Spot of the Day Part 2

Just seen a lovely BRG Esprit in Winchester High Street.  Not the greatest pic, sorry.

38523855296_e055c2aaf4_b.jpg

By the way, the little Old Fashioned Sweetie Shop behind is run by BM'er rob Lyttle.

Cheers

Will

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, malpaso said:

By the way, the little Old Fashioned Sweetie Shop behind is run by BM'er rob Lyttle.

Apologies if you had to clean the shop window yesterday Rob after me slobbering all over it - I wasn't allowed inside, being dragged away by swmbo & daughter before I could spend all my pocket money....!!

Keith

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2017 at 6:59 PM, Vince1159 said:

An Allegro,wouldn't give it a second thought but Maxis are a different story (cough)....

My Cousin swore by the Maxi, most stable towing car ever he said, I thought it looked like a car Grandad would drive, me, being young wanted something a bit more modern and sporty....like a 950 Fiesta....maybe:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

My Cousin swore by the Maxi, most stable towing car ever he said, I thought it looked like a car Grandad would drive, me, being young wanted something a bit more modern and sporty....like a 950 Fiesta....maybe:banghead:

An uncle swore by his a few times,i'll never forget one day he'd been shopping lifted the tailgate to put the stuff in and crash,one of the hinges broke and it fell over the drivers side rear wing (it was only about 5yrs old)....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pete in Lincs said:

They generally looked a bit shabby 40 years ago though.

When I were a lad I quite fancied owning one. I know it was a Morris Minor on steroids, but would have made a nice first car. My dad had a Wolseley 6/99.

• Like 1

Two, on successive days;

Yesterday a converted Anglia Van with side and rear windows, in a dark blue, I would think it was around 50 years old, looked in good condition;

and today a dark green Karmann Ghia 2 + 2 coupe on an H plate, looked in lovely condition, the drive looked pi .. ed, actually; wandering all over the road. My wife actually asked me to hang right back as she didn't trust the driver. Given I didn't want a potentially drunk driver go into me, I was happy (just this once !) to oblige her.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove past Lincoln police HQ early this morning.

About 7:40 (still dark) and two police cars in 'battenberg' blue & yellow colours were waiting to come out onto the main road.

The rearmost one was a two door coupe and was, I think, a Ford Mustang! Either that or a Nissan GTR!

This evening in heavy traffic South of Lincoln the Mini in front of me cooked it's clutch.

Tuesday I saw a BMW do the very same thing. Lots of evil smelling smoke.

I think drivers nowadays just sit there in gear & have no technical knowledge.

@Pete in Lincs, you'd have liked this! 

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_478760.html

On your other point, I don't have much technical knowledge, but I know not to sit on the clutch for an extended period. That's just basic driving knowledge. Maybe it's linked to the number of people who can't do a hill start. I live somewhere that is pretty much all hill, and I've got into the habit of crossing the road at least three feet behind a car that's waiting at a junction, because I've had to jump out of the way so many times when they've rolled back.:shrug:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CurrantBunbury said:

Maybe it's linked to the number of people who can't do a hill start.

That's why cars are getting overloaded with tons of useless gadgets like hill start assist - if people can't do a hill start they shouldn't have a driving licence. Same if they can't observe a vehicle in front braking & need the car to do it for them, or know how to turn the lights on when it gets dark...!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Anyways, yesterday a very tidy looking Mk2 Golf GTi in a nice dark metallic green...

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can confirm the aforementioned Police car is indeed a Ford Mustang.

Apparently they call it Sally.

By sheer coincidence today I saw one of these South of Lincoln in dark red. 

Mint looking and gorgeous on a C reg plate so I'm guessing a '65.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnAHULyc-4WQwE6eODCF3

• Like 2

Saw a Mondeo MK.II ST24 V6. I know it's not very exciting, and with only 168bhp, not very sporty either compared to the later 'ST's.  Just checked online and there are only 400 of all production years on the roads now... You're statistically more likely to spot an Aston Martin Vanquish than one of these!

Ford Mondeo Jan 1997 brochure 16-17 ST24

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 3

Within the space of 5 minutes earlier today, two first generation Subaru Impreza WRX's. One N reg in a lovely dark metallic green parked next to me in the local Iceland car park, absolutely stunning condition and not a speck of dirt on it. Then driving home, one in the classic early solid dark blue & gold wheel rally scheme - and it was so dirty it looked like it had just done a couple of RAC Rally stages....!!

Keith

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few months I've kept seeing glimpses of a car down a driveway which at first glance appeared to be a Ferrari 250GTO with the roof cut off to make a convertible .  Although it wears Ferrari badges , my thoughts have been that it's obviously some sort of kit car type thing since :

i) I doubt anyone living in Manor Way in Crewe is rich enough to be spending 40 million quid on a car

ii) Even if they were , I can't see them hacking the roof off it

iii) When I saw if from the front the bodywork was distinctly ripply , suggesting it's actually glassfibre .

Finally , the other day I finally saw the registration number & ran it through the DVLA website , revealing that it's actually a Mazda MX5 .  What a disappointment .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1