I would have to do the same with this build, I was pleasantly surprised to find that on the sprues that I had ordered from Asuka for the engine deck, was a six part deflector which was far more accurate and finely done than the Tamiya offering. Here it is in place along with the extended lower hull side plates. Also in place are the two exhausts and the tow bracket (Tamiya).

3a3088be-e473-42f4-84c3-f8c0eddd75eb.JPG  1c707f30-d71e-4d08-8c87-3efbdcf9d895.JPG

As with most Sherman kits, the eight bolt heads on each side, which hold the transmission housing in place, are missing. So using a hexagonal punch and die set, I punched out the 16 bolt heads from 15thou card and glued them in place.

The six VVSS units were then glued in place and as I had suspected, the one with the Academy swing arms was slightly higher than the rest, but hopefully once on the base, it wouldn't be noticeable.

28e538dd-b06a-4294-b184-273d916a036a.JPG

Next up is the engine deck. Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice scratch building John.

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Shermany and thus good!  :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Coming along John,love looking at your work,the detailing is an inspiration.Cheers.

Thanks a lot to each for the encouraging words.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great modelling again John. 

I dread to think what damage that round did on its way through the interior to finally hit the rear of the hull :(

Looking forward to the next installment :yes: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

I dread to think what damage that round did on its way through the interior to finally hit the rear of the hull :(

Many thanks Clive. Yes, me too. I'm just assuming that is what happened as I can't think of any other reason for that bulge in the upper rear hull.

John.

One of the two hits that knocked Champagne out, struck the upper rear hull, as can be seen in the first photo. To replicate this, I drilled a hole through the side of the hull and roughened it up with a triangular file.

73ed704a-d130-438c-bb10-f31af4dfecd0.jpg  0e83caa4-f0e8-4da6-90e5-21437f4757b5.JPG

Engine door bump stops added to each side from 40thou card, plus the lifting eyes. I added thin strips of Milliput around the bottom of each item to replicate weld seams. The rear light brush guards came from an Eduard set. The left hand rear light has been removed.

The Dragon hull is the same for M4's and M4A3's, so the depression for the grouser intakes were filled with Green Stuff and sanded smooth.

063bfb7e-16b1-49f8-b784-ad02317dc415.JPG  76e227b0-a8aa-4032-9858-63035fb2e10f.JPG

I did make an attempt at scratch building the A3 engine deck, but I made such a lash up of it, especially the intake slats of the doors, that I binned it and went for a replacement deck courtesy of Asuka. The rearmost plate is quite distorted, probably due to the AT round and most of the securing bolts have popped, so I removed them with a scalpel and drilled the holes out. The brackets that were used to secure the pioneer tools have been removed at some point, but there are still some remnants remaining. I've arrowed these in red. The two white dots each side of the rear plate are where the grab handles have been removed.

The final photo shows how the rear of the plate was thrust up by the impact of the shell. On the right hand side, only the rear portion of the rear light remains in place.

af477b02-2828-4afc-b571-c2ff7fe08198.JPG  71c12d0e-06b9-43f7-8114-36469f0c6d8b.JPG

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Etienne said:

Another very nice and detailed Sherman and once again a great temptation to buy one or more Sherman's kits ... :P

Thanks Etienne. You have to get a Sherman, but get a Tasca/Asuka......they're the Rolls Royce of the Shermans.

John.