Hi Guys,

I've been coming here on and off for a while now with various technical questions for projects, so I thought it was about time I put my money where my mouth is and actually post something. This is the first scale model I've made about 15 years, and last time I tried something I had no idea of techniques and no money to buy proper colours, air brushes etc. So with that in mind, please go easy as I'm both a beginner and out of practise!

This is the Airfix Seafire L.III, straight out of the box with Eduard etched brass cockpit details. I've done nothing else, other than my first attempt at scribing as the fuselage is an old mould and a friend of mine said I should! I went very easy on weathering as I know this is easy to get carried away with, but I've subsequently increased the dirt and stains on the underside of the aircraft.

If any other beginners are considering this model, I'd probably recommend to look elsewhere. I've got a couple of years experience with wargaming - some of the skills are transferable, some are not - but things like attaching the arrestor hook were a huge job because the parts simply did not match up once the lower fuselage was cut away on the guidelines, resulting in a lot of man-hours being spent with modelling clay and filing. 

XVZs3pY.jpg

UvXULgt.jpg

7KHa5AK.jpg

zPl5bDm.jpg

JaqiyYC.jpg

9THrQlT.jpg

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you've done a good job on what is a bit of a Frankenstein kit. The original Airfix Mk Vb was decent enough for the time, but that thick Vc wing with heavily engraved detail does not sit well next to the original tooling. 

I've made a couple and the result can be quite satisfying. The only other game in town is the Special Hobby kit, which has its own issues. Maybe one day Airfix will revisit the abc/Seafire based on their current Vb. 

Anyway. Welcome to the fold. Can't have enough Seafires, so onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2

Just popped to my local model shop for a browse. Was absolutely gutted to find a new 1/48 Seafire LIII in stock, but an infinitely better model all round with a far more interesting decal set: Reynauld' s "Merry Widow". It was even cheaper than the airfix one. I guess the only silver lining I can think of is that it forced me to learn scribing. Bloody hell!