A visit to the BoB Memorial

corsaircorp

Hello Dears,

Just a few photos from my :fuyou_2: Cell phone, it was 9 PM

We had an hour to spend for the ferry and so, here's my only split from my promise to my kids !

WP_20170825_20_01_27_Pro

Here's the gate signal,

and the center of the black wall with all the names

WP_20170825_20_10_13_Pro

Kinda like the Viet Nam mémorial in DC, but very well done.

This not finished yet of course

WP_20170825_20_03_44_ProWP_20170825_20_03_25_Pro

Both 2 are replicas, and to me, it is not a problem, since in the salt air right over this ...

WP_20170822_07_03_12_Pro

Real a/c would have suffered a lot !

WP_20170825_20_11_45_Pro

Here's the center of the monument, it represent a propeller, a 3 bladed one.

There's a club house and info center that has the shape of an elliptic wing, very nice place, moving but relaxing !

WP_20170825_20_10_53_Pro

There is also a bust of Keith Park, but the photo was bad so I show this one from Picaddilly

WP_20170823_12_10_41_Pro

Even the Aerodrome dogs are remembered, and this is justice !

WP_20170825_20_03_07_Pro

So, not the best shot at all, but just to share with you.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 10

2 hours ago, cngaero said:

Nice photos. That's one place near the top of my bucket list.

Thanks for sharing them.

You're welcome,

Easy to find, you go for the Dover ferry Harbour, last exit before the ferry one.

Signaling is pretty good.

Will be back there when it is open, some interesting stuff in the info center seemingly.

Highly recommended.

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing those Alain. I visited there with my son when we were in the UK nearly 3 years ago. Hell was it that long? :unsure: I seemed to have some breathing difficulty after reading the inscriptions. A most moving place in a superb spot.

Steve.

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks for sharing those Alain. I visited there with my son when we were in the UK nearly 3 years ago. Hell was it that long? :unsure: I seemed to have some breathing difficulty after reading the inscriptions. A most moving place in a superb spot.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Breathing difficulties ?? I experienced Something like that, and may be it is the salt air but feel my eyes very moisturized .

Same thing in Hendon, you know that place a page of that big book is turned every morning.

Knowing the number of the casualties is a thing, but seeing all the names writed side by side on this wall

First time in DC, I've got the same slap on the face at the Viet Nam mémorial impressive _

Have a very nice modelling day 8

Sincerely.

Alf

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I live about 10 minutes drive from the BoB memorial but don't go there often enough. Just down the road, toward Folkestone, is the Capel Gun Battery site; there's not much to see on the surface but the plotting room, shelter and dressing station (which are underground) are opened occasionally. I've got some photographs somewhere, I'll post them when I find them.

Not far away is the Hawkinge BoB museum, somewhere else I don't go to often enough, which is well worth a visit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Beard said:

I live about 10 minutes drive from the BoB memorial but don't go there often enough. Just down the road, toward Folkestone, is the Capel Gun Battery site; there's not much to see on the surface but the plotting room, shelter and dressing station (which are underground) are opened occasionally. I've got some photographs somewhere, I'll post them when I find them.

Not far away is the Hawkinge BoB museum, somewhere else I don't go to often enough, which is well worth a visit.

Hello Beard,

Never get in Hawkinge, but I surely will in one of my next trip.

In November I booked a mad trip in UK with my friend

Dover to Yeovilton, Yeovilton for 2 days in Telford, then Cosford, Duxford and Hendon !

Will not be a relaxing trip ! I will drive all the way, Pierre did'nt want to try the left hand driving :rofl2:

Thank for the tips !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks for posting those pictures CC :thumbsup2: 

I will visit.

On my birthday this year I went to the Australian War Memorial, here in Canberra.

I had similar breathing difficulties:

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

:poppy: 

If any of you travel here I would strongly recommend the AWM; plus I would be very happy to meet and visit it with you :)

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Any way Dears,

If one of you plan to came here in Belgium,

Will bring you in lots of moving place believe me !

And then a good beer will help to recover !

You're welcome !

Sincerely, and thank for sharing !

CC

• Like 2

Thanks for your photos Corsaircorp.

Your view from the sea is of Langdon Cliffs to the North and East of Dover Harbour, the eastern arm of which is visible on the left.  Dover Castle is out of shot further to the left, beneath which are the Napoleonic underground works which were modified and extended to provide a command centre during World War 2.  This area is about eight or nine miles north east from the Battle of Britain memorial.

The two masts above the cliffs are on the site of Swingate Down aerodrome, from which II, 3, 4 and 6 Squadrons RFC flew to France in World War 1: in World War 2 it was a Chain Home radar site.  The small dark grey building at the top of the slope above the cliffs is the [relatively] modern Coastguard station which replaced the older one further up the coast (very out of shot to the right) at St Margaret's Bay.  

The apparent lopsided terracing of and above the cliffs marks the route of the former railway used to transport coal inland from the docks and stores for the gun batteries also located at St Margaret's.

I lived in the area for 27 years and I have still not visited the memorial at Capel, much to my shame and regret.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank Stever,

dear, you know the place !!

For us, it is just cliffes, I knew that there some radar mast from photos of the time being !

But all that story behind...:yes:

Will never look at the white cliffes the same way !

Thank for sharing, I really enjoy !

Sincerely

CC

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Thanks for posting those pictures CC :thumbsup2: 

I will visit.

On my birthday this year I went to the Australian War Memorial, here in Canberra.

I had similar breathing difficulties:

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

:poppy: 

If any of you travel here I would strongly recommend the AWM; plus I would be very happy to meet and visit it with you :)

Best regards 

TonyT

This corporal is exactly the kind of guy I used to work with when I was Young !

Seem that I'm not healed yet ! These guys are great ! respect !

Thank for sharing.

Sincerely.

CC

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Thank Stever,

dear, you know the place !!

For us, it is just cliffes, I knew that there some radar mast from photos of the time being !

But all that story behind...:yes:

Will never look at the white cliffes the same way !

Thank for sharing, I really enjoy !

Sincerely

CC

I used to cycle along the cliff paths to get to and from work at Dover Eastern Docks if I wanted to watch the ships or avoid the main road.  As a child my grandfather would take me there with my brother and sisters.

There is a plaque on Upper Road near the masts, leading from just behind Dover Castle to St Margaret's, commemorating the departure of II, 3, 4 and 6 Squadrons.  It used to be on a section of hangar floor: the door tracks were still in place at the end of the 1980s but the Misery of Disarmament Ministry of Defence has fenced off that area and the plaque has been relocated.

Most of what had been RAF Hawkinge, just inland from Folkestone, disappeared under a housing estate in the 1970s: the M20 motorway and the Maggie's Hole Channel Tunnel terminal and A20 link road accounted for much of the rest.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stever219 said:

I used to cycle along the cliff paths to get to and from work at Dover Eastern Docks if I wanted to watch the ships or avoid the main road.  As a child my grandfather would take me there with my brother and sisters.

There is a plaque on Upper Road near the masts, leading from just behind Dover Castle to St Margaret's, commemorating the departure of II, 3, 4 and 6 Squadrons.  It used to be on a section of hangar floor: the door tracks were still in place at the end of the 1980s but the Misery of Disarmament Ministry of Defence has fenced off that area and the plaque has been relocated.

Most of what had been RAF Hawkinge, just inland from Folkestone, disappeared under a housing estate in the 1970s: the M20 motorway and the Maggie's Hole Channel Tunnel terminal and A20 link road accounted for much of the rest.

Maggie's Hole :rofl2:

Misery of disarmament :rofl2:

Thank Lord, british humor is still alive !

I knew at the time another nickname for the tunnel

They use to call it "The sewer" because it Spill some frenchies in UK ! :rofl2:

Obviously, the nickname has been returned by the french, just changing the role play !

Don't you worry ! dear, Belgium is far worst in that game !

In a few years we will no longer have anything, tracked vehicles are already gone !

Air bases are disappearing one by one !

Military Barracks are refurbished for the refugees, for the soldiers it was good enough !

Can tell a lot more from that point of view !

Thank for sharing !

Sincerely.

CC