Getting Paint to Stick to AFV Club Vinyl Tracks

Brad-M

Guys/Gals,

Does anyone here have a tip (besides buying AM tracks) to get paint to stick/remain on AFV Club vinyl tracks? I have tried all forms of paint and no luck. I am building the AFV Club M41A3 Walker Bulldog, and it's a nice kit. I also bought their nice looking workable click to install tracks, but the track pads are separate vinyl pads, and paint will not stick to this stuff. It flakes off. If anyone has experience dealing with these tracks, or painting their vinyl tracks, please share the secrets.

Thanks and cheers

Brad

Brad, I was going to suggest polyurethane primer, which worked for me on other manufacturer's tracks, but I noticed that AFVC tracks do feel kind of odd. It wouldn't surprise me if nothing sticks well, but I replaced mine (just as AFVC wants us to do, I suspect) so I can't test it now. Anyway, someone with your username asked this at Armorama in 2011... ;) It came up at the top of a search just now. If that was you, did none of their suggestions work this time around?

Not even lacquer primer? Well, I think that my suggestion of poly primer (e.g. Vallejo, Ammo One Shot, etc.) is probably your last hope, as it has some give. Unless you've tried that as well.

Edited by Ade H

Brad

just a thought (I do have 'em from time to time!) have you tried coating the tracks with a PVA solution first?

I believe Elmers or 'Krazy Glu'? are pre-dilluted PVA? Once the PVA is dry, paint as normal.

HTH

Paul

• Like 1

I can confirm that, unfortunately, polyurethane seems to be only partially effective. I found my old AFVC tracks and tested one. The primer bends and stretches well, but must be handled gently because it can be scratched off as though it hadn't cured.

Thanks Paul. I'll try that for the next ones. So far I have been successful using a clear matte coat. It is still flakey, but not as bad as before.

Brad

32 minutes ago, Ade H said:

......................The primer bends and stretches well, but must be handled gently because it can be scratched off as though it hadn't cured.

Gotcha!!!!! STOP playing with 'em on the carpet.................:wicked:

• Confused 1