1/144 S&M British Airways HS 748

I've wanted a Hawker Siddeley 748 'Budgie' for years as it's such a cute little aeroplane so when I spotted the S&M kit at Telford last year I just had to buy it.

It's an improvement over the Welsh kit in terms of crispness, shape and detail in my opinion but there is some work to do with the angle of the engines which are angled upwards too much in the same way as the Minicraft 757 RR engines. It is correctable but takes quite a lot of fettling to get it right.

Decals are from my spares box mainly. Although I did print out some correctly sized 'British Airways' titles, when I came to add the registration, realised that the only aircraft which flew with British Airways titles were series 2Bs whereas the kit is of a series 2A, examples of which did not enter the fleet until the change into 'British' titling, so I had to substitute my printed decals for some I already had which fortunately fitted well. The black wing, tailplane and tail leading edges and windows are from the decal included in the box. These were printed by Nick Webb and performed beautifully. 

I've added a few details like the wire antennae under the belly as well as pitots, windscreen wipers and other aerials. 

Here it is parked up next to a company BAC 1-11-500 at a Scottish airport some time in the early eighties.

36017295573_2120a1be11_o.jpg

36017296513_b82c394d31_o.jpg

36017297993_5f6d07bbf0_o.jpg

36017302503_9d5c530e17_o.jpg

36017299093_610ba0b431_o.jpg

36017301223_12860473d1_o.jpg

36017294873_5c8cebfdf0_o.jpg

36017297273_a30c92dcaa_o.jpg

A nice addition to my Negus liveried fleet which should be joined shortly by another from the short haul fleet.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 36

What a little beauty.  Alongside the 1-11 it takes me straight back to spotting at Glasgow in the mid 1980s.

I was rather put off S&M kits by their over-priced and detail-free Avro Tudor but yours is the second Budgie I've seen on Britmodeller (I forget who did the first one) and it's clearly a big improvement on the Tudor.

As always, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Dave G

I really, really like that, what a superb job you have done Ian.

I wasn't aware of this kit but will keep a lookout for one now, it can certainly be made into a little stunner from what I see here.

Cheers

John

That is absolutely gorgeous, I grew up around these as my father was cabin crew on them with BA from '82 until the long after the 748's disappeared, I've flown in MJ more than once, she used to rattle a bit more than the others! 

Splendid work, you've captured it beautifully.

Eng

53 minutes ago, celt said:

......I wonder what others will say when they find out that I do not care for Spitfires either.:lol:

Shock.. horror!  next you will be saying that they are only pieces of plastic!  :frantic:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, celt said:

Mitchem says I am a heathen for not liking civies:lol:I wonder what others will say when they find out that I do not care for Spitfires either.:lol:

What's a Spitfire? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mitchem said:

Cheers Ian. Now you've made me want one too ! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

And me MIke. Another one on the list for Telford.

That's a real beauty Ian, especially in that livery.

Chris.

Thats a lovely job, not seen one on here before, really nice.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Cheers Michael.

On 27/08/2017 at 6:04 PM, eng said:

I've flown in MJ more than once, she used to rattle a bit more than the others!

Well, I dare say the model would've rattled too if I'd used the hairdryer on the props so I glued them on this time, eng! Hence no prop blur.

Thanks for all the complimentary posts everybody, glad you all like it as much as I do. It's my smallest model, only 5 1/2" long. Such a cutie!

Cheers,

Ian

Only 5 1/2", about the size of the 1/144 F-27 I have in the display case.

Having worked on RAAF operated HS-748s a loooong time ago, I have a 1/72 vac kit in the stash. I started one a few years ago only to botch it, fortunately, I have 2 more a spare and will one day re attempt at least one of them.

On 27/08/2017 at 7:46 AM, Skodadriver said:

What a little beauty.  Alongside the 1-11 it takes me straight back to spotting at Glasgow in the mid 1980s.

I was rather put off S&M kits by their over-priced and detail-free Avro Tudor but yours is the second Budgie I've seen on Britmodeller (I forget who did the first one) and it's clearly a big improvement on the Tudor.

As always, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Dave G

It was me! but I must admit this BA one is way better 

36912570005_3687cb591a_b.jpg

• Like 3

That looks terrific.  A beautiful paint finish and the natural metal areas look spot-on.  I'm very tempted to get one of these too, especially after seeing this.  Despite being on of Britain's more successful airliners, in terms of units built, it seems to me to have been rather under-kitted.  The level of detail on S+M kits has obviously improved significantly since their Viscount was released. 

24 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

Another great build with a nice colour scheme.  Most modern ones look too 'fussy' for my liking. I must confess that I had to look up YV to find out where this one was from. 

a stunning piece of modelling - brings back happy memories from when I used to be a passenger in them - god they used to shake in windy weather.

top marks to your modelling work, decal work and presentation - this is just the type of stuff that gets me ticking

What a great subject! I always love the more "obscure" model kits. You've done a really great job Ian. Nice build, great finish, lovely weathering!

Just send me a PM if you every need photo-realistic cockpit windows ;)

On 30/08/2017 at 10:26 AM, CT Modeller said:

How is mine any better CT? Yours is lovely, a beautifully smooth and crisp finish. I noticed you have a wire aerial, I couldn't find any pics of my airframe with one in BA colours so I couldn't include it. I do like a wire antennae though!

Martijn, I think I've got away without a photo realistic cockpit on this one as it is sitting empty on the apron between duties!

Thanks to everyone for more positive comments.

Cheers,

Ian