Hello Guys,

I've just started with a Revell Merlin HMA1 kit which I intend to convert to a Merlin Mk2 - externally, anyway, at least. I've added a couple of pilots from an old Puma kit and made a very simple pistol and cartridge stowage, first aid kit and fire extinguisher for the cockpit. Very early days but here it is so far:

5QX68Vc.jpg

3IgShql.jpg

V5mcxoU.jpg

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 3

Very nice indeed, is this kit the same as the Italeri one or a different moulding?

I have an Italeri HMA1 to play with next year

Following you with this, I need info for the one I'm going to do

:)

• Like 1

From what I read somewhere it is a different kit. A couple of reviews say that one is a better kit whilst the other has better decals. I'm guessing the revell one is the bad decal kit although it does have some subtle innacuracies dotted around here and there. Not complaining though, it's still good fun and fits together with minimal fuss so far! If I can offer any help with info when you get around to yours, please do let me know. 

• Thanks 1

Quick update:

I did some pre-shading, which I'm terrible at because I'm a rather clumsy airbrusher and I always end up plastering too much over the top for it to make much difference anyway. The fuselage is now largely assembled.

pTCfLI1.jpg

Zn6BZKH.jpg

KIT8WB5.jpg

• Like 5

A bit more of an update for the tiny number of thread followers! The model is now fully assembled except for attaching the rotor blades. The main pain in converting a Merlin Mk.1 to a Merlin Mk.2 is in the aerials and various external protrusions. This has involved a combination of keeping some stuff the same, moving some of the aerials in the kit, omitting some entirely and crafting and fitting new aerials from spare parts - the highlight being snipping the warhead off a 1/56 scale Panzerfaust to fashion an aerial on top of the tail rotor drive shaft.

Other little jobs have included using a dark ink wash on the inside of the cockpit windows to add a dark tint to the upper windows, snipping the arms for the pilot's mirrors, which in the kit are so long they are in danger of generating lift themselves, and working out which of the original instructions are completely wrong - such as the bit which tells you to completely sever the top half of the cargo door detachable panel to fit a massive window - don't do that, even if you're building it as a Mk.1! Anyhow, lots of work to go still but here's where we are so far:

dDp9mw8.jpg

CTLbuy1.jpg

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 7

A little bit more neatening up the painting and highlighting, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through somewhere near 200 decals. Not wanting to be negative, but I've got to agree with the reviews out there - the decals are truly terrible. Many are the wrong size, and without micro sol or something similar I wouldn't have had a chance with them. Anyhow, here's where we're up to:

EqTe826.jpg

• Like 6

I was quietly confident I'd be able to get this kit able to spread and fold the main rotor and the tail boom. I was wrong. I magnetised the tail boom which is just about workable, but the mechanic for the main rotor head is really terrible. IT's fine for assembling the model with the head spread for flight, but folding is poor. It's quite a lot to ask for a model to have a fully foldable head, but even if you wanted to depict this model as folded below deck, the actual way of assembling that to facilitate isn't really viable. The diagram in the instructions of the aircraft folded is not even close to accurate - 1 out of the 5 blades is correctly positioned, and that's the blade that goes straight over the tail pylon so doesn't fold anyway. Anyhow, I thought I'd at least share one photo before I abandon my lofty plan and just glue the main rotors on properly:

MgZNy2p.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job - bit late now, but somehow I'd missed this build! 

How much of a pain would it be for you to set out the differences between the Mk 1 & Mk 2?  [Edit: just seen the list in RFI!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU