Spot of the Day Part 2

On the back of a recovery truck, looking like a project on the way to

a new owner in Gainsborough today. The driver had stopped to call for directions.

A 1960 Peugeot 403 Station wagon.

0c48903b8bcecf998327e86c8e74c21d.jpg

Nowhere hear as good as this one though. Someone has their work cut out!

I think it should look pretty good with some mild custom touches. 

• Like 1

Saw a mint bright orange mk 1 Fiesta in the car park at work on Friday .  It looked like a standard 1100 or 950 . 

On the way to the garage yesterday I saw a Droopsnoot Firenza , also in very good condition 

Ah, the 950 Fiesta. You could change down 

to make it go faster, but it just made it noisier.

And the Droopsnoot always reminds me of Gerry Marshall.

I used to watch him racing at Mallory, & he & Roger Clark

once walked into a pub I was in. Motoring legends both.

• Like 2

On 27/08/2017 at 6:25 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, the 950 Fiesta. You could change down 

to make it go faster, but it just made it noisier.

And the Droopsnoot always reminds me of Gerry Marshall.

I used to watch him racing at Mallory, & he & Roger Clark

once walked into a pub I was in. Motoring legends both.

The biggest problem with the 950 Fiesta was not that it had no performance , but that it had even less in the way of brakes since , unlike the 1100 and bigger variants , it had no servo . Dreadful car . 

Agreed on Gerry Marshall and Roger Clark - true stars . 

A couple of unusual spots on the M25 this afternoon:

• An immaculate Bedford J Type on a trailer, in a very fetching two tone blue.
  • An original Lotus Elan in full 60s orange.

Karl

On 28/08/2017 at 8:46 PM, rs2man said:

The biggest problem with the 950 Fiesta was not that it had no performance , but that it had even less in the way of brakes since , unlike the 1100 and bigger variants , it had no servo . Dreadful car . 

Many moons ago I was asked to look at the brakes on my cousin's then GFs Fiesta as she thought the brakes weren't very good.  I jumped in it and went tearing off as fast as it would go, not very fast as it happens, but fast enough for me to have a near heart attack when I applied the brake pedal at the top of the street! 

Fitted new brake pads, took it for a test drive and decided that it had made no difference whatsoever, the owner seemed delighted though as she thought they were a huge improvement. 

Fast forward to 2015 and I'm test driving a Mk1 Fiesta 950 Pop in Torquay for my stepson as he wasn't old enough at the time to drive it. Forewarned is forearmed and no heart attack this time. Brakes are still rubbish.

Drove it from Torquay back to Leicester and did about 1500 miles in it over the next year until the MoT ran out. Stepson still hasn't driven it! Although he's fully prepared for the brakes, he tells me the brakes aren't much better on his Citroën Saxo.

Car is now on our drive being restored with major welding repairs ongoing. There's a lot of panels that are no longer available and a good deal of scratchbuilding going on, the master cylinder has failed now and you can't get them off the shelf these days.....

I'm not a Ford man by any means (Old Skodas and Minis are more my bag) but its charms have grown on me.

Be glad when it's finished though.

• Like 2

Re the Ford Fiesta Popular. Mrs H before we married bought a new one from a local dealer. She wanted a beige one (well it was the mid 80's and people had weird tastes in colour then!).

When I checked the tailgate it said 'Fiesta C' rather than Popular (or Popular Plus) and in a sad kind of way we thought it rather exclusive :lol:.

Dont remember the brakes being any worse than contemporary cars (I also drove dad's Beetle) or even having weightlifter biceps in lieu of power steering (only expensive cars had that then).

If you see E86 VBG somewhere (unlikely), give it a wave from me.

Trevor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Dont remember the brakes being any worse than contemporary cars

It would appear all Mk2 Fiestas like yours had the luxury of a brake servo - You lucky man :smile:

It would also appear that your car hasn't been taxed or MoT'd since 2000 according to the DVLA.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

It would appear all Mk2 Fiestas like yours had the luxury of a brake servo - You lucky man :smile:

Not so - the 950 horror of which I have experience was , now I come to think about it , a Mk2 , though it was on an A plate , so was a very early one .  That certainly had no servo .  To make it even more "desirable" , it was painted hearing aid beige .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3