Disc Cutting Punch Set - Any Recommendations???

BIG X

I'm just getting into some AFV stuff - so I anticipate having to cope with more wheels than you find on 'wheels up' aircraft :lol:

I have been having a trawl around Amazon and there are some pretty ropey reviews.  I really only want to cut masking tape discs - using thin plastic as a support medium (I have a pretty unlimited supply of thin plastic) - so not exactly heavy duty stuff.

The kind of thing I have been looking at are multiple sets that go from 3mm up to 16mm - Can anyone make any recommendations???

I didn't know that any punch and die set was big enough for masking tape circles up to that size. I know that some people use stationery circle cutters. Plastic things with a small adjustable blade and a needle point. Possibly what you found on Amazon? I don't know if they're any good, though, and they probably can't go down to 3mm. There's a new tool called the Thinnerline Circle Cutter for exactly this task, which has been well reviewed and can do your specified size range, but I believe that it's expensive. My choice, I think, would be a stationery circle template and a pointy scalpel blade.

Edited by Ade H

1 minute ago, Ade H said:

I didn't know that any punch and die set was big enough for masking tape circles up to that size. I know that some people use stationery circle cutters. Plastic things with a small adjustable blade and a needle point. Possibly what you found on Amazon? I don't know if they're any good, though, and they probably can't go down to 3mm. There's a new tool called the Thinnerline Circle Cutter for exactly this task, which has been well reviewed and can do your specified size range, but I believe that it's expensive.

I'm not looking for a compass cutter - This is the sort of thing I've been looking at - it's usually used by jewellers for punching discs out of thin metal...

41J9sV+LXQL.jpg

Oh, I see. A punch and die but on a larger scale. I can't see any reason why that would not work, but if they have poor reviews, maybe those people were cutting far tougher stuff than masking tape and it would work for this job. If not, I'll stick with my circle template suggestion: a bit more work, but it would be cheap and reliable.

What you need is a wad punch set. There's various sizes and quality levels available, from serious industrial sets to hobby models. A cheap DIY auto set should be ok for what you want. Try your nearest Halfords for a start.

For a really cheap option, brass tube sharpened to an edge will do for very light duty. One size will give 2 different diameters depending on whether you sharpen the inside or the outside wall. Outsides can be done with files and sandpaper , insides are best done with a sharp #11 blade; be careful of ya fingers.

Edit: Here's a visual example of what you're looking for.

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/hole-punch-set-12-piece/

47 minutes ago, Rob G said:

What you need is a wad punch set. There's various sizes and quality levels available, from serious industrial sets to hobby models. A cheap DIY auto set should be ok for what you want. Try your nearest Halfords for a start.

For a really cheap option, brass tube sharpened to an edge will do for very light duty. One size will give 2 different diameters depending on whether you sharpen the inside or the outside wall. Outsides can be done with files and sandpaper , insides are best done with a sharp #11 blade; be careful of ya fingers.

Edit: Here's a visual example of what you're looking for.

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/hole-punch-set-12-piece/

eh voila - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brackit-Punches-Leather-Plastic-Gaskets/dp/B01BSYQFD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503797369&sr=8-2&keywords=wad+punch+set

£9.95 and free delivery - RESULT!!!!!!

Thanks Rob :thumbsup:

• Like 1