Caudron Renault Cr.714 C1 How to paint camoiflage

Jack109

Good day

I Picked up a cheap Caudron Renault and the camouflage its very hard to make, I am thinking of french one.

Is it possible to use Airbrush or better do random with a brush

pleas give me your ideas because I dont have idea how to do a proper job..

thanks

Hi, Jack. I've just finished a couple of old Heller and Smer kits, a Caudron 714 and a Breguet 693 bought cheaply for experimenting different modelling techniques. 

I did a little research on camouflage and frankly, there was a lot of conflicting information. I decided to attempt the Viche France armee de l'air which involved the red and yellow stripes demanded by the German High Command. The rest of the camo seemed to be various shades of green, brown, khaki with a little bit of grey.

Some modellers have used a deep shade of red as well which I think may be confusion over the French word marron which is actually brown rather than maroon, but then what do I know? :shrug: Mine are brush painted.

11 hours ago, Jack109 said:

Thanks @VG 33 do you have a photo of the result? thanks

to upload a photo I use Imgbb works super easily

I built this one for the French GB in 2015 but sadly all the pictures have disappeared. When I am back home I will looking for them as I have not the kit anymore.

Patrick

23 hours ago, Jack109 said:

Good day

I Picked up a cheap Caudron Renault and the camouflage its very hard to make, I am thinking of french one.

Is it possible to use Airbrush or better do random with a brush

pleas give me your ideas because I dont have idea how to do a proper job..

thanks

the camo is the same for any options, which are French and Finnish

if you google  image "cr714 vesivehmaa"   you will get pics of the one that was in Finland,  in the original paint eg

ca-556%20a.jpg

4885393015_dae6c22c9d_b.jpg

base colour is blue-grey, with patches of olive green and chocolate brown,  all standard French colours.

may well be the green is the base, with the brown and grey over, look at the pics in the link

714stbd_wing.jpg

correct names on this Hataka pait guide

AS16_Back.png

the Cr714 pics show Brun Fonce, and either Vert or Kaki Francais,  but as the airframe is now in France,  the actual colours will be known.

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 2

As far as I remeber the only squadron which used Caudron 714 in defence of France was Polish GC 1/145. The are photos of a group of almost all surviving May-June 1940 campaign machines done by Germans 

Each machine has a different kind of patches, you can easily notice it in RS kit:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Caudron 714

Here are some photos which clearly shows invidual differencies:

http://facet.interia.pl/historia/news-caudron-renault-cr-714-legenda-trafi-do-krakowa,nId,1724072

scan1012.jpg

And the decals:

Podobny obraz

Regarding brush/airbrush - I think on orginal machine camo was done by airbrushing, however in the scale i did brush work on mine C 714 \.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the replies. 

I gave It a try to my First free Gand air brush experience without any masking...

The result came out well in my opinion.. only thing I didnt choose so well the colors I used ! :)

I like this plane because looks loke the citroen ID 19 of 1970 in some ways...

Here the photo  of my result.. I wish I chose a different green and darker brown... anyway there it is...

this kit boosted 100 times my confidence in free hand airbrushing @VG 33 i follwed your suggestion

now I will apply decal and airbrush future on top.. I hope the green will come out with Future...

IMG_20170827_193301.jpg

Edited by Jack109
  • Like 2

I like her. The key to success is to thin up to 60-70% the paint to get very fine borders. Yes the brown should have been darker. But you can paint it again if you do not have put the roundels.

Here is an example with a Special Hobby 1/72 MS 406 in Gunze paint:

m_346732193_0.jpg

m_346732194_0.jpg

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 2

@VG 33 I am afraiid its too Late now. its finished.. maybe I will do some weathering.

I might buy innfuture a nicer kit and do it properly... anyway when you mean 60/70% tinned. I use vallejo model air, if I thin it its too runny.

Which is the tecnique to do fine lines with airbrusch? which the key steps. I removed the noozle protector and stayed as close as possible to the model. I ve an eclipse so it should be ok,

Ps. I know I got lazy and I paint brushed the canopy with a bad result... but this canopy is terrible... doesnt even have lines to follow for the masking!

IMG_20170828_081446.jpg

Edited by Jack109
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion only the brown colour is wrong, it looks more like ochre/sand for desert camouflage. I think you still can overspray it with darker brown! The free-hand painting went very well, congratulations!

In order to obtain very fine lines the paint should be well-diluted (thin), the pressure set on the lowest possible, and you have to spray from the close distance, with a little amount of paint.
With such little painting distance too much paint or too much pressure will blow the paint away before it dries, creating "stars" or "amoeba-like" - so some training is necessary.

I painted 2 Caudrons from Heller with brush but was a poor work, this scheme goes well with airbrush or a careful hand with brush, the grey of the Finnish plane in vertical in sunshine gives a good view of it. The brown seems to be in two shades light and dark but the light on tailplane only. Thanks x the pic.

• Like 1