Hasegawa Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 1/48 Moskit Exhausts + Squadron Canopy + Airfix Wheels

99VGh5O.jpg

FSc97BL.jpg

krrwqW0.jpg

This is Hasegawa's 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I shown in the markings of an aircraft from RAF No. 32 Squadron, in 1940 during the Battle of Britain .

I finished this model a few years ago , but thought I would show it , as my wife's new mobile phone has a superb camera fitted !

hwIClSO.jpg

Hasegawa's kit is straightforward , attractive and accurate and makes a great model out of the box .

Nevertheless, I decided to make a few additions to the basic kit .
I decided to source MOSKIT 1/48 Hollow Metal Exhausts from e-bay , for the Hurricane . I also bought the Squadron Vac-Form Canopy to replace the Hasegawa Canopy  -

( this was vital to show canopy in the open position and eliminate the diagonal moulding flaw in the front windscreen which seems to be present in all Hasegawa Hurricanes).

I also fitted Eduard photo-etch throughout the model , and above all , I added ' Airfix ' old-tool wheels - as these are accurate , and are NOT Flattened ( I hate this look ) .

I sold off the old 1/48 Airfix Hurricane kit with the Hasegawa sourced wheels added inside , on e-bay .

I also first used on this kit , Synthetic Fishing Line for my radio antenna wire , and it was a great success ( I went over to this method on all my later models )

British Sky Type "S" was used for the underside of the aircraft. The upper camouflage was a standard scheme of British Dark Green and Dark Earth.

The camouflage was applied using paper masks held as close to the surface of the model as possible to reduce overspray. Exhaust stains were airbrushed using highly thinned black paint.

The exhausts did not need painted as they come as a burnt iron colour , and frankly are superb .

All decals used were supplied from the kit and went on beautifully.

I was concerned that the yellow on the fuselage roundels would show through the gray letters, but it did not.

Before applying the decals I sprayed the model with several light coats of Model Master clear metallizer sealer. After the decals had dried I applied a coat a Model Master clear flat lacquer.

I understand that the new Airfix ( new tool ) Hurricane is a lovely kit - with an open canopy supplied , apparently the only faults are that the Leading edge machine gun openings are not drilled out

and there is no windscreen mirror included - however a photo-etch mirror is a worthy substitute and its dead easy to open the machine gun ports in the leading wing .

I  would highly recommend the Hasegawa Hurricane , and get it cheap from e-bay - and you will have a lovely model .

note - I washed off the dust on this model , in my shower - apologies if there is water on the model in the pictures !

• Like 24

Wow - this is a fantastic model - looks stunning - your combination of kit,parts and painting technique has produced a very realistic model. I am highly impressed and inspired by this one.

• Thanks 1

Thank you , you are really kind , frankly I was very happy with the quality of the Hasegawa Models ( almost all my models have been from that company )

My list of best brands in order:
Eduard - their new tool kits are the finest I have ever come across

Hasegawa
Tamiya - they are world class leaders in Warship Models
Fine Molds - they also produced Model warships that are the equal to Tamiya

- Special Hobby - world class aircraft kits

8 hours ago, celt said:

As a Hurricane fan,what can I say but :wow::wow:and:wow:again.

thank you very much , both of you

I recommend the Moskit exhausts  for the Hurricane - they really do give it a wow factor , and the addition of the Squadron Canopy helps enormously ( I see a few Hasegawa Hurricanes on display

that didn't buy that addition - and it really hurts the model as you can't see the wonderful detail in the cockpit .

I also forgot to say that the runway diorama used 1/48 Diorama Scenic 3D Display Groundwork "Old Concrete" Sheet  - Manufactured by: Uschi

The grass is ' green-line ' grass , and is really effective at giving a realistic effect with different lengths of ' grass '

On 26/08/2017 at 18:58, 73north said:

I added ' Airfix ' old-tool wheels - as these are accurate , and are NOT Flattened ( I hate this look ) .

I sold off t

the Hase wheels  have too small hubs,  the old Airfix are poor in this detail.

An easy fix for  the  Hase  wheels is to drill out the hubs and use leftover from an Eduard Spitfire (all boxings have multiples)

On 26/08/2017 at 18:58, 73north said:

I understand that the new Airfix ( new tool ) Hurricane is a lovely kit - with an open canopy supplied , apparently the only faults are that the Leading edge machine gun openings are not drilled out

quite a lot  more wrong than that!  

see 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986216-148-airfix-new-tool-hurricane-mki-p3039-from-no229-squadron-completed-on-31-10-at-1150-pm/&

we still lack a really good OOB Hurricane in 1/48th :( 

• Like 1

There are a few opinions on the internet - about the New Tool Airfix Hurricane Mk .1 in 1/48 scale

Bad - https://www.jonbius.com/2015/08/25/more-heretical-thoughts-airfixs-148-hurricane-mk-i/

Wonderful - http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/airfix05127reviewbg_1.htm

95% out of 100% - http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=11200

Quote from Modelling Madness

" It seems to me that we can broadly generalize modelers into several categories. These often overlap so it does not pay to be pedantic about this (something that really carries over into everything in life). We have modelers who want the very newest and will be instantly dissatisfied with what, a few years earlier, they considered the best. We have modelers who want to have the most accurate finished product, regardless of whether that fidelity comes from the kit or from the myriad of aftermarket bits that are out there. We have modelers who are not all that concerned about what is paramount to the first two groups, but does want a kit that is relatively easy to build and looks like what it is supposed to be. Then we have modelers that just like to build models. These folks are not concerned with absolute fidelity, the newness of the kit or the ease of construction. They will build whatever draws their fancy at a particular point of time. A subtype of the last category are those who will build what they already have.

It matters not what group a modeler fits into. Each modeler is part of the whole of this hobby. Their outlooks on scale modeling are just as viable and valid as any other. Together, we are all not only encouraging manufacturers to provide what we want, but also to add our particular variety into the mix, making the community as a whole, rich and vibrant (as well as continuing to grow) "

did you like my Model , Troy Smith ? ..... I tried my best , and for me , the Hasegawa is still a lovely kit

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I love it...especially the insanely oversize 32 Squadron codes. I've wanted to do one of those but the Kajero book and decals are out of print and I don't really want a Ready for Battle set with all those trucks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 73north said:

did you like my Model , Troy Smith ? ..... I tried my best ,

I did, built, finished,  not procrastinated over.   very neat, :goodjob:

I added the comments as,  well,  the poor old Hurricane does tend to get second best.

If  the faults i link had been on a Spitfire kit......

Airfix basically scaled up  their 72nd fabric wing,  and I'm still annoyed I didn't go over that in detail and spot the faults in that, as I'd have been on the train to Margate if I had and been  banging on Airfix's door....

I'm not too bothered if a fault is easy  to fix,   the Hurricane kit isn't.   Neither is the Hasegawa, as they stuffed up the fabric.

20 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Well I love it...especially the insanely oversize 32 Squadron codes. I've wanted to do one of those but the Kajero book and decals are out of print and I don't really want a Ready for Battle set with all those trucks.

Look (or ask in the wanted section just for the decals) for the OLD tool Airfix Mk.I,  as this had a 32 squadron option for many years,   funnily enough Airfix got the codes right in that, the starbaord side reads GZ-B ,  not as the Ready For Battle set has it B-GZ (as did Hasegawa)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983012-surprise-new-148-release-from-airfix/&do=findComment&comment=2010931

the reason why  this is so used as an option, even ending upon a stamp

2A67AC8300000578-0-image-a-41_1436646027

,is that that a film unit was making a training film in July 1940, and their still photographer took all those iconic shots. 

they also took shots of 610 sq Spitfires as well.

As photography was banned on operational stations,   this is why these official shots have been used so often.

Worth noting that the 40 inch high codes must have come in at some point after late May 1940, as a 32 Sq   plane was captured in France with smaller  codes,the fin flash only came in in early May 1940

Hurricane_MK_1_GZ_X_000920.jpg

"It was on display at The "Beuteausstellung" in Leipzig from 25/08/1940 to 15/09/1940"

hope of interest.

• Like 2

On 31/08/2017 at 0:37 AM, Troy Smith said:

I did, built, finished,  not procrastinated over.   very neat, :goodjob:

I added the comments as,  well,  the poor old Hurricane does tend to get second best.

If  the faults i link had been on a Spitfire kit......

Airfix basically scaled up  their 72nd fabric wing,  and I'm still annoyed I didn't go over that in detail and spot the faults in that, as I'd have been on the train to Margate if I had and been  banging on Airfix's door....

I'm not too bothered if a fault is easy  to fix,   the Hurricane kit isn't.   Neither is the Hasegawa, as they stuffed up the fabric.

Look (or ask in the wanted section just for the decals) for the OLD tool Airfix Mk.I,  as this had a 32 squadron option for many years,   funnily enough Airfix got the codes right in that, the starbaord side reads GZ-B ,  not as the Ready For Battle set has it B-GZ (as did Hasegawa)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983012-surprise-new-148-release-from-airfix/&do=findComment&comment=2010931

the reason why  this is so used as an option, even ending upon a stamp

2A67AC8300000578-0-image-a-41_1436646027

,is that that a film unit was making a training film in July 1940, and their still photographer took all those iconic shots. 

they also took shots of 610 sq Spitfires as well.

As photography was banned on operational stations,   this is why these official shots have been used so often.

Worth noting that the 40 inch high codes must have come in at some point after late May 1940, as a 32 Sq   plane was captured in France with smaller  codes,the fin flash only came in in early May 1940

Hurricane_MK_1_GZ_X_000920.jpg

"It was on display at The "Beuteausstellung" in Leipzig from 25/08/1940 to 15/09/1940"

hope of interest.

As always with anything Hurricane related, it is Troy. Many thanks.