X-7 +/- X-8

Angus Tura

Good Morning.

I haven't managed to complete a group build previously. So, this is wildly optimistic. However, I'd like to enter this/these:

Box

X-7 X-8 Contents

This was a present many Christmases ago from the dread Mrs.Tura. The box has X-17 (two copies for some reason in mine,) and X-9 also, but if I get one of the X-7 or X-8 done in the next 24 hours I'll be surprised and delighted! There is a helpful review on modelling madness: https://modelingmadness.com/scott/misc/realspace/x7n8.htm

I've washed the bits for the X-7 and X-8 but haven't done any other pre-prep:

Washed X-7 and X-8

I like the food photos but I haven't eaten anything yet. Coffee mug on the right here. I was hoping to start with the Belgian GP coverage but already I'm late. I'll take a snap of my start time shortly.

Alan

• Like 6

...not as shortly as I'd hoped. After a bit of Dad-taxiing I finally got started at 1.15pm:

Start time

I had thought a resin kit would be ideal for this as there's so few parts. I had forgotten the joys of resin. The bubble! There's one on the ramjet intake of the X-7 that I couldn't live with. After that was filled with zapped superglue,

filling resin bubble

and the ramjet all cleaned up,

Ramjet cleaned-up

that's an hour and a half gone, for crying out loud.

Tomato Sandwich

Tomato and chilli sandwich.

Alan

• Like 1

'Morning again. I cant get over quite how exhausted I am by this. Now (11 hours in), I've got the airframe ready for paint. I'm just going to wash it and get some sleep before primer, gloss white, decals, burnt metal on ramjet and stick on ramjet:

airframe finished

The stand isn't even started and I may well resort to a bit of wire in the ramjet for a base but I can see how that goes in the morning. The X-8 is back in the box.

It is a mystery to me how anyone can manage a cockpit and canopy in one of these builds, let alone an undercarriage too. On the other hand I'm not so sure about a resin kit. Next year I think the recent Platz Tomahawk is going to be my ideal subject.

Also eaten: Slice of bread and half a mushroom omelette courtesy of Mrs.Tura.

mañana,

Alan.

• Like 1

'Morning. Right!

I have modified an old Hasegawa base to hold the X-7,

stand

sprayed the X-7,

White primer

and eaten this grapefruit:

Grapefruit

I did indeed enjoy the Grand Prix and sandwich, Mrs.PlasTix. Thank goodness for Channel 4 +1.

Two hours to go.

Alan

• Like 1

Made it!

Finished watch

I took a couple of nice photos for the gallery and forgot to include the wristwatch. So, according to this, I finished with 2" spare, but in fact it was a fairly comfortable 7"! Thanks for the word and the spheroidal compliment.

The X-7 needs a bit of love still: washes and glossiness and there are a couple of logos for the tail, but I'm pretty happy. I have enjoyed this a lot and would certainly want to repeat next year. I think the 2 x 12 hours option sounds more promising for me as it means sleeping only in company time, which has got to be better. I was so bushed last night that I took the whole 7 hours of kip so then there's only 17 hours of modelling time. I'm sorry Adrian didn't get his phantom done, and I'm interested in his post-mortem. For me I think:

1. Make sure its something with good fit, whether its resin or injected: there isn't enough time for lots of gap filling, even with superglue and accelerator.

2. Stick with one or two colours only.

3. Don't waste so much time sleeping!

Thanks for looking.

Alan

• Like 1